2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

15 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

My last 3 games at MMP have been 9/24, when we got swept by KC, ALDS Game 2, and last night. Been real fun spending 3 of my last 5 Sundays watching us flounder. I think my in-person record for the year is something like 4-11.  I'm not setting foot in that stadium again until the College Classic in March. Don't care what happens tonight.

Just saw a stat that we've had 28 sellouts at MMP this year. We're 7-21 in those games.

How can a team save its absolute worst baseball for its biggest home crowds? It boggles the mind.

I think it starts out as a stretch of bad luck then becomes entirely mental. It absolutely has to be mental at this point. 

15 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

My last 3 games at MMP have been 9/24, when we got swept by KC, ALDS Game 2, and last night. Been real fun spending 3 of my last 5 Sundays watching us flounder. I think my in-person record for the year is something like 4-11.  I'm not setting foot in that stadium again until the College Classic in March. Don't care what happens tonight.

Just saw a stat that we've had 28 sellouts at MMP this year. We're 7-21 in those games.

How can a team save its absolute worst baseball for its biggest home crowds? It boggles the mind.

Play stupid games (refuse to start 2 of your 3 best MMP hitters) win stupid prizes (losing games you shoudn't)

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Not surprising. Just awful accuracy by the ump, calling those outside pitches sometimes. 

Why does this shit always seem to result in an advantage to whoever the Astros are playing?  I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but come the fuck on. Super fucking maddening. Count my vote for robo umps.

1 minute ago, Ojo Rojo said:

Why does this shit always seem to result in an advantage to whoever the Astros are playing?  I'm not a conspiracy theory guy, but come the fuck on. Super fucking maddening. Count my vote for robo umps.

Against the Twins it went our way 3 of 4 IIRC.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Scherzer gave up 5 hit, 5 runs and 1 walk in 4 innings in game 3. If he's still not 100% and a bit shaky, we may see Dunning pretty early, which isn't a bad thing. Still have a good chance to win it, they can't possibly lose 4 in a row at home, right? It's gonna be a crazy game.

2019 WS says hi.  We are already the only team in MLB history to lose 4 games in a postseason series at home.

They lost 5 straight at home 6/15-6/19 (5th game to Scherzer no less).  They then lost 4 straight at home again 9/1-9/3, & 9/8 this season alone

3 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

2019 WS says hi.  We are already the only team in MLB history to lose 4 games in a postseason series at home.

They lost 5 straight at home 6/15-6/19 (5th game to Scherzer no less).  They then lost 4 straight at home again 9/1-9/3, & 9/8 this season alone

Sunshine-pumping motherfucker.

• Haha 6

27 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Dana Brown’s house should burn to the ground if that happens. 

I think Dana’s comments on a radio show at the end of the season about dusty playing who he wants means he doesn’t want maldo back. 
To me, if maldo is back that means Dana is powerless. No need to burn his house down. He will just leave on his own. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Y'all are pretty hard on Dusty. Baseball isn't all statistics and logic and beep boop decisions arrived at through methodical reasoning. Baseball is magical.  It's instinctive. It ebbs and flows with the intangible, unquantifiable currents of the universe. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, turn off the targeting computer, and trust in the force.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 1

Y'all are pretty hard on Dusty. Baseball isn't all statistics and logic and beep boop decisions arrived at through methodical reasoning. Baseball is magical.  It's instinctive. It ebbs and flows with the intangible, unquantifiable currents of the universe. Sometimes you just have to close your eyes, turn off the targeting computer, and trust in the force.

Kind of like Singleton ph last night that Dusty thought up while on the shitter cause taco bell gave him a gut feeling that he thought was the baseball gods

Magical

3 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

the 790 guys said it best (and they tear in dusty on the regular) - dusty gets too much blame when we lose and too much credit when we win. he's a very good manager for this team 

• Haha 1

Play Chas and Diaz every day, and you will win a lot more. It's not hard, he just plays favorites for some reason and finds dumb excuses to start suboptimal players over them. Save Dubon as a defense sub for Uncle Mike towards the end of the game after your offense has put up 7+ runs.  If Maldy has to start, then swap him for Diaz as soon as the starter leaves the game. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

Play Chas and Diaz every day, and you will win a lot more. It's not hard, he just plays favorites for some reason and finds dumb excuses to start suboptimal players over them. Save Dubon as a defense sub for Uncle Mike towards the end of the game after your offense has put up 7+ runs.  If Maldy has to start, then swap him for Diaz as soon as the starter leaves the game. 

Literally if he just did that we could probably live with the asinine refusal to pull a pitcher from a game until blood is all over the mound bit but when you combined the two it's impossible not to get pissed as fuck at his stupidity.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Those are the same asswipe shitboxes who deny reality.  It's going to be funny as fuck when the banking system finally pukes it's guts out and they lose "their" money when the banks do bail-ins even though deposits in the banking system as collateral free loans to the banks.  Then they will stand around surprised as fuck that something happened and be whining and crying for daddy government to come save them ceding even more power from their already miserable lives.

Sir, this is a Wendy's

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

the 790 guys said it best (and they tear in dusty on the regular) - dusty gets too much blame when we lose and too much credit when we win. he's a very good manager for this team 

Baker has underachieved everywhere he has been. I’d rather have a an AI RoboManager over him any day of the week. He sucks. I’m sure @Wulaw Hornhas every stat and analysis available proving this.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Baker has underachieved everywhere he has been. I’d rather have a an AI RoboManager over him any day of the week. He sucks. I’m sure @Wulaw Hornhas every stat and analysis available proving this.

yeah.  When we do our first podcast after the playoffs are over we are going pen to paper to quantify how many games dusty fucked up for us.  I think it's going to between 4 and 6.  Which, in an industry where organizations wily commit felonies to get a few extra 1/10's of wins is unfathonomable.  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Paper_jam said:

He was driving last Saturday on his way to Houston on a hot Game 6 eve
Going home to play the Rangers and Boche with last years trophy in backseat
1 game to win, and he was running low on relievers because of a bean
It'd been a long, hard year

Dusty had a lot on his mind, and he didn't pay attention
He was going way too fast
Before he knew it, they were spinning pitches putting our batter on their ass
He saw playoff lives flash before his eyes
He didn't even have time to cry
H e was so scared
He threw her toothpick up in the air

Jesus, take the wheel
Take it from my hands
'Cause I can't do this on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
And save me from this home field I'm on
Jesus, take the wheel

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I think both sides are just hoping the opposing pitcher throws out some meatballs for them to smack. Who's gonna fuck up first tonight?  

Well since I’m in full pessimistic mode and my battered fan syndrome has erupted my luck  is sherzer those a gem and Javier doesn’t and they smash and we have our thumbs up our asses. This offense drives my liver insane. I still can’t believe we’re one game away from repeating 2019. 

Edited by Rockethorn1978

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well since I’m in full pessimistic mode and my battered fan syndrome has erupted my luck  is sherzer those a gem and Javier doesn’t and they smash and we have our thumbs up our asses. This offense drives my liver insane. I still can’t believe we’re one game away from repeating 2019. 

Just remind yourself that your baseball team has won four pennants and two world championships over the last seven seasons.

As a lifelong Houston sports fan, that's unbelievable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

The one thing I don't get about the Maldonado issue is - can't he call pitches from the dugout?

Because it’s completely fabricated. Diaz can call the same game. Only pitcher he needs to catch for is Framber because he is a lunatic. Verlander seems to prefer him but he would probably like some runs as well

• Hook 'Em 1