wc day 14 :: will the boys from brazil survive a russian assault

Hagbard Celine

8 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

It wasn’t perfectly constructed, but saying Sane is a magic cure is flawed as he’s never shown he’s good against a compact defense and it is highly unlikely that he would have space against any of the three opponents due to their strategies. 

Criticize Low’s decision to bring back Khedira, or his placement of Werner, or starting Goretzka when he hasn’t really played, but not bringing Sane is nowhere near why they went out early. 

Sane is a symptom, Low is the problem. Sane could have helped, if the tactics were set up to support his playstyle. The problem is the team didn’t seem to have any real idea of what it was doing. You put Werner up top, a guy that likes to be played in against teams that were stacking the back. You put wings and mids with Werner that don’t have the pace to match him. Sane, Brandt, Draxler, all compliment Werner on the wing. I don’t think germany had one true counter the entire tournament.  No pace!

You pinch your wings in to play the 4-2-3-1 and bring your fullbacks up to play the width. That exposes your old ass midfield to counters. You are also playing wings like Muller that aren’t going to get box to box to be able to cut out the danger on counters. Outside of Khedira I think the selections were good, the problem was putting them together properly. It seems like they never trained together. 

• Like 2

Interesting day to say the least.

Mexico con mucha buena suerte to advance after looking horrific against a side in Sweden whose FIFA ranking coming in was lower than Costa Rica. I think the win over Germany said more about Germany than it did Mexico and the Tri will get bounced by the Selecao in the Round of 16, as is par for the course for Mexico.

Nothing good happens for Germany in Russia.......nothing.

Brazil looked good when they needed to today.......still not feeling a title for them this year.....other than 1958 Brazil, no non-European team has won a WC in a UEFA host country  and the best 2 sides to this point have been Belgium and Croatia. Could be an all European semifinals the way the bracket is shaping up. 

CONCACAF look poor but that wasn't surprising to anyone that watched qualifying. Mexico will do what they always do, but Costa Rica is worse than 4 years ago, Panama shouldn't even be here, and we all know about the US issues. 

England-Belgium tomorrow. Loser may end up on an easier side of the bracket, but do you want to intentionally lose. If Belgium want to avoid Brazil for some reason that is what they would have to do or draw and have more yellow cards than England which is how the tiebreaker currently sits. Very interesting game. My guess is Belgium play to win and don't worry about Brazil, especially since they may very well be the better team. 

After stewing on this shit all day, I think I know what shocks me the most about Germany. They weren’t prepared. Mexico did more homework than Germany.  Germany never looked like it was on the front foot. They never had a gameplan that fit the opponent. The players looked tired and out of synch. So many bad touches. So many errant passes. So many missed runs. 

Germany has great athletes, but they aren’t a country that out-athletes teams. They don’t have superstars like Neymar, Messi, etc. They are precise, clinical. Little details always matter. These guys rolled in like the patch on the jersey was going to win them two games. Low completely shit the bed.

• Like 1

Had the players finished their chances, Germany would have been through to the next round with ease. Germany didn't fumble through the group without chances to win. The players choked, plain and simple. They were just fine in attack as they had the most attacking chances in the tournament by a fairly large margin, to date. They routinely failed to find the extra pass or screwed up their finishes. Maybe Sane or another player would have finished, who knows, but the players were put in a position to win every game by the coach.

25 minutes ago, pacman said:

Had the players finished their chances, Germany would have been through to the next round with ease. Germany didn't fumble through the group without chances to win. The players choked, plain and simple. They were just fine in attack as they had the most attacking chances in the tournament by a fairly large margin, to date. They routinely failed to find the extra pass or screwed up their finishes. Maybe Sane or another player would have finished, who knows, but the players were put in a position to win every game by the coach.

Löw didn’t put the best combination of players or best tactical approach for his team to win. He deserves all the shit he’s received and probably more.

22 minutes ago, pacman said:

There’s a difference between a chance and a quality chance. This game Germany had 3 I think?  Goretzka's header, Hummels whiff on a header, and Gomez whiff on the low cross. They spent almost the entire game against Mexico doing short corners that generated nothing. I’m not absolving the players, they definitely own their part in this, but their preparation is the coaches.  Germany never opened anyone up. Part of that is the other teams sitting deeper, but he coaches have to recognize that and adjust. Mexico showed the blueprint, Korea pretty much followed it.

Germany struggled in their friendlies leading up to the WC. Instead of fixing the issues, it seems like Low just doubled down on his favorites and hoped it would work out. I still can’t believe he started Khedira, Ozil, and Kroos again after seeing the Mexico game.

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

There’s a difference between a chance and a quality chance. This game Germany had 3 I think?  Goretzka's header, Hummels whiff on a header, and Gomez whiff on the low cross. They spent almost the entire game against Mexico doing short corners that generated nothing. I’m not absolving the players, they definitely own their part in this, but their preparation is the coaches.  Germany never opened anyone up. Part of that is the other teams sitting deeper, but he coaches have to recognize that and adjust. Mexico showed the blueprint, Korea pretty much followed it.

Germany struggled in their friendlies leading up to the WC. Instead of fixing the issues, it seems like Low just doubled down on his favorites and hoped it would work out. I still can’t believe he started Khedira, Ozil, and Kroos again after seeing the Mexico game.

This is what has me shaking my head. Although Kroos is on the field for me. They seemed so fluid and free in the Confederation Cup last year. My German cousin's son, who is on the German U17 team, said they didn't deserve to play through. As simple as that. The media will be brutal.

2 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Sorry, these are just funny. 

They apparently also picked up a random Korean tourist at the game watching in Mexico City and paraded him off.  

It would be hilarious if he wasn't really Korean, but just thought "Hey, I'm Asian. They'll never know one way or the other." and just went with it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Hummels missed about 3 opportunities in the small part that I was watching. 

For a tall German, he sucks at headers.

Edited by Napoleon

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It would be hilarious if he wasn't really Korean, but just thought "Hey, I'm Asian. They'll never know one way or the other." and just went with it.

At first, I assumed he was just a “Chino” they found, but since I couldn’t be sure I gave the fans the benefit of the doubt.

28 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Hummers missed about 3 opportunities in the small part that I was watching. 

For a tall German, he sucks at headers.

Where's Klose when you need him?

Seriously though, Germany was abysmal on corners.  They took a ton of them in their three games and they didn't score on a single one.  And they often just said fuck it and went with the short corner bullshit.

Booger Eater fucked up.  A competent coach would have realized he needed someone creative who could make shit happen around the goal.  That Mueller and Draxler and Ozil just weren't going to get it done.  And after that first loss to Mexico, how in the fucking world do you trot Khedira and Ozil back out there in this game?  Especially after some of your subs showed you flashes of brillance against Mexico and Sweden.  If Boateng hadn't stupidly gotten sent off against Sweden, I guarantee you Low would have had him out there, too, even though he looked slow and pathetic the entire time he was in. 

Low is the Jon Gruden of international soccer.  He can win with another coach's All-World players, but when it's on him to put together a roster that has some weaknesses and work it to his squad's advantage he trips over his own dick.  Germany wasn't going to repeat as champs, but there's no reason they shoudn't have made it out of the group.  You can't score a single goal against South fucking Korea?  C'mon, man.  That's just embarrassing.

I will say though, credit to South Korea.  They played some great defense and their keeper played out of his fucking mind. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Low is the Jon Gruden of international soccer.  He can win with another coach's All-World players, but when it's on him to put together a roster that has some weaknesses and work it to his squad's advantage he trips over his own dick.

Just asking, how many of the trophy winners 4 years ago featured for Juergen 8 years prior?