US Open - LA Country Club north courses

Wally Fairway

12 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

@kingkoopa6 How is that course for the gallery? The NLU guys had expressed a concern that it wouldn’t be a great experience. 

I thought it was pretty terrible. I walked the whole thing on Tuesday other than holes 2-4 and didn’t really see a spot I loved while also not liking the flow if you were going to try to follow a group around. Immediately texted my buddy that it was going to be way better to watch on tv. 

• Rage+1 1

On 6/13/2023 at 4:56 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I just came from there. I don’t think it’s going to be a big problem for those guys. Huge green. It will be like trying to hit a fairway for then with a 3/5 wood. Don’t get me wrong I don’t expect many birdies, but I bet it doesn’t play all that hard. 
I hate 6. Nobody going to go for it at 320. Need to move it up to 280 or 290 if you want to turn it into a true decision hole. 
4 things I noticed:

Great and picturesque setting 

wide fairways for an open. 
rough isnt all that bad for an open imo. 
bunkers will be a bitch. All tricked out. Gnarly rough. Goofy sand. 

So yeah, didn’t know anyone was going to tie tin cups all time record for a major, but wasn’t expecting it to be a typical US Open test and it’s certainly not so far. 
there’s just no defense for this course for the pros, at least except maybe the bunkers, and that’s not all that big a deal. There’s also just not much in the way of trouble for them out there. 

12 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

One thing that pisses me off about the LACC is that it sits on 313 prime acres in Beverly Hills that I’ve seen value estimates as high as $6-9 billion. They pay $300K/yr.  in property taxes. Are they classified as a church? No wonder California is broke. 

Different tax structure than Texas and some other states.  Property taxes in California are relatively low.  The better country clubs in Houston, for example, pay around $1 million or more per year in property taxes on a value that's probably less than 5% of the value of LACC.  So it's apples and oranges. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I thought it was pretty terrible. I walked the whole thing on Tuesday other than holes 2-4 and didn’t really see a spot I loved while also not liking the flow if you were going to try to follow a group around. Immediately texted my buddy that it was going to be way better to watch on tv. 

You can say this about any golf tournament 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Just saw phil take of his sunglasses while contemplating his long-ass par putt on 1.

Holy shit he looks like burnt fuck run over. Aged 10+ in the last 2 years it looks like.

rick james cocaine GIF

Dude can still swing it, though. 

13 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Oh definitely. It was more a remark to how much this whole ordeal has taken an obvious physical toll on him.

Reap what you sew of course, but dayum. 

At the PGA the NLU guys said he looked like Al Pacino in Any Given Sunday. 

any-given-sunday-al-pacinojpg.thumb.jpg.a331311bb005c6467b156e6f08a4d647.jpg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

Different tax structure than Texas and some other states.  Property taxes in California are relatively low.  The better country clubs in Houston, for example, pay around $1 million or more per year in property taxes on a value that's probably less than 5% of the value of LACC.  So it's apples and oranges. 

I understand that. It’s just dumb that LACC has an assessed value of $40M when, in reality, it should be 100x+ that. I don’t think that’s what Prop 13 was supposed to accomplish. 

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I understand that. It’s just dumb that LACC has an assessed value of $40M when, in reality, it should be 100x+ that. I don’t think that’s what Prop 13 was supposed to accomplish. 

That’s exactly what it was supposed to accomplish 

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Based on the early returns, it appears that the USGA toughened up the course considerably. 

Yesterday there were 37 golfers under par. So far today there are 24 golfers under par with a good chunk left to tee off. I'd expect todays scoring average to pretty close to yesterdays.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Holy fuck this group in front of Rory and Brooks has spent like 20 mins dicking around in the trees. 

It's Harman apparently. Hit the fucking ball dude. 

They have been causing Rory & Brooks to wait constantly all fucking day. It’s been a beating following that featured group. 

34 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Jordan is having a Speithy day.

Anyone else get the sense that Greller may be getting the boot soon? I dont think hes a bad caddie at all, but sometimes a player just needs a change. It feels like they are constantly not on the same page.

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think Koepka is going to walk up there and strangle him. 

And i would have no problems at all with it. Dude is slow playing them big time.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wow. Rory def kicked it up coming in. 

Rolling it an inch from the hole on 9 (18th hole) was wild to watch. Then Matsuyama sticks it close too. 

Then there’s Koepka.

In the bunker. “You’re away.”

Rolls it 20ft past the hole. “Still away.”

Putts. “Still away.”

😂

Rory seems to get the better of Koepka when they play together but maybe I'm making it up. 2019 he ran him down for the Tour Championship. I feel like there was also another major where they were paired to open and Rory was a lot better. 

35 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Anyone else get the sense that Greller may be getting the boot soon? I dont think hes a bad caddie at all, but sometimes a player just needs a change. It feels like they are constantly not on the same page.

And i would have no problems at all with it. Dude is slow playing them big time.

Actually a couple of months ago a buddy and I were talking about Jordan and Greller looking like they aren't getting along.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to see a change at season end.