2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

I said if he wasn’t I made an honest mistake - and my initial point was at fletch. I have no idea why someone wants to have a near identical handle to someone who catches so much flack and then he flies off the handle. Not sure what I did to warrant the initial barrage given I was telling fletch to not basketball the baseball board but I’ve put him on ignore and won’t ever engage with him again. As for derka I will remain a defender of that guy, he catches too much shit imo. Sorry for my part. 

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

I said if he wasn’t I made an honest mistake - and my initial point was at fletch. Not sure what I did to warrant the barrage but I’ve put him on ignore and won’t ever engage with him again. Sorry for my part. 

it's fine, you don't deserve that kind of disrespect, and we don't countenance hate around here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

Sorry for my part. 

Shouldn’t have to apologize for someone throwing a disgusting slur at you. He can respond in a million different ways that don’t include that hurtful disgusting phrase. 

6 minutes ago, davi34 said:

So back on topic, do we have the NIL money to get Witt back or get some big names out of the portal or why no news on our front?

Yes.

There was a dead period recently so guys couldn’t take visits. Combine that with the draft this weekend and it’s just a waiting game until movement around the country picks back up next week.

We have a fairly big signing class and the possibility of returning quite a few guys from last year so that has to be taken into account when taking transfers. Can only carry 40 guys into the spring and our signing class right now is 19 guys + the returners + juco and portal commits so far. Just something to keep in mind. I bet we add 2-3 more transfers before the end of the month.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Top 55 players in Texas. 7 Texas signees. A&M has 6, Baylor and DBU have 4, TCU has 3 and Tech has 2.

#2- RHP Travis Sykora

#26- C/OF Nik Sanders

#31- RHP Hayden Morris

#34- INF/OF Dondreone Kennedy

#39- RHP Hudson Hamilton

#43- RHP Easton Tumis

#46- INF Lane Allen

Is it wrong that it irritates me that the #1 player in the state plays at Sinton with a legendary Longhorn as his head coach and he fucking signs with LSU?? Granted, I understand he probably doesn't make it to campus, but it still upsets me.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Is it wrong that it irritates me that the #1 player in the state plays at Sinton with a legendary Longhorn as his head coach and he fucking signs with LSU?? Granted, I understand he probably doesn't make it to campus, but it still upsets me.

To me, it certainly feels like HS coaches in baseball have about the least amount of sway compared to a HS coach in any other sport. Maybe it’s because these kids start playing travel ball so early and many have personal hitting or pitching coaches. Majority of their time is spent playing for other teams unrelated to their HS.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, petscii said:

If you had a kid who was really really good at baseball, where would you send him to play?   Seriously?

It's not like he chose Houston over Texas.

Piqued my interest.    Thought there may be a La connection.   Allen JUCO is in Kansas.

Mitchell made his commitment to the Tigers since sophomore year, and it's taken Sinton and his family to get there. He plans on studying Sports Management at LSU. Mitchell's dad played college baseball for Allen JUCO and then McNeese State, so Mitchell has an experience coach in the family.

"It's been me and my dad you know," said Mitchell. "He's been my hitting coach, my everything coach pretty much my whole life. Me and him just growing up and really getting me to shape the player I am today."

https://www.kristv.com/sports/friday-night-fever/sinton-baseball-players-ink-national-letter-of-intent-includes-nations-top-catcher

• Like 1

If you had a kid who was really really good at baseball, where would you send him to play?   Seriously?

Are you saying that LSU over Texas should be a certainty?

Both are strong enough options that it’s the variables in that particular kid that make one the better option. And that answer is different depending on the kid.

20 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Hainline backup plans are flying off the market and we’re still up against every heavy hitter in the nation for him 

It may backfire but I don't mind the strategy. It looks like Hainline has been the infielder they've prioritized from the get-go. 

If you want to play with the big boys you have to swing with the big boys. 

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Hainline backup plans are flying off the market and we’re still up against every heavy hitter in the nation for him 

I would assume the fallback is just keeping Powell at 3B and maybe looking to add an outfielder where there are a few more options.

I would have to think one of these first 3 options will happen. Hard to see a scenario where we are left holding our dick.

1. Hainline comes and takes over 3B or SS with Flores at the other spot. Powell to 1B. Thomas to the OF.

2. Hainline doesn’t come. Borba makes it to campus. Could do the same moves as above.

3. Hainline doesn’t come. Borba doesn’t make it. Powell stays at 3B with Thomas as 1B and look to add another OF.

4. Hainline doesn’t come. Borba doesn’t make it. Powell moves on for some reason. At this point we screwed up big time.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Are you saying that LSU over Texas should be a certainty?

Both are strong enough options that it’s the variables in that particular kid that make one the better option. And that answer is different depending on the kid.

I'd be fine with my kid going LSU, Stanford, or Texas...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would assume the fallback is just keeping Powell at 3B and maybe looking to add an outfielder where there are a few more options.

I would have to think one of these first 3 options will happen. Hard to see a scenario where we are left holding our dick.

1. Hainline comes and takes over 3B or SS with Flores at the other spot. Powell to 1B. Thomas to the OF.

2. Hainline doesn’t come. Borba makes it to campus. Could do the same moves as above.

3. Hainline doesn’t come. Borba doesn’t make it. Powell stays at 3B with Thomas as 1B and look to add another OF.

4. Hainline doesn’t come. Borba doesn’t make it. Powell moves on for some reason. At this point we screwed up big time.

Options 2-3 are likely fine, but leave us with a risky floor and ceiling only as high as Flores can improve. Borba making it could mean that he's headed for a Flores-esque freshman year. Flores' summer could mean he isn't a lock to be a positive contributor. Powell's average fell from about .400 on April 1 to .340 by the end of the year.

I don't see how next year's team is even just as good as last year's without plus infield and outfield transfers at the top of the lineup

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/1/2023 at 5:29 PM, chase25 said:

Gage Jump, LHP for UCLA just entered the portal, 2024 draft eligible. Hurt this past year but had a solid Freshman season. #1 LHP in California and #5 nationally in 2021 class

https://uclabruins.com/sports/baseball/roster/gage-jump/11664

Land Gage Jump, Texas would have the #1 LHP prospect in California in 2021 and 2022 in Gage Jump and Oliver Santos

• Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Options 2-3 are likely fine, but leave us with a risky floor and ceiling only as high as Flores can improve. Borba making it could mean that he's headed for a Flores-esque freshman year. Flores' summer could mean he isn't a lock to be a positive contributor. Powell's average fell from about .400 on April 1 to .340 by the end of the year.

I don't see how next year's team is even just as good as last year's without plus infield and outfield transfers at the top of the lineup

Assuming Borba is in line for a Flores freshman year is off imo. Flores is one of the few position players that was a draft risk and ended up on campus, but struggled. Off the top of my head Faltine, Hamilton, and Thomas all had good freshman years (yes, Hamilton wasn’t nothing at the plate but was damn good in the field). I think Borba has higher upside than Flores coming out of high school. 

20 hours ago, petscii said:

Well...if it was my kid and he didn't go to Texas I would need therapy and heavy drinking to get over it. 

But I am biased. Don't know what normal parents would do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well...if it was my kid and he didn't go to Texas I would need therapy and heavy drinking to get over it. 

But I am biased. Don't know what normal parents would do.

Well, I'm blessed to not have the walking STDs myself...  but if I did...

Wait don't you need therapy now?

I should look up how much it costs to send a kid to Stanford after paying for select baseball...

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Ready like Witt?

Witt also had a much better FR season than Jump. 

Jump only pitched 16 innings as a FR compared to Witt's 57.0 IP. Jump is 100% projection and the hope he can live up to the talent. In terms of NIL allocation, my bet is Jump isn't worth what LSU had to pay for him. 

13 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Gage Jump was injured about 2 months after Witt, so if they were on the same timeline he would have started pitching in games about now.

Both should be ready to start next season.

Hopefully.  Witt struggled, had some good innings, but needed more work.  I'd take him back in a minute and hope he gets his mojo back.  Not much to go on for Jump....so, LSU is betting on him.  So....tbd.