2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

Some stats though 11 games.   Our eyes match the data that the hitting is significantly improved, at least to start the season.  Both years featured feasting on crap pitching plus a couple of games against elite arms.

Pitching wise, the numbers aren't that much worse but it feels like a mess.

image.png.6598317e958b054f1886447d9a134ee0.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Some stats though 11 games.   Our eyes match the data that the hitting is significantly improved, at least to start the season.  Both years featured feasting on crap pitching plus a couple of games against elite arms.

Pitching wise, the numbers aren't that much worse but it feels like a mess.

image.png.6598317e958b054f1886447d9a134ee0.png

Last year definitely featured a little tougher competition through 11 games imo. Indiana and Fullerton both were regional teams. San Diego might be but Cal Poly definitely is not. It will even out though because we don't have any Manhattan or New Orleans type series coming up like last year did. 

Which rotation did we have more confidence in at this point? Gordon-Morehouse-Sthele or LBJ-Hurley-Howard?

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Which rotation did we have more confidence in at this point? Gordon-Morehouse-Sthele or LBJ-Hurley-Howard?

That's a really good question.  Going name by name it seems like a wash.  When they moved Morehouse to the pen and he looked like fire for a few games, plus with Shaw looking good, things started looking up.  It's hard to see a solution like that this year unless the injured guys make a ton more progress.

17 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

That's a really good question.  Going name by name it seems like a wash.  When they moved Morehouse to the pen and he looked like fire for a few games, plus with Shaw looking good, things started looking up.  It's hard to see a solution like that this year unless the injured guys make a ton more progress.

Fair. Maybe Hurley needs to go back to the pen like he ended last year. I would like to see us stretch out Gage Boehm but removing him from the bullpen right now leaves you with a lonely feeling. 

Schlossnagle radio interview at texags     Says he will go with RHP Chris Cortez regular Tuesday starter.   Inconsistent last year,  fared well this year vs IWU and Lamar.   Not overpowering,  control was issue last year.

• Playing at Texas’ field is awesome. You can feel it just during batting practice. There is mutual respect between coaching staffs. We see them on the road a lot, and I've known David Peirce since he was a high school coach in Houston. But it is what it is.

• I’ve been preparing, even Braden. I said to him, “You have no idea what you are walking into.” Especially next year when you are walking into a three-game series in the SEC? The world may explode. I don't know.

• But I've been there. I’ve been there for Super Regionals at TCU. But it's not the same. It's not normal, but its great preparation for our league, at LSU and Ole Miss. All of this is great life experience and great preparation for the future.

• No win or loss will define our season whether it’s Rhode Island or Texas. Yesterday, we had a hit by Bard and put the ball over the bag to extend the lead. Friday night, two swings decided the game, Montgomery and Sorrell, otherwise that's a scoreless game or if we have a couple of balls fall, then that's an 8-0 game.

• Baseball is so fickle. It's hard to predict what will happen. We want to win ball games, and playing those guys over there is going to be a lot of fun.

• Chris Cortez playing at Texas will do a lot for his confidence and mine too. I’ve had confidence in him from day one and kept pushing him out there. It would be a great opportunity for him to showcase himself in that kind of environment.

• All I ask from our starting pitcher is that when I take the ball from you, have us in the game, and I’ll manage the rest with the bullpen guys. If Chris can get out there and give us a great four innings, then we will pass it on to whoever's next on the way.

https://texags.com/s/57739/jim-schlossnagle-recaps-texas-ams-3-0-weekend-at-globe-life-field

8 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Fair. Maybe Hurley needs to go back to the pen like he ended last year. I would like to see us stretch out Gage Boehm but removing him from the bullpen right now leaves you with a lonely feeling. 

I wouldn’t mind swapping roles between the two. 

33 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Last year definitely featured a little tougher competition through 11 games imo. Indiana and Fullerton both were regional teams. San Diego might be but Cal Poly definitely is not. It will even out though because we don't have any Manhattan or New Orleans type series coming up like last year did. 

Definitely more confidence in this years rotation. 

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Or Nico O'Donnell?

I'd guess Harrison or Witt.

I’d be cool with Witt. He’s looked good the last couple outings. Let’s get him in a large crowd game experience against, and I say this lightly, a instate rival, and see if he’s gonna be legit for us or a midweek inning eater 

@shadow_operative2.0 you’d know, streaming options for this weekend? Assuming ESPN+ but you never know with this amazing conference 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’d be cool with Witt. He’s looked good the last couple outings. Let’s get him in a large crowd game experience against, and I say this lightly, a instate rival, and see if he’s gonna be legit for us or a midweek inning eater 

@shadow_operative2.0 you’d know, streaming options for this weekend? Assuming ESPN+ but you never know with this amazing conference 

They are only showing it on ESPN Deportes, you have to be in Guatemala though.  

Edited by HOOKEM4
ousux
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Obviously LBL-Hurley-Howard. But man, I’d kill to have Morehouse back right about now. When he’s on, he’s one of the best closers in the country. When he’s off it’s not good to say the least. 

Really really wish he stayed

14 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Bless LHN.  Nothing like a Cal Poly rerun … when you’ve run out of Preparation H.

Do they show the whole game or do they still cut it down for "time considerations", since there is some much other wonderful longhorn network content to crowd off the schedule.

7 minutes ago, petscii said:

Do they show the whole game or do they still cut it down for "time considerations", since there is some much other wonderful longhorn network content to crowd off the schedule.

Haven’t noticed skipping ahead .. but, you’re right about the other content.  What are all those Longhorn Legends gonna do when the lights dim at LHN?  What about the front gate keeper who never has a bad day … or Maren Bennett who hasn’t aged a bit?

7 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Haven’t noticed skipping ahead .. but, you’re right about the other content.  What are all those Longhorn Legends gonna do when the lights dim at LHN?  What about the front gate keeper who never has a bad day … or Maren Bennett who hasn’t aged a bit?

"errbody getting wet today!"

Heading into conference play without a single quality non-conference win would be a resume disaster and Pierce knows it. Have to imagine every arm is available. For reference, Gordon threw 107 pitches the Friday before this one last year and got an inning. 

Anyways… it’s a meaningless Tuesday game if we lose  

22 minutes ago, BERT said:

and you two goobers will be the ones bitching "man, i really wish we still had LHN". 

No, I mainly listen to the games via Craig..     All the home games will be on ESPN+ anyways.

5 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Heading into conference play without a single quality non-conference win would be a resume disaster and Pierce knows it. Have to imagine every arm is available. For reference, Gordon threw 107 pitches the Friday before this one last year and got an inning. 

Anyways… it’s a meaningless Tuesday game if we lose  

I will say it would not shock me if LBJ was available for an inning on what would typically be his bullpen day. As you said, Gordon threw last year in this game.

That said, I don’t think quality wins and losses are a standalone thing on a baseball resume. It’s all baked into the RPI calculations (there is overall RPI, non con RPI, non con SOS). It’s pretty much shown every year and the committee goes straight RPI when comparing teams. And we still have a road game at Texas State and the RPI calculations weigh road wins as almost 2x more valuable than home wins.

8 minutes ago, petscii said:

No, I mainly listen to the games via Craig..     All the home games will be on ESPN+ anyways.

95% of Surly "who in the hell has ESPN+?!?!?!" 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BERT said:

and you two goobers will be the ones bitching "man, i really wish we still had LHN". 

I will miss the games … especially, baseball, softball, and volleyball … which otherwise would have been unavailable 1500 miles away.  I hope there’s an SEC channel(s) that pick up the slack. 🤞

• Hook 'Em 3

Give the rest of the season hell boys !!

I sure love the every other year UT visit to MMP. Hope it stays the same way. Love seeing all the burnt orange in the stadium. It’s always a great three days, catching up with friends. 

get your shit together, stay healthy, and make a run !!!!

IMG_9213.jpeg

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Give the rest of the season hell boys !!

I sure love the every other year UT visit to MMP. Hope it stays the same way. Love seeing all the burnt orange in the stadium. It’s always a great three days, catching up with friends. 

get your shit together, stay healthy, and make a run !!!!

IMG_9213.jpeg

We clearly have the bats to go on a run. Need Witt to be awesome like he used to be. That’d be huge. With him, the rotation and bullpen will take care of itself 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, torre said:

RHP Chris Cortez  

Not overpowering

Pretty sure I’ve seen him in the 97-99 range, but yes, has never put it together (until his 6 no-hit innings tomorrow). 

Pierce isn't going anywhere. I can live with that. He's turned this team around before and I hope he can do it again. But goddamn it's getting frustrating. 

We're young and we have a lot of good freshman talent that might blossom in the next few years but we're Texas and we don't like waiting. Pitching looked good before this past weekend and now most of our bullpen looks like shit. My hope is that he now has more of a set plan on who to start and who will be the backbone of the bullpen (*cough* BOEHM *cough*) 

Does Porter Brown have an ugly girlfriend? Get that dude's confidence back up somehow. Take these guys to the Landing Strip but not the night before a game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Pierce isn't going anywhere. I can live with that. He's turned this team around before and I hope he can do it again. But goddamn it's getting frustrating. 

We're young and we have a lot of good freshman talent that might blossom in the next few years but we're Texas and we don't like waiting. Pitching looked good before this past weekend and now most of our bullpen looks like shit. My hope is that he now has more of a set plan on who to start and who will be the backbone of the bullpen (*cough* BOEHM *cough*) 

Does Porter Brown have an ugly girlfriend? Get that dude's confidence back up somehow. Take these guys to the Landing Strip but not the night before a game. 

Was just talking to @B00Mabout this. How much longer can we trout him out in left with his shitty defense and can’t hit a beach ball at the plate? Is Blake Peterson ready for the spotlight? Cause I can’t handle watching Porter in left. It’s just painful 

Edited by Fletch

I am not writing this team off yet. I definitely think they have potential but I also think they lack consistent hitting and focus. I expect LBJ to lock down Tech on Friday and for us to come away with a win in that game. After that, we are going to need to find a way to gut out another win with some good, consistent hitting and no errors. 

1 hour ago, BillyGoatHill said:

He was talking with a friend of mine during warmups prior to the game.

Disc injury to his thumb. Can hit but no catching for 4 weeks.

But Doctor, I couldn't play the piano before the injury....

Posted (edited)

Had a UT female fan try to start a fight with me in the stands last night because her husband was wrong about a rule and I had to side with the aggy who was correcting him.  That's how bad this season is going right now.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Rage+1 2

I dont know what to say about this team.  Seems super talented and super undisciplined.

Thoughts:

The manner in which they lost to Texas State was embarrassing.

Having said that, the Aggies are a very, very good team.  LSU is a very, very good team. Vanderbilt is a very good team.

Our bullpen is shit right now but that can change very quickly. It only takes one good outing for these dudes to grow a sack and decide to shove it up the opponents ass every time they hit the hill.  

Witt was impressive last night. He made one bad pitch.

Porter Brown has to contribute offensively. He is vital to the success of this team.  

Powell, Flores and Thomas's are great. Flores will hit 17 or more HRs.

It's only March 6th and no one needs to  be thinking about jumping off the ledge.

I dont like watching shit baseball either but its too early to give up on these guys.

• Hook 'Em 7

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Had a UT female fan try to start a fight with me in the stands last night because her husband was wrong about a rule and I had to side with the aggy who was correcting him.  That's how bad this season is going right now.

Yep. This weekend was one of the worst since 2019. I know we have been swept in these fucking pre-conference tournaments before, last year for example. But the Vandy collapse, blowing the lead against Texas State, and then the game against A&M take it to a new level.

The team might be good though. So I am trying to walk myself back from the ledge. Hope next weekend is a good one.

Edited by Valmy77