Rolling Thread of Alt-Right Civility

MaybeACoordinator

Washington (CNN)A Trump administration appointee to the State Department tore into standard UN documents that condemn racism as a threat to democracy.

The deputy assistant secretary for refugees and migration, a foreign service officer promoted by the White House to an unusually senior position for his rank, disputed the idea that leaders have a "duty" to condemn hate speech and incitement, and repeatedly rejected use of the words nationalism, populism, and xenophobia.

"The drafters say 'populism and nationalism' as if these are dirty words," wrote Andrew Veprek, the deputy assistant secretary for refugees and migration, in documents obtained exclusively by CNN. "There are millions of Americans who likely would describe themselves as adhering to these concepts. (Maybe even the President.). So are we looking to here condemn our fellow-citizens, those who pay our salaries?"

President Donald Trump has described himself as a nationalist. 

Veprek also pushed to soften language about fighting racism and about racism in politics in his proposed amendments to a UN Human Rights Council resolution titled "The Incompatibility between Democracy and Racism" that is adopted without a vote, with much of the same language, every few years. 

In response to one section that says national leaders have a responsibility to condemn hate speech, Veprek writes, "'[d]uty to condemn' goes too far. Our public figures can't be obliged to police every intolerant thought out their [sic] at the risk of being condemned for intolerance themselves."

Fear of foreigners

And he repeatedly argues against using the word "xenophobia," or the fear of foreigners, writing in side notes that he has concerns over "the malleability of the term now and in the future."

"[W]hat real or perceived offense is next to be considered 'xenophobic?'" he writes. "How does that square with our historic respect for the right of free expression? The drafters need to focus on behavior and actions - which states can control - rather than attitudes and states of mind."

The internal administration documents show suggested edits Veprek apparently made, marked by his electronic State Department identifier on notes in the margins, according to a source familiar with the documents.

It's unclear if Veprek has the authority within the State Department to make changes to the documents, which are full of crossed out sentences and other comments vigorously contesting the UN statements. 

Shortly after the edits were suggested, the US announced it was leaving the Geneva based Human Rights Council. 

A State Department spokesperson said the agency does not comment on "leaked, alleged documents or internal deliberative material," but the agency did not deny the existence of the documents.

Rob Berschinski, a former deputy assistant secretary of state for human rights and member of the National Security Council under President Barack Obama, called Veprek's changes to the documents "explosive."

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

White people are so scared.

I just don't get this shit. My family is blending in. I've got a passel of half-black cousins in North Texas and shit-ton of half-Hispanic nieces and nephews and cousins. They are all just family to me. If either of my kids married black or brown, I completely would not give a shit, so long as their mate was a solid person. Shit, my North Texas cousins are hooking up with black dudes because they are the only dudes up there who aren't meth heads. 

I think we can stop calling them the Alt-right.  There are too many of them to be Alt-anything.

This is the Right in 2018.

Sure, there are conservatives who are better than this.  But they're too scared to stand up to this for fear of losing elections.  So this is what the GOP has become.  These are the faces of your party.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I was gonna say wrong thread, but then there's some new info coming out.

The witness, who has asked to remain anonymous, told KENS 5 they witnessed the three teens involved in the video joking about 'hanging blacks' and killing off minorities before the attack occurred.

"They were talking about for the Fourth of July hanging black people from trees that that would be the perfect party. Hopefully, with Donald Trump within the next few years, we can celebrate a white country, a real country without blacks. Maybe we can deport them to Africa," the witness claimed.

10 hours ago, relapse98 said:

I was gonna say wrong thread, but then there's some new info coming out.

"Editor's note: An earlier version of this story included quotes from the alleged witness. Those have been removed from this copy due to concerns about the legitimacy of the statements."

I wish I could say that I'm surprised that there are people in this godforsaken scum swamp of a forum that would see no issue with a grown man physically assaulting teenagers, but here we are.  Congratulations on lowering the bar even further.

Edited by TriStone

58 minutes ago, TriStone said:

"Editor's note: An earlier version of this story included quotes from the alleged witness. Those have been removed from this copy due to concerns about the legitimacy of the statements."

I wish I could say that I'm surprised that there are people in this godforsaken scum swamp of a forum that would see no issue with a grown man physically assaulting teenagers, but here we are.  Congratulations on lowering the bar even further.

I thought throwing a Coke on someone was much esteemed on Hornfans / Shaggy / Surly. 

• Haha 1

One of the greatest acts of violence you can inflict upon a human is taking his hat and throwing soda on him. It's basically like when that guy ran the woman over and killed her in Charlottesville. Almost identical, really.

#Decorum #Civility #BothSides #IfYouThinkAboutIt

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

<sigh>

Anyone who defended that is a piece of shit.  Anyone defending this is a piece of shit.  But whatever, only two to six more fucking years of this garbage.  I'll leave you monkeys to your poop flinging.

• Like 1