What game in 24 are you Horns most excited about?

Tomatillo

Michigan fans were awesome at the Rose Bowl. Talked friendly shit and congratulated me and drunk friends after the win. They were in awe of VY.

Yeah may have to make that trip. I’ve been to Ann Arbor on business but I’d like to experience that stadium. I was surprised it wasn’t vertical but mostly below ground. Must be a crazy environment. 

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, n64ra said:

UM as it's the one and probably only time it'll happen in Ann Arbor.

The new playoff format increases the likelihood of games like this.  5-8 seeds hosting 9-12 seeds will lead to some neat trips that CFB fans aren't used to seeing and they will be fun to attend or watch on TV.  Since the B1G and the SEC will get the most at large berths that means B1G vs SEC first round games are very likely.  And it's just a matter of time until the 1-4 seeds also get to host their first CFP game too.  After a few years of the top 4 seeds correctly pointing out how fucking stupid it is that lower seeds are rewarded with homefield advantage to start their playoff run while higher seeds have to go to some boring neutral site NFL stadium to start their playoff run it will be changed.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Not to derail here but I just want whatever 42 year old, knee brace wearing, zone option read, Mormon fuck QB have his or her (no judging) dick driven into the dirt and then a mud hole stomped in his or her (still not judging) ass from BYU this year.
That's all I want. Just a fucking beat down so bad on that bastard that he or she (you know the drill) sees John Smith at a glory hole due to the repeated concussions that we lay on that mutha fucker.
An epic beat down of those white shirt, black tie, shiny black pants, bicycle riding pendejos.

Edited by coachherman'sgrill
Fucking autocorrect for duck
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If they end up sticking with 8 conference games, this group with ou as the 1 would be pretty damn fun.  I wonder if this schedule across the league would work with the 1-7.

Will there be 3 non-conference?

24 minutes ago, Hondo said:

There are very few easy wins in the SEC.  5-3 or even 4-4 would not be shocking.

Miss LSU, Bama and Tenn which are three of the top 4 SEC programs right now. 

Should have a better roster than Ark and OU. UF will not be very good. A&M could be tough and have a pretty solid roster. But Jimbo …

41 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

Miss LSU, Bama and Tenn which are three of the top 4 SEC programs right now. 

Should have a better roster than Ark and OU. UF will not be very good. A&M could be tough and have a pretty solid roster. But Jimbo …

I've been to a lot of Big 12 games and a lot of SEC games.  It's different football.  It is physical, week in and week out.  Even the lower tier teams (we can probably exclude Vandy and maybe Mizzou here) have big, strong athletes that can beat you.  Watched a sub-.500 Florida team play LSU in Tiger Stadium and it was like gladiator shit - dudes just absolutely smashing each other.  The Texas we're used to isn't built for that.  Hopefully they're aware and are changing it.  If not, they and the fans are going to learn the hard way.  

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean...those are the sorts of records we usually get in the Big 12.

Exactly.  Kinda proving my point here.  I've said before, I went to a SWC/Big 12 school for undergrad and UT for graduate school.  When the Big 12 was hot, I scoffed at the people saying the SEC was tougher.  And then I saw it first hand.  It was kind of shocking actually.  Sure, a Big 12 team can hang for a game here and there - even win some.  But an 8-10 game schedule where every week is like getting hit by a train, win or loss?  Anyone expecting 7-1 or even 6-2 in SEC play in 2024 is probably going to be disappointed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hondo said:

I've been to a lot of Big 12 games and a lot of SEC games.  It's different football.  It is physical, week in and week out.  Even the lower tier teams (we can probably exclude Vandy and maybe Mizzou here) have big, strong athletes that can beat you.  Watched a sub-.500 Florida team play LSU in Tiger Stadium and it was like gladiator shit - dudes just absolutely smashing each other.  The Texas we're used to isn't built for that.  Hopefully they're aware and are changing it.  If not, they and the fans are going to learn the hard way.  

Exactly.  Kinda proving my point here.  I've said before, I went to a SWC/Big 12 school for undergrad and UT for graduate school.  When the Big 12 was hot, I scoffed at the people saying the SEC was tougher.  And then I saw it first hand.  It was kind of shocking actually.  Sure, a Big 12 team can hang for a game here and there - even win some.  But an 8-10 game schedule where every week is like getting hit by a train, win or loss?  Anyone expecting 7-1 or even 6-2 in SEC play in 2024 is probably going to be disappointed.

image.gif.679c6963230c58a8bc4486ccc9d3ce53.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Then why does the Big 12 win a recent majority of bowl games vs SEC.   I think Bama and Georgia are different, the rest are not.  

• Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

image.gif.679c6963230c58a8bc4486ccc9d3ce53.gif

xD  Hey look, I'm all-in for UT football.  I hope we beat the snot out of everyone, run the table, and walk away with an SEC Championship and a Natty - all in year 1.  I'm just being realistic, based on personal observation and objectivity.  Those who haven't seen it for whatever reason will see it soon enough.  

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Then why does the Big 12 win a recent majority of bowl games vs SEC.   I think Bama and Georgia are different, the rest are not.  

Bowl games aren't indicative of running the gauntlet of an SEC schedule every week for an entire season.  I'll quote myself below to answer your question. 

Look, I'm not dogging UT or rooting against us for whatever reason.  I'm just telling you the SEC and the Big 12 ain't the same - and anyone thinking it won't be much tougher is in for a surprise.  And hell, we haven't done all that great in the Big 12 for starters.  IF Sarkisian has been recruiting with the SEC in mind and we're willing to adopt a blue collar attitude vs. "we're Texas; we're a blue blood", we'll be okay.  If we think we're just going to roll into the conference and have success because "we're Texas", well, they 

19 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Sure, a Big 12 team can hang for a game here and there - even win some.  But an 8-10 game schedule where every week is like getting hit by a train, win or loss?  Anyone expecting 7-1 or even 6-2 in SEC play in 2024 is probably going to be disappointed.

It's like a guy who "has done martial arts his whole life and is 78-0 in tournaments" going to prison.  The baddest MFer on the block never took Karate/TKD/BJJ...he's just been fighting all his life and wants to kill you.  IF martial arts guy gets lucky and wins, it'll be one of those fights where you win but it still feels like you lost.  And then you gotta do it again with the next guy...and the next guy...and the next guy.  That's an SEC football schedule.  The Texas we're all used to is Mr. Karate.  The Texas that succeeds in the SEC is Mr. Karate after he's been in prison for 10 years and is now the meanest MFer around.

Edited by Hondo

I don’t care who’s on the schedule or where the game is played, if Texas brings the defensive intensity I saw last year vs. my guys, the Horns will be in every game. If the Mullet stays healthy, all Ws is a legit possibility. Hell, don’t be talking how tough the SEC is. Just roll out Bevo and give it hell.

Roll Tide by the way. See you in September.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hondo said:

As a casual florida gator fan this is laughable. Florida would’ve had a losing record in big 12 play last year. UT would absolutely dogwalk every sec school not named Georgia, bama, and maybe tennessee.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm just telling you the SEC and the Big 12 ain't the same - and anyone thinking it won't be much tougher is in for a surprise. 

Well, I was certainly surprised to see Mizzou win two SEC East, division titles during their tenure since they never won the Big 12 North.

Do you work for ESPN in some capacity?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Helobious said:

As a casual florida gator fan this is laughable. Florida would’ve had a losing record in big 12 play last year. UT would absolutely dogwalk every sec school not named Georgia, bama, and maybe tennessee.

You say that one year after Ark dog walked texas. Casual, indeed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I made a point about how hard playing an SEC schedule is - week in and week out over an entire season - and you "refute" it with a comment about ONE team's performance over ONE season?  Calling someone's opinion/position "laughable" and then talking straight out of your ass isn't a great look for you.  Condescension - while yourself lacking basic reading proficiency, comprehension, and logic - makes you look silly.  Pro tip for life:  It's easier to accept a differing opinion when it's presented respectfully.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Well, I was certainly surprised to see Mizzou win two SEC East, division titles during their tenure since they never won the Big 12 North.

Do you work for ESPN in some capacity?

No, I have eyeballs and a little thing called objectivity.  I'm a UT homer as much as anyone; I just don't let it blind me.  I've said several times that I myself scoffed at the idea until I saw it with my own eyes over a 10-year period of getting a closeup look.  You'll see soon enough.  We couldn't dominate the Big 12 and we're going to be middle of the road in the SEC unless there's a fundamental shift in how we recruit and play football.  12 team playoff will help us sneak in once in awhile, but under the current system, we wouldn't sniff a CFP playing in the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, TexasPride10 said:

I live in Nashville, so I personally can’t wait for the Vandy game. 

Just completed grad school there. Can’t wait to go back in 2024 to watch Texas play at FirstBank Stadium. 

13 hours ago, Underdog said:

Isn't Vandy doing a reno on their place? 

Yep!

Edited by MuellerHorn

5 minutes ago, Hondo said:

I'm a UT homer as much as anyone; I just don't let it blind me.  I've said several times that I myself scoffed at the idea until I saw it with my own eyes over a 10-year period of getting a closeup look.  You'll see soon enough.  We couldn't dominate the Big 12 and we're going to be middle of the road in the SEC unless there's a fundamental shift in how we recruit and play football.  12 team playoff will help us sneak in once in awhile, but under the current system, we wouldn't sniff a CFP playing in the SEC.

Are you? You said yourself you don't know what Sark's building here and you insinuate in your own comments you don't know about the recruiting he does and roster he's building, but you sound very confident that you know what you're talking about when you say we're going to get our shit kicked in. So, you don't really know the team or the roster,  but you're a staunch believer in "SEC FOOTBALL"..... 

Ok, "UT homer".

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Are you? You said yourself you don't know what Sark's building here and you insinuate in your own comments you don't know about the recruiting he does and roster he's building, but you sound very confident that you know what you're talking about when you say we're going to get our shit kicked in. So, you don't really know the team or the roster,  but you're a staunch believer in "SEC FOOTBALL"..... 

Ok, "UT homer".

Another reading fail.  Tiresome.

I acknowledged that it appears we're headed in the right direction.  I don't know Coach Sarkisian personally, so I can't make declarative statements about what he's doing/not doing, but it certainly looks like they're on the right track to get us competitive.  (And, if you think about it, the fact that it's taking "building", "changing', etc. to prepare for the SEC only proves my point that there's a big difference.  Otherwise, we could just be the same ol Big 12 Texas that couldn't even win the Big 12 regularly, roll into the SEC and compete without changing a thing, no?)

I also never said we're going to get our shit kicked in.  I said 7-1 or 6-2 is overly optimistic given what we know today.  AND I've said over and over, it's conditional on whether or not we adapt or stay as we have been for the last decade+.  Big 12 Texas will be lucky to go 5-3 with that schedule.  A Texas-built-for-SEC football could go 7-1, 6-2, or hell 8-0.

My entire point is that the current Texas won't cut it.  That's all.  Not that we can't adapt and compete.  Not that we won't adapt and compete.  Simply that we have to adapt to compete. 

I know Sark's been recruiting in preparation for the move (bigger in the trenches, etc.), but to be competitive in the SEC, we're going to have to find that last little "something" that's been missing for the last decade.  Can't be the rich program riding tradition anymore...we're going to have to get a blue collar attitude and start getting nasty.

If Sarkisian has been recruiting with the SEC in mind and we're willing to adopt a blue collar attitude vs. "we're Texas; we're a blue blood", we'll be okay.

The Texas we're used to isn't built for that.  Hopefully they're aware and are changing it.  If not, they and the fans are going to learn the hard way.  

17 hours ago, ousux said:

I wonder where '24 ranks on SOS, gotta be at least top 5. Great for those of us watching, but Auburn, Bama and LSU back to back? Fuck sakes man..

Definitely not even top 5 in the league. You guys got off easy. Look at OU’s schedule. 

Definitely not even top 5 in the league. You guys got off easy. Look at OU’s schedule. 
I was talking about overall, not just SEC play. Anyway I saw an early schedule that had Auburn, Bama and LSU (and no cowbell) back to back for us, now deleted. Not sure blowU's schedule is that much worse than ours other than most of their tough games are on the road.

No, I have eyeballs and a little thing called objectivity.  I'm a UT homer as much as anyone; I just don't let it blind me.  I've said several times that I myself scoffed at the idea until I saw it with my own eyes over a 10-year period of getting a closeup look.  You'll see soon enough.  We couldn't dominate the Big 12 and we're going to be middle of the road in the SEC unless there's a fundamental shift in how we recruit and play football.  12 team playoff will help us sneak in once in awhile, but under the current system, we wouldn't sniff a CFP playing in the SEC.
You may be right, but how do you account for aggy having their best non-covid chaos season during their first year in the SEC? Even Missery managed to win their division early on. Not saying it will be a cakewalk for the Longhorns by any means, but the SEC has always been top heavy with the teams in the middle or bottom of the conference no better than anyone else in recent years.
  • Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Another reading fail.  Tiresome.

I acknowledged that it appears we're headed in the right direction.  I don't know Coach Sarkisian personally, so I can't make declarative statements about what he's doing/not doing, but it certainly looks like they're on the right track to get us competitive.  (And, if you think about it, the fact that it's taking "building", "changing', etc. to prepare for the SEC only proves my point that there's a big difference.  Otherwise, we could just be the same ol Big 12 Texas that couldn't even win the Big 12 regularly, roll into the SEC and compete without changing a thing, no?)

I also never said we're going to get our shit kicked in.  I said 7-1 or 6-2 is overly optimistic given what we know today.  AND I've said over and over, it's conditional on whether or not we adapt or stay as we have been for the last decade+.  Big 12 Texas will be lucky to go 5-3 with that schedule.  A Texas-built-for-SEC football could go 7-1, 6-2, or hell 8-0.

My entire point is that the current Texas won't cut it.  That's all.  Not that we can't adapt and compete.  Not that we won't adapt and compete.  Simply that we have to adapt to compete. 

I can already tell you're going to be one of those dumb motherfuckers unironically chanting "SECSECSEC" at DKR or whichever stadium you actually call home. Please go jerkoff somewhere else, you are shitting up an otherwise interesting thread. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, ousux said:
16 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

I was talking about overall, not just SEC play. Anyway I saw an early schedule that had Auburn, Bama and LSU (and no cowbell) back to back for us, now deleted. Not sure blowU's schedule is that much worse than ours other than most of their tough games are on the road.

I know. And you’re still not top 5 even with Mich on there. Some of these schedules are brutal. However, i will say many of the big brands on the schedules are not as good as some think, but programs like UK and Ole Miss are tougher in reality than at first glance. 

4 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Eh? Almost two years ago now. That was quite a different team than last year.

Point remains. That was an Ark team with a new coaching staff. It’s not like they were elite. 

What some of you need to understand is playing SEC teams in meaningless bowls is not the same as in meaningful regular season games. You guys claim everyone in the Big XII plays Texas like it’s the Super Bowl, but fail to recognize Big XII teams play the SEC in bowls like it’s the SB. Not the same. 

Look at OU’s record in playoff games. Those are meaningful. 

• Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Tomatillo said:

Point remains. That was an Ark team with a new coaching staff. It’s not like they were elite. 

What some of you need to understand is playing SEC teams in meaningless bowls is not the same as in meaningful regular season games. You guys claim everyone in the Big XII plays Texas like it’s the Super Bowl, but fail to recognize Big XII teams play the SEC in bowls like it’s the SB. Not the same. 

Look at OU’s record in playoff games. Those are meaningful. 

Ah, I see. This is just a really long-winded way of saying "we didn't want to be there"

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

And your comment is a really simple way of saying “we have no idea what we’re getting into.” 

Are you aware that a couple of mid-tier SEC teams were absolutely throttled by Big 12 opponents during last year’s REGULAR SEASON?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Tomatillo said:

And your comment is a really simple way of saying “we have no idea what we’re getting into.” 

This is helpful, thanks. It lets me know I can disregard all the other bullshit you spew. 

Alabama is good. UGA is good. LSU and Tennessee look like the Big 12 teams of yesteryear. Good, but I can assure you we know how to play those. 

The rest of the SEC? Your brain is rotted from hearing the conference get its collective dick sucked for 20 years. The idea that the success of a handful of programs at the top trickles down is ridiculous. I lived in Nashville and Louisville for years and watched those teams shuffle through because Vandy tickets are cheap and Lexington is a short drive. I traveled to half the other stadiums in the conference. There is nothing special about the rest of the SEC compared to the Big 12, and I would much rather play Ole Miss or Auburn than Baylor, OSU, or KSU. 

When presented with evidence that 75% of the SEC is no better (if not worse) than the middle of the Big 12, you and Honda (who is totally a Texas fan) have had no response other than to say "doesn't count, didn't want to be there" and other unfalsifiable shit like "these SEC boys just look different." 

Other than a handful of teams at the top and being in bed with CFB's biggest propaganda machine, the SEC is not special. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Park Gothic said:

This is helpful, thanks. It lets me know I can disregard all the other bullshit you spew. 

Alabama is good. UGA is good. LSU and Tennessee look like the Big 12 teams of yesteryear. Good, but I can assure you we know how to play those. 

The rest of the SEC? Your brain is rotted from hearing the conference get its collective dick sucked for 20 years. The idea that the success of a handful of programs at the top trickles down is ridiculous. I lived in Nashville and Louisville for years and watched those teams shuffle through because Vandy tickets are cheap and Lexington is a short drive. I traveled to half the other stadiums in the conference. There is nothing special about the rest of the SEC compared to the Big 12, and I would much rather play Ole Miss or Auburn than Baylor, OSU, or KSU. 

When presented with evidence that 75% of the SEC is no better (if not worse) than the middle of the Big 12, you and Honda (who is totally a Texas fan) have had no response other than to say "doesn't count, didn't want to be there" and other unfalsifiable shit like "these SEC boys just look different." 

Other than a handful of teams at the top and being in bed with CFB's biggest propaganda machine, the SEC is not special. 

Yeah, our brains are rotted from the SEC completely dominating the playoff for ten years and Big XII teams getting completely embarrassed. 

Your buddy @Hondo is right. You might want to read what he says if you’re going to ignore me. 

Texas is joining the SEC. Why would we lie? 

• Fuck You 1

It's a great schedule. The three recently dominant teams in the SEC (Bama, UGA, LSU) are teams we've beaten (once) or stayed close with (the rest). Notably, Alabama knocked out our qb in those two games. Last year it was a filthy hit on Ewers to avoid him doing to them what he later did to OU.

A&M doing the same thing in the SEC that they did in the Big 12 is an instructive indicator. Their largely Big 12 team came close to winning the SEC in their first season. The Aggie players weren't being dragged off the field with compound fractures or unable to rise and play every game that season. 

Sorry, Tomatillo, your propaganda doesn't really hold up. Still, stick around and post during the season. Should be a hoot.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3