2023 College World Series

Horny Bull

12 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

As long as he’s consistent. I just started watching so don’t know if he’s taking sides. 

He's calling high pitches strikes that are not hittable... the best result for the batter is if he swings and fouls the ball off.  

That's why MLB umpires have a lower strike zone... give hitters a chance to hit.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

He's calling high pitches strikes that are not hittable... the best result for the batter is if he swings and fouls the ball off.  

That's why MLB umpires have a lower strike zone... give hitters a chance to hit.

Agree, I just wasn’t sure if he was giving the LSU pitchers those gifts but hosing Wake. 

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

Agree, I just wasn’t sure if he was giving the LSU pitchers those gifts but hosing Wake. 

Yeah, I haven't noticed him favoring one team or the other.

Went down a rabbit hole, and read that there are proposals in MLB to raise the bottom of the strike zone above the knees.  Wonder how long till robotic umpires are used to call balls and strikes in MLB??

Yeah, I haven't noticed him favoring one team or the other.
Went down a rabbit hole, and read that there are proposals in MLB to raise the bottom of the strike zone above the knees.  Wonder how long till robotic umpires are used to call balls and strikes in MLB??

What was the rationale? Obviously offense related.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

What was the rationale? Obviously offense related.

Yeah, was trying to help hitters... get more offense in MLB baseball.  It hurts sinkerball pitchers.

2017 article

https://www.mlb.com/news/how-raising-strike-zone-could-affect-pitchers-c215332170

Looks like it's been discussed several times, but not sure if players union will allow strike zone to be raised to top of the knees

Edited by LTtxfan

Under the regulations, no college baseball pitcher can exceed 110 pitches per game. If the threshold is passed, then that pitcher will not be able to throw for at least three more days.

To further deter injury, there are certain rest thresholds. If a pitcher throws fewer than 25 pitches, there shall be no mandatory days of rest. However, for pitchers throwing between 25 and 51 pitches, one day of rest is compulsory. From 51 to 76 pitches, two days will be needed and three days for pitch counts between 76 and the maximum limit of 110.

Here’s to both starters throwing over 76 pitches!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Weird, I guess I just assumed after Rosenblatt they played in the same stadium.

Go Wake, I guess.

The AAA team didn't want to play at TD Ameritrade (now Charles Schwab) because it was too big from both a field dimensions standpoint and stadium capacity standpoint. 

Werner Dimensions: 310/402/315

Charles Schwab: 335/408/335 

Schwab plays even bigger than that due to the prevailing winds that blow in from outfield almost all the time.

14 minutes ago, locodos said:

Serious question from a casual Baseball fan, What happened to the box they used to superimpose on the screen?  I always liked that, at least on the replay.

NCAA doesn't want you to see exactly how bad their umps are, so ESPN doesn't show it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

NCAA doesn't want you to see exactly how bad their umps are, so ESPN doesn't show it.

Didn't it actually disappear in the middle of one of the NCAA tournaments?

Like the strikezone was so bad one game, a decision was passed down overnight to remove it from broadcasts for the rest of the tournament?