2023 College World Series

Horny Bull

Both conferences load up on wins against shitty and/or overrated smaller schools. You play in your shitty, little ball parks to load up on stats.

You are gonna have to explain to me how what you say makes a damn bit of difference when you have 64 teams playing each other, and many conference tourney champs - meaning teams peaking at tourney time. Under your theory the overrated SEC should easily be exposed.  And it’s fucking baseball, where any club with a pulse and an ace can put you in the loser’s bracket.  
But we still wind up over-represented in Omaha, and not infrequently play an all conference final.  Occam’s razor has a better explanation.  You just don’t like it.  

You are gonna have to explain to me how what you say makes a damn bit of difference when you have 64 teams playing each other, and many conference tourney champs - meaning teams peaking at tourney time. Under your theory the overrated SEC should easily be exposed.  And it’s fucking baseball, where any club with a pulse and an ace can put you in the loser’s bracket.  
But we still wind up over-represented in Omaha, and not infrequently play an all conference final.  Occam’s razor has a better explanation.  You just don’t like it.  

20 years this shit has been happening. When Texas beat Floridas ass in the final. Who was the shittiest team we played in the CWS? That’s right the Gators. While Rice, Texas and Baylor loaded up the other side. Maybe Stanford too. Gators finished ranked 2nd I believe. During the Augie era, we annihilated quite a number of SEC/ACC teams. That tide has shifted but often those SEC wins are by narrow margins now.

Over representation and over seeded during this time period absolutely increased interest and ultimately now the willingness and ability to pay today.

The ACCs representation on the tourney and respective titles is not good. Absolutely the SEC is better. The SEC is not overrated. Their tops of all conferences. But that’s happened in part due to the seedings/matchups over the years. When you match a #1 seeded Sec team versus a #1 seeded ACC team in the supers, there’s a significant chance one makes the CWS. The western half of the country is often less respected and has for 20 years.

The tourney is good entertainment. I’m done watching. Go Gators.

13 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Having watched LSU win three in a row with it all on the line, against two against the best team in baseball, I am not chalking this one up as a gator win.

But man, how good is Aggy? 

It's not wise to bet against LSU in a CWS final. They've won 6 and only finished 2nd once. Sometimes they don't get to the finals, but when they do, they seem to have some mojo that carries them through. 

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

It's not wise to bet against LSU in a CWS final. They've won 6 and only finished 2nd once. Sometimes they don't get to the finals, but when they do, they seem to have some mojo that carries them through. 

They’re the UCONN of baseball. I want the gators to win but it looks like they’re fucked.

9 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

it is absolutely true that from a mental standpoint, the Tigers have every reason to believe that they deserve to be the champion - and historically they will be.  That is a good edge. They always bring more and more vocal fans.  That is a good edge.

Counterpoint: 2017

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

20 years this shit has been happening. When Texas beat Floridas ass in the final. Who was the shittiest team we played in the CWS? That’s right the Gators. While Rice, Texas and Baylor loaded up the other side. Maybe Stanford too. Gators finished ranked 2nd I believe. During the Augie era, we annihilated quite a number of SEC/ACC teams. That tide has shifted but often those SEC wins are by narrow margins now.

Over representation and over seeded during this time period absolutely increased interest and ultimately now the willingness and ability to pay today.

The ACCs representation on the tourney and respective titles is not good. Absolutely the SEC is better. The SEC is not overrated. Their tops of all conferences. But that’s happened in part due to the seedings/matchups over the years. When you match a #1 seeded Sec team versus a #1 seeded ACC team in the supers, there’s a significant chance one makes the CWS. The western half of the country is often less respected and has for 20 years.

Unlike Gatorubet, I am at best a casual College baseball fan.  Generally I only start watching Gator games during the regionals.  So I am naïve about many parts of the game.  It just seems to me that if the SEC is overrated and over seeded that would be exposed during the playoffs.  Overrated SEC teams would NOT advance against better quality teams.  But I'm not sure what homefield advantage is worth in college baseball.  I know Vegas says home football games are worth 3 points, what is the baseball equivalent?

Also the small parks (which led to greater apparent performance) would be the sight of the regional and super regional games, which would make the visiting team more potent than their record and further expose the SEC overratedness.

If this is all this is true, all Texas needs to do is:

1) Join SEC (done)

2) Move centerfield in 5 feet

3) ???

4) National tittle!

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I think this has been the best tourney of my lifetime, and not because the gators are in the finals. Almost every game was close and immensely entertaining and displayed a high quality of play.  Last night was unbelievable.   The final is almost a let down from that.  That play at the plate last night - OMG!

Thank you. Your typing fingers to God’s eyes.  

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

20 years this shit has been happening. When Texas beat Floridas ass in the final. Who was the shittiest team we played in the CWS? That’s right the Gators. While Rice, Texas and Baylor loaded up the other side. Maybe Stanford too. Gators finished ranked 2nd I believe.

Florida came in as the 7 seed and advanced by beating Big 12 Champ and 3 seed Nebraska.

Also, Rice didn't make it to the CWS that year.

Edited by gatormarc
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Like it or not the ACC and SEC have been getting preferential selections, seedings and matchups for years. That is certainly not the only reason these programs have achieved, but it is one. And it’s one that allows them to separate themselves from other conferences.

Both conferences load up on wins against shitty and/or overrated smaller schools. You play in your shitty, little ball parks to load up on stats.

All this has a cumulative effect.

Fair is an overused term in my house. There’s a lot of greatness in the NCAA tournament, but it’s not always fair. I’m not sure it’s fair that Texas had to go about as far east one week then almost as far west the following week. Anybody else do that? Ever? Whatever year we lost to Irvine or whomever it was when game 3 ended at 1 am our time was bs. This year you, as every year, have a number of examples in which the fairness didn’t play out so well. Auburn backed up their hosting selection. Is it fair that OSU got a team that knows them as a 4 seed that actually had the ability to run it all the way to the CWS? That’s got to be one of the biggest failures in seeding history. That is impactful for the #1 seed. Most 1s get a gimme game.

But you are right. They are the last two standing and earned their way to this point. I don’t like the fact that one team bought their way in.

I’ll make use of my freedom and not watch the finals. That said there is only one team to hope wins.

username checks out.

• Haha 1

Unlike Gatorubet, I am at best a casual College baseball fan.  Generally I only start watching Gator games during the regionals.  So I am naïve about many parts of the game.  It just seems to me that if the SEC is overrated and over seeded that would be exposed during the playoffs.  Overrated SEC teams would NOT advance against better quality teams.  But I'm not sure what homefield advantage is worth in college baseball.  I know Vegas says home football games are worth 3 points, what is the baseball equivalent?
Also the small parks (which led to greater apparent performance) would be the sight of the regional and super regional games, which would make the visiting team more potent than their record and further expose the SEC overratedness.
If this is all this is true, all Texas needs to do is:
1) Join SEC (done)
2) Move centerfield in 5 feet
3) ???
4) National tittle!
It’s just my opinion, but to me the more relevant stat is the number of different teams from each conference who have been to the finals. 
The 10 years before this year shows that 6 different SEC teams (Ole Miss, Miss St, Fla, LSU, Vandy & Pig) were in the finals a total of 10 times.  
During that same time the Pac-10 had three different teams (Arizona, UCLA & Oregon State) appearing one time each.
The ACC (Virginia) had one team appear twice.  
The Big-10 (Michigan) appeared once.  
The Big-12 (Oklahoma) appeared once.
Coastal Carolina appeared once.
With this year, there has been an SEC team in the Finals 12 times to the combined other conferences 8.
I decline to attribute that to seeding and small ball parks.   Having the two Big 12 baseball blue bloods join the SEC makes it even better.  Edited by Gatorubet
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I think this has been the best tourney of my lifetime, and not because the gators are in the finals. Almost every game was close and immensely entertaining and displayed a high quality of play.  Last night was unbelievable.   The final is almost a let down from that.  That play at the plate last night - OMG!

Thank you. Your typing fingers to God’s eyes.  

I agree with this.

Games have been incredible.

16 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Having watched LSU win three in a row with it all on the line, against two against the best team in baseball, I am not chalking this one up as a gator win.

But man, how good is Aggy? 

I was actually trying to jinx you.  Nothing personal, but the clue is in my username.

Tis long post. Sorry. Don’t blame everyone for skipping to the end.

I did just get a refresher on results. I had my years all jacked up. In the early 2000s, the SEC and ACC generally had good representation at the Cws, but they got drilled quite a bit. And the ACC didn’t win one for a long time.

It is the last 10 years or so that has changed. ACC finally won shit. SEC has kinda overrun teams. They absolutely get the benefit of the doubt, but their top end results are much better now.

This year. A&M with a 3 seed that was flailing at the end of the season. Actually A&M played to seed. Arkansas, Vandy did not play to their seed beaten by T-4th Big 12 and 6th PAC-12, respectively. LSU, UF, USC, Kentucky, Bama played to their seed. UTenn above seed.

Auburn. Worst performance of the tourney.

Kentucky, RPI kings, lost as many games to WVU and Indiana as we did but fewer wins. Ball State as a 4. Pretty easy draw. Lost 1. Got rocked by LSU next round. Likely overseeded as top 16.

Bama. Beat Nicholls State in a nail biter. Troy as the 3. Then BC. 6th best record in the ACC. Tough draw? Hung with Wake for one game. Then didn’t. Likely overseeded as top 16.

USC got Campbell and essentially 9th place ACC. Hung in pretty well with Florida. They were faltering late but probably top 16 and seeded well.

Tenn outplayed their seed. Who did they beat though? ACC. Then Sun Belt. They did earn it.

Big 12. Texas played above seed. Only team traveling coast to coast. TCU played above seed and lost to your Florida Gators because you got an out on a fly ball that was a homer 97% of the time in major league parks this year. Tech played above seed. OSU and WVU played below seed. OU to seed. Not even sure why OU got the nod over KSU. Those 3 teams playing over seed went 6-3 versus ACC/SEC. with all 3 losses to UF. OSU. Well they did lose to a team that was one of the final 6 so is that bad?

ACC. Wake, UNC, NCSU, BC and Virginia played to seed. Duke played above seed but Rider did some of their work for them. Miami below seed. Texas and OU were the only teams left of center in any of these regions.

PAC 12. Stanford, Washington, Oregon State to seed. Oregon above seed. Arizona below seed. Oregon was the only team to play in a regional with teams east of Ark/La. They won. Arizona only lost to teams west of Ark/La.

As best I can tell of the P5 conferences, the Big 12/PAC 12 are the only two conferences that had teams finish lower in the conference standings get selected over teams higher in the conference standings.

It’s gotten to the point that the western half of the US has little representation. The representation they do have is not underachieving either. It’ll probably get worse. I don’t find that good for the sport.

The selections are reflected in RPI, but that’s a big circle jerk. 11 of the top 12 in RPI are ACC/SEC. The other is Indiana State. This absolutely affects hosting and seeding. We’re trending to less diversification across the country. The circle jerk is because east coast teams play east coast teams so they prop each other up. When you drill down into their non-con schedules, it’s a ton of meh.

There’s no doubt some SEC teams deserve to achieve, but there’s a lot of favorable matchups and opportunities that quite simply others are not afforded. And a bit of that is this attachment at the hip with the ACC.

This year SEC got a shit ton of teams in, all hosting except aggy and Tenn.  My view, which is anecdotal from watching random games, was that this was pretty much justified.  From the post-season, I think they have held up well to their rankings/seedings.

I haven't always felt that way, but it seems like they have gotten better recently.  We will need to bring it when we join.  Also if they are over-ranked, it will be to our benefit beginning in '24.

4 hours ago, Cajun said:

I was actually trying to jinx you.  Nothing personal, but the clue is in my username.

Dude. How long have we both been on here - and prior to that, Shaggy?  I was well aware of your corn-doggian shenanigans.

Do not diss my de-jinxing efforts.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Tis long post. Sorry. Don’t blame everyone for skipping to the end.

I did just get a refresher on results. I had my years all jacked up. In the early 2000s, the SEC and ACC generally had good representation at the Cws, but they got drilled quite a bit. And the ACC didn’t win one for a long time.

It is the last 10 years or so that has changed. ACC finally won shit. SEC has kinda overrun teams. They absolutely get the benefit of the doubt, but their top end results are much better now.

This year. A&M with a 3 seed that was flailing at the end of the season. Actually A&M played to seed. Arkansas, Vandy did not play to their seed beaten by T-4th Big 12 and 6th PAC-12, respectively. LSU, UF, USC, Kentucky, Bama played to their seed. UTenn above seed.

Auburn. Worst performance of the tourney.

Kentucky, RPI kings, lost as many games to WVU and Indiana as we did but fewer wins. Ball State as a 4. Pretty easy draw. Lost 1. Got rocked by LSU next round. Likely overseeded as top 16.

Bama. Beat Nicholls State in a nail biter. Troy as the 3. Then BC. 6th best record in the ACC. Tough draw? Hung with Wake for one game. Then didn’t. Likely overseeded as top 16.

USC got Campbell and essentially 9th place ACC. Hung in pretty well with Florida. They were faltering late but probably top 16 and seeded well.

Tenn outplayed their seed. Who did they beat though? ACC. Then Sun Belt. They did earn it.

Big 12. Texas played above seed. Only team traveling coast to coast. TCU played above seed and lost to your Florida Gators because you got an out on a fly ball that was a homer 97% of the time in major league parks this year. Tech played above seed. OSU and WVU played below seed. OU to seed. Not even sure why OU got the nod over KSU. Those 3 teams playing over seed went 6-3 versus ACC/SEC. with all 3 losses to UF. OSU. Well they did lose to a team that was one of the final 6 so is that bad?

ACC. Wake, UNC, NCSU, BC and Virginia played to seed. Duke played above seed but Rider did some of their work for them. Miami below seed. Texas and OU were the only teams left of center in any of these regions.

PAC 12. Stanford, Washington, Oregon State to seed. Oregon above seed. Arizona below seed. Oregon was the only team to play in a regional with teams east of Ark/La. They won. Arizona only lost to teams west of Ark/La.

As best I can tell of the P5 conferences, the Big 12/PAC 12 are the only two conferences that had teams finish lower in the conference standings get selected over teams higher in the conference standings.

It’s gotten to the point that the western half of the US has little representation. The representation they do have is not underachieving either. It’ll probably get worse. I don’t find that good for the sport.

The selections are reflected in RPI, but that’s a big circle jerk. 11 of the top 12 in RPI are ACC/SEC. The other is Indiana State. This absolutely affects hosting and seeding. We’re trending to less diversification across the country. The circle jerk is because east coast teams play east coast teams so they prop each other up. When you drill down into their non-con schedules, it’s a ton of meh.

There’s no doubt some SEC teams deserve to achieve, but there’s a lot of favorable matchups and opportunities that quite simply others are not afforded.     

I point out that the SEC has put 12 teams in the finals the last 11 years, w/ six different SEC teams.  I point out that the SEC alone put a third more teams in the finals than the rest of the conferences in the universe during that period combined, and you go on about how the Gators lucked up beating TCU (previously, you said we were overrated because we played in small ball parks….but now we are apparently lucky because we got an out in a bigger ballpark.  If you can find a close Gator win in a medium size park it will be the Florida Overrated Goldilocks Tri-Fecta! Drink!!)  You again suggest that we get favorable matchups in regionals because we are overrated.   You once again skip over the part where you explain why these overrated teams did not get beat in regionals, or if the overrated teams luck up and won the regional, how they somehow got by teams in the super regionals even though they’re overrated.  Nor do you attempt to explain why when these overrated teams who win the regionals and super regionals get to the College World Series, those same overrated teams somehow get in the fucking finals more often.  A LOT more often. 

So I agree to disagree. Since you pull for the Gators over LSU, feel free to diss the conference (or UF) until Tuesday without a further response from me.    You show excellent taste not wanting another corn dog win.

Go Gators!

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, cochamps said:

This year SEC got a shit ton of teams in, all hosting except aggy and Tenn.  My view, which is anecdotal from watching random games, was that this was pretty much justified.  From the post-season, I think they have held up well to their rankings/seedings.

I haven't always felt that way, but it seems like they have gotten better recently.  We will need to bring it when we join.  Also if they are over-ranked, it will be to our benefit beginning in '24.

Yeah anybody trying to argue that the SEC isn’t the best conference in baseball is just delusional. The worst team in the SEC (Ole Miss) went 6-24 in the SEC and 19-5 against the rest of the country.

They won 81% percent of their non conference games as a conference. The ACC won 77%, the PAC 12 won 70% and Big 12 won 66%

51 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Yeah anybody trying to argue that the SEC isn’t the best conference in baseball is just delusional. The worst team in the SEC (Ole Miss) went 6-24 in the SEC and 19-5 against the rest of the country.

They won 81% percent of their non conference games as a conference. The ACC won 77%, the PAC 12 won 70% and Big 12 won 66%

Which makes sense. Yeah the west coast has Stanford, Fullerton, the Oregon schools, and the once every few years Savage has a good year, ucla. Zona and Arizona state are mediocre now. We fucking broke Arizona state in 2021. Looking forward to poaching more west coast kids the next few years. 

I point out that the SEC has put 12 teams in the finals the last 11 years, w/ six different SEC teams.  I point out that the SEC alone put a third more teams in the finals than the rest of the conferences in the universe during that period combined, and you go on about how the Gators lucked up beating TCU (previously, you said we were overrated because we played in small ball parks….but now we are apparently lucky because we got an out in a bigger ballpark.  If you can find a close Gator win in a medium size park it will be the Florida Overrated Goldilocks Tri-Fecta! Drink!!)  You again suggest that we get favorable matchups in regionals because we are overrated.   You once again skip over the part where you explain why these overrated teams did not get beat in regionals, or if the overrated teams luck up and won the regional, how they somehow got by teams in the super regionals even though they’re overrated.  Nor do you attempt to explain why when these overrated teams who win the regionals and super regionals get to the College World Series, those same overrated teams somehow get in the fucking finals more often.  A LOT more often. 
So I agree to disagree. Since you pull for the Gators over LSU, feel free to diss the conference (or UF) until Tuesday without a further response from me.    You show excellent taste not wanting another corn dog win.
Go Gators!

the feelings of the SEC overhype machine go back beyond 10 years. And the overhyped of the prior 10 years absolutely elevated the teams in the conference the most recent 10 years. I gave credit for improvement in the last decade.

Just this season, Auburn, Arkansas and Vandy, if you go by post season results, were considerably overseeded. That’s 30%. You will not find a shittier effort from any conference at that high a clip this year. It’s not that Arkansas lost. It was the manner in which they lost. Auburn was handled in their two games. Vandy battled, but they didn’t hang a loss on their #2. A 6th place Pac12 team. All indications of not playing to your seed. Or stated otherwise, overseeded.

A&M was absolutely over seeded. Congrats on them beating CSF, a team that was 3-7 in their last 10 against no tourney teams. CSF didn’t even win their conference but got in I assume because the actual winner was not eligible. Bama and UK were likely overseeded based on their post season efforts. They did win their regionals but barely put up a fight beyond that and didn’t beat anyone of note in their regional. That’s 60%. Lsu is clearly a top 5 team. UF is likely as well. Tenn played above their seeding but has significant talent.

Kentucky swept Indiana State in 3 games by a total of 4 runs. Beat Indiana and Xavier in non-con. They also lost to Elon, Wright State and Louisville. That ISU team was rolling too seeing as how Northeastern swept them at home the week prior by 10 runs.

Bama lost 2 of 3 to Columbia. Gave up 10+ runs twice. Lost by 12 once. Their big non-con wins were Troy x 2 and Southern Miss. Also lost to UAB. They played about 3 non-con road games. All midweekers.

There’s no doubt both are good teams, but there’s not a damn thing that says they’re absolutely top 16 and deserving of hosting. And that matchup versus the 4 and playing at home are major advantages.

The SEC can be the best conference and receive preferential treatment. Same as in football. And a continuation of that over time creates a greater divide. Again, that’s not the only reason, but it is one reason.
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Big 12. Texas played above seed. Only team traveling coast to coast. TCU played above seed and lost to your Florida Gators because you got an out on a fly ball that was a homer 97% of the time in major league parks this year.

Sure, but UF hit two shots in the top half of the inning that would have been Homeruns based on your newly moved goalposts.

• Haha 1

Sure, but UF hit two shots in the top half of the inning that would have been Homeruns based on your newly moved goalposts.

The point is that it was a close game. One in which the teams were comparable. A middle tier big 12 team.

Your winning run scored on well placed hopper so let’s not forget that.

The truth is that TCU has good talent, is up and down, and ran through their regional and super regional in pretty easy fashion then in their two CWS losses gave their opponent all they could handle.

Their overall and probably conference record is mediocre because they actually challenged themselves. No easy ass series. Mid weeks presented some challenges. They played in two neutral site tournaments sandwiching an ACC opponent and tourney team DBU on the road. Played CSF and San Diego as weekend series too. They did have two games against sub-500 teams (one in a tourney and one Big 10) and a few midweek games versus .500 teams. One versus Tarleton who is 30 minutes away, and I don’t remember who else.

I’m not sure the metrics say it, but that’s likely the most difficult schedule in the country. Lots of potential losses if you don’t come to play.

No 14-41 Sienna or 22-28 Charleston Southern 3 game series to right the ship and gain confidence. Nice two games road series to USF. 18 games under .500 USF. Then there’s sub .500 Cincy. 9 games under Cincy. Jacksonville and FAU were above .500. And you did play Miami and FSU.

54 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The point is that it was a close game. One in which the teams were comparable. A middle tier big 12 team.

Your winning run scored on well placed hopper so let’s not forget that.

The truth is that TCU has good talent, is up and down, and ran through their regional and super regional in pretty easy fashion then in their two CWS losses gave their opponent all they could handle.

Their overall and probably conference record is mediocre because they actually challenged themselves. No easy ass series. Mid weeks presented some challenges. They played in two neutral site tournaments sandwiching an ACC opponent and tourney team DBU on the road. Played CSF and San Diego as weekend series too. They did have two games against sub-500 teams (one in a tourney and one Big 10) and a few midweek games versus .500 teams. One versus Tarleton who is 30 minutes away, and I don’t remember who else.

I’m not sure the metrics say it, but that’s likely the most difficult schedule in the country. Lots of potential losses if you don’t come to play.

No 14-41 Sienna or 22-28 Charleston Southern 3 game series to right the ship and gain confidence. Nice two games road series to USF. 18 games under .500 USF. Then there’s sub .500 Cincy. 9 games under Cincy. Jacksonville and FAU were above .500. And you did play Miami and FSU.

I’m not trying to rain on your rant parade but what exactly constitutes a tough opponent?

In the same page of this thread you belittled A&M beating CSF because they went 3-7 in their final 10 games while giving TCU credit for playing them?

TCU had multiple games against sub .500 teams. 3 against 23-31 Florida State, 1 against 21-37 Rice, 3 against 24-25-1 San Diego, 1 against 10-40 Northwestern, 1 against 24-26 Tarleton State.

TCU played 10 non conference games against teams with sub .500 records. Florida played 15. 

• Like 1

I’m getting a little fired up about this shit as I peruse various schedules. Again, I’m not arguing the SEC is not the best.

Intuitively, the ACC is vastly overrated and their record is a metric used to support. If you get 6-8 teams in a regional and many of them home series, you will hit pay dirt on occasion.

In a limited sample, the numbers have limited value without additional context. I haven’t viewed all SEC schedules but a majority. I don’t recall seeing many travels to Texas or west other than early season tourneys. Auburn played the USC Trojans in Alabama. The Aggies played Seattle and Portland (lost two). That’s damn near it for the western half of the US. Oh wait, Tenn went west for a tourney. Lost 2 of 3. They invited Gonzaga over. Swept them. I think Gonzaga was 0-7 versus Big 12 teams. MSU 3-3 in a tourney and home series versus P5 teams. Of those 4 teams, only ASU finished top 5 in their conference at 5.

Georgia barely left that huge state. 5 non-con games versus ACC. Otherwise, nada.

I’m not sure UF left the state. They played like 13 games in non-conference against sub.500 teams. Missouri played Texas Southern in a 3 game series for heavens sake. Ole Miss challenged themselves with a home series versus Maryland and a tourney against Big 10 teams.

I’ve highlighted Bamas and UKs mighty schedules. Arkansas was decent, but they had some ugly losses.

There were numerous comments about our schedule and Techs as well but damn if the SECs aren’t worse. Fullerton is not great, but they’re capable. And they’re half way across the country. And it’s their place. Our mid week games versus LSU, the Ags, TxSt and SHSU are solid to strong. When we played weak stuff, we ran off 15 in a row with few of them close. Tech and OU battled Stanford.

It’s not all about who you play but where and the sequencing. This is just one year, but my guess it’s a bit similar from year to year.

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m getting a little fired up about this shit as I peruse various schedules. Again, I’m not arguing the SEC is not the best.

Intuitively, the ACC is vastly overrated and their record is a metric used to support. If you get 6-8 teams in a regional and many of them home series, you will hit pay dirt on occasion.

In a limited sample, the numbers have limited value without additional context. I haven’t viewed all SEC schedules but a majority. I don’t recall seeing many travels to Texas or west other than early season tourneys. Auburn played the USC Trojans in Alabama. The Aggies played Seattle and Portland (lost two). That’s damn near it for the western half of the US. Oh wait, Tenn went west for a tourney. Lost 2 of 3. They invited Gonzaga over. Swept them. I think Gonzaga was 0-7 versus Big 12 teams. MSU 3-3 in a tourney and home series versus P5 teams. Of those 4 teams, only ASU finished top 5 in their conference at 5.

Georgia barely left that huge state. 5 non-con games versus ACC. Otherwise, nada.

I’m not sure UF left the state. They played like 13 games in non-conference against sub.500 teams. Missouri played Texas Southern in a 3 game series for heavens sake. Ole Miss challenged themselves with a home series versus Maryland and a tourney against Big 10 teams.

I’ve highlighted Bamas and UKs mighty schedules. Arkansas was decent, but they had some ugly losses.

There were numerous comments about our schedule and Techs as well but damn if the SECs aren’t worse. Fullerton is not great, but they’re capable. And they’re half way across the country. And it’s their place. Our mid week games versus LSU, the Ags, TxSt and SHSU are solid to strong. When we played weak stuff, we ran off 15 in a row with few of them close. Tech and OU battled Stanford.

It’s not all about who you play but where and the sequencing. This is just one year, but my guess it’s a bit similar from year to year.

So to sum up your argument, play good teams = hard, play bad teams = easy. Most teams dominate the easy part of their schedule that is what you are supposed to do. Texas played plenty of bad teams this year as they should. Can’t play a wire to wire meat grinder.

You can cherry pick bad losses on any teams schedule.

West Virginia lost 2/3 to Georgia Southern (27-29), lost to Richmond (27-28), split with Hofstra.

Oklahoma “battled” Stanford splitting a series with their wins being by a combined 8-5 and Stanfords 2 wins being by a combined 39-16. Same Oklahoma team who lost a home series to 28-30 California Baptist.

Im not going to trade researched essays back and forth but you can pick apart anyone’s resume. Bottom line is they won 81% of their non conference games as a conference. 

Not a martyr for the SEC by any means. Auburn hosting was a joke, everybody clowned on that decision. 

How do they get preferential treatment?

On 6/23/2023 at 11:25 AM, Gatorubet said:

It’s just my opinion, but to me the more relevant stat is the number of different teams from each conference who have been to the finals. 
The 10 years before this year shows that 6 different SEC teams (Ole Miss, Miss St, Fla, LSU, Vandy & Pig) were in the finals a total of 10 times.  
During that same time the Pac-10 had three different teams (Arizona, UCLA & Oregon State) appearing one time each.
The ACC (Virginia) had one team appear twice.  
The Big-10 (Michigan) appeared once.  
The Big-12 (Oklahoma) appeared once.
Coastal Carolina appeared once.
With this year, there has been an SEC team in the Finals 12 times to the combined other conferences 8.
I decline to attribute that to seeding and small ball parks.   Having the two Big 12 baseball blue bloods join the SEC makes it even better. 

There’s only one baseball blue blood in the Big12. Other than that I have no qualms. 

SEC is the best baseball conference right now. Not really debatable.

57 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m not sure UF left the state.

You seem to be going straight from the B1G football playbook.

Let's see, UF doesn't get credit for playing Miami and FSU because they are in state.

Goes right there with SEC teams only won because they were allowed to play in the games. If they had been kept out of the BCS/Playoffs/Omaha they wouldn't nearly win as much.

I’m not trying to rain on your rant parade but what exactly constitutes a tough opponent?
In the same page of this thread you belittled A&M beating CSF because they went 3-7 in their final 10 games while giving TCU credit for playing them?
TCU had multiple games against sub .500 teams. 3 against 23-31 Florida State, 1 against 21-37 Rice, 3 against 24-25-1 San Diego, 1 against 10-40 Northwestern, 1 against 24-26 Tarleton State.
TCU played 10 non conference games against teams with sub .500 records. Florida played 15. 

You surely see the difference between scheduling a CSF of your own accord versus a committee assigned tournament matchup? That’s two different discussions.

In the end, CSF finished 3-7 and did not appear to win their conference based on the conference website. Off the top of my head, no other teams from the conference made the tourney. They got in because the winner is in a mandatory reclassification period. They’re a solid team with some good talent that finished poorly. The committee thought highly enough of the conference to award no other teams a berth in spite of the fact that two teams had better overall records than CSF. And only 1 game in conference difference for one and a tie breaker on the other. What about that indicates a 3 seed is warranted? Contrast that with Oral Roberts. CSF was on that fine line of 3 versus 4 seed presumably. They were in no way a strong 3 seed.

TCUs intent in scheduling FSU and CSF was to challenge themselves. FSU faltering should not be considered a scheduling weakness for either team. At that time, I didn’t even look at their record because they are P5 and historically good.

Rice was the tourney game. You sign up for the tourney, you play who is assigned/invited. It was only 1 game. Northwestern is P5. They’re terrible. One game though. I see Tarleton at .500. In very close proximity. Personally I encourage these matchups for all teams. One game. San Diego is half a game under .500. Conference website shows as them as .500. Counted them as .500. If that’s the easiest non-conference team you schedule for a series, that’s solid.

Quick calc using your numbers of 10 and 15, shows TCU played 10/40 noncon games versus UFs 15/35. That’s 25% versus 43%. That’s 50% more games and even a greater ratio given the fewer non-con games of UF.

Obviously a tough opponent is different for different persons and subjective. A road or neutral game is tougher. Scheduling a team that has little to no chance of beating you is different than one that can beat you on a good day.

Let's see, UF doesn't get credit for playing Miami and FSU because they are in state.
Goes right there with SEC teams only won because they were allowed to play in the games. If they had been kept out of the BCS/Playoffs/Omaha they wouldn't nearly win as much.

I said you were likely top 5. I said the conference was the best. Not one time have I said that UF was undeserving this year. Yea, you get credit for FSU and Miami. But Sienna was scheduled for a relaxing intrasquad scrimmage for a weekend. Most of that shit was scheduled for wins.

What else do you want?

Last years Texas team versus this year is a good example. Last years team had an injury, but generally wore out after a fast start. It was a physical and mental toll. And we backed off that this year. And we benefited. It wasnt as soft as people made it out to be, but it was very soft right when we needed it to be. We did play 14 non-con games versus tourney teams though including 10 out of our first 12. We were 5-7. Then the shit came, we racked up wins, we were ranked, confidence was up, and we’re back.

I’m not asking for UF or Texas to apologize for their schedules. But there should be an understanding of the impact on the end result.

This year there was no question about UF as a 1 seed. And you proved everyone right. If Bama and UK were truly analyzed, there are absolutely questions about that legitimacy. Had they lost 2-3 mores games, they likely are out of that 1 spot. Or maybe had we scheduled totally trash that opening weekend those wins get us that 1.

Fine. I’m out after this post.

I was interested/curious. Since I looked, I thought some might be interested while not interested enough to look themselves. I should know better and forget where I was. And generally try to respond when responded to directly. Again, screw me.

I’d whip the shit out of you any day Underdog. To help ensure I stay on top of my game, I’m going to get a workout.

Go Gators. Truly hope you win. And handily would be nice.

40 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

Don't know about the schedule talk,  but I do know I am about to dress in a pair of burnt orange gym shorts and a blue polo.   Don't let us down !

Rv6Ibl.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3d6953db536f81

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gatormarc said:

The BCS thing is def different than baseball or basketball 

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The BCS thing is def different than baseball or basketball 

It definitely different given the size of the field, but it's still the same argument.

Example: In 2006, B1G proponents saying that UF wasn't even in Ohio State's league in 2006.

After the game, they discounted the loss because UF shouldn't have been allowed to play in the game.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

It definitely different given the size of the field, but it's still the same argument.

Example: In 2006, B1G proponents saying that UF wasn't even in Ohio State's league in 2006.

After the game, they discounted the loss because UF shouldn't have been allowed to play in the game.

Well that was pretty dumb. Anyone who didn’t make a killing betting on UF that game needs their head examined 

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Well that was pretty dumb. Anyone who didn’t make a killing betting on UF that game needs their head examined 

I've only gambled on UF once.

It was during the Ron Zook era and we hadn't yet established that he was a equally capable of struggling against lesser opponents as he was beating better ones.

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Fine. I’m out after this post.

I was interested/curious. Since I looked, I thought some might be interested while not interested enough to look themselves. I should know better and forget where I was. And generally try to respond when responded to directly. Again, screw me.

I’d whip the shit out of you any day Underdog. To help ensure I stay on top of my game, I’m going to get a workout.

Go Gators. Truly hope you win. And handily would be nice.

Name the time, sugar. 

image.thumb.png.0223ac7fff8d04a198bc4261526aeea3.png