Surly Horns Stampede To Tuscaloosa

immamac

On 6/17/2023 at 11:21 PM, Waterboarder said:

I'm going to be coming with my daughter (she's 14 you sick fucks)

On 6/18/2023 at 2:57 PM, ztejas said:

!remindSurly 4 years 

Actually age of consent in Alabama is 16...   of course pursuing the 16 year old daughter of a guy named Waterboarder might come with some consequences... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Are you maybe thinking about the bus station? Because the train station is 1.7 miles from the stadium. I thought the walk was fairly flat. Agree on the heat but that's one of the reasons I'd rather be in jail (you get shade, plus fewer drunks) than Ttown on game day.

You, sir, are correct. It only seems like five miles. For someone born and raised in Tuscaloosa, my estimate of walking distance was way off.  For most game dsys, I agree with your last sentence unless you are somewhere from which you can walk to the game in thirty minutes or less.

I have a feeling this game will be a great one. Bama vs Texas = Unpredictable Chaos.

• Drool 1

31 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

You, sir, are correct. It only seems like five miles. For someone born and raised in Tuscaloosa, my estimate of walking distance was way off.  For most game dsys, I agree with your last sentence unless you are somewhere from which you can walk to the game in thirty minutes or less.

I have a feeling this game will be a great one. Bama vs Texas = Unpredictable Chaos.

Totally agree. As to game-day convenience, I used to live in a house on the west side of Wallace Wade Ave. I'd sit on the porch swing, wait for kick-off, then cross the street with a 5 dollar bill and get an unscalped ticket.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:10 AM, Assman said:

I'll be there with a buddy so count us in.

Now that I've confirmed that important part of the journey, time to look for tickets, rooms, and a way to get there.

With a name like that you’ll have no problems, honcho…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

TBD. The on campus RV spots aren’t for sale until mid-August according to UA Gameday. They said they put me on “the list” to be notified when that occurs. 

Can you ping me via DM when that happens as well? RV spots on campus are boondocked IIRC no power or anything. I found a place that is not on the list but very close that may have a spot or 2. I'll send you a DM if there's 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

from a former bama player 

Hey Brooke said you were looking for recommendations on bars to hit in ttown- the strip will be a shit show but definitely make sure you get to Galletes and get a yellowhammer and the Houndstooth is a pretty bumping place on gameday. CopperTop or Rythm and Brews in downtown Tuscaloosa would both be great spots to tailgate/pregame that won’t have as big of a crowd as the main spots. Of course there is always Innisfree but they will be charging a $40 cover to get in there…best bet would be to hit the strip like an hour and a half- two hours before kickoff and then hit the bars up there then, it’s a legit shitshow of people these days

any insight on these spots

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Hey Brooke said you were looking for recommendations on bars to hit in ttown- the strip will be a shit show but definitely make sure you get to Galletes and get a yellowhammer and the Houndstooth is a pretty bumping place on gameday. CopperTop or Rythm and Brews in downtown Tuscaloosa would both be great spots to tailgate/pregame that won’t have as big of a crowd as the main spots. Of course there is always Innisfree but they will be charging a $40 cover to get in there…best bet would be to hit the strip like an hour and a half- two hours before kickoff and then hit the bars up there then, it’s a legit shitshow of people these days

We will be at our tailgate so who fucking cares about these spots. We will be going to galletes and innisfree and deciding which one we are opening a welcome to Tuscaloosa Friday night Bartab at. 

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Houndstooth sucks. It's just a big open concrete sports bar. It used to be cool but they tore it down. 

Gallettes is right by the stadium. It's cheap, with good drinks, but will be slammed. Still I recommend it over downtown and then the long walk in. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 7/17/2023 at 10:00 AM, BHMCruiser said:

Houndstooth sucks. It's just a big open concrete sports bar. It used to be cool but they tore it down. 

Gallettes is right by the stadium. It's cheap, with good drinks, but will be slammed. Still I recommend it over downtown and then the long walk in. 

Yeah, about 20 years ago they took the Strip, which at one time was a stretch of quirky dives, and tore it to bits and remade it into a mall food court.

Not that it was great in olden days, but at least it was original.

Gallettes is the only "old" place I know of, depending on your definition of "old." I guess Egans finally caved in.

Actually the best breakfast spot is the City Cafe in Northport but it’s not open on Saturdays

18 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yeah, about 20 years ago they took the Strip, which at one time was a stretch of quirky dives, and tore it to bits and remade it into a mall food court.

Not that it was great in olden days, but at least it was original.

Gallettes is the only "old" place I know of, depending on your definition of "old." I guess Egans finally caved in.

Egan’s was gross. The old Houndstooth slammed. 

For folks like me still looking into gameday travel between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, this popped up which I hadn't seen before: https://www.strugglebusbham.com/services-basic-2

There are a few photos on their site but not much in the way of reviews or testimonials, so unsure how legit it is, but they list a gameday roundtrip (10 hours) in a 12 person bus for $1350 and 25 (or 30?) person bus for $2150.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/16/2023 at 1:14 PM, immamac said:

We need a Houston area Weber smoky mountain (WSM) 22" we can borrow for the weekend or another smoker that is relatively easy to transport to and from a tailgate with 2 dudes and a truck. Plan is to smoke our own meats. 

I am 50/50 on going but even if I dont, I have a backup option for you. 

I have one of those knockoff eggs that still works just fine.  I’m upgrading soon after 7 years and happy to give it to y’all and you can just leave it in Alabama.  It’s standard size so might be too small for your desires but I’ve made lots of delicious ribs and chicken on it.  Anyways, giving you plan D as the floor.

1 minute ago, Hornbeliever said:

I am 50/50 on going but even if I dont, I have a backup option for you. 

I have one of those knockoff eggs that still works just fine.  I’m upgrading soon after 7 years and happy to give it to y’all and you can just leave it in Alabama.  It’s standard size so might be too small for your desires but I’ve made lots of delicious ribs and chicken on it.  Anyways, giving you plan D as the floor.

does it have 2 tiers? gotta be able to do 2 briskets at once

4 hours ago, immamac said:

does it have 2 tiers? gotta be able to do 2 briskets at once

Plan E now because only one tier and never did a brisket.  I think fine option for ribs and chicken but seems unwieldy for brisket and other long cooks where you have to mess with coals.  Oh well, wanted to pitch in for the cause

16 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

For folks like me still looking into gameday travel between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, this popped up which I hadn't seen before: https://www.strugglebusbham.com/services-basic-2

There are a few photos on their site but not much in the way of reviews or testimonials, so unsure how legit it is, but they list a gameday roundtrip (10 hours) in a 12 person bus for $1350 and 25 (or 30?) person bus for $2150.

Emailed the guy and got a quick response, he said their bigger buses are booked but the 12 seater is still available.

While I’m sure there will be a lot, I only personally know of a few people staying in Birmingham. Any others here that would potentially be interested in trying to fill out a group of 12? I think I’d have about five people already.

Think you can more or less arrange it, but it’s for up to 10 hours, so with 6pm game time and travel time guessing something like 1pm.

My buddy is trying to convince me we can just reserve an uberX in advance both ways and lock in the price (around $200 total round trip). I’m skeptical of that working.

18 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Think you can more or less arrange it, but it’s for up to 10 hours, so with 6pm game time and travel time guessing something like 1pm.

My buddy is trying to convince me we can just reserve an uberX in advance both ways and lock in the price (around $200 total round trip). I’m skeptical of that working.

I’ll buy the rest of the slots and recoup from people who hop on if you wanna pull the trigger. 

On 7/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, LonghornSean said:

Emailed the guy and got a quick response, he said their bigger buses are booked but the 12 seater is still available.

While I’m sure there will be a lot, I only personally know of a few people staying in Birmingham. Any others here that would potentially be interested in trying to fill out a group of 12? I think I’d have about five people already.

I’m in for 2….assuming the 12-seater has a pisser on board? I can make it work either way….

Edited by Ignatius

5 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I’m in for 2….assuming the 12-seater has a pisser on board? I can make it work either way….

Hmm, based on the available photos, I don't think so. Instead, it seems to have a stripper pole (I'm assuming the ones below are the 12 seater). That may not be the right vibe...

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

https://www.facebook.com/strugglebusbham/photos

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, LonghornSean said:

Mark me down for a single.  I haven't studied the logistics yet but would rather stay in B-ham with return flight options on Sunday.

On 7/21/2023 at 5:53 PM, LonghornSean said:

got a group of 4 i am floating the idea to.  we have rental booked, but who really wants to deal with that shit

On 7/2/2023 at 10:14 PM, RDCanecutter said:

I'd rather sit in the county jail than attempt to drive to Tuscaloosa on game day, but if any of y'all hipsters are stayin at the Aloft in Homewood (because that's where y'all always stay,) give a holler and I'll shuffle down the street to imbibe one with you.

There are a dozen bars/restaurants that might as well be bars within walking distance of there, including one in the hotel itself.

Know anything about the location of the Holiday Inn Express in "Tuscaloosa East"? Also seen it referenced as being in "Homewood". Just curious if there are walking distance restaurants and bars or if it's a bitch to stay at and still easily do stuff.

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Know anything about the location of the Holiday Inn Express in "Tuscaloosa East"? Also seen it referenced as being in "Homewood". Just curious if there are walking distance restaurants and bars or if it's a bitch to stay at and still easily do stuff.

OK, from what I can tell:

Holiday Inn Express in "Tuscaloosa East" is way out (8+ miles) from the stadium, or anything else Tuscaloosa-ish in the real sense as opposed to a fanciful line on a map.  Nothing close by except an Interstate exit.

There is a Holiday Inn Express in Homewood, a suburb touching Birmingham and therefore about 55 miles from the UA stadium. Homewood has a pretty cool little downtown and some good restaurants, but you won't walk to any of it from this Holiday Inn Express because it is in a half-empty shopping development named "Wildwood" which has no woods or wildlife. While there you could romp around various chain restaurants with sticky tables, or maybe go check out this new concept they call "Walmart." There is also a Hooters where young ladies work because they love 40-year-old men who frequent Hooters. Oh and I forgot Lowes. Gotta hit Lowes tomorrow for more packing tape.

14 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

OK, from what I can tell:

Holiday Inn Express in "Tuscaloosa East" is way out (8+ miles) from the stadium, or anything else Tuscaloosa-ish in the real sense as opposed to a fanciful line on a map.  Nothing close by except an Interstate exit.

There is a Holiday Inn Express in Homewood, a suburb touching Birmingham and therefore about 55 miles from the UA stadium. Homewood has a pretty cool little downtown and some good restaurants, but you won't walk to any of it from this Holiday Inn Express because it is in a half-empty shopping development named "Wildwood" which has no woods or wildlife. While there you could romp around various chain restaurants with sticky tables, or maybe go check out this new concept they call "Walmart." There is also a Hooters where young ladies work because they love 40-year-old men who frequent Hooters. Oh and I forgot Lowes. Gotta hit Lowes tomorrow for more packing tape.

Yes that's technically Homewood but it's a total dump there. There are nice hotels in Homewood proper, and plenty of good hotels in downtown Birmingham. 

There are frequently large game day buses that run from Hoover (another suburb) to the stadium and back. They are really for Bammers but they should be nice to you since every Alabama fan in the world knows we got away with a face mask that should have cost us the game last year. The ride back on the other hand could completely suck ass. 

• Drool 1

• Pancho unpinned this topic