Could orange foam save the game we love?

Oakbrook

Ballistic gel material.  Hmmm . . .

What happens when you put this in a football helmet.? Maybe do away with the hard shell and return to something like leather helmet made of gel cloth!

Could this turn the tide of wussification of the game?

Too good to be true?

At least it’s the right color - if not the right shade.

<Now I attempt a link>

https://apple.news/ABnX_q7ZkQdu2TAzsIU8Qag

gt -

Exactly my response.

i’m imagining shoulder pads the size of epaulets, uniforms looking more like they did in the 1920’s.  Those would be some serious throw back uni’s.

ob-

Edited by Oakbrook

10 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Can’t see shit captain.

How does it slow down an impact? It’s the skull suddenly stopping and the brain hitting the inside of the skull that causes the damage. It’s not the outside of the skull that needs protecting.

Exactly, there are two collisions, you and the other  player, and your brain and the skull.  Not sure how you stop your brain from sloshing in the pan.

• Like 1

Apparently, already being integrated by manufacturers:

“Partnerships, like the D3O liner integration into Schutt's sports helmets, have helped to make access to this remarkable innovation more available to civilians.”

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Can’t see shit captain.

How does it slow down an impact? It’s the skull suddenly stopping and the brain hitting the inside of the skull that causes the damage. It’s not the outside of the skull that needs protecting.

Theory would be to slow the deceleration of the skull by having it travel further, thereby lessening the impact of the brain within. 

Like crumple zones in cars spread the impact energy and lengthen the deceleration so that the people inside don’t feel as violent an impact. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oakbrook said:

Well, let’s see.  Shock obsorbers, braking systems, parachutes, how do they work?

you’re right.  No cure for inertia.

ob-

I'm not saying it isn't an interesting  idea, But your brain is floating in a pan of fluid, and when you move forward it does as well, when you stop it continues to move forward  til it encounters resistance (your skull). I'd guess the impact is being reduced greatly with the new absorbing material which may be an answer.  

Brakes don't stop the bag of groceries in your back seat from slamming into the front seats when you stop suddenly.

Shock absorbers absorb some of the shock, but your car still moves up and down as a result of the initial jolt.

Parachutes have quite a bit of de acceleration attached to their function.

I hope it pans out......

On 6/30/2018 at 1:51 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm not saying it isn't an interesting  idea, But your brain is floating in a pan of fluid, and when you move forward it does as well, when you stop it continues to move forward  til it encounters resistance (your skull). I'd guess the impact is being reduced greatly with the new absorbing material which may be an answer.  

Brakes don't stop the bag of groceries in your back seat from slamming into the front seats when you stop suddenly.

Shock absorbers absorb some of the shock, but your car still moves up and down as a result of the initial jolt.

Parachutes have quite a bit of de acceleration attached to their function.

I hope it pans out......

Think of it as an added layer of shock absorption. It will lessen the amount of energy transferred to the noggin and reduce the jolt. You're still going to have impact, just less damage.

3 minutes ago, RPM said:

Think of it as an added layer of shock absorption. It will lessen the amount of energy transferred to the noggin and reduce the jolt. You're still going to have impact, just less damage.

I get that.  If it really does, It'll save football.  My next question is, how much force does the brain impact need be to trigger CTE ?  And de acceleration is an issue with  CTE as well I believe.  You're hitting a guy at somewhere around 20 MPH, and you stop abruptly that's simply inertia.  The impact may be lessened/absorbed, but the brain's still moving at 20MPH as it collides with the inside of the skull ??  Not trying to be contrarian, but that issue still seems to be there.

I'd imagine the linemen will definitely benefit the most. Close contact hits without the speed element ??

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You're hitting a guy at somewhere around 20 MPH, and you stop abruptly that's simply inertia.  The impact may be lessened/absorbed, but the brain's still moving at 20MPH as it collides with the inside of the skull ??  Not trying to be contrarian, but that issue still seems to be there.

The brain is still moving at 20, but the foam slows the deceleration somewhat. Instead of it taking 0.001 second to stop, it goes to 0.005. (I pulled those numbers straight outa my ass) That.004 may seem minuscule, but it's enough to avoid concussion. That's the theory anyway.

Does anybody remember when they debuted the QB flack jacket and were hitting Dan Pastorini in his busted rib with a baseball bat at the press conference?

Edited by RPM

Just now, RPM said:

The brain is still moving at 20, but the foam slows the deceleration somewhat. Instead of it taking 0.001 second to stop, it goes to 0.005. (I pulled those numbers straight outa my ass) That.004 may seem minuscule, but it's enough to avoid concussion. That's the theory anyway.

OK, gotcha, thanks.  The what speed causes concussions has been my main question. If that does it, hala-fucking -looya !!  

On 7/1/2018 at 6:07 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I think the better question is what decelaration is associated with concusions.  CTE is caused by repeated concussions, AFAIK.

And I don't believe they have quantified that number.

It would take 20 years of putting the foam into helmets and then cutting open the heads of players who played in the nfl with those helmets before we'll have definite answers on any of this.

12 minutes ago, Surlybastard said:

It would take 20 years of putting the foam into helmets and then cutting open the heads of players who played in the nfl with those helmets before we'll have definite answers on any of this.

You'll probably also want to wait until those players die.

Exactly my response.

i’m imagining shoulder pads the size of epaulets, uniforms looking more like they did in the 1920’s.  Those would be some serious throw back uni’s.

ob-

Flip six 3 hole, right Diz?2653b57fe0695fd2750036ec7af33697.jpg

I don't know if this will work or not, but I've said for ages that technology is a far better solution than changing the game. Or they can just go back to leather helmets and skimp pads and pretty much eliminate 99% of using the head as a weapon.

I think the better question is what decelaration is associated with concusions.  CTE is caused by repeated concussions, AFAIK.
And I don't believe they have quantified that number.

I don’t think concussions are needed for CTE. Just repeated bashings, even small ones. I think I read that’s why linemen are particularly at risk. They rarely take a huge hit like a QB sack or WR over the middle so rarely get concussed, but their heads get knocked around every play. The “momentum” part is less of an issue. I bet this material would be best at turning these minor but repeated knocks into non-events (or greatly reduced) which I understand is thought to be worse for CTE than a few full blown concussions.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...