EPL 2023/24: Oil, Money and Power

Captain Ron

Posted (edited)

This will be the 10th time in 33 years of the Premier League era the title has gone to the final day, and the second place club has never overtaken the leader. So basically it's over, but at least there is some reason to tune in

Edited by Bartles
Cleaning up bad info

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

This will be the 10th time in 33 years of the Premier League era the title has gone to the final day, and the second place club has never overtaken the leader. So basically it's over, but at least there is some reason to tune in

Well one time the second place team coming into the final day finished their match in first place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

i'm not saying you need to get to Villa Park for a Champions League match next season, but you need to get your ass there.  

I've been to three EPL matches at Villa Park, but yeah... a Champions League match would be phenomenal.

/me starts plotting ways to get Mrs. Ramjet onboard.
  • Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well one time the second place team coming into the final day finished their match in first place. 

Actually no, according to the EPL itself. If you're thinking 2012, City led on goal differential going into the day but then were in major jeopardy of dropping points to QPR before the famous Aguero winner. So it seemed like they flipped it but technically not

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

Actually no, according to the EPL itself. If you're thinking 2012, City led on goal differential going into the day but then were in major jeopardy of dropping points to QPR before the famous Aguero winner. So it seemed like they flipped it but technically not

United's match ended about 30 seconds before Aguero's goal. Just saying that the live table at the moment United finished their match had them in first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/14/2024 at 7:47 PM, RamjetFDO said:

I've been to three EPL matches at Villa Park, but yeah... a Champions League match would be phenomenal.

/me starts plotting ways to get Mrs. Ramjet onboard.

tell her to talk to my wife about her hesitancy for the side trip to madrid a month ago from barcelona to catch the man city-real madrid champions league match at bernabeu and then how she felt about it after the experience.

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Ortega is a really good backup. 

Ederson may be better at distribution, but Ortega’s a better shot-stopper IMHO; Ederson doesn’t stop Son’s shot on Tuesday. 

On 5/14/2024 at 5:11 PM, Bartles said:

This will be the 10th time in 33 years of the Premier League era the title has gone to the final day, and the second place club has never overtaken the leader.

crazy fact

so city has:

the player of the year i the epl- phil foden

the actual best player this season- rodri 

the best midfielder on the planet- kdb

the second best striker (at worst) on the planet- haaland

the best manager on the planet- pep 

the most expensive squad on the planet 

four consecutive titles

six of the last seven epl titles

and 115 charges

that is so completely fucking stupid i don’t even know why any of us invest our time, energy, and hope into this league. if we promoted four teams this year and just banished city to go join the saudi league the epl would become 100x better overnight. fucking pointless.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

that is so completely fucking stupid i don’t even know why any of us invest our time, energy, and hope into this league. if we promoted four teams this year and just banished city to go join the saudi league the epl would become 100x better overnight. fucking pointless.

Oh well

Once again, for over a century, Southampton doesn't win the top tier league. If it wasn't City, it would be some other team.

How long has been for the team you support?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Oh well

Once again, for over a century, Southampton doesn't win the top tier league. If it wasn't City, it would be some other team.

How long has been for the team you support?

the last time my club (arsenal) won a title was my senior year of HS, and i had no idea who thierry henry was, or that arsenal even existed. my first season as a supporter was 2010-11, so this is easily the closest we’ve ever been to the title since i fell in love with the club. can’t wait to start the fight for second all over again three months from now.

Edited by definitely not derka

9 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

This post game trophy presentation is some straight up State sponsored media shit.  Embarrassing for NBC. 

Been going on for 5+ years. You’d think the Two Robbies podcast only sponsor is Abu Dhabi Tourism Board the way they white wash City’s charges. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/15/2024 at 8:25 PM, Huckleberry said:

United's match ended about 30 seconds before Aguero's goal. Just saying that the live table at the moment United finished their match had them in first. 

This is correct.

Anyone who disagrees is a low IQ poster and should look to post on Texags’ soccer thread going forward.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Well, the baton is officially passed to you now, Arsenal, to be the roadblock to the City machine. Liverpool might not be back in that position for a time. 

This. They were beatable this year. Arsenal had their chances to run them down and didn’t. Someone’s gotta do it. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

This. They were beatable this year. Arsenal had their chances to run them down and didn’t. Someone’s gotta do it. 

City won their last 9 games (which they seemingly do every year if they have to). You can’t run anyone down when they don’t drop points. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

City won their last 9 games (which they seemingly do every year if they have to). You can’t run anyone down when they don’t drop points. 

Arsenal also was leading the race until December. A bad stretch around the holidays let City get close. And the men that loss to Villa at home last month.