Favorite Character Actor

Gatorubet

19 hours ago, Incredulity said:

image.jpeg.b5819c3c7fd885e9838e1482d2df172e.jpeg

Philip Baker Hall

The owner of possibly the single greatest line in movies:

That's Robert Ridgley ("The Colonel"), a solid character actor in his own right, in the back ground suppressing a laugh to keep from breaking up the shot.  I guess Phillip Baker Hall had been coming up with these through out this shot and this was not only the best delivered, but one of the only ones where the entire cast and crew didn't descend into scene destroying laughter. 

• Haha 2

On 8/7/2023 at 5:46 PM, Kennythetiger said:

Is that for me, Dad?  
No, Son, that’s for me. 

And . . . Annnd . . . Linked reference - he was the friendly, world wise bartender to Dudley Moore in “10” as the oh so luscious Bo Derek sliw danced with her new husband, the Flash Gordon guy Sam whatsisname only with dark hair in 10. I always liked that bar. And Bo. Did I mention Bo?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, RPM said:

Edward Everett Horton. I was a big fan before I ever saw him in a movie. He was the storyteller on Fractured Fairy Tales.

Praise be to you, RPM, sir, for awakening this memory. Ahh, yes! The incredible voice of Edward Everett Horton was part of the soundtrack of my misspent youth. His voice, the wonderful music of vintage WB cartoons, and reading cover to cover my cousin’s old paperback anthologies of MAD magazine. 1959 seemed to last forever, the way summertime would stretch out forever when you bolted from class, the echo of the last bell ringing in your ears.

On 8/7/2023 at 5:46 PM, Kennythetiger said:

Is that for me, Dad?  
No, Son, that’s for me. 

Aside: I watched Tommy Boy as a 15 year old or something.  I understood they were making Bo Derek out to be a goddess in that movie but I absolutely couldn't see it.  Might as well have been looking at some wrinkled grandma.  Not attractive at all.  She was only 38.  Strange how you perceive age when you are young.

• 2 months later...