Game Day Experience 2023

Bullneck

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Was the car alarm sound effect after a turnover new? How about the semi in reverse for an opposing team's penalty?

This actually made me lol. Like y'all are getting trolled or The Powers That Be are 10 year-olds on Christmas day playing with their Mr. Microphone. 

• Haha 4

I've has season tickets for over 30 years, and went to games before that as a student.  I've sat in some brutally hot games in every section of the stadium.  Around 3 years ago I sacrificed sitting on the 45 in the west upper deck for sitting on the goal line under the west side deck in the shade.  Not as great a view but I had no issue in the heat on saturday..  When I die, y'all ought to look into trying to get my seats in section 9.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

This actually made me lol. Like y'all are getting trolled or The Powers That Be are 10 year-olds on Christmas day playing with their Mr. Microphone. 

Now there's a modern reference that will resonate with the kids

For the lulz 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I guess AC/DC is the unofficial State of Texas sports motivational music provider.  If we import anything else from Australia can it be one of those Kangaroo Jack School of Punting guys?

image.thumb.png.632869e6f2ffc3c3a806f75b357a895b.png

And, THAT, folks is why they're Texas Tech.

3 hours ago, Zone Read said:

I've has season tickets for over 30 years, and went to games before that as a student.  I've sat in some brutally hot games in every section of the stadium.  Around 3 years ago I sacrificed sitting on the 45 in the west upper deck for sitting on the goal line under the west side deck in the shade.  Not as great a view but I had no issue in the heat on saturday..  When I die, y'all ought to look into trying to get my seats in section 9.

be sure to give us a heads up, and post pics of the soon the widower 

thanks 

4 hours ago, blacklab said:

Almost forgot about Bob Cole.

STFU dipshit. If our offense is on the field, and the QB is yelling to the team, STFU. Nobody fucking cares that it's 2nd and 2 and Jim Bob Smith from Rice made the tackle.

Pregame was so fucking cringy with him yelling Texas-Fight at the wrong times and yelling it like he was Sam Kinison.  

I wish this would happen to Bob Cole so he could shut the fuck up and let us watch the damn game. 

IMG_2061.gif.0ddf92b0b2bf6df26bc797f3e38e1fc7.gif

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

They think we need this. Maybe we do, but its bullshit. Not every game needs to be 10/10.

We do not.  All we need is a guy who occasionally says "Quarter".  Maybe tells you who made the play.

I was in the band in the 1980s.  During one of my first times on the field, we had some hold for some random recognitions.  They were delayed and we were just standing out there and it was pretty quiet.

And suddenly you could hear some students trying to get stadium yell going behind us.  At first not much and then the other side started up and it got stronger.  And it was way out of sync for a few seconds.  Then it got going and it got LOUD.  It was so cool to hear it on the field in this wacky not quite synced up stereo effect.

No one said "Hey everyone we are going to yell Texas Fight now so let's get it started!"

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

I said it in post 5.

I tweeted it at DelConte during the game.

I responded to the season ticket holder survey.

Bob Cole is an unmitigated embarrassment and needs to be kill….I mean….fired.

I’ve resorted to relying on fate and the odds that I’ll outlive him. Or, worst case, I die first and never have to listen to him again (assuming of course I don’t go to Hell…wait…ah fuck!)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

The fact that none of us saw fit to slit Bob Cole’s throat (to remove his vocal chords, not actually kill him) over the off season means we are all pussies. Me included.

Yeah it's brutal. Just brutal. "Rice has the ball, and it's third and TEN!!!" "That's ANOTHER Texas first down!!!!".

JFC. Fuck that guy. Nobody likes that fucker's god awful announcing style. Whose compromising photos does he have?

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

We never get a replay on second down when on defense if the play results in a third down coming up as they play a stupid cartoon instead. 

It was fucking hot. All contracts have clauses. Someone needs to see what the penalty is for moving the game to 7 and stroke a check. 

All of this. I'd look up for a replay of that awesome play and get some stupid shit instead, and yeah, fuck midday games in Texas in August or September. That's some stupid shit, and the money we'd lose by making it a night game simply can't be that big of a deal for the University of Texas.

11 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Memo to self: TX/OU game only from now on.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am.

11 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

That was a really really bad idea. There was no breeze at the time and that shit lingered forever. 

I'd be willing to bet that is a 1 and done. Sark was apparently not a fan

Yeah it became a problem in F1 the last couple of years as fans in the stands were lighting off a shit ton of orange flares in support of the reigning champ, Max Verstappen. It got to be such a nuissance and a safety hazard for the fans that they cracked down on them. But for some reason we thought it was a good idea.

• Hook 'Em 1

All this Bob Cole hate warms my heart. I chose my username upon registering on Hornfans almost 20 years ago. I was trying to think of a creative username, but when the tv picked up some of his annoying banter, I said, “Forget clever, I miss Wally Pryor.”

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

All this Bob Cole hate warms my heart. I chose my username upon registering on Hornfans almost 20 years ago. I was trying to think of a creative username, but when the tv picked up some of his annoying banter, I said, “Forget clever, I Wally Pryor.”

Yeah I'm pretty sure Wally would kick Bob's teeth in over the traveshamockery he's made of that once-proud announcing position.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

All this Bob Cole hate warms my heart. I chose my username upon registering on Hornfans almost 20 years ago. I was trying to think of a creative username, but when the tv picked up some of his annoying banter, I said, “Forget clever, I Wally Pryor.”

got to let go of stuff, he’s never coming back

😂😂😂😂

• Rage+1 1

I went to a great Friday night Texas/OU party up somewhere in North Dallas back in the day. 

The hosts of the party had "won" the bartending services of Wally Pryor for that evening's party at a Texas Exes fundraising event. 

Wally was a blast, but I'm guessing that most of the drinks he mixed were his own!

• Haha 1

So, I just try to tune out Bob Cole so maybe I don't notice his idiocy as much but, out of curiosity, what do the announcers sound like at other CFB stadiums?  Anyone know?  After witnessing things like Grant Teaff's "going away party" and the 1994 Rice game, I'm fine not going to road games (save for my 2-0 Rose Bowl record and a few other Bowl games)

I’ve probably been to 20 home games the past 6-7 years and I’ve never even noticed the game announcer (good or bad). 
My only “complaint” would have been the Jumbotron volume for TCU game last year being at a ridiculous level to make up for the uninspired crowd I guess (no offensive TDs will do that). 

Football game at 2:30 on September 2 is not enjoyable. In equally shocking news, I heard the sun rose in the east this morning. Just a rumor though.

Hopefully getting away from FOX will nix the early season day games going forward - ULM, Bama, and Rice were all FOX. But as was mentioned in OP, profit > people and if you want the AD to do something about it then I hope you like being disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I first met Bob Cole when I was a bartender at the Silver Dollar South my freshman year at UT. He was obese then, but was losing weight as the spokesman for some weight loss program. He also won CMA DJ Of The Year that year before leaving Austin for a short-lived gig back east (Baltimore/DC area, iirc). He was (probably still is) actually a nice guy, but his UT role is annoying beyond non-vulgar description. I have to hand it to him for keeping his weight down for 40+ years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, texasdago said:

So, I just try to tune out Bob Cole so maybe I don't notice his idiocy as much but, out of curiosity, what do the announcers sound like at other CFB stadiums?  Anyone know?  After witnessing things like Grant Teaff's "going away party" and the 1994 Rice game, I'm fine not going to road games (save for my 2-0 Rose Bowl record and a few other Bowl games)

A lot of other stadiums have WWE style bullshit announcers.  But this is Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

I first met Bob Cole when I was a bartender at the Silver Dollar South my freshman year at UT. He was obese then, but was losing weight as the spokesman for some weight loss program. He also won CMA DJ Of The Year that year before leaving Austin for a short-lived gig back east (Baltimore/DC area, iirc). He was (probably still is) actually a nice guy, but his UT role is annoying beyond non-vulgar description. I have to hand it to him for keeping his weight down for 40+ years. 

I mean, if no other username ever checked out, at least we’ve got this one…

51 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

has anyone ever seen you and bob cole in the same room ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing significantly better or worse than last year from our westside, lower level perspective. Heat and opponent kept the crowd level somewhere below sell-out, which I’m sure helped create a sort of soft opening for vendors, staffers, and heat stroke first responders.
One noteworthy takeaway was an apparent beta test for a new pump-up gimmick, ala Wisconsin’s Jump AroundThunderstruck to start the 4th Quarter, complete with orange smoke, pyrotechnics, and LED light show (just pretend that part wasn’t pointless at 5pm). But amazingly, there was no announcement or cheesy “stand up and clap your hands!” bullshit and no sponsor content on the video board, as lamented with prior attempts in the Game Week thread. I’m cautiously optimistic this could be badass.

There was sponsored content on the video board… The 100 year old guy selling furniture and yelling for people to get loud and rowdy.

Jumbotron was damn loud.

I want a replay of every play. This fell way short.

The band, Pom, cheer seem non-existent.

Tv commercials were pretty much all 2:35. I don’t know if that’s a network thing but better than the occasional 3:55 or whatever that had started to happen in prior years.

Halftimes can be cut down to 15 minutes.

It took them until the second half to lead a Texas Fight chant (not counting the pregame chant.) By then the east side was half empty.

3 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

I mean, if no other username ever checked out, at least we’ve got this one…

I posted up my Wally Pryor CSB on the Bill Little thread a couple of weeks ago, but I just thought of another Wally gem that has not been mentioned.

Fall of 1988 early November game against U of H fighting run and shoot cougars.

Houston was blowing our doors off and the final score  was something like U H 66 Texas 13.

Late in the game the crowd was mostly gone and Houston had just scored another touchdown on our hapless D. 

Houston trots out for the PAT...and Wall's words: " ..and it's.....bueno"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2