Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

I don't know anything about any people or names or likes regarding this case.  I trust the leaders of our state to make necessary decisions regarding Mr. Paxton.  Whatever happens after that is in God's hands.  Once this trial is over, we're scrubbing this thread and all other mentions of Paxton and his associates.  Trust me, it's for the best.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

How are either of these attorneys the least bit successful?

Man, that's what's going through my mind. This is the AG of Texas and the best he gets are these guys? I'm still listening to not Buzbee and I'm still lost on what he's actually saying.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Was this guy a really good lawyer 80 years ago?   Because he's lost ball in tall weeds now.

You are grading by the wrong criteria.  You are considering facts, evidence, and logic as relevant criteria.  You are wrong.  In MAGA-land, this is the only standard:

giphy.gif

I'm dead serious.  Complain, counter-accuse, lie, and do so vehemently while pounding the table.  The GQP base eats it all up.  And they are the only audience that matters: every vote in the Senate that counts is looking to see how THAT group is responding to the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Can't wait till Buzbee brings out the pics of the Paxtons shopping for countertops at Home Depot.  

That will be some compelling, unassailable evidence!

He made the point that there are a lot of them. The entire impeachment defense seems to hinge on the Paxton's Sunday afternoon trip to Home Depot to look at granite colors.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My first thought when I heard about all of the pics of the Paxtons shopping at Home Depot was "Who the hell takes pics of themselves shopping at Home Depot, aside from people who think they might come in handy for a later impeachment proceeding?"

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

There's a very good chance there's something in the picture that proves it was taken last week and it takes people on the internet half a day to figure it out.

277997aa-7e6d-43cf-b7ed-cad91110a1b3_tex

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm dead serious.  Complain, counter-accuse, lie, and do so vehemently while pounding the table.  The GQP base eats it all up.  And they are the only audience that matters: every vote in the Senate that counts is looking to see how THAT group is responding to the case.

Spent the weekend with some R friends and they were universally anti-Paxton. Each of them said they have mostly always agreed with his politics (forcing me to struggle mightily not to derail the conversation), but said this was just too much and he should be removed. Plus, they were all Westlake grads and two of them had been friends with Nate Paul back in the day. Not sure if that changes the dynamic one way or the other, but I thought it was an interesting side note. 

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Pitter patter, let's get at 'er.

They don't want to.  Because if they make progress, then comes the reckoning, one way or the other.  And nobody wants that.

Here's what GOLL and I think the play is:

1) the Dan Patrick senate puts on the trial, and let it go for a few days, with it hard to read how it's going to go.

2) the Phelan GOP house starts to get antsy about whether they're going to get a conviction or not.  If they don't, then there's an irreconcilable divide between the Senate and house.  Shit will get really bad if that happens.

3) after letting the Phelan GOP house sweat it out for a while, Patrick approaches them with a deal: I'll get you the votes on conviction.....IF you get in line when Abbott calls the next special session, and y'all support his school choice plan. 

4) the house takes that deal.

5) Patrick tells Paxton's team that a deal has been struck.  He's got the votes to convict (and he names names, so Paxton can confirm).  Now is the time to resign, one last chance.

6) no idea of Paxton resigns or not.  If he doesn't, Patrick follows through, and the Senate convicts.

ALTERNATIVE path:

At step 4) the house rejects the deal, and Patrick tanks the prosecution, and assures that Paxton continues in office.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

They don't want to.  Because if they make progress, then comes the reckoning, one way or the other.  And nobody wants that.

Here's what GOLL and I think the play is:

1) the Dan Patrick senate puts on the trial, and let it go for a few days, with it hard to read how it's going to go.

2) the Phelan GOP house starts to get antsy about whether they're going to get a conviction or not.  If they don't, then there's an irreconcilable divide between the Senate and house.  Shit will get really bad if that happens.

3) after letting the Phelan GOP house sweat it out for a while, Patrick approaches them with a deal: I'll get you the votes on conviction.....IF you get in line when Abbott calls the next special session, and y'all support his school choice plan. 

4) the house takes that deal.

5) Patrick tells Paxton's team that a deal has been struck.  He's got the votes to convict (and he names names, so Paxton can confirm).  Now is the time to resign, one last chance.

6) no idea of Paxton resigns or not.  If he doesn't, Patrick follows through, and the Senate convicts.

ALTERNATIVE path:

At step 4) the house rejects the deal, and Patrick tanks the prosecution, and assures that Paxton continues in office.

how would it affect the criminal trials

17 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

whatever it takes to get people to turn off the livefeed. That's the objective.

Even Buzbee looking like a oompa loompa helps distract about the facts surrounding Paxton.

C-SPAN shut it down about an hour ago.