Someone fucked up a block, we can’t figure out who

Longhornlove

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If a guy is standing around looking then decides to block the backside of his own teammate then it is safe to assume it's that guy.

11 was lost in the wash and not in a position to make a play 

Because a Rice player sucks and is slow to react isn't justification for a play design. Any competent LB in that position would be untouched to the ball carrier trough the B gap (a LB's dream) if the play was designed to go left.

Again, that is one aspect of the play design, although a large one. We also would not be combo-ing on the backside (right-side) if this was designed to go left.

And LOL to whoever mentioned the shadow on the far left side in the last screen shot. The ball has been snapped and that guy is not in the frame... he is irrelevant in the play.

AD sucked on this play and made a poor/lazy effort. Helm also blocked air (Bank's back)... the fact is two players made lazy or bonehead plays on the backside of the play and the defender who should have had the lowest probability of making the play did, in fact, make the play.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Fico said:

Because a Rice player sucks and is slow to react isn't justification for a play design. Any competent LB in that position would be untouched to the ball carrier trough the B gap (a LB's dream) if the play was designed to go left.

Again, that is one aspect of the play design, although a large one. We also would not be combo-ing on the backside (right-side) if this was designed to go left.

And LOL to whoever mentioned the shadow on the far left side in the last screen shot. The ball has been snapped and that guy is not in the frame... he is irrelevant in the play.

AD sucked on this play and made a poor/lazy effort. Helm also blocked air (Bank's back)... the fact is two players made lazy or bonehead plays on the backside of the play and the defender who should have had the lowest probability of making the play did, in fact, make the play.

By the time that linebacker gets there if the play is blocked correctly and Helm doesn't blow his assignment it is a 1st down and we're not having this discussion.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Fico said:

AD need to take one step to the right at the snap and his "block" would have been sufficient. He is back side, and really only has a rule of not letting the end man cross his face. It was a piss poor effort. Helm should have also been able to get a hand on this guy.

The play should be starting left and bending back right between Sanders kickout block and the combo on the right side.

Backside penetration should have never killed this play. Even if AD doesn't make contact and simply steps right at the snap he is literally in the way enough for this play to gain a first down.

You are right, and there were a ton of "if this one guy just would've done his job" plays on sat. Take this play for example. We run a jet sweep and Baxter is out front. He runs by the only guy who is a threat for 20 yards. X could've housed this if Baxter picks up #25(or 26). We were closer than people think to busting a few but someone new didn't do what they were supposed to do. Mitchell was the culprit a couple times, but many others had a hand in it too.

1.thumb.png.62ff89c3044c5cdd40c8d0a5d441ea7f.png

2.thumb.png.08362fd12f40e052b595235b68a7e944.png

3.thumb.png.c966c8bfcf311607efc628a40e40e4f1.png

4.thumb.png.b10d4b7ee1db4beb5ce8ff8fdf389add.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

No way, I just rewatched it an Worthy's foot lands at least a foot out of bounds, not even close.

What's worse is he had his man beat by 2 yards running about 3 yards from the sideline.  So, not only does Worthy have to wait for the ball, but Quinn threw him outside.  

There was no safety help, so Quinn should have lead him inside.  It was simply a horrible throw.

In fact, the only decent ball he threw over 25 yards was the one to Sanders that JW broke up in the endzone.  

Looks like 3 or 4 of them were catchable and would have been caught if not defended well. 6 deep pass attempts doesn't seem like a ton over the course of 4 quarters, but people here are acting like Sark 2-3 times per series. I'm more concerned with our O-Line than than the deep ball mishaps 

By the time that linebacker gets there if the play is blocked correctly and Helm doesn't blow his assignment it is a 1st down and we're not having this discussion.

Not if we are playing anyone better than Rice.  There literally isn't a faster path to the RB with the ball for that LB.

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

image.thumb.png.898eb589cbf90670a3834f3b8a1badd0.png

That is either a 1st down or if Brooks makes a defender miss it's a touchdown. All 11 Rice defenders are within 7 yards of the LOS

AD chips the guuy who shoots gap, then blocks out on the corner then it's 1 on 1 with the safety for brooks. Linebacker is 100% lost in wash and it would have to be one of the best linebackers in the country to stop this play for a loss or no gain.

This play was completely fucked because 1 guy, Helm.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean this is just a ridiculous statement. They were only there for two years and inherited an offense almost entirely consisting of 1st and 2nd round guys.  They were coaching one of the most talented offenses in CFB history. Anyone could have had success with that offensive roster they inherited.  Their time at Alabama doesn’t prove they can evaluate, coach and develop. 

Counterpoints:

• Texas has regularly had talent on both sides of the roster, albeit not as much as Bama, that produced shit-tastic performance despite said talent. If any fanbase can admit high-level talent can be squandered, it's us. Some credit (even if partial) has to be given for getting on-field results from the talent you have to work with.
  • Sark (offense / play calling / QB development) and Flood (OL) both have significant skins on their resume even if you net out their Bama years.

16 minutes ago, Fico said:

On the left side our 1 on 1 is with an extra blocking surface and WR to help. I don't feel like that is a winning combo for us. Additionally, if it was to got to to the left somebody would be combo-ing to that LB #11.... no one is.  And if the play was designed to go left... then AD definitively should have been getting a body on someone (Helm as well).

You can clearly see the gap on the right between Sanders and the Campbell/Jones combo block. Brook's first steps create a left flow creating angles for the combo block(s) and an angle for the running lane in the C gap on the right side.

We wouldn't combo the backside LB and leave the middle guy unblocked.... that is a waste of a body, especially in short yardage.

Imagine having our stable of backs and Oline and getting this cute with a 4th and 1 play call. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Fico said:

nd LOL to whoever mentioned the shadow on the far left side in the last screen shot. The ball has been snapped and that guy is not in the frame... he is irrelevant in the play.

Read what I posted about, you are taking what I said out of context completely. And what I said is absolute fact. Splitting AD out won't change the defensive alignment and that safety coming off the edge but it would have made it very clear that Helm was responsible for that guy and not AD.

Edited by Longhornlove
  • Like 1

I wouldn't even say the play call is cute...it is a simple play.... like Day 1 install simple and targeting our supposed best run blockers (Campbell and Jones). This should have been an easy conversion.

In any instance, the #1 rule in blocking anyone, is nobody crosses your face.

If AD or Helm would have literally took one step right, or, in Helm's case, stood still this play works.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Counterpoints:

• Texas has regularly had talent on both sides of the roster, albeit not as much as Bama, that produced shit-tastic performance despite said talent. If any fanbase can admit high-level talent can be squandered, it's us. Some credit (even if partial) has to be given for getting on-field results from the talent you have to work with.
  • Sark (offense / play calling / QB development) and Flood (OL) both have significant skins on their resume even if you net out their Bama years.

Bill O'Brien

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine having our stable of backs and Oline and getting this cute with a 4th and 1 play call. 

This right here.  Rice had an actual 4th down play design.  I know this cause they ran it at least three times and converted at least twice,  on the exact same play out of the exact same formation.  Bunch formation,  qb under-center,  three backs behind him.  Worked for Tom Brady - should work for us.  

3 minutes ago, Fico said:

I wouldn't even say the play call is cute...it is a simple play.... like Day 1 install simple and targeting our supposed best run blockers (Campbell and Jones). This should have been an easy conversion.

In any instance, the #1 rule in blocking anyone, is nobody crosses your face.

If AD or Helm would have literally took one step right, or, in Helm's case, stood still this play works.

IDK why you are blaming right side of line. Just blame Helm and move the fuck on. It's obvious it was him that fucked up, even the broadcast said he looked confused. Play design was to the left anyway.

1 minute ago, TheAuditor said:

This right here.  Rice had an actual 4th down play design.  I know this cause they ran it at least three times and converted at least twice,  on the exact same play out of the exact same formation.  Bunch formation,  qb under-center,  three backs behind him.  Worked for Tom Brady - should work for us.  

Rice was 1 of 2 on 4th down. 

IDK why you are blaming right side of line. Just blame Helm and move the fuck on. It's obvious it was him that fucked up, even the broadcast said he looked confused. Play design was to the left anyway.

Nobody is blaming the right side of the line dufus. And you can beat your left hand play design all you want... that isn't where the play was designed or ever going.

1 minute ago, Fico said:

Nobody is blaming the right side of the line dufus. And you can beat your left hand play design all you want... that isn't where the play was designed or ever going.

Yeah because they designed that play to run to the side of the formation with the most defenders.  It 100% was designed to go left. The only reason that Brooks turned it back inside was because of the defender Helm didn't block. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah because they designed that play to run to the side of the formation with the most defenders.  It 100% was designed to go left. The only reason that Brooks turned it back inside was because of the defender Helm didn't block. 

Play is designed to go behind the trio of Majors, Campbell, and Jones. Combo block is the tell.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Just before snap

image.thumb.png.e7b7508f9b845370124feab49480fc16.png

Should have been assignments:

image.thumb.png.f472b8221a8d687bfff48681d7d9fb8d.png

Gap is show immediately and you can see Mitchell gets a should on him but there is no way he could possibly get in front of him due to alignment of the defender.

There is no reason gunner helm should be double teaming this linebacker. The play should be a 1 on 1 with the CB with mitchell working to the safety.

image.thumb.png.9a8144acbf03f85036b95b332ac5c48a.png

image.thumb.png.eb07c76428e9f24dd87ea367efb54877.png

Appreciate the explanation. I’m blocking assignment ignorant and assumed that was mitchel’s man.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Mitchell should have done a lot more on that play, but I’m not sure why we’re running out of a tight formation with WRs in the game on 4 and 1.  Having players in the game who are poor blockers, and not lining them up wide enough to take their defender out of the play, but still leaving just enough gap for their defender to get inside leverage on them, is pretty much the worst formation possible for a short yardage run.  There is a reason most jumbo formations don’t have slightly offset slot WRs as part of the plan.  Either spread it out or line up really tight with big people side by side.

Maybe we will use the same formation with a different call against Bama.

5 minutes ago, cafe society said:

So either Saban coaches every position or he makes smart hires.  Other than Sark, Flood, Banks and Milwee.  Those guys are all jags.

I'm not necessarily saying they are bad coaches. Just saying that their two whole years with a loaded Bama team doesn't mean that the issues at hand aren't rooted in coaching, be that teaching, personnel decisions, and/or play calling.

50 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Have you considered that maybe Bama was pretty good before they got there?

I've also considered we are just fucking cursed.

17 minutes ago, cafe society said:

So either Saban coaches every position or he makes smart hires.  Other than Sark, Flood, Banks and Milwee.  Those guys are all jags.

Also this

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I'm not necessarily saying they are bad coaches. Just saying that their two whole years with a loaded Bama team doesn't mean that the issues at hand aren't rooted in coaching, be that teaching, personnel decisions, and/or play calling.

You could be right.  We need to see a massive righting of the O line ship ASAP and Ewers needs to impress.  Regardless, Sark and his staff are the option for the rest of this season, AT MINIMUM.  I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt at this stage.  It's game 1 of year 3.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Mac Jones thinks pretty highly of Sark's abilities.  

I thought this was going to be a thread about that one play where Banks gave up a sack.

He was blocking, blocking, blocking the defender and then suddenly just stops blocking and lets the defender through for the sack.
Has this been discussed anywhere?  I think it was his second allowed sack in his short career?

It was so sudden that he let the defender though that I was wondering if Ewers stole his breakfast sammich that morning or something.

Edited by ATXbronco
  • Hook 'Em 1

I thought this was going to be a thread about that one play where Banks gave up a sack.
He was blocking, blocking, blocking the defender and then suddenly just stops blocking and lets the defender through for the sack.
Has this been discussed anywhere?  I think it was his second allowed sack in his short career?

It was so sudden that he let the defender though that I was wondering if Ewers stole his breakfast sammich that morning or something.

Hayden Connor should have been there to pick up the DL on the inside move. It was a nice move, but only there because Connor abdicated his assignment to turn his back and help in the opposite A gap.

Banks was did what he is coached to do, kept his head up, maintained his gap, and let Connor pick him up

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Just as a thread refresher, why do we care who fucked up the blocking assignment?

This isn't about that. It's about a failed 4th and 1 

Just now, ousux said:

I would say I've never seen so many panties in a twist after a win, but this is shag/surly after all.

You shut your whore mouth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1