2023 Houston Texans thread

Macklemore

19 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Shitty weather for tomorrow’s game. Will be interesting to see how CJ responds. Rain and wind doesn’t seem to really suit our offensive scheme. 

If only he had played in the Big 10 to get an idea of playing in cold and shitty weather.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

If only he had played in the Big 10 to get an idea of playing in cold and shitty weather.

Last year’s game against Northwestern had similar conditions to today’s forecast. He went 10/27 for 76 yards. However he did rush for 79 yards, more than half of which came on 1 play. 

• Rage+1 1

My stepbrother has a contract with the Texans; last week, on the spur of the moment, they asked if he wanted to fly to New York and back on the team plane and sit with ownership during the game. He texted me a selfie from the stadium with one word. Ouch.

I went into the wrong business, that guy gets paid to fly around the country on private jets, and go to all kinds of concerts and events.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well that sucked, glad i missed watching this one. Again, this year is already an overachievement for the team compared to where anyone thought they would be.  They have plenty of opportunities to improve in the off-season and be a division favorite next year, and hopefully for the next decade. Let's hope the competitive play this year attracts some free agents that can make the difference, because Houston should have a lot of cap space to burn. 

4 hours ago, Ignatius said:

We absolutely, 100% need to add to the talent level at WR, especially if Shultz doesn’t re-sign. I’d love to grab Michael Pittman if he can be had in the 18MM vs the 23MM range…

It would be criminal negligence to let Schultz walk. 

Offense is cheeks without Schultz and especially without Dell. 

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t feel good about the playoffs as of today. 

Texans have been without a WR1 since they traded Hopkins. Cooks is a #2, Woods was a #2 but lost a step or three. Nico has had a few good games, but he’s had many more disappointing no-show games and is a #3 type. Noah Brown has had some games too and would be a respectable WR4, even pushing Nico for WR3 (especially if Nico thinks he should get paid in a year). Tank has been awesome and could be a badass #2 in the Reggie Wayne role, but we need to go get a Marvin Harrison type WR1.

Schultz was great when healthy. Great value on a one year deal. If you are an Astros/analytics fan, you have to question the wisdom of handing out a multi-year contract near the top of his position pay to a TE though.

I guess if the plan is go all-in during the next 4 years of Stroud’s rookie deal (5 more years if they franchise tag him rather than extend him early, which won’t happen), then you go Rams style and grab (overpay) as many playmakers at WR, TE, DL, and DB as possible. The cycle keeps repeating with most star QBs. Draft a star QB, if you have a very good team around him you can go to the Super Bowl. Once he gets into his $50m/yr contract, the talent surrounding him drops and the team is less competitive. Cowboys lost a lot of players after Dak’s extension and had a dip. Chiefs had to lose Tyreek and defense players, and they are all on Mahomes’s shoulders with a fighter’s chance. The Bills are starting to decay. Bengals and Chargers are approaching that time as their young QBs’ contracts start impacting the cap. We’ll see how the Eagles do, since they seem to have drafted well plus had extra picks from good trades.

That is not an advantage for the Texans, who burned #1’s on Stingley and hurt aggy, then overpaid AZ for Anderson’s pick. They need to hit on their picks and free agent signings if they want to win playoff games, and my faith in Caserio is still low. Demeco and staff have been mostly awesome though

43 minutes ago, Fud said:

With the obscene amount of injuries this team has seen this year, you have to wonder about the team's S&C, nutrition, recovery regimen, and practice habits

Agreed. Texans need to reevaluate everything they do with regard to training camp, practices, their training staff, doctors, physical therapy, etc. They need to move training back to West Virginia or have it in California like the Cowboys. Texans came out of camp with a ridiculous amount of injuries and it has been a weight around our neck all season. This team plays its home games in a controlled environment but subjects its players to the oppressive heat and humidity for training camp and practices. There is no logical reason why we do that. 

Cal needs to spend money on a good practice facility with multiple indoor fields. We have a crappy bubble that’s been there since the beginning. Take a look at what the Colts and Jets have in comparison.

TexansTalk.com has a poster named CloakNNNDagger who is an orthopedist and is probably the most informative poster on any message board I frequent. This guy in his posts will give a full on medical prognosis for injuries and for 20+ years now has consistently been more accurate than the Texans’ medical team. Most famously, he said that Schaub was shot after his Lisfranc injury in 2011. Instead of moving on and signing Peyton, who wanted to come to Houston, we re-signed Schaub which was a disaster that closed the window of a very talented team. CloakNNNDagger has said from day 1 that the Texans team doctor is not the best. To me that’s inexcusable when you have your choice of the best doctors in the world just a few miles away from NRG. It’s time to clean house.

Edited by Macklemore

Texans should take a note from Jerry and build a top drawer practice facility like the Star. Partner with a school district to make part of it a high school arena. Partner with one of the top hospitals in Houston to build a hospital / clinic focused on something related like orthopedics or sports nutrition and health. Add in retail, condos, dining, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

This game made me reflect on the 2022 draft. It looked like the Jets whipped Caserio’s ass that night, but you have to wait and see. After nearly two full seasons, it still seems like the Jets kicked his ass. 

Original picks in first 3 rounds:

HOU - #3, #13 (from Browns/Watson), #37, #68, #75 (Browns) (4345 Jimmy Johnson points)

NYJ - #4, #10 (from SEA/Adams), #35, #38 (from Carolina/Darnold), #69 (4415 Jimmy Johnson points, pretty comparable)

Ended up with:

HOU - #3 Stingley, #15 Kenyon Green, #37 Pitre, #44 John Metchie, #75 Christian Harris and net lost a fourth and gained a fifth round pick

NYJ - #4 Sauce, #10 Garrett Wilson, #26 Jermaine Johnson, #36 Breece Hall, #101 TE Jeremy Ruckert and lost 2 fifths

Oof

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

but we need to go get a Marvin Harrison type WR1

The Hall Of Famer Marvin Harrison or his kid who’s going to be one of 2-3 WRs in the last 20 years to be drafted in the top 3? Pretty sure every team in the NFL feels like they could use a dude like either one…