This team is scary good

ztejas

16 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, but like Deion said we keep receipts!!!

Now we got dudes, and dudes lined up behind those dudes. And the dudes who are out there are teaching the dudes behind them how shit is supposed to be. We are recruiting to fill holes, and getting guys from the portal. Sark has the train rolling and we are shoveling fresh coal in the burner every couple minutes. Dudes who were JAGs are being molded into dudes, and guys who we thought shouldn't ever see the field, and actually serviceable. Case in point one Jett Bush. There is coaching happening. Both sides of the ball are competent in regards to playcalling. All we need now is consistency and health. Feels good.

the-dudes.gif.5ee74a9dba8cea0bb6e3cfce6f86c987.gif

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Average NFLer. You know since I said given their draft positions. He was probably above average in the NFL but did not produce anywhere near a top 5 pick.

If you legit think Bama scores 0, then I guess it makes sense that’d be their only shutout.

Jesus.

I mean Hawk was never a superstar in the NFL but he played 11 years and is the Packers all time leading tackler. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Is Jett Bush a good example though? I mean, isn’t he playing a different position and having different responsibilities?

This week we played a lot of 4-3 and Bush was lined up at LB. Is he good? Not particularly, but guess what? You didn't notice him because he wasn't doing the shit he used to do to get you to notice him.

• Like 1

This week we played a lot of 4-3 and Bush was lined up at LB. Is he good? Not particularly, but guess what? You didn't notice him because he wasn't doing the shit he used to do to get you to notice him.

He’s basically doing the same shit. Biggest difference is he is more mature and everyone on the team is doing their job better. Unless you’re going back to his DE days, which he was there due to more factors outside of his control.

Can the outside skill players start a new SCARY GOOD trend?

Wear your mouthpiece or just don't wear it, but stop having the big giant mouthpiece attached to facemask hanging down all the time.

I'd suggest wearing the mouthpiece and breathing though the nose. Much more efficient and healthy to nose breathe. Only thing it disrupts slightly is communication I guess.

7 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Can the outside skill players start a new SCARY GOOD trend?

Wear your mouthpiece or just don't wear it, but stop having the big giant mouthpiece attached to facemask hanging down all the time.

I'd suggest wearing the mouthpiece and breathing though the nose. Much more efficient and healthy to nose breathe. Only thing it disrupts slightly is communication I guess.

One of the Colorado WR's wears two of those big ass mouth pieces on his helmet. Looks so stupid.

But from what I remember of that style of mouth piece is there are two holes that allow you to breath through your mouth anyway.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

He’s basically doing the same shit. Biggest difference is he is more mature and everyone on the team is doing their job better. Unless you’re going back to his DE days, which he was there due to more factors outside of his control.

Bush was a wild man a couple years ago. Overrunning everything. Seemingly never in the right place. Now he is upgraded to Jag. Good enough to spell guys without anyone noticing he is even playing. Much better than what he was before.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2023 at 2:15 AM, SpiralOut said:

So in last year's draft alone, three dudes at wideout ran 4.2 times.  TWELVE dudes ran under 4.4.  So speed is not something that is lacking in the WR department when you go to draft a player.  How is that so difficult for you to understand?

Like look, man, you're arguing that Worthy isn't special because he might be 1/12 of the dudes that run a sub-4.4 or even 1/3 of the dudes that run a sub-4.2. Maybe sit down, have a beer or two, and meditate on that argument quietly, man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Zeus said:

Banks ripped off Kool-Aid's mouthpiece and got called for holding

image.png.9e6738abf56fb8d5f15c8cbbec06f0b6.png

Is it just me or are there a shit ton of guys this year running around with their mouthpieces swinging off their facemask?  Like at least double the normal amount

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2023 at 1:10 PM, Park Gothic said:

Tough to see Sanders go in the first. TE just isn't valued that highly and Brock Bowers will probably be the first TE off the board. Are there really two teams that are going to burn a R1 pick on a TE?

I don’t get why people do this. There are mock drafts out there. They are pretty accurate. About half of them have Sanders in the 1st round. Sam Laporta’s success can only help this trend of receiving TEs going high. Lions got him at #34 and he leads all TEs in receiving yards and is in top 30 overall.  It’s not tough at all seeing him go in the 1st.  

On 9/24/2023 at 10:34 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

I’d take the current receivers. Sanders is a bad ass at TE, but Thomas would also feast in this offense, imo.

2005 Texas -17 or so, imo. 

Are you high?  Vince is worth 14 by himself.  Then the Dbacks on the 05 team are worth another 10.   David Thomas is probably worth another 7.  I say the 05 team by 31. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

Are you high?  Vince is worth 14 by himself.  Then the Dbacks on the 05 team are worth another 10.   David Thomas is probably worth another 7.  I say the 05 team by 31. 

This team is better than 2005 Missouri (7-5), who Texas beat by 31.

Maybe you were attempting humor and I just missed it, though. 

9 hours ago, JGrayDBU said:

So...you're saying 2005 versus 2023 is just bad matchups or what?

I'm having a difficult time believing 2023 Texas isn't way better than 2005 Missouri (-31), would be a toss-up with 2005 Tceh (-35), and would likely lose to 2005 CU (-25), 2005 Okie Lite (-19), and 2005 aggy (-11).

With the 2005 schedule, I'd say 2023 Texas is 10-1, maybe 9-2. 2023 Texas is faster and quicker than 2005 Texas (yes, they are and I would take Brooks over any 2005 RB except Jamaal Charles, and I would take Worthy-Whittington-Mitchell over sophomore Limas-sophomore Billy Pittman-freshman Jordan-freshman Quan) and that would keep them within two TDs. Take VY out and 2023 barely beats 2005, but you're right that VY is worth +14 by himself...so I say final score would be 35-24. The real hypothetical question in my mind is if you add Bijan back to this team, would anyone be able to stay within 3 TDs this season? I think no.

I'm not trying to say 2023 Texas is scary good, but they're pretty fucking good and 2005 tOSU is a good example of a team that was pretty fucking good (and finished #4, having lost only to the eventual National Champions and a horribly underrated Penn State team).

So...you're saying 2005 versus 2023 is just bad matchups or what?
I'm having a difficult time believing 2023 Texas isn't way better than 2005 Missouri (-31), would be a toss-up with 2005 Tceh (-35), and would likely lose to 2005 CU (-25), 2005 Okie Lite (-19), and 2005 aggy (-11).
With the 2005 schedule, I'd say 2023 Texas is 10-1, maybe 9-2. 2023 Texas is faster and quicker than 2005 Texas (yes, they are and I would take Brooks over any 2005 RB except Jamaal Charles, and I would take Worthy-Whittington-Mitchell over sophomore Limas-sophomore Billy Pittman-freshman Jordan-freshman Quan) and that would keep them within two TDs. Take VY out and 2023 barely beats 2005, but you're right that VY is worth +14 by himself...so I say final score would be 35-24. The real hypothetical question in my mind is if you add Bijan back to this team, would anyone be able to stay within 3 TDs this season? I think no.
I'm not trying to say 2023 Texas is scary good, but they're pretty fucking good and 2005 tOSU is a good example of a team that was pretty fucking good (and finished #4, having lost only to the eventual National Champions and a horribly underrated Penn State team).

VY would account for whatever the fuck he wanted to win by. That nc game was the most dominant performance ive ever seen in a real championship setting against a supposed lock of a threepeat nat champ winner with 2 heisman winners in the backfield. That ‘05 D would feast on ewers ducks and happy feet. Look i love ewers and want him to succeed. To even act like this team is within eye sight of 05 is fuckin nutz, but surly so par for the course.
This team is good and can be great. But nowhere near the same area code as 05. Jeezus.. not vy td jesus either
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, williemackgarza said:

To even act like this team is within eye sight of 05 is fuckin nutz, but surly so par for the course.

Nutz indeed. Easily, the most delusional takes I have seen in my 33 years online (as I posted upthread).

Everyone has talked about how stacked the roster for 2005 was v. 2023. Let's look at records and coaching.

For all his maddening flaws, Mack prior to 2005 had seasons of 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, 11-1. Flawed seasons to be sure, but the coach and team were building confidence and learning how to win 11+ games, setting the table for 2005. The coach for the 2023 team has never had a 10-win season nor less than 4-losses in a season. Nothing would more fantastic for long-suffering Horns' fans than for Sark run the table. I hope it happens. 

But history says otherwise ... until Sark does otherwise and wins 10+ in a season. Starting in 2001, Mack was 55-8 going into the title game with a 20-game win streak. Currently, Sark is 17-12 with a mighty 4-game streak. 

After 13 years in the desert, one would hope there would a huge amount of humility here. But, nope, not here, not with some of these posters. Never a good idea to tempt the football gods. They will mock you.

Edited by BevoAbyss
typo.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Bush was a wild man a couple years ago. Overrunning everything. Seemingly never in the right place. Now he is upgraded to Jag. Good enough to spell guys without anyone noticing he is even playing. Much better than what he was before.

So good he actually got a sack on the second play of the game when they took Ethan Burke out..........He isn't playing like a JAG but by all means keep calling him that.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

Nutz indeed. Easily, the most delusional takes I have seen in my 33 years online (as I posted upthread).

Everyone has talked about how stacked the roster for 2005 was v. 2023. Let's look at records and coaching.

For all his maddening flaws, Mack prior to 2005 had seasons of 11-2, 11-2, 10-3, 11-1. Flawed seasons to be sure, but the coach and team were building confidence and learning how to win 11+ games, setting the table for 2005. The coach for the 2023 team has never had a 10-win season nor less than 4-losses in a season. Nothing would more fantastic for long-suffering Horns' fans than for Sark run the table. I hope it happens. 

But history says otherwise ... until Sark does otherwise and wins 10+ in a season. Starting in 2001, Mack was 55-8 going into the title game with a 20-game win streak. Currently, Sark is 17-12 with a mighty 4-game streak. 

After 13 years in the desert, one would hope there would a huge amount of humility here. But, nope, not here, not with some of these posters. Never a good idea to tempt the football gods. They will mock you.

As nuts as it might be to compare the 2005 and 2023 teams, acting as if records in the previous seasons were relevant is even nuttier. 

Sure, let’s compare the results of a roster already stacked with Brown’s guys to one still being made over and that was so rotten to the core that one guy stood alone for the Eyes after OU. Makes perfect sense. 

You’re going to have to wait until November for Sarkisian to get this team to ten wins, then maybe that empty trope can die the miserable death it deserves, the way “Coach February” apparently did. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/25/2023 at 5:47 PM, Thatguy said:

Yeah, but like Deion said we keep receipts!!!

Now we got dudes, and dudes lined up behind those dudes. And the dudes who are out there are teaching the dudes behind them how shit is supposed to be. We are recruiting to fill holes, and getting guys from the portal. Sark has the train rolling and we are shoveling fresh coal in the burner every couple minutes. Dudes who were JAGs are being molded into dudes, and guys who we thought shouldn't ever see the field, and actually serviceable. Case in point one Jett Bush. There is coaching happening. Both sides of the ball are competent in regards to playcalling. All we need now is consistency and health. Feels good.

80d3d487-f2cd-44b6-a394-b401eff0bb9a_tex

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

VY would account for whatever the fuck he wanted to win by.

Texas 47 - Okie Lite 28

Texas 40 - aggy 29

So...VY did not account for whatever the fuck he wanted to win by, man, or he would have pounded everyone by 50. My point was that 2005 Texas doesn't beat 2023 Texas by 31 points. There's no way 2023 Texas is the equivalent of 2005 Missouri or worse than 2005 CU, 2005 Okie Lite, or 2005 aggy.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, AnotherLawyer said:

Texas 47 - Okie Lite 28

Texas 40 - aggy 29

So...VY did not account for whatever the fuck he wanted to win by, man, or he would have pounded everyone by 50. My point was that 2005 Texas doesn't beat 2023 Texas by 31 points. There's no way 2023 Texas is the equivalent of 2005 Missouri or worse than 2005 CU, 2005 Okie Lite, or 2005 aggy.

Aggy, ok, but using the ok st game goes against your argument. VY took over that game and single handedly brought us back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 9:52 PM, BevoAbyss said:

By your logic Mack should never have won a single conference championship because of "history". 

Nobody is saying this team is as good as 05. That team had a top 10 all time college player on it. But this is definitely the deepest, and most well-rounded roster this team has had since those days. Why can't people be allowed to actually enjoy that after this past decade of shit football? 

Also, arguing about how bad a historical great team would beat this team is silly, anyway. That 2001 Miami team gets the same assumptions because nobody remembers the close games they played at the time. 

Edited by LateAughtsHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

People who say this team would be crushed by the 05 team, do you believe this team, with roster full of talent and depth, would be crushed by any team this season? This is a legit top 5 team and those teams rarely get "crushed" by anyone. VY masked a lot of weaknesses in the 05 team, including playcalling, as he was able to get the much needed 3rd down with his legs when the play would break down. Without VY, that team is not an all time great team, perhaps not even a top 5 team that year. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

By your logic Mack should never have won a single conference championship because of "history". 

Nobody is saying this team is as good as 05. That team had a top 10 all time college player on it. But this is definitely the deepest, and most well-rounded roster this team has had since those days. Why can't people be allowed to actually enjoy that after this past decade of shit football? 

Also, arguing about how bad a historical great team would beat this team is silly, anyway. That 2001 Miami team gets the same assumptions because nobody remembers the close games they played at the time. 

I'm not sure how this got derailed into a this team vs. the '05 team thread, but that wasn't what I was going for. 

I started this thread to talk about this current team. And how they might be really special. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Please stop comparing this team to the Longhorns of the past. It’s a futile argument to say the least. Saying the ‘63 Team, with Nobis, couldn’t compete with the ‘69 Team, with Street, is ridiculous. So is comparing the ‘05 Team, with VY, to today’s team. Different teams and different eras. Just enjoy the ride and watch the show.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure how this got derailed into a this team vs. the '05 team thread, but that wasn't what I was going for. 

I started this thread to talk about this current team. And how they might be really special. 

This is the first Texas team in way too damned long that a) I expect to win and b) I think can win by playing to its potential rather than hoping the other guys screw up. 

Cumulative probability being what it is, the odds are relatively low that Texas gets to 12-0 (or 13-0), let alone beyond that, though. Still, bring the focusness every week and, given the schedule, Texas has about as good a shot as anyone else of doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This team looks very good, but we still have a lot of football to play. Let’s get 05 out of our mouths while there is so much football left to play.

So far the defense has been so dominant that sark has only needed to score on 3 possessions. So he has sat back and tried this and that until he picked the defenses lock and got some points. If KU knifes up this defense, which they might, then we will need to score on a much higher percentage of drives, and that is not guaranteed. And that’s assuming we don’t roll out there and have untimely turnovers and penalties and fuck all against us.

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

This team looks very good, but we still have a lot of football to play. Let’s get 05 out of our mouths while there is so much football left to play.

So far the defense has been so dominant that sark has only needed to score on 3 possessions. So he has sat back and tried this and that until he picked the defenses lock and got some points. If KU knifes up this defense, which they might, then we will need to score on a much higher percentage of drives, and that is not guaranteed. And that’s assuming we don’t roll out there and have untimely turnovers and penalties and fuck all against us.

Yes, if things go badly, things will go badly. Let’s all curl up over a home game against a 16.5 point underdog that has neither the skill nor the line players Texas does, just in case. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Please stop comparing this team to the Longhorns of the past. It’s a futile argument to say the least. Saying the ‘63 Team, with Nobis, couldn’t compete with the ‘69 Team, with Street, is ridiculous. So is comparing the ‘05 Team, with VY, to today’s team. Different teams and different eras. Just enjoy the ride and watch the show.

Hook’em!!!

But what if the '05 team were all 14 inches tall?

image.png.38afa71dd73fd3e2e0d88ad2ad5d81ba.png

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think this team is special. They manhandled Alabama and Saban at home. Shutting up the SEC BS, the haters and honks from across the country stating on camera, on their shows and broadcasts, they were "stupid" or "idiots" for underestimating this Texas team.  Some here drank the Kool-Aid early and believed, most are coming around.

They have the potential to run the table. By design, not by accident. We are only 4 games in, by game 12, this could be one of the most explosive offenses in ... well, a really long time.  Sark has realized going jumbo in short yardage situations makes a lot of sense with the large humans we have.

I liked Rod Babers' take, that Sark is opening up the play book to get more things on tape, so every week, other teams prep work will have sensory overload. Come game time, they will hesitate trying to figure out what they see, and then it's too late to do anything about it.

Btw, Sark offense in 2023 >>>>>>> Greg Davis offense in 2005.

Sark is year almost one third into year 3 while Mac was finishing year 8.

44 minutes ago, PTINS said:

I think this team is special. They manhandled Alabama and Saban at home. Shutting up the SEC BS, the haters and honks from across the country stating on camera, on their shows and broadcasts, they were "stupid" or "idiots" for underestimating this Texas team.  Some here drank the Kool-Aid early and believed, most are coming around.

They have the potential to run the table. By design, not by accident. We are only 4 games in, by game 12, this could be one of the most explosive offenses in ... well, a really long time.  Sark has realized going jumbo in short yardage situations makes a lot of sense with the large humans we have.

I liked Rod Babers' take, that Sark is opening up the play book to get more things on tape, so every week, other teams prep work will have sensory overload. Come game time, they will hesitate trying to figure out what they see, and then it's too late to do anything about it.

Btw, Sark offense in 2023 >>>>>>> Greg Davis offense in 2005.

Sark is year almost one third into year 3 while Mac was finishing year 8.

Dude what??! I hope you just mean that Sark is a better play caller because if not then that’s the worst take in this entire thread. 05 offense averaged 50 points per game. 500+ yards of offense per game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Dude what??! I hope you just mean that Sark is a better play caller because if not then that’s the worst take in this entire thread. 05 offense averaged 50 points per game. 500+ yards of offense per game. 

The offense, not the players executing the offense. Please tell me we’re not rehabilitating GDGD now. 

Our defense and special teams scored a lot in 2005 also.  Felt like about once a game.

So many blowouts.  Had Stoops or Meyer coached us or if we had a crappy defense, we average 60 a game.  We shutdown VY and offense many times early in third quarter.  

VY under Meyer -- Jesus he would have had about 25 rushing TDs per year and multiple Heismans.

Edited by Frank Drebin
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Our defense and special teams scored a lot in 2005 also.  Felt like about once a game.

So many blowouts.  Had Stoops or Meyer coached us or if we had a crappy defense, we average 60 a game.  We shutdown VY and offense many times early in third quarter.  

VY under Meyer -- Jesus he would have had about 25 rushing TDs per year and multiple Heismans.

Off the top of my head, Texas could’ve put 100 on Kansas and Colorado if Brown had felt like it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think this is also a sign of being scary good. They sort of dicked around to a 40-14 win. Opening conference play with 2 dominant wins. 

This sort of reminds me of the 2009 team. They don't just jump out with all the flash week to week but they go out and take care of business and seemingly end up winning with a large margin even though it feels like they didn't. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1