Outcoached

Pancho

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What I’m tired of is the showing up to this game and we don’t have a fire to win it. Ou came in to get the 49-0 taste out of its mouth and we looked like we just got done getting each other off talking about how good we are. It’s the reason ou can string together 3-4 wins in a row and we can at best get two. This isn’t even a good ou team. Embarrassing. 

They were 5-0 just like we are. We lost in yr one. Pasted them in yr 2. Lost on the last second this yr. Call me when we look like Mack's squads or they string together 3 or 4 in a row. I think we are all worried about it turning into the early aights. However, Sark has had us in position to win each yr.

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Every time a player doesn't make a play it can be called a coaching issue. Every time. If a kicker misses a kick the coach didn't coach him up. Punter shanks it off his foot the coach didn't teach the player how to be consistent and never make mistakes. Lol

Did you say that last year when we won 49-0?

I mean Texas’ record in this game is

- 2-5 in the last 7 games

- 4-11 in the last 15 games

- 11-18 since the tie in 1995

Should I just hang my hat on last year’s result?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

They were 5-0 just like we are. We lost in yr one. Pasted them in yr 2. Lost on the last second this yr. Call me when we look like Mack's squads or they string together 3 or 4 in a row. I think we are all worried about it turning into the early aights. However, Sark has had us in position to win each yr.

We looked unprepared and lacked fire. Name a year ou comes in not hyped up. I was at the game and it was obvious they wanted it way more than us. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Texas is better than in previous years and the rest of the Big 12 is worse than previous years. Call your shot or stop being a bitch. Who beats Texas in rest of the regular season?

We can definitely lose @TCU and @ISU if we play like today.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

We got outplayed. Ewers drops back and tries to throw a slant pass. AD Mitchell made no effort to fight for the ball and just got out-muscled on a fucking slant pass. JT Sanders was hit in both hands and the ball pops out and they catch it. Quinn, fighting for extra yards, takes a hit and fumbles instead of getting down before that hit. We had them covered and multiple times Gabriel escaped the pocket and run right by us when we had a guy there but couldn't make the play. On the last play as soon as they go in motion we should've called off the corner blitz but instead he blitzes anyway leaving the safety to choose between two players.

These are player mistakes. If we don't make those we win going away.

Mitchell made no effort whatsoever to get across the defender's face and caused the INT and he had multiple pathetic attempts at blocking. Not his best effort today.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

We blaming coaching on Quinns first pick? That changed the game less than minute in and I'm pretty sure he had other, better choices.

No blaming the coaching for not kicking the FG when we needed points blaming the coaching for being dumb stupid morons and not running down the clock. This was Sark's 2008 Lubbock moment.

Do you know anything about football? Honest question...

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, Burt said:

Hold on, guys. I was told by numerous people that this team was comparable to the 2005 team.

First and goal on the 1 and we only run 9 offensive players out there for 3 straight plays.  There's your game right there.

Yep.

How about the shit defense to end the game. No timeouts and they zip down the field with no resistance. That’s called the will to win. They do this regularly against ou and it’s tiresome. If ou whoops our ass 66-3 what do we do? We get our asses whipped again. We can’t seem to figure out how to follow up a blowout with another win. Perfect chance today against a completely average ou team. Maybe we will flip it in December against them. 

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We looked unprepared and lacked fire. Name a year ou comes in not hyped up. I was at the game and it was obvious they wanted it way more than us. 

I will give you that they seemed more up to the task especially early. However, we rallied and took the lead and guys didn't make a play when a play needed to be made down the stretch.

37 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Every time a player doesn't make a play it can be called a coaching issue. Every time. If a kicker misses a kick the coach didn't coach him up. Punter shanks it off his foot the coach didn't teach the player how to be consistent and never make mistakes. Lol

When are you going to realize that there's more to coaching than playcalling on gameday?

Sark has been here 3 years. These are his players, guys his staff identified, recruited, and coached. When they fail to execute his offense/defense on the field, yes that is a coaching problem. The coaching that goes on over the offseason and during the week leading up to games is just as important as the playcalling that happens on gameday. Sark is not an OC anymore! When Ewers makes a braindead throw to a slant route begging to be jumped while blOU's three-star QB slices and dices our defense apart, do you think Sark throws up his hands and says "not my problem, I didn't tell him to throw an interception." Highly-talented recruits don't spontaneously learn to make good decisions and not fuck up on the field. It's a function of how they're coached and what scheme they play in. How do you think blOU improved so much in one year? Was it that their players magically stopped fucking up? Or was it coaching?

We've had this same braindead "it's not the corches fault" discussion many times with previous coaches. By the third year of clusterfuck losses when we blow games against less talented teams due to poor execution, most people are smart enough to stop going back to that well.

Edited by satyanash
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I mean Texas’ record in this game is

- 2-5 in the last 7 games

- 4-11 in the last 15 games

- 11-18 since the tie in 1995

Should I just hang my hat on last year’s result?

Judge the current coach by what HE does. I completely feel you about the PTSD of yesteryear, but we can't take our old girlfriend bullshit to the new relationship.

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I will give you that they seemed more up to the task especially early. However, we rallied and took the lead and guys didn't make a play when a play needed to be made down the stretch.

Exactly. We seem to watch ou make the big play more regularly. This rivalry means way more to them than it us does to us. I’d love to watch us come in foaming at the mouth to win every year the way ou comes in hating us. 

• Like 1

How about the shit defense to end the game. No timeouts and they zip down the field with no resistance. That’s called the will to win. They do this regularly against ou and it’s tiresome. If ou whoops our ass 66-3 what do we do? We get our asses whipped again. We can’t seem to figure out how to follow up a blowout with another win. Perfect chance today against a completely average ou team. Maybe we will flip it in December against them. 

Literally a carbon copy of what we did at the end of the first half. Before their drive started I thought to myself “there’s no way we will make that mistake again”.

Narrator: “There was, in fact, a way.”
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Let me get this straight...
We were missing 4 starters most of the game.
We turned the ball over 3 times.
We dropped a pick in our own end zone.
We committed a bunch of mental penalties.
And we still almost won. 
And you think it's the coach's fault that we didn't?
Yeah, the goal line stand playcalling sucked.  But, the fake punt was great.  The 4th and 1 touchdown pass was great.  Sark did not lose this game, guys.  We made too many mistakes on the field.
And, we're going to win the rematch in a couple of months.  

Yep. 0-3 turnover deficit was the difference. We didn’t play well at all and still should’ve probably won.

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We can definitely lose @TCU and @ISU if we play like today.

We can lose to anyone if we play like we did in the first quarter for an entire game. If we were against anyone else today, we win the game. Dillon Gabriel was big time on that last drive. Very similar to what Bryce Young did against us last year.

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Judge the current coach by what HE does. I completely feel you about the PTSD of yesteryear, but we can't take our old girlfriend bullshit to the new relationship.

It’s what we do—judge the current coach. Been our “motto” for damn near 30 years.

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Exactly. We seem to watch ou make the big play more regularly. This rivalry means way more to them than it us does to us. I’d love to watch us come in foaming at the mouth to win every year the way ou comes in hating us. 

I mean what do you expect, our fanbase sees itself as superior to Oklahoma in every single way. OU fans need this to define them, we're Texas.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Pretty sure we all think it's obvious. Coaching issues sure .. but they didn't lose those game.

So your neg is cancelled out? Coaching issues sure is part of what my original post was about. Getting Outcoached is one of the reasons we are where we are and are possibly out of the CFP.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Yep. 0-3 turnover deficit was the difference. We didn’t play well at all and still should’ve probably won.

The running into the kicker penalty that extended their drive is effectively another turnover too. 

Gabriel gave them that opportunity with the way he saved the bad snap too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That goal to go series was poor, for sure.  How much practice do sweat and Murphy have at locating a man to block and then blocking them?  Plus, do they really need the extra snaps in a game where they are working hard on defense for 40-50 snaps?  
not sure that’s the right package to declare what you are doing and then doing what you declared. 

so no, sark was not perfect. 

I saw several posts stating Sark wasn't getting out coached today, he's got it going on  etc etc.

Now he sucks and he's a dumbass. There were several things that hurt us in this game, multiple blatant face mask penalties that went uncalled, the guys coming out as flat and cold as an Eskimo tit, all the uncalled offensive holding calls on blowusux that were ignored by the officials, not to mention some key players getting dinged up.

We lost a fucking tough one that really hurt, but if we had held ou on their last drive, Sark would be hailed as a genius.

Relax, there will be better days, and it's damned sure not over yet.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Do you think we lose to TCU or ISU? I didn't quite hear your answer over the meme. Sorry to press, just contrasting your non-answer with "None of them will tell me why" post.

If we play and coach like today, yes. You don’t think TCu or ISU will go all out to beat Texas in their last year of the big 12 and playing in those stadiums in possibly forever? 

The question I’ve had for 25 years is why don’t we treat the Texas/ou game with the same amount of vitriol as ou does?

• Like 1

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

I don’t think we will lose another game this year. Then we will see in CCG. If “we’re back” then we learn from this and win out. We will see.

Despite me making this thread, I actually think we go undefeated the rest of the way as well. 

My concern is 1 loss will NOT get us into the CFP because of other things happening with other conferences. I’ve always felt the B12 was so shitty, we HAD to go undefeated to assure ourselves. 

Just now, Pancho said:

If we play and coach like today, yes. You don’t think TCu or ISU will go all out to beat Texas in their last year of the big 12 and playing in those stadiums in possibly forever? 

The question I’ve had for 25 years is why don’t we treat the Texas/ou game with the same amount of vitriol as ou does?

Fair enough. I think even if Texas plays and coaches exactly as today we beat TCU and ISU by 7+. I could be whistling past the graveyard but even a bad texas game in 2023 is much better than bad Texas games from the last 15 years, and TCU and ISU are just not that good. This is a shitty big 12. Yes Texas could miss the rematch but would you say odds of that are >50%?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Despite me making this thread, I actually think we go undefeated the rest of the way as well. 

My concern is 1 loss will NOT get us into the CFP because of other things happening with other conferences. I’ve always felt the B12 was so shitty, we HAD to go undefeated to assure ourselves. 

There is a long way to go this season and a whole bunch of teams in contention, unfortunately after today 1 of those teams is OU.

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s more than the conference though.  If TEXAS is 12-1, well we will see who is 13-0 and who is also 12-1 to compare to us. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Y’all calm tf down. Disclaimer I watched the game from my phone so didn’t notice too much. Sark played with his nuts out. Fake punt, going for it on 4th down etc… ewers had 3 turnovers and we should’ve still won the game. This game was not all on sark

I will say the defense on the last position wtf was that. Why are we giving them cushion? Besides all that this team is good let’s save the overreaction if they lose another game.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Did you say that last year when we won 49-0?

The coaching issue isn’t in the players missing the block. It’s in WHO they’re asking to make the block.

asking guys WHO DONT BLOCK “FOR A LIVING” on 3 straight plays is 100% the coaching issue.

Why do people not get that getting your team to play with fire IS on the coaches. Players reflect leadership. 3 straight up the gut run calls then a slant to the tiniest wr on the team? Call that quick pass to AD instead or Jwhitt and he’s in. Or how about a more creative play all the first 3 HB dives we called . Wtf 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I don’t think we will lose another game this year. Then we will see in CCG. If “we’re back” then we learn from this and win out. We will see.

I don't either. There's going to be a squad of pissed off players sharpening their horns for the kill.

Here's the sublimated big fear lurking in these threads:

-- We have Seven-Win Steve, who will lose or choke away 2-3 inexplicable games per year. His record is what it is .. until it isn't. John Mackovic 2.0, Tom Herman 2.0.

-- OU has their Stoops 2.0. I hope not, but OU is winning 10-12 games this year. Already have 6. 

We can deny all we want, but that is the ultimate issue after today's choke job. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
Typo.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

you would defend the guy if he fucked your wife in front of you.

image.thumb.png.63a4e15952fdd74a5e51231a7c1e48c1.png

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Worthy would have scored on 4th down if they didn't pull his facemask

Yep. The facemask was obvious too and should have resulted in a 1st and Goal, despite Sark's stupid play calling and shit execution at the goal line.

Stills from the game thread.

image.png.0f7dee411a508820c7c7241d766fc79f.pngimage.png.2260132a551416efe0ae23dfa6237dbf.png

Edited by Pods
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Sark asked them to have fun. OU, on the other hand, played angry and as if their life depended on winning. Attitude was the biggest difference imo. Our players didn't make the extra effort that's often the deciding factor in a rivalry game like this.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1