Wulaw Horn

Since the safest and most common assumption is that we are going to have a conservative, run-heavy game plan, I think it wold be awesome for Sark to come out with a Mike Leach game plan, with the wide splits on the OL and everything.  Could also play well for Maalik.  Easy reads, quick throws, let the receivers work. 

My bigger concern is PK telling his defenders to avoid the middle of the field like their playing the-floor-is-lava game.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Cook's lack of athleticism was a bad eval. Foster was a little of both. 

Cook was a 4 star by the time he signed. The direction of the rankings can be more important, than the actual ranking. Cook was a 5 star as a young player and it became apparent that he was pretty maxed out athletically at the Senior Bowl (I think). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Since the safest and most common assumption is that we are going to have a conservative, run-heavy game plan, I think it wold be awesome for Sark to come out with a Mike Leach game plan, with the wide splits on the OL and everything.  Could also play well for Maalik.  Easy reads, quick throws, let the receivers work. 

My bigger concern is PK telling his defenders to avoid the middle of the field like their playing the-floor-is-lava game.  

I said on the Maalik thread I would love to buy a prop bet that Maalik’s first play is play action deep shot, because that just screams Sark 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

He was dropped, because he completed 55% of his passes, 9TDs, and 4 ints as a Junior in the shortened Covid season. He followed that up with 63% comp, 22 TDs, and 9 ints as a senior. He rushed for 99 yards over those 16 games as a starter. Not exactly numbers that scream 5 star 

Well shit, with this in-depth analysis have you considered a job with On3?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Having not only your backup QB who's throw about 10 passes in college and starting his first game but your entire offense come out and play a system they haven't practiced once their entire time in Austin would be a fireable offense. 

This isn't NCAA 2k

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

Quinn suffered when he'd anticipate the pass rush, not set his feet, and throw a high school pass. I've not seen him run, but I don't see where Maalik would overly concern himself with a pass rusher.

After practice, the receivers need to stay late and turn the JUGS machine up to 11. Failing that, find an M40 recoilless rifle and practice with that.

He takes off running at the end of the spring game. Looks pretty fluid and like he would have liked the contact and chance at the TD. It’s at the very end of this video (8:07 left in the fourth)

Edited by jinx
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

Their defense isn't shitty. They force a lot of turnovers. 

We just played the worst defenses in the conference and had almost 3 full quarters where we scored 3 points. Most of that was with Ewers. This isn't a team that can take any weak team for granted. 

Maalik will have to throw to win because we won't just run over them. I think I'd like to see Sark put his best run blocking line available out there with the plan to grind them up on the ground to set up heavy boxes for Maalik to throw against. 

They might cause some turnovers but they’re ranked 95 out of 130 teams in total defense. They’re shitty.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

They might cause some turnovers but they’re ranked 95 out of 130 teams in total defense. They’re shitty.

And yet Houston is ranked 110th and we have a backup QB and multiple OL injuries. 

This team isn't great enough to overlook anyone even when healthy, and definitely not right now. Every game is a toss up going forward with this many injuries.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Hermanator said:

And yet Houston is ranked 110th and we have a backup QB and multiple OL injuries. 

This team isn't great enough to overlook anyone even when healthy, and definitely not right now. Every game is a toss up going forward with this many injuries.

I’m not sure where you got that I thought we should overlook BYU. My only point is that not allowing Malik to throw the ball much next week if he has to play K State too would not be smart. If this team has any hope to get back to the conference championship game, they’ll need a qb who can throw the ball against good teams. This doesn’t change the fact that Houston and BYU both have shitty defenses. We just happened to get a lot of players injured and played shitty ourselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

as opposed to the he plays for Texas, so he is an under-rated dual threat take? 

Please point out where I even called him underrated or a fucking dual threat lol. All I said is it was a terrible time for scouting and HS football in California, and laughed at a guy who already flamed out of OU who was rated much higher. I actually think a top 200 composite ranking is a pretty good spot for a project such as Maalik, but wouldn’t fault anyone who thinks his ceiling is much higher or lower than that. The good thing is that his recruiting ranking has nothing to do with how he will play going forward, so who gives a shit. Yes, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as a Texas fan until proven otherwise. Congrats on not being a homer though - you are so, so strong.

Edited by CashMcCoy

22 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Please point out where I even called him underrated or a fucking dual threat lol. All I said is it was a terrible time for scouting and HS football in California, and laughed at a guy who already flamed out of OU who was rated much higher. I actually think a top 200 composite ranking is a pretty good spot for a project such as Maalik, but wouldn’t fault anyone who thinks his ceiling is much higher or lower than that. The good thing is that his recruiting ranking has nothing to do with how he will play going forward, so who gives a shit. Yes, I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as a Texas fan until proven otherwise. Congrats on not being a homer though - you are so, so strong.

I am rooting for Maalik, but that doesnt mean I need to make shit up. If adding some factual information to the conversation upsets you, I apologize. People are in here pretending Maalik was done wrong by the rating agencies, but ignoring he completed less than 60% of his HS passes. 

Edited by Codaxx

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wonder how his formula works with regards to an injury like Quinn

Believe he has said in the past that injuries aren't included in those projections.

Makes sense considering college teams don't have to release injury reports. Would be impossible to track for 132 teams.

21 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Can one of you defensive dweebs go look at Houston’s defensive alignment, because supposedly they switched to a 3-3-5 in the second quarter, shutting down the offense. And apparently Sark has consistently struggled with this defense, causing a lot of the issues they’ve had. 

On3 is correct in that our offense/Quinn have struggled against it (along with every other spread team).  But it's not something that teams switch to and suddenly shut us down, that's media narrative exaggeration. UH played a 3-safety 3-3-5 (3-3-3 or 3x3) throughout the entire game.  Here's our first offensive snap:

Screenshot_20231024_095628_YouTube.thumb.jpg.d6074e61dc8a603bcbcfcffc55d7b43e.jpg

It's pretty much a defense designed to counter the modern spread RPO and zone read.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

On3 is correct in that our offense/Quinn have struggled against it (along with every other spread team).  But it's not something that teams switch to and suddenly shut us down, that's media narrative exaggeration. UH played a 3-safety 3-3-5 (3-3-3 or 3x3) throughout the entire game.  Here's our first offensive snap:

Screenshot_20231024_095628_YouTube.thumb.jpg.d6074e61dc8a603bcbcfcffc55d7b43e.jpg

It's pretty much a defense designed to counter the modern spread RPO and zone read.

Yeah, Sark even said in the presser yesterday that they came out in it from the first snap. It wasn't like it was a switch after we got up 21-0.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, JBJ said:

All I see in this screenshot is RUN LEFT!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

They're #28 in ESPN's defensive efficiency metric. Teams rack up counting stats against them though because their offense sucks and the defense is always on the field; BYU has one of the worst time of possessions in the country. That metric is supposed to account for competition, but it's possible if not likely that it's not completely adjusting for how bad the offenses they've played are. 

I wouldn't necessarily call it a good defense, but it's definitely not "shitty" 

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

They're #28 in ESPN's defensive efficiency metric. Teams rack up counting stats against them though because their offense sucks and the defense is always on the field; BYU has one of the worst time of possessions in the country. That metric is supposed to account for competition, but it's possible if not likely that it's not completely adjusting for how bad the offenses they've played are. 

I wouldn't necessarily call it a good defense, but it's definitely not "shitty" 

They are 5th in the country in turnovers gained. 36th in yards per play allowed. 39th in pts per drive. DFEI (adjusted) has them at 65th.. 

15 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Having not only your backup QB who's throw about 10 passes in college and starting his first game but your entire offense come out and play a system they haven't practiced once their entire time in Austin would be a fireable offense. 

counter argument - sunny fucking cumbie put up video game numbers in that offense.  can't be that difficult.  MM catch the snap, short throw to first read, receiver catch and out athlete BYU on the edge.  Profit and take their women.  

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

They are 5th in the country in turnovers gained. 36th in yards per play allowed. 39th in pts per drive. DFEI (adjusted) has them at 65th.. 

The difference is FEI takes data from previous seasons and likely uses recruiting/transfer data similar to FPI/SP+, while the others are base solely on what's happened on the field this year 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

The difference is FEI takes data from previous seasons and likely uses recruiting/transfer data similar to FPI/SP+, while the others are base solely on what's happened on the field this year 

The others are non-adjusted, I believe that at this point in the season FEI is not longer using 5 year historical, returning production, and Recruiting rankings They use those in  the pre-season rankings, but I am not sure exactly when they completely throw those out of the equation. 

21 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The teams that consistently see the 3 high in practice do better against it than other shit.  Shocker.  This would be the week to roll it out if it was even in our playbook, which it ain't.  Does BYU run it?

No. And I would be surprised if BYU even tried to run it considering the injuries they’ve had in the secondary. They were down to like their 4th string safeties.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

The others are non-adjusted, I believe that at this point in the season FEI is not longer using 5 year historical, returning production, and Recruiting rankings They use those in  the pre-season rankings, but I am not sure exactly when they completely throw those out of the equation. 

Assuming it's similar to SP+, previous season's data never gets completely filtered out

ESPN's defensive efficiency metric is adjusted, fwiw, although I'm not sure it capture show bad some of the QBs they've faced are 

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Assuming it's similar to SP+, previous season's data never gets completely filtered out

ESPN's defensive efficiency metric is adjusted, fwiw, although I'm not sure it capture show bad some of the QBs they've faced are 

I am pretty sure FEI filters that out by the end of the season. I am not sure exactly when they do that. None of them account for injuries, that i know of

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am pretty sure FEI filters that out by the end of the season. I am not sure exactly when they do that. None of them account for injuries, that i know of

It looks like FEI is still using some preseason data

So, two examples of 5* that played as JAG+ here.  Development?  Or bad eval?

Cook was pretty good in 2021-22. Whatever Orlando was asking of him wasn’t working but he was pretty effective as a nickel/safety under PK.
If there’s any chance Malik will need to play against K State, you better let him throw against this shitty defense. He’ll have to throw against K State at a decent level to win.

This. Obviously you lean on the run game a bit more than normal but you have to run the full offense. And frankly Sark clearly curtailed the vertical elements of the offense this year given Ewers’s struggles in that department. If anything my worry is he’s going to get deep shot happy with a new QB with a big arm.