Wulaw Horn

16 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

My neighbors across the street are Mormons. No way we can lost to these clowns. I don't want to hear any awkwardly polite attempts at shit talk if we lose.

Just play Doom and tell them you are killing the devil. Worked for my dad. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Good thing we got our backup QB lots of useful snaps earlier in the season against lesser opponents. 

Oh.

I’ve always found this a weird thing to be hung up on. No team ever blows out opponents enough to have their backup QB fully ready to step in without a hitch. Especially in game 7 of the season.

Would you feel so far much better about Murphy stepping in if he had 20 pass attempts this season instead of 8?

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 5

37 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’ve always found this a weird thing to be hung up on. No team ever blows out opponents enough to have their backup QB fully ready to step in without a hitch. Especially in game 7 of the season.

Would you feel so far much better about Murphy stepping in if he had 20 pass attempts this season instead of 8?

More about running the offense at game speed for me. Seeing a live defense, etc.

But I definitely see where you're coming from. Probably wouldn't matter. Hopefully we get Spring Game Maalik.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite

Sounds like Catalon had a setback in practice last week, per Burton.
He said say he expected Alfred Collins and Holmes to be fine.

Idk how the staff watched Jerrin, Kitan, and Taeffe… And decided to only bring in Catalon — when you knew with certainty he’d battle injuries throughout the year…
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Idk how the staff watched Jerrin, Kitan, and Taeffe… And decided to only bring in Catalon — when you knew with certainty he’d battle injuries throughout the year…

I don't think the staff expected celebrated safety recruits like Larry Turner Gooden and Bryan Allen to suck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Larry Turner Gooden wasn't celebrated. Most are surprised he wasn't processed out of the class. 

Well considering he committed in January, there wasn’t really a whole lot of time left to process him out.

And I agree that Barron/Gilbeau should have been cross trained at safety.

Edited by SarkAfterDark
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Ja’had Carter is the other safety we really went after. He probably plays, but he hasn’t done anything of note for Ohio state either. 

They should have been cross training guys like Brice, Guilbeau, Jordan, and Roberson this spring/fall. 

He was helped off the field on Saturday after getting seriously hurt on a special teams play. I don't think he was a defensive starter though.

The entire country viewed those two guys as the best safeties in the portal. Texas did what it could. It would have been a hell of a lot more valuable to have figured out how to buy Jacoby Matthews in the prior recruiting class since he was very interested in coming here but ATM was the only team of interest willing to work with the agent.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, immamac said:

People in here acting like they wouldn’t take MM over legit every starter in the big XII except maybe Dillon Gabriel if you get the TX OU version. fuck this shit ass conference and fuck byu. 

On the whole I agree with you, but I don't know if I could say that about his first true start. 

27 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Well considering he committed in January, there wasn’t really a whole lot of time left to process him out.

And I agree that Barron/Gilbeau should have been cross trained at safety.

Processed can mean a lot of things. In this case, it means actually accepting his commitment. 

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I realize that you've got some sort of bizarre love affair with Murphy, but that's your thing. That's like telling us that Casey Thompson is going to be a high NFL draft pick and we're all crazy for not seeing it. You do you. 

That considered, any sane person who has watched games would take Daniels, Avery Johnson, Gabriel, or Becht, at a minimum, over what we know about Murphy right now. He can feel free to show us all otherwise, but until he does, all of the aforementioned have shown us something on the field and they're either good or clearly getting there. 

At a minimum is right.  We have no idea what Murphy or Manning can do.  I did not take anything from the spring game when Murphy was throwing against walk ons.

Jason Bean, Donovan Smith, Blake Shapen, and Will Howard would be my preference over an unknown MM or true freshman Arch if we are just talking about a reliever for 3-4 games.

Can one of you defensive dweebs go look at Houston’s defensive alignment, because supposedly they switched to a 3-3-5 in the second quarter, shutting down the offense. And apparently Sark has consistently struggled with this defense, causing a lot of the issues they’ve had. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Yeah, that's the disturbing thing.  We seem to have a talent problem at safety brewing for three years now.  We have seemed to mostly address such problems elsewhere but not here.

One of the problems seems to be communication, so maybe they thought Catalon could be a coach on the field or some such and that further upgrades were unnecessary.

It's a disturbing trend that this team actually looks to be getting worse and worse every week. Yes we have injuries but so does everyone else. While there is top-10 talent at certain positions, the team is not performing anywhere near top-10 level now.

I think by and large opposing teams have picked up on Sark and PKs tendencies. For Sark, that umbrella defense has taken away the long ball. And for PK, the porous secondary is easily exploited with crossing routes and posts which are typically wide open.  If we played Bama or any other quality opponent today, the outcome would be very different. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Can one of you defensive dweebs go look at Houston’s defensive alignment, because supposedly they switched to a 3-3-5 in the second quarter, shutting down the offense. And apparently Sark has consistently struggled with this defense, causing a lot of the issues they’ve had. 

They had issues because the running game was less effective than expected. 
They also got situational pressure, and we don’t seem to notice the blitz pre-snap with any consistency. 

My biggest concern is that the running game has been effective because teams have been respecting Quinn’s ability to hit receivers downfield. What happens when they start making Maalik prove he can win the game? 

• Hook 'Em 3

It's a disturbing trend that this team actually looks to be getting worse and worse every week. Yes we have injuries but so does everyone else. While there is top-10 talent at certain positions, the team is not performing anywhere near top-10 level now.
I think by and large opposing teams have picked up on Sark and PKs tendencies. For Sark, that umbrella defense has taken away the long ball. And for PK, the porous secondary is easily exploited with crossing routes and posts which are typically wide open.  If we played Bama or any other quality opponent today, the outcome would be very different. 

It doesn’t help that outside a couple TE throws in the middle we never throw in the middle of the field. Not sure how the defense practices against crossing routes when our Offense is allergic to running those.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's a disturbing trend that this team actually looks to be getting worse and worse every week.

It's been 2 games, one of which we lost in the final seconds to a team ranked 7th in the country.

1 week is an outlier, 2 weeks is a data point, 3 weeks is a trend.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

They had issues because the running game was less effective than expected. 
They also got situational pressure, and we don’t seem to notice the blitz pre-snap with any consistency. 

My biggest concern is that the running game has been effective because teams have been respecting Quinn’s ability to hit receivers downfield. What happens when they start making Maalik prove he can win the game? 

This Maalik or a different one? 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

All of the sudden the worst big XII in history is full of world beaters? 

Best shot we have had with a very loaded roster (better than any team in the Big 12 period) and somehow we are fighting for a chance for a rematch instead of dominating this crappy conference of ingrates that we helped carry the water for for years and got them tons of money. Yes this conference we should be stomping to shreds heathy Quinn or no but we aren’t.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Not if we can run the damn football with the best running back in the Big 12. 

Texas still doesn't have an "impose our will" OL and you know BYU and KSU will be loading the box. Running isn't going to work unless Maalik can make them feel some pain passing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1