NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

Posted (edited)

Pretty cool for the young guys win the biggest game of their careers thus far. Denver will have to be content to remain at the one-time table of NBA Champions while the Wolves try to join them there. Should be a fun final two rounds.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

How much energy does it take to foul someone and make them hit their FTs?

They were down 7 with 34 seconds. They would have needed a million things to go right. 

How much energy does it take to foul someone and make them hit their FTs?
Oh well.  On to the WCF.
This might have been the shot of the playoffs:

Yea I agree just foul and see what happens but they were clearly on fumes and just wanted to be done

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They were down 7 with 34 seconds. They would have needed a million things to go right. 

Jokic looked like he couldn’t move 5 more feet. I thought it was weird they didn’t foul but I think all 12 guys and the coaches knew they didn’t have it in their legs. 

Congrats Minny. Naz Reid was huge. Malone coached an odd game - didn’t understand the shortened bench especially with a big lead early. 

The West is brutal. Sucks Boston gets to cakewalk to the finals while the Mavs and Wolves beat the hell out of each other. 

Congrats Minny. Naz Reid was huge. Malone coached an odd game - didn’t understand the shortened bench especially with a big lead early. 

The West is brutal. Sucks Boston gets to cakewalk to the finals while the Mavs and Wolves beat the hell out of each other. 

He ran joker into the ground by not giving him rest after the end of 1.

Jesus Deandre Jordan can do something and they didn’t even try him

I’m still in shock. Great win for the wolves.

Horrific brutal choke by Denver. They are going to kick themselves all summer for this entire series and especially tonight. That stretch in the third quarter, they acted like the game was over.  One lazy possession after another. Then second chance points killed them down the stretch and when Gobert is throwing in 17 foot turnarounds to beat the clock, it may just not be your night. 

Conference finals are going to be interesting. Both teams present such different problems than each faced in the previous round. I think I like Minnesota's chances. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

to be clear i’m not saying that that shot made it an insurmountable lead, im saying that when rudy gobert is splashing 17 foot fadeaway it’s just not your night.

IMG_5544.thumb.jpeg.1a5212a0e9b54e7d784843a82d239a9a.jpeg

texas basketball fans know these shots all too well. byron eaton, kemba walker, any number of forgettable white guys who had the best day of their lives against Texas. you know it’s over when that dumb shit starts falling. i doubt there was a single person watching last night who even knew rudy could do that lol. i know i didn’t.

12 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

watching MPJ shoot is like watching a super athletic Klay shoot. his shot is so pure.

Such an enigma as a player. Dude should be a lock for 20 points a game with his skill set and athleticism. He's 6'10" with career 50/41/81 shooting splits. Yet, he completely disappears for long stretches almost every night. He scored single digits in 5 of 7 games this series, despite playing 30+ minutes in all of them.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Such an enigma as a player. Dude should be a lock for 20 points a game with his skill set and athleticism. He's 6'10" with career 50/41/81 shooting splits. Yet, he completely disappears for long stretches almost every night. He scored single digits in 5 of 7 games this series, despite playing 30+ minutes in all of them.

I think he bitched about not getting the ball a few years ago.  He’s an enigma, was a star in high school and I’m sure he has a lot on his mind.  Curious if Denver players not named Jamaal or Jokic are frustrated at times.  

glad minny won.  Can’t stand Malone.  Hoping the Mavs can beat minny 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think he bitched about not getting the ball a few years ago.  He’s an enigma, was a star in high school and I’m sure he has a lot on his mind.  Curious if Denver players not named Jamaal or Jokic are frustrated at times.  

glad minny won.  Can’t stand Malone.  Hoping the Mavs can beat minny 

Did you see Malone crying in the post presser about how tired they were compared to last years run? “Oh these guys had a long season into June, oh these guys had the west wrapped up early so they were able to rest more heading into the playoffs”

Can’t stand that fuck. Looks like a privileged asshole to begin with. He and Braun who orgasms after every bucket can go pound the sands of Cancun with each other
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Did you see Malone crying in the post presser about how tired they were compared to last years run? “Oh these guys had a long season into June, oh these guys had the west wrapped up early so they were able to rest more heading into the playoffs”

Can’t stand that fuck. Looks like a privileged asshole to begin with. He and Braun who orgasms after every bucket can go pound the sands of Cancun with each other

2 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

michael malone is the man and one of the best coaches to play for in the league.

I'm not questioning his coaching bonafides, of course he can coach, players probably love him, etc.  But he went off on a reporter for asking how the team felt after the loss.  Guy was just doing his job. Have some class. 

20 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not questioning his coaching bonafides, of course he can coach, players probably love him, etc.  But he went off on a reporter for asking how the team felt after the loss.  Guy was just doing his job. Have some class. 

history says that coaches who ooze class don’t win as much as michael malone does. same goes for mj, kobe, shaq, kareem, etc. the nuggets are a likable team, who cares if their coach gets pissy at a reporter every once in a while? there’s plenty of guys out there way worse than him who don’t win nearly as much. 

40 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Lol I don't mind Malone but Braun definitely got on my nerves this postseason.

Sick wide open dunk, bro. Almost like you're playing with the best player in the league and get left alone on purpose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Everything he gets is off of Jokic/Murray or somebody else. He can't create his own shot and they don't run any actions for him, which is weird for such a knock down shooter. Why aren't they running him off of 10 different screens and pin downs at least every once in a while to mix things up? I suppose the Jokic/Murray combo is so good that they don't have to much, but it wouldn't hurt them to be more diverse on offense. Having a secondary creator like Bruce Brown last year made them much more difficult to defend. They've become more and more Jokic-centric, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems that they could open up a lot more by being less predictable.

The jackass is strong in Mike Malone. His bit at the parade last year was awkward. I felt a little embarrassed for the guy. I don't necessarily want coaches who are robots and act "classy" all the time, but it just seems like there is an unjustified pettiness to him that is unsettling for someone who has had every advantage possible moving into and up in the coaching ranks.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, MrX said:

while i think Boston will beat Indiana, I don't think that series is going to be a cakewalk at all.

16 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Everything he gets is off of Jokic/Murray or somebody else. He can't create his own shot and they don't run any actions for him, which is weird for such a knock down shooter. Why aren't they running him off of 10 different screens and pin downs at least every once in a while to mix things up? I suppose the Jokic/Murray combo is so good that they don't have to much, but it wouldn't hurt them to be more diverse on offense. Having a secondary creator like Bruce Brown last year made them much more difficult to defend. They've become more and more Jokic-centric, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it seems that they could open up a lot more by being less predictable.

The jackass is strong in Mike Malone. His bit at the parade last year was awkward. I felt a little embarrassed for the guy. I don't necessarily want coaches who are robots and act "classy" all the time, but it just seems like there is an unjustified pettiness to him that is unsettling for someone who has had every advantage possible moving into and up in the coaching ranks.

Chris Finch has a much better demeanor and is easier to root for. Can't imagine him calling someone stupid for asking a question. I find the whole contrived act that Malone does to be off-putting for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

it’s funny that everyone in here casting aspersions on MM never said a word about him until the very moment he got knocked off if his throne. where have these opinions been all of this time? lol

I think it's less about piling on when he got knocked off the throne and more about piling on after watching his reaction to being knocked off the throne. And he did look like a fool in the parade last year.

I don't think he's any sort of villain. He just comes off as bush league. Not that a Spurs fan like me has any room to talk as horribly as Pop has treated the press over the years.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, definitely not derka said:

it’s funny that everyone in here casting aspersions on MM never said a word about him until the very moment he got knocked off if his throne. where have these opinions been all of this time? lol

When he beats the Lakers and does it everyone loves him. But losing and then acting like that doesn't come off so well it turns out.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

image.png.beb9bd4f34389e99f8897c37608060a8.png

who’s unlikable, especially when compared to other championship teams? golden state had KD and draymond; spurs and raptors had kawhi; you’ve got the bubble lakers who nobody likes; how is denver not a likable champion? they’re right there with the bucks as likable champions full of likable players that were built through prudent drafting, trading, and FA acquisitions, led by a humble european superstar who doesn’t seek attention, only titles. if you don’t like denver then i can’t imagine who you do like.

Edited by definitely not derka

4 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

When he beats the Lakers and does it everyone loves him. But losing and then acting like that doesn't come off so well it turns out.

i’ll ask again: what did he do? the only thing i saw him do was say, “next question” when a reporter asked him about blowing a 20 point lead. stop the presses!!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

who’s unlikable, especially when compared to other championship teams? golden state had KD and draymond; spurs and raptors had kawhi; you’ve got the bubble lakers who nobody likes; how is denver not a likable champion? they’re right there with the bucks as likable champions full of likable players that were built through prudent drafting, trading, and FA acquisitions, led by a humble european superstar who doesn’t seek attention, only titles. if you don’t like denver then i can’t imagine who you do like.

i’ll ask again: what did he do? the only thing i saw him do was say, “next question” when a reporter asked him about blowing a 20 point lead. stop the presses!

I don't like Denver and don't like Jokic. I'm also not a Denver resident or have any heritage ties to Denver or Colorado. Sue me, I guess.

I say that last part, because I'm fully aware how everyone outside of DFW views Luka and I would probably hate him too if he tore me up every night and chirped a lot while doing it, if I weren't a Mavs fan. But I am, so I love him. So I get how geography can provide some cognitive dissonance, generally speaking (not saying that is the case for folks like Jokic-- I can see how he would be genuinely likable for a lot of fans who value people with his game and disposition, etc. et al.)

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 1