NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

25 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

In this specific instance, Kerr has a point. It's LeBron and the Lakers--they are going to benefit from whistles more often than not.

I'm all for shitting on the Lakers but they play a completely different style of ball than GS and they actually have elite FT getters. GS was also at home. 

Steph took 21 3s. How many FTs is he supposed to get from those attempts? Klay took 17 of his 24 shots from 3.

Kerr is bitching just to bitch like he always does. 

Here's a good reply. LOL. 

We all know the NBA rigs it for Memphis.

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Do any non-Warriors fans still like this douche?

Yes. He’s a coach, advocating for his team. Also, I have very fond memories of him as a player. The reffing has been abysmal this season, with no clear direction on contract rules, fuck ups on review, and down right disdain for having to explain their mistakes while taking no responsibly, all while the league promotes gambling like it’s insulin for us diabetics creating a clear conflict of interest, especially when they’ve been embroiled in a ref/gambling scandal, and one of the refs with a lot of contact with Tim Donaghy still has a job (coughScottFostercough). He’s a cocky asshole who has questionably run his team, but he’s also the architect of what the league is now offensively. So yeah, I like him. Mike Malone is whinier. Pop is preachier, and Spoelstra is more arrogant (I have no point of reference on this, just the audacity of divorcing that beautiful, beautiful woman/succubus). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Yes. He’s a coach, advocating for his team. Also, I have very fond memories of him as a player. The reffing has been abysmal this season, with no clear direction on contract rules, fuck ups on review, and down right disdain for having to explain their mistakes while taking no responsibly, all while the league promotes gambling like it’s insulin for us diabetics creating a clear conflict of interest, especially when they’ve been embroiled in a ref/gambling scandal, and one of the refs with a lot of contact with Tim Donaghy still has a job (coughScottFostercough). He’s a cocky asshole who has questionably run his team, but he’s also the architect of what the league is now offensively. So yeah, I like him. Mike Malone is whinier. Pop is preachier, and Spoelstra is more arrogant (I have no point of reference on this, just the audacity of divorcing that beautiful, beautiful woman/succubus). 

That's fair. I didn't use to dislike him. I think I'm just so tired of that team in general. The past few seasons I've liked the Lakers better than them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That's fair. I didn't use to dislike him. I think I'm just so tired of that team in general. The past few seasons I've liked the Lakers better than them. 

Yup. If we’re talking teams that I hate, the Warriors are definitely at the top of the food chain, squarely behind the Lakers and whatever team that douche-nozzle Kawhi plays for. Draymond’s antics on and off the court, my general disdain for Steph and Klay’s superb shooting over the years, and the stupid shitty online fanbase of moronic, pimple-faced squealers (Aggie excluded) defending their heroes at every turn have solidified my hatred of everything Golden State. 

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

Yup. If we’re talking teams that I hate, the Warriors are definitely at the top of the food chain, squarely behind the Lakers and whatever team that douche-nozzle Kawhi plays for. Draymond’s antics on and off the court, my general disdain for Steph and Klay’s superb shooting over the years, and the stupid shitty online fanbase of moronic, pimple-faced squealers (Aggie excluded) defending their heroes at every turn have solidified my hatred of everything Golden State. 

I still hate the Lakers but this iteration of them is fairly palatable. Reeves and AD don't run their mouths or anything and I quit hating on LeBron awhile ago. Their brand of ball is entertaining to watch and they don't have anyone who's a real cunt on the roster (unless you're that much of a LeBron hater). 

That said I couldn't watch the 2020 Finals because it made me sick to my stomach (also the bubble shit was dumb and not real playoff basketball). But that squad was a little different.

4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Memphis took 54 3s and still shot 40 FTs? 

When? They didn’t play last night. 

edit: sorry, I’m the moron who didn’t read the post above. 

Edited by Kermit
Idiocy

I definitely found myself rooting for the Lakers last night. It felt dirty.

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
9 hours ago, ztejas said:

I definitely found myself rooting for the Lakers last night. It felt dirty.

It should’ve felt dirty.  

• Like 1

Trade deadline in 9 days. 

I think this interesting, for a lot of reasons. If the season ended today and the lottery shook out by the numbers, OKC would have 3 FRP. TOR would have 3 FRP plus the first pick in the second round. POR would have 2 FRP in the top 10. NOLA and NY would each have two FRP. And this is considered to be a weak draft. So many teams of the teams that would be looking to make a playoff push are encumbered by the Stepien Rule. 

I gotta think OKC is going to be active toward the deadline. They are at the top of the standings, have a screaming need for another big, and they don't have the throughput to take on 3 more rookies next year. They have 11 guys (not including their 3 two-way players) with three or fewer years of experience on their roster right now.

14 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Evan Mobley is finally back after missing about 2 months! He played 21 minutes, so it looks like they will ease him back into the lineup. Sadly it looks like Merrill's minutes are being cut back though, he was the hero off the bench the last few games. Team defense is now ranked 3rd in the NBA overall, but the offense is around 20th. Hopefully it gets better whenever Garland comes back.  I'm honestly surprised the Cavs have been able to maintain 60%+ win rate with all these injuries, it feels like the starting 5 haven't played together more than a couple games this season.  

Trade deadline in 9 days. 

I think this interesting, for a lot of reasons. If the season ended today and the lottery shook out by the numbers, OKC would have 3 FRP. TOR would have 3 FRP plus the first pick in the second round. POR would have 2 FRP in the top 10. NOLA and NY would each have two FRP. And this is considered to be a weak draft. So many teams of the teams that would be looking to make a playoff push are encumbered by the Stepien Rule. 
I gotta think OKC is going to be active toward the deadline. They are at the top of the standings, have a screaming need for another big, and they don't have the throughput to take on 3 more rookies next year. They have 11 guys (not including their 3 two-way players) with three or fewer years of experience on their roster right now.

That’s why I asked earlier this season. if teams refuse to trade with them and they’re over their roster limit with rookies and currently signed players…wtf happens?

They need a big like last month. Either Chet is hitting the rookie wall or he’s absolutely gassed from the grit of the season. Only has hit 20 pts once in the last 10 games. 3 pt shooting is off by 6 points vs December. Jwill left the game late with an injury and he’s kinda their PF.

Some decisions to be made and soon id imagine

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

That’s why I asked earlier this season. if teams refuse to trade with them and they’re over their roster limit with rookies and currently signed players…wtf happens?

They need a big like last month. Either Chet is hitting the rookie wall or he’s absolutely gassed from the grit of the season. Only has hit 20 pts once in the last 10 games. 3 pt shooting is off by 6 points vs December. Jwill left the game late with an injury and he’s kinda their PF.

They should try to get Nic Claxton from Brooklyn, he's on an expiring deal for 9m and shouldn't be too expensive. If they want to win a ring this year, they should also try to get Bridges in the deal and send out Bertans, Mann, Micic and picks in the deal. Adding Bridges and Claxton to that team would be insane, and Mikal has 2 more years on his deal at a very reasonable rate.

It's amazing how good OKC is right now and they dumped something like 25m in salary by waiving guys like Porter and Rudy Gay. They are in excellent cap position right now and should make a big splash now while they still have a bunch of cash to spend.  

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Either Chet is hitting the rookie wall or he’s absolutely gassed from the grit of the season. Only has hit 20 pts once in the last 10 games. 3 pt shooting is off by 6 points vs December.

He's a known quantity with a lot of tape now. Happens to everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

They should try to get Nic Claxton from Brooklyn, he's on an expiring deal for 9m and shouldn't be too expensive. If they want to win a ring this year, they should also try to get Bridges in the deal and send out Bertans, Mann, Micic and picks in the deal. Adding Bridges and Claxton to that team would be insane, and Mikal has 2 more years on his deal at a very reasonable rate.
It's amazing how good OKC is right now and they dumped something like 25m in salary by waiving guys like Porter and Rudy Gay. They are in excellent cap position right now and should make a big splash now while they still have a bunch of cash to spend.  

Those moves would make OKC an absolute beast. They need a point guard which could be had

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It's a little of both.  He's hitting the wall but they've played five games in seven days at this point and another five games in seven day stretch before that with most of these being on the road.  Lotta back to backs in there, too, obviously.

Men, get your pitchforks and torches ready!

Stephen Curry vs. Sabrina Ionescu 3-point challenge set for 2024 NBA All-Star Weekend

NEW YORK – NBA all-time 3-point leader and Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry and WNBA single-season 3-point record holder and New York Liberty guard Sabrina Ionescu will compete in “Stephen vs. Sabrina,” the first-ever NBA vs. WNBA 3-Point Challenge, which will take place on Saturday, Feb. 17 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis during State Farm All-Star Saturday Night.

The competition will air on TNT after the STARRY 3-Point Contest and before the AT&T Slam Dunk.  State Farm All-Star Saturday Night will begin at 8 p.m. ET.

As part of the competition, Curry’s Eat.Learn.Play. nonprofit and Ionescu’s SI20 Foundation will receive a donation from the NBA and WNBA.  In addition, each shot made by Curry and Ionescu will trigger a donation from State Farm to the NBA Foundation to support economic empowerment in the Black community.  Each regular 3-pointer made will be valued at $1,000, the money ball at $2,000 and the “STARRY Range Ball” – a deep 3-pointer from 29 feet, 9 inches away – at $3,000.

“Stephen vs. Sabrina” will follow standard STARRY 3-Point Contest rules.  Curry will shoot from the NBA 3-point line with NBA basketballs, and Ionescu will shoot from the WNBA 3-point line with WNBA basketballs.

Ionescu challenged Curry to a 3-point competition after she recorded 37 points (out of a possible 40 points) in the final round of the STARRY WNBA 3-Point Contest at AT&T WNBA All-Star 2023, setting a WNBA and NBA single-round event record and winning the contest for the first time.  Curry raised the challenge once again when he was mic’d up during Golden State’s Jan. 25 game against the Sacramento Kings on TNT.  Ionescu responded on social media officially accepting the challenge.

https://www.nba.com/news/2024-stephen-vs-sabrina-3-point-challenge

image.thumb.png.d1d313d59a84c4dadcc2560abee8a0fc.png

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I was about to say... they should shoot from the same line. 

Good for her. 

Good for Steph, too.  He's always been good about promoting the women's game.  

Can't wait for all the Joe Rogan bros to weigh in on this.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Good for Steph, too.  He's always been good about promoting the women's game.  

Can't wait for all the Joe Rogan bros to weigh in on this.

Yep, the he-man women haters clubs are going lose their shit

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

The Constitution and the Geneva Convention prohibit her by law from taking part in a 3 point competition against Steph Curry. 

I don't understand why people think that Caitlin Clark is some crazy phenomenon that's alien to women's sports. There is a fairly large number of WNBA players better than her. 

I guess it helps her case that women's college ball is a lot more popular. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't understand why people think that Caitlin Clark is some crazy phenomenon that's alien to women's sports. There is a fairly large number of WNBA players better than her. 

It would be a fun competition, dude.  And women's basketball needs the exposure.

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

YEP!!   It will be really interesting to see how well she plays in the W.   She's very good but she isnt better than the truly high level players currently in the league.   Also, I dont know that she would have the complete free rein that she does in college so it will also be interesting to see how she handles coaching that doesnt cater to her.  

I will say there is a new wave of girls coming that are fucking ballers.  Juju Watkins at USC is the main name to know.  She's been putting up historic numbers already as a freshman

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

YEP!!   It will be really interesting to see how well she plays in the W.   She's very good but she isnt better than the truly high level players currently in the league.   Also, I dont know that she would have the complete free rein that she does in college so it will also be interesting to see how she handles coaching that doesnt cater to her.  

I will say there is a new wave of girls coming that are fucking ballers.  Juju Watkins at USC is the main name to know.  She's been putting up historic numbers already as a freshman

Please don’t forget about our own freshman phenom Madison Booker! 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/30/2024 at 11:38 AM, Dutchrudder said:

Getting Claxton and Bridges would be amazing and giving up anything but SGA, Chet and Jalen would be on the table.  If Dort and Giddey also weren’t in it, that should be jumped all over. 

I’ve seen Poeltl, Wendell Carter Jr, Drummond /Vuceivic (neither of these please) as well for big men to OKC.  Kuzma is another interesting name I’ve seen.  I think for OKC Markkannan would be the biggest prize to grab but idk if picks and Giddey would be enough to get it done.  I also am in the belief that Giddey gets moved within the next year (not just cause of all the shit that happened, but because I don’t feel he’s got a spot on this team. He’s a less talented SGA. Has a lot of the same strengths and more weaknesses)

I don't see the Nets parting with Bridges under just about any circumstances. They already turned down (allegedly) 4 FRP for him last year. They don't own their own FRP for a few years so tanking does them no good. They have quite a few FRP coming to them down the road from Phoenix, Philly and Dallas, so how many more mid to late FRP move the needle for them? I don't see their motivation to move the main guy they are trying to build around. They can ride out Ben Simmons albatross of a contract for one more season, then they have basically a cleared out cap to go free agent hunting in the summer of 2025.