NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

15 hours ago, d2o said:

Yeah - I think this is the right take. 

People don't understand how big the gap between women's college and the WNBA is. It's much, much larger than the gap between men's D1 and the NBA.

That said - I wouldn't be surprised if she's immediately really good - but I wouldn't expect her to be. 

Edited by ztejas

25 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I think I read he cannot be miss more than 2 or 3 more games and still be eligible for MVP.

17 is the most you can miss. And you have to play 25 mins in the other 65.

31 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It’s pretty clear that this team belongs to Austin Reaves. Everyone else is just along for the ride.

It's pretty clear that some players play better without the weight of bron on their shoulders.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

That's an astounding loss by the Celtics.

Tatum and Brown 12 of 33 combined.

We got our ass beat. Played like shit. My dead mom and grandmother are kicking the crap out of Bird in his dreams.

I knew we were jinxed when TNT did the Bill Russel segment.

• Haha 2

The league has a problem with the 65 game rule. It has a problem with contracts being tied to post-season awards. It obviously has a problem with load management. I don't know how any of this gets fixed. 

Tyrese Halliburton is going to lose out on $40 million if he misses three more games this season and is ineligible to be all-NBA. What's worse, somebody else is probably going to be eligible for max money who did play 65 games and didn't deserve it. Some of the NBA writers who vote for the post season awards are even giving pushback because they feel weird about the impact of their votes. 

All of this is a mess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The league has a problem with the 65 game rule. It has a problem with contracts being tied to post-season awards. It obviously has a problem with load management. I don't know how any of this gets fixed. 

Tyrese Halliburton is going to lose out on $40 million if he misses three more games this season and is ineligible to be all-NBA. What's worse, somebody else is probably going to be eligible for max money who did play 65 games and didn't deserve it. Some of the NBA writers who vote for the post season awards are even giving pushback because they feel weird about the impact of their votes. 

All of this is a mess. 

Meh, playing 80% of the season to be eligible for awards isnt a major ask IMO.  There are always gonna be some issues with any rule.  Feel bad for Halliburton as he is legit injured but guys like Embiid, nah.   His bitch ass misses way too many games to have any gripe about it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

All of this is a mess. 

Thoughts and prayers for haliburton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

All of this is a mess. 

I look at the 65 games as rewarding those who stay healthy and play every night.  If you miss 17 games, that's over 20% of the season.  You don't deserve All-NBA or MVP if you play in less than 80% of the games.

Halliburton will have to survive on $40 million a year instead of $50 million.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

All of this is a mess. 

easy to root for this guy. btw- you have four villanova guards on one team, you have a back-to-being-really-good-again julius randle (out for a couple weeks, but still), you have a proven HC- are the knicks for real? not like title contenders for real, but maybe third best team in the east for real? they certainly seem to be greater than the sum of their parts.

17 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

He was already untradeable. They'd have to hand out a couple picks just to move off that contract now. 

I mean holy shit - this might be the worst contract in the league:

Screenshot_20240204_120246_Chrome.jpg.c26dff6b431f6785449fea3828b458ef.jpg

Here are some scorching advanced stats for Lavine in 25 GP:

PER - 15.1

WS/48 - .083

BPM - 0.0

EPM (my favorite catch-all rn) - +0.3

You can get better play from a typical MLE or guys on rookie deals. 

Edited by ztejas

That Cleveland has been the hottest team in the league sans Mobley & Garland has brought up some interesting debates about the best way forward for the team and this article does a good job of breaking it down.

https://theanalyst.com/na/2024/01/are-the-cleveland-cavaliers-better-without-darius-garland-and-evan-mobley/

Normally, a team can hide one little guy, especially when that guy is as talented of an offensive player as Garland is (93rd percentile in offensive DRIP). But the problem is he shares a backcourt with Donovan Mitchell (6-3). And it’s a lot harder to navigate having two smaller guys on defense than it is to have just one.

With Garland on the sidelines, Cleveland can play more defensive-first wings and forwards like Wade and Isaac Okoro. The latter is a below-average shooter for his position, but that’s OK because Cleveland is getting more spacing from the power forward spot without Mobley.

Strus’ years spent rising up the ranks of the Miami Heat organization have made him one of the more underrated perimeter defenders in basketball. He’s been one of the best acquisitions of the offseason. Among non-rookies, he ranks fourth in DELTA – a metric that tracks the improvement in a player’s DRIP since the start of the season.

To his credit, Mitchell has been super locked-in and engaged on the defensive side of the ball, as indicated by the fact that his steal rate this year is at a career-best 2.7%. And like CJ McCollum, he’s reaping the benefits of no longer sharing the backcourt with someone smaller than him. Now, he can draw the matchup against the other team’s weakest offensive player (an honor Garland normally gets).

With more defense and size on the floor, Cleveland has experienced an increase in its point-of-attack defense and rim protection (two important parts of great defenses).

What Does Cleveland Do Now?

This isn’t intended to be a demerit on Mobley and Garland’s individual excellence. The issue here is fit. Mobley and Allen have overlapping skills (defensive anchors who can’t stretch the floor). And so do Garland and Mitchell (undersized offensive stars).

Cleveland’s stars are redundant of each other. And redundancies produce inefficiencies. So, what do the Cavs do about this conundrum?

Some have suggested that Cleveland stagger the Garland/Mobley minutes from the Mitchell/Allen ones and let Garland/Mobley be flanked by shooters and defenders. Then, do the same with Mitchell/Allen. This way, you always have a dynamic duo on the court.

When you think about it, this formula isn’t too different from the theory of Mitchell’s old Utah Jazz team. Back then, the Jazz would try to surround Mitchell and Rudy Gobert with as much shooting and defense as possible. This model leads to great regular-season success. But as we saw in Utah, the ceiling of a team like this is limited. 

The reason for this is the role players sharing the court with them are flawed. We’ll keep the focus on Cleveland here and look at Okoro. He’s a great defender, but we saw last year that his offensive limitations can get him played off the floor in the playoffs.

Merrill is a wickedly good shooter, but his size will make him a moving target on defense. Wade is hitting shots now, but will this hold up in the postseason? Niang only averaged 14.3 minutes per game during the playoffs last year. And the Philadelphia 76ers were a minus-3.9 per 100 in his minutes.

Cleveland can be a great regular-season team by following this strategy. But if the Cavs want to win big in the playoffs, they need to consider trading one or two of their core four to acquire a two-way wing/forward or two that they can trust in the postseason.

This isn’t a bad problem to have. All four of those guys are valuable assets who could net Cleveland the player(s) it needs in a trade. It’s just about the front office pushing the right button on who it trades and who it gets back.

But if they do, watch out for the Cavaliers. With the right move, they could compete for an NBA title.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Larry David was on the Bill Simmons podcast this week to promote the new Season of Curb.  Towards the beginning of the pod they talk a little about Doc Rivers and Bill says to Larry that he must be really sad because he loses his golfing buddy.  Larry agrees, but then goes on to poke at Doc saying everyone is really sad to lose Doc at the club because he's "a big loser on the golf course." They have a good laugh and speculate that he's only taking the Bucks job because of the perks and free things that the team pays for, because "That's why he's in Milwaukee! He will go to any ends of the earth to not pay for something!"