NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

6 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Almost starting to feel bad for Gobert. Tons of accolades but it feels like he going to be the new Javale McGee among the NBA stratosphere. He is kind of like a 7'3 Charlie Brown. 

Minny about to be in contract hell.  They're paying KAT and Gobert both way too much and now Ant is coming up for a deal.

I mean, really, season on the line there with the last shot and KAT isn't even on the floor?  He's going to make $50M next year nd $60M in 2028.  Then throw in his injury history.

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Minny about to be in contract hell.  They're paying KAT and Gobert both way too much and now Ant is coming up for a deal.

I mean, really, season on the line there with the last shot and KAT isn't even on the floor?  He's going to make $50M next year nd $60M in 2028.  Then throw in his injury history.

can’t you just trade one of them to Detroit? Or Charlotte?

Gobert easily the more tradeable asset. No one’s gonna want kats deal seeing how he does under the lights. He’s been pretty good this playoff leading up to the WCF.

Goberts got a shorter deal and less money.

6 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

So like Gobert and 3 more first round picks in exchange for a bucket of dirty jockstraps?

2 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Curious how many of the approximately 253 dunks by Dallas big men were with Gobert on the floor?

Either way, such an overrated DPOY.

Mavs have been dunking on everybody since the trade deadline. 

I don’t know. Lots of big dudes are gonna look like they have skates on when isolated up top against Luka. Minny has no good solution against him in this series. 

Towns has flat sucked for two games which is why they’re down 2-0. Dallas can protect the rim unlike Denver so Ant’s been slowed down. 

Nobody is trading for Gobert. There would be a long line to trade for KAT. 

I don't often give Jason Kidd credit for his coaching, but not letting Tim Hardaway Jr. play enough minutes to shoot a basketball the deeper they've gotten into the postseason has been pretty savvy.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, MrX said:

There would be a long line to trade for KAT. 

Man, you sure about that? Who? You simply can't pay a non superstar that you didn't draft that kind of money and have any chance at winning. His ridiculous contact doesn't even start until next year.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Man, you sure about that? Who? You simply can't pay a non superstar that you didn't draft that kind of money and have any chance at winning. His ridiculous contact doesn't even start until next year.

**The Washington Wizards have entered the chat**

Kevin Love would have defended better here than Rudy. I think the Twolves need to fight harder through the screens on PnR, they swapped a lot and gave Dallas exactly who they wanted to attack many times. It was a 2 point game, letting them drive to the rim with the roller getting free would have been better than letting them shoot a 3. Would have had plenty of time to score the last shot for the win if they did make another dunk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Series ain't over ladies.

Agreed.  Dallas won Game 1 108-105 and Game 2 109-108; Minny had leads late in the game and just couldn't hold on and I attribute that to a lack of experience in those situations.  Just 1 or 2 sequences could have changed the outcome of both games (e.g., that disastrous ending to the first half in Game 1 and the turnover by ANT + isoing Gobert on Luka at the end of Game 2).

These calls for Minny to blow it up and trade everybody brings the lulz.

It's more about experience in those situations and Dallas has Luka & Kyrie.

Edited by Message Board User

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Agreed.  Dallas won Game 1 108-105 and Game 2 109-108; Minny had leads late in the game and just couldn't hold on and I attribute that to a lack of experience in those situations.  Just 1 or 2 sequences could have changed the outcome of both games (e.g., that disastrous ending to the first half in Game 1 and the turnover by ANT + isoing Gobert on Luka at the end of Game 2).

These calls for Minny to blow it up and trade everybody brings the lulz.

It's more about experience in those situations and Dallas has Luka & Kyrie.

While I agree that Minnesota can still make this a series (and they're 5-1 on the road this postseason), they have some deeper issues right now beyond just inexperience on a few key possessions. Raise your hand if you had Dallas's big men having the advantage, and Minnesota getting toasted in the paint with easy baskets. KAT will play better--he can't play worse--but good luck relying on him to be good to great in 4 of the next 5 games.

Do they change their defensive philosophy that has been #1 in the NBA all season, and fight harder to avoid switching? Maybe have Rudy hedge on Luke/Kyrie and recover back to his man? Does he have the foot speed to do that? 

Ant's going to be a legitimate superstar in this league, and I expect him to be excellent in a Game 3 win, but his coronation was a little premature. Asking a 22 year old to truly carry an offense and a team game in and game out over 2 months of playoff basketball is a huge ask.

No, obviously Minnesota shouldn't blow it up, even if they lose this series. They're a legitimate contender for an NBA title. Don't pull a Presti and trade Harden when you're on the doorstep. Plus, they wouldn't get much for Gobert or KAT, just some draft picks and expirings (I'm legitimately serious that KAT is virtually untradable). But, damn, they're going to get crazy expensive very quickly.

10 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Almost starting to feel bad for Gobert. Tons of accolades but it feels like he going to be the new Javale McGee among the NBA stratosphere. He is kind of like a 7'3 Charlie Brown. 

No tears for Goobert.  He gave a cheap shot forearm shiver to Luka in the first half to stop a fast break.  Punk.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Mittens said:

I'm sure you were very upset for the fans when Tatum was playing with a broken wrist in the '22 playoffs or rolled his ankle in G7 of last year's ECF.  We can pull your posts where you lamented the lessened fan experience when both teams weren't at full strength, yes?  Not that Boston deserved the loss when their All-NBA forward couldn't walk?  

Boston beat those teams at full strength during the regular season, so it's not like they're getting over on a better team.  Would it have been more entertaining if all the series were going 7?  Sure.  You're whining about something that no one has any control over.  Life isn't fair - if it was, we'd all have giant crabs in our bathrooms.

By all means go into my posting history and you won’t have to go too far to find me complaining uniformly about the nba playoffs being crushed by injury. I hate it. This isn’t me whining about the Celtics even though they are benefitting in a historic way from other teams injuries. It sucks as a fan. And fyi it’s not just the teams they are facing that you keep throwing out the irrelevant regular season records about, it’s also the other injured teams they got to avoid (Knicks, Bucks, Sixers). Nothing against the Celtics and I’m not trying to say they aren’t good or take anything away from them, but this is the biggest cakewalk to the finals probably in NBA history.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

Gobert vs virtually anyone for being over hyped fraud is going to be Gobert by a landslide.

Just watch how Doncic taunted him. That wouldn't happen with any other defender. He'd just mean mug the crowd or something.

Every year The Athletic does anonymous NBA player voting pick the best players, incl. defensive player. It isn't ever Gobert. This year it was overwhelmingly Wemby and rightly so. Last year Jrue Holiday. The players know.

And there's this.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40002092/nba-playoffs-2024-why-do-many-players-beef-rudy-gobert

The Timberwolves struggled as Gobert dealt with knee issues and a calf injury sidelined fellow 7-footer Karl-Anthony Towns for much of the season. Minnesota went 42-40, needing the second play-in game to secure the Western Conference's eighth seed. And Gobert didn't get a single vote for the All-Defensive teams, snapping a streak of six straight first-team selections.

So Gobert reached out to NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers, seeking insight from one of sports' most polarizing players after being connected by a mutual acquaintance.

But he didn't want to discuss professional challenges with Rodgers, who had just been traded to the New York Jets after a legendary 18-year run with the Green Bay Packers. Gobert wanted to inquire about Rodgers' experience at the Sky Cave Dark Retreats in southern Oregon.

Gobert has always been "eclectic," to use two-time teammate Mike Conley's description. He often wears necklaces and rings that feature crystals and gems that supposedly possess healing powers and provide energy. Gobert had long been intrigued by the idea of a darkness retreat.

And for nearly all of this 11-year NBA career, that reality for Gobert has often been near-relentless derision.

Some of that scorn has been self-inflicted, such as in March 2020, when Gobert jokingly touched all the microphones and tape recorders during his first socially distanced media availability -- only to become the first NBA player to test positive for COVID-19 just days later.

Just like Rodgers. He's a fucking idiot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

By all means go into my posting history and you won’t have to go too far to find me complaining uniformly about the nba playoffs being crushed by injury. I hate it. This isn’t me whining about the Celtics even though they are benefitting in a historic way from other teams injuries. It sucks as a fan. And fyi it’s not just the teams they are facing that you keep throwing out the irrelevant regular season records about, it’s also the other injured teams they got to avoid (Knicks, Bucks, Sixers). Nothing against the Celtics and I’m not trying to say they aren’t good or take anything away from them, but this is the biggest cakewalk to the finals probably in NBA history.

Not sure how much it would have mattered in a really bad East--even for already low Eastern Conference standards--but yeah, having the 3 non-Celtic Eastern All-NBA selections and last year's MVP all hobbled or out at some point has been a bummer.

While I agree that Minnesota can still make this a series (and they're 5-1 on the road this postseason), they have some deeper issues right now beyond just inexperience on a few key possessions. Raise your hand if you had Dallas's big men having the advantage, and Minnesota getting toasted in the paint with easy baskets. KAT will play better--he can't play worse--but good luck relying on him to be good to great in 4 of the next 5 games.
Do they change their defensive philosophy that has been #1 in the NBA all season, and fight harder to avoid switching? Maybe have Rudy hedge on Luke/Kyrie and recover back to his man? Does he have the foot speed to do that? 
Ant's going to be a legitimate superstar in this league, and I expect him to be excellent in a Game 3 win, but his coronation was a little premature. Asking a 22 year old to truly carry an offense and a team game in and game out over 2 months of playoff basketball is a huge ask.
No, obviously Minnesota shouldn't blow it up, even if they lose this series. They're a legitimate contender for an NBA title. Don't pull a Presti and trade Harden when you're on the doorstep. Plus, they wouldn't get much for Gobert or KAT, just some draft picks and expirings (I'm legitimately serious that KAT is virtually untradable). But, damn, they're going to get crazy expensive very quickly.

Sometimes a team just needs a road trip. Be together today/tonight/tomorrow all before the game. Clean up some bullshit and hopefully take game 3.

If they can win 3 games in Denver they can win a couple in Dallas. Kats shooting splits between road and home games are like 20%. Just a huge let down. Even if he plays half as good as he played vs Denver or phoenix, wolves probably win at least 1 of these. He should be posting up and once he gets the rock, make a move. Washington isn’t strong enough to stop that. Don’t catch, turn, survey, backdown…hasnt worked much this series. He needs to be making a move instantly

I don’t have much faith in pulling this out. If we win decisively tomorrow then that changes. But Dallas either kyrie is cooking or Lukas cooking. And both are good enough to hit dagger 3s or set up lobs for the bigs. At least Washington, DJJ, THJ, exum etc have been held in check. Just need to cut the bullshit

We also need to realize naz, and mcdaniels aren’t going to always have hot games from 3. Wasting these with 2 losses is inexcusable

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Not sure how much it would have mattered in a really bad East--even for already low Eastern Conference standards--but yeah, having the 3 non-Celtic Eastern All-NBA selections and last year's MVP all hobbled or out at some point has been a bummer.

*and Donovan Mitchell.

I feel like a lot of people are looking at this series from Minnesota's perspective: what they're doing wrong, how they'd win if Edwards and KAT hit shots, etc.

PJ Washington and Derrick Jones Jr are 2-17 from three in this series. The wings haven't come close to matching their performance from the first two rounds. If the role players start knocking down shots, there could be a blowout .

Posted (edited)

Ridiculous performance by celtics thus far.  Beating Indy tonight is so easy -- overrated celtics struggling.

Terrible basketball... 

Edited by LTtxfan
Fuckin' Autocorrect