2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

the suns were flopping everywhere.  It is embarrassing.  I blame the Euro/Soccer guys bringing that shit here. Luka does it too. At least when the celtics and lakers were going at it there was no flopping, people were really getting hammered.  The whining is hilarious and has been since the Duncan(incredulous look) days.  I still think Duncan believes he never fouled anyone in 20 years.  and yes Luka does it also.

as for the game yeah it is boring.  kind of like an all star game with a bit more of effort on defense and on the boards but not much more.

It would be interesting if they moved the 3point line back and also took away the corner 3 by having the 3pt line just go to the sideline.

The NBPA will fight for those 3-and-D jobs.  There’s probably 60 guys in the NBA whose only purpose is to play defense, stand in the corner on offense, and bang home a decent percentage of wide open corner looks.

• Hook 'Em 1

The NBPA will fight for those 3-and-D jobs.  There’s probably 60 guys in the NBA whose only purpose is to play defense, stand in the corner on offense, and bang home a decent percentage of wide open corner looks.
KCP has 2 rings playing that role. You have to have one on your team if you are serious about winning.

It’s a little sad that he had to play enough of the fourth quarter to get to 73.  On a healthy team he sits the 4th because we’re up 20 and ends up with 60 something.

You don’t sit a guy sitting on 60 in the 4th. But overall, complaint is valid

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s a little sad that he had to play enough of the fourth quarter to get to 73.  On a healthy team he sits the 4th because we’re up 20 and ends up with 60 something.

At 73 points, he still didn’t account for at least half of the Mac’s’ points.

This isn’t the “Bad Boys” Detroit Piston’s NBA.

The guy who designs these is a Boston guy who does a jersey for every Celtics win, but he also does one for every 50pt game in the league.  This one is pretty dope.  Go give it a like if you're buy one and they'll make it at 250 likes. 

The guy who designed 4 this week:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2024 at 11:45 PM, Napoleon said:

At 73 points, he still didn’t account for at least half of the Mac’s’ points.

This isn’t the “Bad Boys” Detroit Piston’s NBA.

On 1/27/2024 at 12:19 PM, 'stache said:

Great performance but damn that final score is asinine. It’s one thing for a guy to go off and be unstoppable but both teams in the 140s? Fucking ridiculous. 

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39422492/jason-kidd-luka-doncic-better-dirk-nowitzki-realm-michael-jordan

LOL, I don't follow this thread but I'm assuming Dallas fans realize Kidd is a moron.  But to say Luka is not only better than Dirk but in Jordan's stratosphere is laughable.  I believe Jordan played a little D, maybe that's my old ass being biased. 

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This team is built wrong. Fire Kidd, trade Kyrie and THJ for a few players and a lot of picks.

The team building issue started in 2019 when they went "all-in" to get KP. That deal is still killing them from having any meaningful draft assets to use. Then they traded Harrison Barnes, who could have been a very good 3rd option, for cap space and then proceeded to not do a damn thing with it. Then the Brunson mishap. They've just stacked so many bad choices on top of one another that there just isn't a good way out.  An underrated one was not getting a fucking draft pick when Carlisle went to the Pacers. We just let him walk to another team without any compensation. 

Then, to make things even greater, they decided to hire a mediocre coach with a mediocre track record and, shockingly, they are getting mediocre results. The roster mismanagement is not Kidd's fault, but he is a clown and this team should have a way better record than it does despite the injuries.

I think Nico is doing a decent job with the hand he was dealt. Lively is a huge win and I think OMax will be a player in a couple of years. The roster is better than it was last season, there just isn't a quick fix to this. They're going to have to keep drafting well and make decent upgrades via trade. They actually have young, tradeable players now which is a huge upgrade compared to the past few years. 

The only thing that's fixable this season is the coach. That needs to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This team is built wrong. Fire Kidd, trade Kyrie and THJ for a few players and a lot of picks.

Avery was fired not long after getting to the Finals and then having a 67 win season the next year. The same thing needs to happen to Kidd. He makes Avery look like Phil Jackson.

• Hook 'Em 1

PJ Washington and 2 seconds for Grant Williams, Seth Curry and a top 2 protected FRP. Very happy they didn't move Green after all the rumors lately. Would have led to a lot more of the Luka-Kyrie-THJ defensive nightmare we've gotten used to. It looks like the seconds in this deal are the ones going to Washington in the Gafford deal. 

Edited by ITHorn

Maybe overpaid but have meaningful depth for the first time in recent memory.
Yes I don't like the PJ trade because of what we gave up. But I like PJ as a player. A lot. It just leaves a bitter taste because we should always have made PJ Washington our main target this summer instead of Grant Williams and now I feel like it has cost us two first rounders to correct this mistake.

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
8 minutes ago, Henry Hill said:
Maybe overpaid but have meaningful depth for the first time in recent memory.

Yes I don't like the PJ trade because of what we gave up. But I like PJ as a player. A lot. It just leaves a bitter taste because we should always have made PJ Washington our main target this summer instead of Grant Williams and now I feel like it has cost us two first rounders to correct this mistake.

Fair points. 

i saw we gave OKC swap rights to our 2028 first rounder in exchange for their least favorable 2024 first rounder, which we then sent to washington.  so washington ended up sending us gafford and two 2nd rounders.  i'm liking the gafford trade less for that.  

if i haven't mixed anything up, the only tradable first round draft capital we have now are our picks in 2025 and 2031.  we've issued swap rights for 2028 (OKC) and 2030 (SA). i suppose we could issue another swap right for 2026 but that's it.  

• 2024 1st (owed to Knicks top 10 protected)
  • 2025 1st (owed to Knicks top 10 protected if 2024 fails to convey)
  • 2026 1st
  • 2027 1st (owed to Hornets top 2 protected)
  • 2028 1st (Thunder own swap rights)
  • 2029 1st (owed to Nets)
  • 2030 1st (Spurs own swap rights)

23 hours ago, RexWilson said:

I like it. Starting 5 of Kyrie, Luka, Green, PJ, Lively. Bench rotation ofTHJ, Gafford, Exum, Jones Jr, Hardy.

Everyone else should be limited minutes. 

You just named 10 players. Not really  short rotation. You forgot Kleber and Powell. Or maybe you didn’t. I don’t ever want to see Powell play. 

These are two excellent trades. We have significantly improved our roster. 

22 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i saw we gave OKC swap rights to our 2028 first rounder in exchange for their least favorable 2024 first rounder, which we then sent to washington.  so washington ended up sending us gafford and two 2nd rounders.  i'm liking the gafford trade less for that.  

if i haven't mixed anything up, the only tradable first round draft capital we have now are our picks in 2025 and 2031.  we've issued swap rights for 2028 (OKC) and 2030 (SA). i suppose we could issue another swap right for 2026 but that's it.  

These were both no brainer trades where the Mavs fleeced teams. You vastly overrate draft picks, particularly 2nd round picks. 

39 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

These were both no brainer trades where the Mavs fleeced teams. You vastly overrate draft picks, particularly 2nd round picks. 

we absolutely did not fleece anyone.  what you would've given charlotte two first rounders for washington?  maybe thrown in josh green's poison pilled contract? or maybe you would've given washington more for gafford? 

i don't know where you get the idea i value 2nd round picks.  if i'm overrating 2nd rounders i would be glad to have washington send us two of them.  i view them as disposable, which if anything is undervaluing them since it's not long ago we've drafted contributors like jaden hardy and jalen brunson with them.

maybe i do overrate first round picks- but i don't think so.  teams around the nba highly value them as trade assets and seek as many as they can get in return.  also we're seeing how big of an effect derreck lively has on our team.  first round picks are important.  

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

we absolutely did not fleece anyone.  what you would've given charlotte two first rounders for washington?  maybe thrown in josh green's poison pilled contract? or maybe you would've given washington more for gafford? 

i don't know where you get the idea i value 2nd round picks.  if i'm overrating 2nd rounders i would be glad to have washington send us two of them.  i view them as disposable, which if anything is undervaluing them since it's not long ago we've drafted contributors like jaden hardy and jalen brunson with them.

maybe i do overrate first round picks- but i don't think so.  teams around the nba highly value them as trade assets and seek as many as they can get in return.  also we're seeing how big of an effect derreck lively has on our team.  first round picks are important.  

Let’s distinguish between the roster today and yesterday morning. It is markedly improved.  And regardless of Williams being an ill fit from the outset and us not pursuing Washington instead, I view this purely from the perspective of the team over the last 30 hours. Would you agree with this?

10 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Let’s distinguish between the roster today and yesterday morning. It is markedly improved.  And regardless of Williams being an ill fit from the outset and us not pursuing Washington instead, I view this purely from the perspective of the team over the last 30 hours. Would you agree with this?

Well you can’t ignore the first round draft rights that have been lost through this whole process. That would be an incorrect comparison. And while you may not think much of first round draft picks, anything in the top 15 can be game changing for a franchise. 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

I read your first explanation of the Gafford deal and was commenting on that. I know now we gave up a first rounder next year and in ‘27 for these two guys. The pick this year should be a bottom 5-7. Who knows in ‘27. 

We’re getting a more advanced Lively in Gafford, and we sorely need him with Lively injuries. We’re getting a 3rd/4th scoring option with PJ. I expect him to pretty quickly start at the 4. Gafford could start as well if Lively is down, and if he’s healthy, we get a guy that’ll be in a shortened playoff rotation at worst. If you told me we got two possible starters, both 25 that both help interior D (particularly Gafford who’s more effective than Lively), that bring a combined 24.5 ppg and 13.3 rpg (both in fewer than 29 mpg), I’d part with two first round picks that are sure to be low, and probably non-lottery in ‘27. 

I’m not sold on some newfound ability to draft by this franchise yet, and it’s a crapshoot at best even then. Yes, we might miss out on a Josh Howard, but how many of those have we made?  I like the Washington deal better because we have an opportunity to get a Brunson quality player next year. It’s sure to be a high second rounder. 

Clearly our roster was top heavy and pretty meh in the other starters and rotation guys.  We now have significantly upgraded the talent level of the team, addressed significant needs, and gave up nothing, and we are not likely to have given up much after these drafts. 

30 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Well you can’t ignore the first round draft rights that have been lost through this whole process. That would be an incorrect comparison. And while you may not think much of first round draft picks, anything in the top 15 can be game changing for a franchise. 

I’m intentionally forgetting mistakes made in the offseason. It would’ve taken more to get PJ than Williams anyway. Moving forward, these were both good moves. 

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I’m kind of meh on Dinwiddie at this point. I guess he could be a decent fill-in when KI inevitably gets hurt again, but I’m not really interested in him playing a ton of meaningful minutes. 

Yep - cheap depth option

Looks like he’s LA bound

Absolutely