Shogun

CooterBrown

Posted (edited)
Spoiler

Yeah I wish I finished the book before watching this one. I can’t tell if they speeding things up, or if they’re deviating from the book. 

Probably doesn’t matter. It’s still good TV. 

Toranaga always has something up his sleeve. Lady Ochiba laid it on pretty thick in the last episode. 

Imagine Littlefinger with a Stark bloodline and you have Toranaga. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

Not much happening in this episode til the end.  I guess that Toranaga and Blackthorne have something up their sleeves.

I'm hoping to see Blackthorne finally earn his keep.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9526j0frfdnbh2fioej87

• Hook 'Em 2

Spoiler

Wait, just so I’m clear… at the end did Nagakado go solo to the willow world to kill Saeki of his own volition…. Failed and then just slipped and died? Or was he killed? Was Kiku in on it? 

I liked the final scene. It shattered the myth of a glorious death in battle. 

Naga seemed like a bitch, and he died a bitch’s death. 

Spoiler

Off the top of my head, Toranaga has at least 3 maybe 4 living sons including Naga in the book. Our man gets busy. I think it’s too late in the show to introduce a new major character, so we probably won’t see the other 2 in the show. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I liked the final scene. It shattered the myth of a glorious death in battle. 

Naga seemed like a bitch, and he died a bitch’s death. 

Hide contents

Off the top of my head, Toranaga has at least 3 maybe 4 living sons including Naga in the book. Our man gets busy. I think it’s too late in the show to introduce a new major character, so we probably won’t see the other 2 in the show. 

Spoiler

other than using them to establish marriage ties with the other warlord families, i don't remember his sons doing anything of note in the books.  am i forgetting anything?

1 minute ago, gsoda3 said:
  Hide contents

other than using them to establish marriage ties with the other warlord families, i don't remember his sons doing anything of note in the books.  am i forgetting anything?

Spoiler

You’re right. Naga is the only son present with Toranaga in the books. 

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Yeah I wish I finished the book before watching this one. I can’t tell if they speeding things up, or if they’re deviating from the book. 

Probably doesn’t matter. It’s still good TV. 

Toranaga always has something up his sleeve. Lady Ochiba laid it on pretty thick in the last episode. 

Imagine Littlefinger with a Stark bloodline and you have Toranaga. 

image.gif.515c5cfcd33ac8ac8109325374588d9e.gif

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I keep getting a Mack Brown vibe during the dialogue(s).  All ass kissing and platitudes.  

I assume that is part of the Japanese face culture. It's present in Tokyo Vice as well. Nobody is very blunt in either show. Except that one scene where Jake the gaigin lost his cool at work and freaked everyone out.

Maybe Mack is Japanese.

• Haha 1

I finished the book earlier today. I wanted to be ready for tomorrow and spot deviations from the book.

Spoiler

The book was terrific, but the ending was weak. Basically a paragraph recapping the final battle and the outcome. I hope the show gives us an actual battle scene. I’ll give the showrunners a ton of rope here because we’re never getting another novel from James Clavell.

Clavell was more interested in samurai culture/politics and character studies than battle sequences. The Ringer compared it to a samurai Jane Austen book. 

I finished the book earlier today. I wanted to be ready for tomorrow and spot deviations from the book.
Spoiler

The book was terrific, but the ending was weak. Basically a paragraph recapping the final battle and the outcome. I hope the show gives us an actual battle scene. I’ll give the showrunners a ton of rope here because we’re never getting another novel from James Clavell.
Clavell was more interested in samurai culture/politics and character studies than battle sequences. The Ringer compared it to a samurai Jane Austen book. 

Samurai Jane Austen is perfect.

Just watched epi 8.

tea room convo! Also wondering where they're going with him not meeting his crew

i don't know how long we're putting plot elements under spoilter tags but just in case...

i wish the showrunners would have spent a little more time fleshing out why mariko hates buntaro so much.  in the book, not only does buntaro not support her emotionally during her exile he actually exacts a measure of revenge on her by proxy. he hates that she becomes a christian convert and during her exile, where she's protected by the catholics, he has her household servants killed and has the nose of her main lady's maid  cut off. she swears to never sleep with him again, that she'll kill herself if he does even if it means going against his and toranaga's orders to stay alive. he tries to that one night he and anjin get drunk and when she holds firm he beats her. anjin sees the aftermath of that. 

for the record, in the book the tea ceremony is described in an incredibly detailed and rich way.  it's different from the show.  for one it's held the night before they leave anjiro.  buntaro puts a lot of planning and preparation into the tea service and pulls it off so exquisitely that mariko is impressed and decides she is ready to move past whatever happened in the past.  during the ceremony, seppuku is discussed by both of them and they are both willing to die as husband and wife but choose instead to complete their service to toranaga.  as a result, they agree to a fresh start as husband and wife when the leaves start falling.  mariko leaves in peace, buntaro does cry afterward b/c he's convinced she cheated on him with anjin.

• Hook 'Em 4

Spoiler

I hope the showrunners are deviating from the novel to create a more climatic ending. The last 20% of the book are a slog. Toranga delays and plots , and everyone wonders what the hell he's thinking. Blackthorne is basically lost mentally, recovers some, and has one last verbal showdown. It picks up in the last couple chapters, but the book's climax occurs at the 75-80% mark. It's an odd way to construct a book, but Easter isn't the ending of The Bible. I'm sure Clavell's editors begged him to change/lengthen the ending, but he was a notorious prick. He probably told them to fuck off and publish it. I guess it worked out for everybody. 

21 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Wow. 

Hide contents

Your son as your second gotta be next level hardcore 

and yet its still not as hardcore as having to murk your baby son... all because you goofed up in a meeting!

Jeesh episode 8 hurt…

My wife was super pissed at the Hiromatsu scene… I just kept saying that’s going too far to convince a spy that you are submitting…. Heartbreaking scene

We were both saying damn that badass cold-blooded during the tea scene.

This show has been amazing