Shogun

CooterBrown

Really liking it so far, but wish Cosmo would dial it back a little.

It's like he went to the Charlton Heston school over over acting.  I keep waiting for him to scream "damn dirty apes" at the Japanese.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I tried to wait for more episodes. Honestly I did.

And now I’m screwed and thinking about how GOT S1 got me stuck reading 6k pages.

Does Welles do the audible? Wouldn’t that be something?

7 hours ago, utee94 said:

Oh man not me.  I love poring through a weighty tome, turning page after page, watching the remainder dwindle through time and dreading the moment I turn that final page and end the story.  Tablets can never duplicate that feeling.

I hear you. But for me, the many conveniences of reading on a Kindle outweigh that feeling.  Those include instant (and often free) access, perfect lighting, built-in dictionaries, indexes of characters, portability, bookmarks and highlighting. But to each his own. Whatever encourages you to read more is the correct medium. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)

I started reading on a Kindle while traveling overseas for long work stretches and couldn’t carry enough books to get through the trip. 

Loved the first two episodes. My wife doesn’t generally like shows with lots of sex and nudity so trying to gauge if this is something she would enjoy or not. GOT definitely not. 

Edited by CycleTex87

2 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Loved the first two episodes. My wife doesn’t generally like shows with lots of sex and nudity so trying to gauge if this is something she would enjoy or not. GOT definitely not. 

As far as I remember, there's only been one sex scene so far and it was pretty tame and quick (so basically like my sex life). You could always cover her eyes during the bad parts. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah I don’t get the lots of sex comments from critics. They receive screeners so I assume more is coming in episodes 3 and 4. 

The sex scene in episode 2 is odd, but pretty tame. Some boobs and that’s it. No full frontal like GOT. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I think the scene Bill refers to is actually in episode 1, but yes short and tame in comparison to any of the scenes from GOT.  13 yr old me would’ve gone crazy but these days network commercials are racier sometimes. 

If you haven't read the book, you're in for a treat. One of the treats is that this series has strayed pretty far from the sequence of events in the book. I've read it more than once.

I'm only so-so on the series. I think it was a mistake to start the story in the capital where all the characters are gathered. It's hard to keep straight who is doing what and why. The book and original series (also very good, but it's been a long while since I've seen it) start with the ship and the village and lingers there for awhile. Both are easier to follow.

I think they're relying too much on the politics to drive the story. It's all so serious, but it's hard for me to care much.

They are clearly doing as they announced, gunning to be GOT. This show needs some fucking Lannisters. They need a Ronin like Bronn (Watch Mifune in his movies). They need to loosen this thing up a little.

Cosmo is killing this show. I keep expecting him to break out of character (to whatever degree he ever really is in character) wink at the screen and ask, "How you liking my Richard Burton impression?" So many fantastic British actors, and we get this clown. A lot of good Australians, too. Americans usually don't do British very well.

Mariko looks a little too modern. It's dumb that they made her a great fighter.

Production values are top notch. Pacing is solid. I'll keep watching hoping that the story finds its way. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Episode 3 - Hell yes. 

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Is this story completely fictional or does it have ties to Japanese history? Are we going to get into Edo Japan and the Tokugawa Shogunate?

Based on historical characters. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

He changed the clan names, but it roughly follows Japanese history.  It would be real neat if this led to a series about the The Taiko because he is fascinating.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/6/2024 at 10:26 AM, RomaVicta said:

If you haven't read the book, you're in for a treat. One of the treats is that this series has strayed pretty far from the sequence of events in the book. I've read it more than once.

I'm only so-so on the series. I think it was a mistake to start the story in the capital where all the characters are gathered. It's hard to keep straight who is doing what and why. The book and original series (also very good, but it's been a long while since I've seen it) start with the ship and the village and lingers there for awhile. Both are easier to follow.

I think they're relying too much on the politics to drive the story. It's all so serious, but it's hard for me to care much.

They are clearly doing as they announced, gunning to be GOT. This show needs some fucking Lannisters. They need a Ronin like Bronn (Watch Mifune in his movies). They need to loosen this thing up a little.

Cosmo is killing this show. I keep expecting him to break out of character (to whatever degree he ever really is in character) wink at the screen and ask, "How you liking my Richard Burton impression?" So many fantastic British actors, and we get this clown. A lot of good Australians, too. Americans usually don't do British very well.

Mariko looks a little too modern. It's dumb that they made her a great fighter.

Production values are top notch. Pacing is solid. I'll keep watching hoping that the story finds its way. 

Just started the book. Pretty great. Cosmo Jarvis sounds exactly like the voice actor Ralph Lister. Methinks that’s where Cosmo drew his inspiration. 

32 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Couldn't agree more. 

Is it too late for a recast?  Every time he speaks it ruins the scene.

He’s an insufferable hard man type that’s obsessed becoming a famous English explorer like Francis Drake. I think he’s approaching the role with a voice actor’s overacting approach with some Richard Burton sprinkled in. I expect he’ll cool it down if/when his character gets to a comfortable place. 

NoBookFag but “reading” the book. 

Posted (edited)
Spoiler

Continuing on the Shogun - GOT comparison. Toranaga reminds me of Ned. Answers the call of his king, but he knows he’s entering a trap. Toranaga is smart enough/willing to ignore honor to disguise himself as a woman to escape. Yoshi’s motivations will be an interesting reveal, but Ned would much rather take the sword than escape like that. 

I love GRRM when he’s writing, but hot diggity damn, imagine a world where Ned escapes to The North and marches on Kings Landing. I. Am. Here. For. It. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He’s an insufferable hard man type that’s obsessed becoming a famous English explorer like Francis Drake. I think he’s approaching the role with a voice actor’s overacting approach with some Richard Burton sprinkled in. I expect he’ll cool it down if/when his character gets to a comfortable place. 

NoBookFag but “reading” the book. 

i think he's trying to differentiate his English from his Latin from his Portuguese by changing his accent. I dunno

Anyone else get distracted by the camerawork in the indoor scenes? They often shoot with heavy barrel distortion which makes all the lines curvy and its extremely distracting to me because i cant unsee it

Ftby7.jpg

21 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

90% subtitles is just too much to keep straight for my booze addled brain.

I can do a show in Spanish because I speak the language..sort of. Enough to at least not have to stare at the subtitles the entire viewing.

Subtitles are rough when you’re drinking for sure. Sober viewings only going forward. 

Narcos Mexico was easier because Spanish is much more familiar in Texas, and most of us understand common words. 

On 3/4/2024 at 10:14 PM, WBT said:

The book is 1300 pages?  And $50 for hardcover?

On 3/5/2024 at 6:44 PM, TonyTexas said:

$32 on Amazon. But, because of the heft, Shogun is a book made for Kindle. 

Heh, just realized I bought it for Kindle on sale for $1.99 last August.  Buying Kindle books on sale is one of my more hoarder-worthy habits but paid off here.  They're now only selling it in 2 parts and want $8.99 for each one.

Bookfag talk not going away.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Heh, just realized I bought it for Kindle on sale for $1.99 last August.  Buying Kindle books on sale is one of my more hoarder-worthy habits but paid off here.  They're now only selling it in 2 parts and want $8.99 for each one.

Bookfag talk not going away.

Audiobook is… 54 hours at 1X speed. 

The paperback must weigh what 20 pounds? 

Fuji is a badass.  Her performance is also pretty awesome and probably the best of the series so far.  She's been through some shit and she is just powering through.

There was another woman at the Taika's death party (or whatever that was) in episode 2(?) who I don't think has shown up since.  She was talking shit to the priests outside the door.  I assume she's coming back into play?

I've never been a big Asian woman guy, but between this, Tokyo Vice and my girl Noriko in Godzilla: Minus One, I've reevaluated.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Stringer said:

Fuji is a badass.  Her performance is also pretty awesome and probably the best of the series so far.  She's been through some shit and she is just powering through.

There was another woman at the Taika's death party (or whatever that was) in episode 2(?) who I don't think has shown up since.  She was talking shit to the priests outside the door.  I assume she's coming back into play?

I've never been a big Asian woman guy, but between this, Tokyo Vice and my girl Noriko in Godzilla: Minus One, I've reevaluated.

Dat hairstyle doe.

Agreed. Standing up for Blackthorne took guts, and the gift exchange was quite touching. 

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 6:05 PM, MissingInAction said:

90% subtitles is just too much to keep straight for my booze addled brain.

I can do a show in Spanish because I speak the language..sort of. Enough to at least not have to stare at the subtitles the entire viewing.

Well on Hulu you can go into episodes and choose the english dub version.  I normally hate dubs, but it's been pretty good so far (there are still some sub titles though)

Edited by locodos
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Dat hairstyle doe.

Agreed. Standing up for Blackthorne took guts, and the gift exchange was quite touching. 

She's not scared of death...  she's hoping for it.  It's been 30yrs since I read the book, but IIRC it was some Japanese 5d chess.  Women ran the home and she was within her right to ask him to leave.  So he had leave or risk losing face.

If she died protecting the guns, she has served Toranaga, protected her family honor, done her duty to the Gaijin, and gotten a quick death.  

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1

Shows dope.  Enjoying every second of it. 

Wish I could read fast bc I'd get the book for sure. 

Cosmo's voice acting is cracking me up in a good way.  Imagining from Japanese pov this British guy sounds like an over the top theatrical blowhard.

Makes me want to visit Japan again.

• Haha 1