Shogun

CooterBrown

This is my favorite new show since at least Severance probably. Watched all 4 episodes over the weekend. Episode 4 kicked ass. The subtitles don't really bother me, but I find that they do in some languages, or at least some shows. Maybe because I've watched a fare amount of Korean films, but I barely notice Korean, Japanese and Spanish subtitles.

I'm kind of glad I caught up and will be forced to wait between episodes, or I'd finish the show in the next day or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

How is anyone watching this without subtitles? I tried it for a little bit and missed probably 25% of what they were saying.

All of the Japanese characters, esp hiroyuki sanada, are cast well compared to the 80s miniseries. Mariko is pretty enough to be believable without being overly gorgeous. Buntaro and ishige aren't caricatures. The way they depicted the leprous lord is interesting.

I'm disappointed in how they're telling the story by changing the event order from the books though. I thought the original miniseries made a good decision in faithfully keeping that storyline. By changing the events to emphasize the geopolitical storyline they're losing what is to me the also very compelling stories of several characters, both primary and secondary.

The cinematography and historical accuracy of architecture, etiquette, fashion, and armor is pretty great. The only thing I have issue with there is the natto. Ain't no way he finishes that

Posted (edited)

After watching Monarch, I thought Anna Sawai (Mariko) was a terrible actress and didn't have high hopes for her character.

After seeing her in this, I realize that the writing in Monarch was just abysmal. Just embarrassingly bad.  She's good.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 3

I'm loving the show but I haven't posted much about it.  How many different ways can you say, "this show rules" every week?

I am missing some of the church stuff the last couple of episodes, but that's just how the story moved.

I'm now researching the ageing of game birds ...
Seems pretty crazy that they let them basically rot. 

They still do that in some markets in England. Obviously not the really wretched smelling part of it but the latter stage.
The behind the scene vignettes are also really interesting
Where do you watch that?

This was the best episode yet. Loved it.

This show is very on brand for me and there was pretty much no way I wasn't gonna like it.  That said, every episode has been good and better than the last.  Not sure that is sustainable but wow what a grand slam this has been so far.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/19/2024 at 10:49 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm now researching the ageing of game birds ...

Seems pretty crazy that they let them basically rot. 

This was a really weird storyline. I am familiar with aging pheasant but not like it was done in the show. Did Anjin not know how to properly age pheasant? Also, it is snowing so why was it rotting so bad? The temperature should have been fine for aging the bird without it rotting.

I understand that it was a plot device but I was distracted by the rotting and felt a little distracted.

The scene with Fuji instructing the staff to not mix their utensils with his food was hilarious.

15 minutes ago, F250 said:

This was a really weird storyline. I am familiar with aging pheasant but not like it was done in the show. Did Anjin not know how to properly age pheasant? Also, it is snowing so why was it rotting so bad? The temperature should have been fine for aging the bird without it rotting.

I understand that it was a plot device but I was distracted by the rotting and felt a little distracted.

The scene with Fuji instructing the staff to not mix their utensils with his food was hilarious.

there's not really a way to mess up ageing pheasant.  you literally just hang it from the neck.  don't even clean it.  i think it was just a bit of messy writing from clavell.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/17/2024 at 8:46 PM, gsoda3 said:

How is anyone watching this without subtitles? I tried it for a little bit and missed probably 25% of what they were saying.

Yea tried it first 2 episodes but then I was rewinding and turning them on for certain parts anyway because I missed some things. They stay on more

• Hook 'Em 1

I loved the pacing of this episode. Mirrors how anjin is discovering the Japanese appreciate the metaphysical details of the mundane (sake pot in tea room).

The way Kiku screens herself from anjin so that it seems like Mariko is talking and how the tension builds from there was so well done.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

The way Kiku screens herself from anjin so that it seems like Mariko is talking and how the tension builds from there was so well done.

Mariko couldn't even finish translating because she knew that was a one way train to fucktown.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Amazing episode, the scene you guys are talking about was incredibly done, writing/acting/execution it was nails. I'm loving this show so far they've done an outstanding job with it, 4 more episodes left,

Spoiler

the second to last is titled crimson sky. 

3 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Pillow kiku and Mariko at the same time. Hai. Kudasai, Arigato 

Hai hai ho ho

Was watching it last night with my wife. When we were led to believe that Kiku and Mariko were going to take Blackthorne into the Willow World I mumbled under my breath that he hadn't ever had a night like that in England. 

My British wife didn't care for that comment.

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Was watching it last night with my wife. When we were led to believe that Kiku and Mariko were going to take Blackthorne into the Willow World I mumbled under my breath that he hadn't ever had a night like that in England. 

My British wife didn't care for that comment.

Little too close to home eh?

Almost certainly a better show on FX… but HBO would have shown boobs regularly. They would also make it an 8 season show spaced out over 15 years. 

Spoiler

The 3some is pretty ambiguous in the book as well. But Blackthorne definitely bangs Kiku. Also the amount paid for Kiku is equivalent to 20 years revenue from fishing and farming from the entire village. Simply staggering.