MLB Hot Stove 2023/24

TonyTexas

24 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Judge has star power that brings people to the stadium. He’s been in the top 3 of jersey sales for the past 5 years, I don’t think Altuve has cracked the top 10 outside of one season. Judge’s contract is an investment that more than pays for itself. No one is coming to MMP to see a 38 year old Altuve and his .680 OPS play. They’ll come to see Judge run into a few homers at that age though. 

This article says Judge was 3rd in jersey sales last year, and Altuve was 6th. Bregman is 9th, no other yankees on the list. Seager is the only Ranger on the list and he's 14th, I guess the Rangers fans should be sad they gave that schlub 325 million through age 37.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/20-best-selling-mlb-jerseys-204845265.html

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t think Altuve has cracked the top 10 outside of one season. 

Wrong, but what else is new:

2023 - 6th

2019 - 8th

2018 - 2nd

Too lazy to look up any others, but I'm sure he's been top 10 other years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This article says Judge was 3rd in jersey sales last year, and Altuve was 6th. Bregman is 9th, no other yankees on the list. Seager is the only Ranger on the list and he's 14th, I guess the Rangers fans should be sad they gave that schlub 325 million through age 37.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/20-best-selling-mlb-jerseys-204845265.html

I don't think that's Jose Altuve.

I'm sure Helo is just looking out for us Astros fans, since the Yankees will be paying Giancarlo Stanton 118 million over the next 4 years for his age 34-37 seasons and he doesn't want to see us get burned like him. Appreciate the concern, but I don't think Altuve will have a negative WAR any time soon, but maybe Stanton can turn it around for you guys and get positive this year! Keep your chin up bud!

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1

Didn’t showtime do the same thing with the giants like a decade ago and it sucked? Netflix could not have picked a worse team, not one interesting storyline going on with them. No Dodgers with the best player in the world? Yankees with Soto and the ever present pressure to succeed? Rangers trying to defend a title? A’s and their situation of hopelessness? I will not be tuning in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

I mean you’re looking at 1 more good season, 1 decent one, and 3 years of dogshit. These contracts to guys his age have worked out well exactly 0% of the time.  

Big guys age terribly.  Altuve is the opposite of big.  Having affirmed the consequent, I'd also argue that Altuve has been declining for several years now (see SB numbers), but he's compensated by posting the three highest walk rates of his career the last 3 seasons.

I'd also bet that he has a higher WAR than Volpe over the next 3 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

Are the Red Sox even a .500 team this year?  They really haven't done much to improve. Hard Knocks usually picks a team that's interesting for some reasons, I can't think of any reason for a non-Boston fan to watch that. 

Doubtful. Will be bottom of the East likely 

21 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Big guys age terribly.  Altuve is the opposite of big.  Having affirmed the consequent, I'd also argue that Altuve has been declining for several years now (see SB numbers), but he's compensated by posting the three highest walk rates of his career the last 3 seasons.

I'd also bet that he has a higher WAR than Volpe over the next 3 years.

He won’t walk as much once pitchers realize he’s lost some speed on his swing, and if he does get on he’ll be a station to station runner. Meanwhile look at Volpe last year. Started horribly, got better as the season went on. No reason to think he’ll not keep improving as the year goes on. He also plays a premium position, which Altuve does not. Factoring in the cost associated with each player and their current career trajectories, you’d have to be a giant fucking moron to want Altuve for the next 3 years instead of Volpe. At 5 years it’s an even more laughable difference. 

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Didn’t showtime do the same thing with the giants like a decade ago and it sucked? Netflix could not have picked a worse team, not one interesting storyline going on with them. No Dodgers with the best player in the world? Yankees with Soto and the ever present pressure to succeed? Rangers trying to defend a title? A’s and their situation of hopelessness? I will not be tuning in. 

Does anyone around here know where to bet on 2024 Emmy winners? I found my horse that cannot lose. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

I will not be tuning in. 

In the same announcement, it was also mentioned that they were doing a documentary on the  2004 Red Sox season . You might be more interested in that, particularly the ALCS

41 minutes ago, uoftorange said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39492323/former-mets-gm-billy-eppler-suspended-fabricating-injuries

Not sure if posted elsewhere, but this is kind of crazy.  Mostly because I think every single GM does this.  Kind of like sign stealing and roids, but even more prevalent 😉 ...

DNP-Old 

Oh now here's an idea of how to get the old people on board with the robo-ump system, let's get her behind home plate!

Jen Pawol to become third woman to umpire MLB spring training games

Jen Pawol, the first female umpire to reach Triple A in three and a half decades, is another step closer to the big leagues. Pawol will umpire major-league spring training games in Florida this season, becoming just the third woman to do so.

Pawol, who will also be elevated to the role of Triple-A crew chief, is aiming to become the first woman to umpire a regular-season MLB game. She is one of 24 umpires who will be announced Monday to do big-league spring training games.

Pawol, who was promoted to Triple A last spring, started her career in the Gulf Coast League in 2016 and has been steadily working her way up. It’s possible she could be called up to MLB in 2024 if needed; the crew chief is considered the most senior umpire on each crew.

“No one can take (getting to) Triple A away from me,” she told The Athletic last summer. “I’m three months in and no matter what happens, I can continue to make a positive impact on the game, and that’s really exciting.”

Baseball’s history with female umpires has been, at times, contentious. Pam Postema spent 13 seasons in the minor leagues, becoming the first woman to umpire a big-league spring game in her final season in ’89. After six years at Triple A, Postema had her contract canceled.

Ria Cortesio was the second woman to umpire a major-league spring training game. She was released in 2007 after nine years, the last five at Double A, following a season in which she started as the top-ranked umpire in the league. The 47-year-old Pawol is friends with both women and has cited Postema, who wrote a tell-all book on her experiences, as a mentor.

Last year, five women were umpiring in pro ball, though Pawol was the only one above Class A. A former softball player at Hofstra, Pawol is passionate about advancing that pipeline. She has written a workout for amateur umpires and provides a curriculum for baseball and softball umpires for high school kids, as well as a junior umpire certification course through the charity UmpsCare.

https://theathletic.com/5269813/2024/02/12/jen-pawol-mlb-umpire/

Are we going to have a whole team of 2019 Dallas Keuchel/Craig Kimbrel’s?

(Kuechel was a Boras client. Kimbrel was not).

is the same clause in place that a team doesn’t lose a draft pick if signing a QO FA after the draft? (Except the draft is mid-July this year vs early June in 2019).