Texas vs UCONN- 6pm on ESPNU

shadow_operative

I was at the game tonight. Without our big men we were overmatched. A lot of shots did not fall that normally do.  If we can get healthy and integrate Disu I’m hopeful but cautious. We are not last years team playing D and despite it being an unpopular opinion I’m not sold on Haith. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Sal said:

People keep talking about missing two big men. College basketball is guard dependent, and we don't have good guards or good depth. I don't see how Disu or Shedrick overcome those problems unless we get multiple guards to make shots consistently. 

Did you watch the NCAA or Big 12 tournament last year? 

Our guards were good because of a player like Disu that can kick and pop. Our best offense to end the year was either either Carr or Hunter in PnR with Disu. Right now our guards either have to beat a guy off the dribble to create a shot or put somebody in PnR that is no threat to shoot like Onyema. 

The best looks we get on offense right now are when we put Cunningham in PnR because they can't really help off him and when they do he's decent at hitting shots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Disu should be back by mid December but probably not in time for Marquette. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Abmas needs to stop chucking but the big issue with him is he's a pick and roll player not a 1 v 1 player. 

I said this in the main Texas thread, but the way you unlock him is a guy like Disu that can kick and pop. When Texas tries to set up PnR with Onyema they just hedge on Hunter or Abmas because Onyema is no threat to score other than a dunk. 

I haven't seen if Shedrick can kick and pop yet. He can definitely score inside. What this team really needs for Hunter and Abmas is a guy like Disu. 

All the recent  info I can find is Disu is "definitely making positive progress, but still has no timetable for a return." Thats kind of what they have been saying since school started in September and I'm getting a bit nervous. It could be nothing, or it could be like Cam Rising, where he was always close, but never played  a down for Utah this season. 

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Abmas needs to stop chucking but the big issue with him is he's a pick and roll player not a 1 v 1 player. 

I said this in the main Texas thread, but the way you unlock him is a guy like Disu that can kick and pop. When Texas tries to set up PnR with Onyema they just hedge on Hunter or Abmas because Onyema is no threat to score other than a dunk. 

I haven't seen if Shedrick can kick and pop yet. He can definitely score inside. What this team really needs for Hunter and Abmas is a guy like Disu. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Did you watch the NCAA or Big 12 tournament last year? 

Our guards were good because of a player like Disu that can kick and pop. Our best offense to end the year was either either Carr or Hunter in PnR with Disu. Right now our guards either have to beat a guy off the dribble to create a shot or put somebody in PnR that is no threat to shoot like Onyema. 

The best looks we get on offense right now are when we put Cunningham in PnR because they can't really help off him and when they do he's decent at hitting shots. 

Good stuff! And agreed.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the key thing moving forward is figuring out how we work Disu and Shedrick. 

Shedrick can score inside and is an interior presence defensively. Disu has more offensive game in the mid-range and perimeter which helps unlock our guards in PnR. Can you make these 2 work together at the 4 and 5? 

I'm not sure but seems like we can be pretty versatile offensively once we have both those guys back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think the key thing moving forward is figuring out how we work Disu and Shedrick. 

Shedrick can score inside and is an interior presence defensively. Disu has more offensive game in the mid-range and perimeter which helps unlock our guards in PnR. Can you make these 2 work together at the 4 and 5? 

I'm not sure but seems like we can be pretty versatile offensively once we have both those guys back. 

Agree.  Like the fight today -- keep working and improving!!!  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Good stuff! And agreed.

RT's offense is built on PnR. It's why he likely went so hard after Abmas who is best utilized in PnR. 

To no surprise, our best offense right now is when we put Brock in PnR. But we need a true big like Disu that can also do work in that action. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Abmas looks out of shape to me. I was expecting someone at his size to be lightening quick and running around all over the place. He can’t really create his own shot, so why not run through a bunch of screens to get wide open shots?

I think he will eventually get going. Maybe Disu will help. Our ceiling is much lower if he is just a low efficiency chunker though.

47 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I was at the game tonight. Without our big men we were overmatched. A lot of shots did not fall that normally do.  If we can get healthy and integrate Disu I’m hopeful but cautious. We are not last years team playing D and despite it being an unpopular opinion I’m not sold on Haith. 

Nobody should be sold on Haith

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Abmas looks out of shape to me. I was expecting someone at his size to be lightening quick and running around all over the place. He can’t really create his own shot, so why not run through a bunch of screens to get wide open shots?

I think he will eventually get going. Maybe Disu will help. Our ceiling is much lower if he is just a low efficiency chunker though.

I don't think anybody should be worried offensively. We scored 81 and 71 points this weekend with the ability to be much more versatile with Shedrick and Disu. This will be one of the top offensive teams in the country if we can just get healthy. 

The worry is on the defensive end (particularly perimeter defense) and the defensive glass. Hunter, Abmas, and Horton all need to step it up defensively. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

The schedule going forward is Wyoming, Texas St, #4 Marquette, Houston Christian, LSU, Corpus aggy, and UNC Greensboro. I know we all want to beat Marquette to give Shaka a punch in the face after he shit the bed here like a bitch then started winning again with Marquette, but we should be no worse than 10-2 or 9-3 coming out of 2023. Really should be 10-2 as should split Marquette and LSU at least. Disu should be back by mid December but probably not in time for Marquette. 

Texas better not sleepwalk against Wyoming. 

They're 4-1 and look similar to the 23-9 team they had 2 years ago. Linder can coach and they have some weapons. Griffin in particular can really score. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

19 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas better not sleepwalk against Wyoming. 

They're 4-1 and look similar to the 23-9 team they had 2 years ago. Linder can coach and they have some weapons. Griffin in particular can really score. 

Wyoming's AD has quietly built a solid program all-around.

37 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think anybody should be worried offensively. We scored 81 and 71 points this weekend with the ability to be much more versatile with Shedrick and Disu. This will be one of the top offensive teams in the country if we can just get healthy. 

The worry is on the defensive end (particularly perimeter defense) and the defensive glass. Hunter, Abmas, and Horton all need to step it up defensively. 

the amount of wide open looks from three that we gave up in both games was concerning. we will not be able to keep pace in the big xii if we don’t get much better at defending the three point line. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the amount of wide open looks from three that we gave up in both games was concerning. we will not be able to keep pace in the big xii if we don’t get much better at defending the three point line. 

I thought we defended much better in the 2nd half against UCONN. Only 35 points and they hit 5 or 6 really tough shots. That's also a really good offensive team. 

I believe a big part of it is just an effort thing. I think our guards know they can drop 70 to 80 points on most teams which is good enough to win a lot of games in college basketball. 

That isn't gonna work against the likes of UCONN and good Big 12 teams. I thought the intensity and effort was much better in the 2nd half than the rest of the weekend which also produced the best result on that end. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

@shadow_operativewhat's your ideal starting 5? 

I'm now starting to think we can't play this 3 guard lineup with Abmas, Hunter, and Horton. There's just not enough rebounding or perimeter defense. 

When Disu comes back, is a "bigger 3" lineup possible?  (Disu, Shedrick, Mitchell).  Feels like we might end up platooning the two best big guys.  I really don't know the tradeoffs.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

When Disu comes back, is a "bigger 3" lineup possible?  (Disu, Shedrick, Mitchell).  Feels like we might end up platooning the two best big guys.  I really don't know the tradeoffs.

I think the big key is more perimeter defense in the starting 5. 

Abmas, Hunter, Cunningham or Weaver, Mitchell, Disu or Shedrick. Then Horton as a 6th man type scorer off the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm now starting to think we can't play this 3 guard lineup with Abmas, Hunter, and Horton. There's just not enough rebounding or perimeter defense. 

when we’re all healthy i would honestly consider rolling out hunter, horton, mitchell, brock, and shedrick/disu with abmas being the first guy off the bench (along with shedrick/disu). that approach worked with boddicker and j’covan, and if he’s playing under control he could be a great boost off the bench 3-4 minutes into the game. he’d still get his minutes, but i’m intrigued by the thought of using him as a high scoring sixth man.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5

30 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I really enjoyed the minutes Weaver gave us tonight. He was out on the floor pretty much every time we made a run. He needs to be mixed in more so that we can reduce the minutes where all 3 of Abmas, Hunter, and Horton are on the floor together. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

The good news is we had this same exact issue last year to start the season. 

You brought up this same issue early in the year last season. What improved last year? More cohesion or maybe more playing time for Rice which = better perimeter D? 

Feels like Weaver is going to be an important player moving forward. 

• Like 1

I was at the game and any time Cunningham or anyone not named Mitchell had a bad possession on offense or defense, Shedrick was just miserable on the bench. It was killing him to watch without being able to get in there.

Team showed good fight. Gotta get everyone back in the rotation.

• Like 1

Regardless of injuries or defense or whatever. We hired Rodney Terry. most of us knew it was not going to go well. It was a terrible hire. I just hope there are some great coaches available in a couple of years when we're looking again.

Go ahead and downvote me. I know some of you can't handle differing opinions.

Edited by FtheBig12
  • Fuck You 8

4 minutes ago, FtheBig12 said:

Regardless of injuries or defense or whatever. We hired Rodney Terry. most of us knew it was not going to go well. It was a terrible hire. I just hope there are some great coaches available in a couple of years when we're looking again.

It's not the differing opinion I object to, it's throwing in the towel on a guy who's only five games into his first actual campaign. Seems myopic and rushed.

That's not to say I didn't--and don't--have concerns about RT, but so far, objectively speaking, it's hard to find much fault as he's recruited high school and the portal well and seems to be building excellent team camaraderie. Chemistry takes time, especially when injuries disrupt the process. Maybe I'll have some stronger thoughts on Terry by March or April, but even that would be soon.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's not the differing opinion I object to, it's throwing in the towel on a guy who's only five games into his first actual campaign. Seems myopic and rushed.

That's not to say I didn't--and don't--have concerns about RT, but so far, objectively speaking, it's hard to find much fault as he's recruited high school and the portal well and seems to be building excellent team camaraderie. Chemistry takes time, especially when injuries disrupt the process. Maybe I'll have some stronger thoughts on Terry by March or April, but even that would be soon.

I felt it was a terrible hire when it was made. I've seen nothing to change that opinion. I'm quite confident that he's not the guy and we will be looking again in a couple of years. Nothing against him personally he seems like a great guy.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, FtheBig12 said:

I felt it was a terrible hire when it was made. I've seen nothing to change that opinion.

Then you simply aren't paying attention, or are so biased that you can't recognize anything positive that the man does.

Just last week we signed the #4 recruit in the country (our 3rd highest ranked recruit ever) and currently have the #4 or #5 overall class.  Terry was also a monster in the portal and completely reloaded the team. Most of the players we have lost have turned out to be knuckleheads (recruited by Beard no less), so that is addition by subtraction.

Terry added Frank Haith to the staff. You may not like him as a head coach, but he is one of the top assistants in the country.

Our players, Mitchell and Hunter in particular, have improved a lot over the offseason.  We were just within 6 points in crunch time vs. the defending National Champs, in effectively an away game, with our pair of potential All-Big 12 big men hurt on the bench.

Terry may not be the best coach in the country, but he has the program in a great position.  Who specifically did you want us to hire instead?

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Then you simply aren't paying attention, or are so biased that you can't recognize anything positive that the man does.

Just last week we signed the #4 recruit in the country (our 3rd highest ranked recruit ever) and currently have the #4 or #5 overall class.  Terry was also a monster in the portal and completely reloaded the team. Most of the players we have lost have turned out to be knuckleheads (recruited by Beard no less), so that is addition by subtraction.

Terry added Frank Haith to the staff. You may not like him as a head coach, but he is one of the top assistants in the country.

Our players, Mitchell and Hunter in particular, have improved a lot over the offseason.  We were just within 6 points in crunch time vs. the defending National Champs, in effectively an away game, with our pair of potential All-Big 12 big men hurt on the bench.

Terry may not be the best coach in the country, but he has the program in a great position.  Who specifically did you want us to hire instead?

You clearly take this personally so there's no way to have a rational debate with you. I just hope you can emotionally handle it when he fails. I get it you don't agree there's nothing wrong with that just understand that others may not agree with you.

• Fuck You 6

Lol. I don't take it personally at all and I didn't respond emotionally.

I'm a fan of the program and simply calling out BS.  I very rationally laid out a lot of good things that Terry has done over the last 6 months.  You on the other hand come in after a difficult loss and claim it as validation that Terry is going to fail.  

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, FtheBig12 said:

You clearly take this personally so there's no way to have a rational debate with you. I just hope you can emotionally handle it when he fails. I get it you don't agree there's nothing wrong with that just understand that others may not agree with you.

You seem very fragile.

• Hook 'Em 1

While we lost, I think it was great experience for the team.  We clearly had matchup problems, but beyond that U Conn simply is currently a better team than we are.  This is not to say we might not be capable of beating them at full strength, but the rain of 3 pointers after eating the entirety of the clock was something you simply have to tip your hat to.  There is a reason for our ranking gap.

But you have to love the fight in this team.  Overmatched we actually brought the game back within reach a few times.  Our scrappy defense helped create the extra opportunities needed to begin to close the gap.  I think the main thing we need to do is look inside a bit more often earlier.  There were open times under the basket where we could have gotten good inside shots with Onyema but without a quick early pass the disappeared nearly instantly.  The thing about these passes is it forces the defense to collapse inward, are high percentage, and tend to draw fouls.  Something we need to look for even when our biggest men are not in the game.  IF the bag man hustles to get in place, thorow them some bones.  It's good B-Ball.

Dillon Mitchell is gonna have a great year. The extra muscle looks great on him.

Hook'em!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, FtheBig12 said:

WTF?  Nothing about his post indicated any of this.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sal said:

People keep talking about missing two big men. College basketball is guard dependent, and we don't have good guards or good depth. I don't see how Disu or Shedrick overcome those problems unless we get multiple guards to make shots consistently. 

the bigs help create the opportunities you seek

22 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I'm a fan of the program and simply calling out BS.  I very rationally laid out a lot of good things that Terry has done over the last 6 months.  You on the other hand come in after a difficult loss and claim it as validation that Terry is going to fail.  

Truth.

Are these hot takes the downside of the football team doing well?  They have to bitch about something, so they are showing up in the basketball threads.  As has been pointed out, that was a great effort from a shorthanded team that will pay off in the long run.  I am very excited about watching this team develop.      

1 hour ago, FtheBig12 said:

I wasn’t in favor of RT. But, at this point, I’m more troubled by Haith. 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In a few yearsI've been saying since the day he was hired that it was a terrible choice. This isn't an emotional response after one game it's simply validation.

I'm not going to get into a silly pissing match with you over this. My validation will come when he's fired or "retires" in a few years.

Edited by FtheBig12
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If we go by "he'll be fired in a few years" as our measuring stick of coaches, most of them in most sports are likely the wrong person. 

Beard wasn't fired by tech and was the right choice at the time. Unfortunately our administration doesn't believe in innocent until proven guilty so now he's going to beat us every year in the SEC as our reward.

Here's where you come back with how big a scumbag beard is and how it was the right choice to let him go. Spare me.

Edited by FtheBig12
  • Fuck You 3

31 minutes ago, FtheBig12 said:

In a few yearsI've been saying since the day he was hired that it was a terrible choice. This isn't an emotional response after one game it's simply validation.

I'm not going to get into a silly pissing match with you over this. My validation will come when he's fired or "retires" in a few years.

You are making a worthless point. No one gives a shit that you didn’t like the hire. And it’s only a few games into his tenure, certainly too early to declare him a failure. So if you are looking for some award for guessing that he won’t be successful in the future, no one gives a shit about that either. Your posts on the topic are a waste of everyone’s time. Produce better content or STFU. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Just last week we signed the #4 recruit in the country (our 3rd highest ranked recruit ever) and currently have the #4 or #5 overall class.  Terry was also a monster in the portal and completely reloaded the team.

Factors in Recruiting:

1.       School: – Kansas “A”  Texas: “B+”

2.       NIL: Texas probably an “A”

3.       Coach name recognition: Coach K was an “A”  RT – much less so far.

4.       Coach’s ability to ability to convince them to sign:  Looks like RT did quite well.

I was worried about recruiting but not anymore.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Your boo Chris Beard lost to mediocre Illinois in this same spot last year. And they were playing like complete dogshit at the time. What did that loss validate? 

• Like 3

Beard wasn't fired by tech and was the right choice at the time. Unfortunately our administration doesn't believe in innocent until proven guilty so now he's going to beat us every year in the SEC as our reward.

Here's where you come back with how big a scumbag beard is and how it was the right choice to let him go. Spare me.

Chris Beard is a giant scumbag, and it was the right choice to let him go. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FtheBig12 said:

image.png.6519e82feaab88cba72b2f50fd91d907.png

• Haha 2