2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A couple of posters on OB claim they have a direct connection to Hupert and claim he told people he accepted a job at Texas. I guess maybe it was for an analyst spot?

That's what he was at Oregon State. 

3 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Do our analysts make more than a positional coach at a G5? Is Oregon State just broke now that the PAC12 is gone?

He was just an analyst at Oregon State. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That's what he was at Oregon State. 

He was just an analyst at Oregon State. 

Brandon Huppert is in his first season as a defensive quality control analyst at Oregon State. He came to Corvallis from Washington, where he most recently served as the program’s director of development from 2020-22.

https://osubeavers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/brandon-huppert/2826

Well Sunnovabitch

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

We’re all entitled to our opinions, but I consider Chris Jackson a big upgrade to Marion, who is always looking for his next job the day he gets hired at his new one. Also wanted to be an OC, not a WR coach. 

I love how he was able to go in home with a California guy who has never(?) visited Texas and got him to commit and sign.

And if Butler sticks around,  that skill set is going to burn so many defenses on those short pass plays. 

• Hook 'Em 8

It feels like we are somehow upgrading every time a good assistant leaves. 
Dratyon to Choice. 
Choate to Nansen. 
Marion to Jackson is a bit more questionable but I really like what Jackson has done so far. 
I will say, this makes me want to see a DB coaching change even more because it's pretty clear Sark can make good assistant hires. 

I don’t think Marion was a good fit here. Not saying he is a bad coach, just a weird fit.
  • Hook 'Em 5

40 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

It’s almost like he tries to be wrong

39 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The ability for Ketchum to continuously be wrong is honestly impressive 

It really is incredible. He fucks up on twitter more than his parody account. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm confused. Are you saying I'm not old and struggling on some level with society moving past me?

I mean, I was more focusing on your instinctual, dna level reflexive need to defend Mack Brown and Charlie Strong coaching staffs. 

But I guess you can be old and struggling with our own irrelevance as well. 

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

We’re all entitled to our opinions, but I consider Chris Jackson a big upgrade to Marion, who is always looking for his next job the day he gets hired at his new one. Also wanted to be an OC, not a WR coach. 

Jackson was an upgrade over Marion if only for his ability to manage the WR room

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Some of you are absolutely clueless. I get it is fun to poke fun at older coaches and mock the nostalgia shown by the geriatrics on Surly but Akina is fully credited by basically everyone around the Arizona program as why their defense took such a huge step forward this year. The reason Arizona went from allowing 35+ points a game to like ~21 points (despite facing an on paper tougher schedule) is because of the vast improvement of their secondary. Under Akina. He isn't just some meme name being thrown around. He is still doing a phenomenal job wherever he decides to park himself both at developing players and with his schematic input. Nansen himself has credited Akina repeatedly all season long as being hugely important to their success. 

The guy is also only 67, not 80. He is five years younger than Saban who certainly seems to be still doing just fine. 

/end rant

I mean I get it. People pining for old Texas coaches from the Mack era can get tiresome. It is fun to poke fun at the guys who want always want us to kick the tires on washed coaches who haven't shown competency in near two decades. That isn't Akina. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, man, you do realize akina was an Analyst at Arizona, right? An analyst. and not a Gary Patterson million dollar a year analyst. If he wants to come to Texas as the same I’d love to have the guy. 

But saying “everyone” credits Akina for the entire turnaround of the Arizona defense this season seems…a bit over the top. 

He should be able to help Gideon a good deal assuming Gideon has a positive relationship with him.

Edited by Fondren & Main

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, man, you do realize akina was an Analyst at Arizona, right? An analyst. and not a Gary Patterson million dollar a year analyst. If he wants to come to Texas as the same I’d love to have the guy. 

But saying “everyone” credits Akina for the entire turnaround of the Arizona defense this season seems…a bit over the top. 

Of course. No one was running around saying Nansen actually sucks and it was this analyst that saved their defense. I am saying that the value Akina brought to them has been universally praised and is something that their coaching staff and reporters have mentioned repeatedly all season long. As much for his schematic input and game strategy help as his work during the week with their secondary. I am talking within the context of his role as an analyst and the value he would bring coming here as such. Not saying he should or would replace Gideon, etc. 

edit: I will say that if you think I am being over the top go take a look at the reddit reactions by Arizona fans to the Nansen news. Or their boards / reporters reactions. You will see almost more comments about "hope we can keep Akina in some capacity" than you will "oh man it sucks to lose Nansen". I'm not even saying those reactions are not silly- just saying that the value Akina provides is real, at least in perception, and not really the mock worthy idiocy of the yearly "we should hire Samples" type bullshit we also see from some of the same people. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

Of course. No one was running around saying Nansen actually sucks and it was this analyst that saved their defense. I am saying that the value Akina brought to them has been universally praised and is something that their coaching staff and reporters have mentioned repeatedly all season long. As much for his schematic input and game strategy help as his work during the week with their secondary. I am talking within the context of his role as an analyst and the value he would bring coming here as such. Not saying he should or would replace Gideon, etc. 

thank you Mrs Akina. That’s a lovely speech. 

3 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

The above, is not the same as the below:

Akina is fully credited by basically everyone around the Arizona program as why their defense took such a huge step forward this year. The reason Arizona went from allowing 35+ points a game to like ~21 points (despite facing an on paper tougher schedule) is because of the vast improvement of their secondary. Under Akina. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I won't go as far as him on Akina getting all the credit, but this is getting reported on the Arizona side so he clearly has earned his due

image.png.6e6c1c9e5d03702ca598bf90f67cf36c.png

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Duane Akina

"He was named Arizona defensive coordinator in 2000, but decided to leave for Texas to become the team's defensive back coach."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duane_Akina

image.thumb.png.11395f13c603e60dbeb4a78b70d95f7b.png

image.png.7602a22c3db0a0c3a08cedd75148c966.png

In his 3rd season at Texas Mack lost to OU at the hands of a lefty QB and finished the year with a loss to a Pac 12 team. Then went out and hired Akina away from Arizona before winning 10+ games for a decade straight. 

Sounds a lot like our 3rd year HC? 🤔 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

edit: I will say that if you think I am being over the top go take a look at the reddit reactions by Arizona fans to the Nansen news. Or their boards / reporters reactions. You will see almost more comments about "hope we can keep Akina in some capacity" than you will "oh man it sucks to lose Nansen". I'm not even saying those reactions are not silly- just saying that the value Akina provides is real, at least in perception, and not really the mock worthy idiocy of the yearly "we should hire Samples" type bullshit we also see from some of the same people. 

They both contributed to the buttkicking of OU in the Alamo bowl.  I liked what I saw from their linebackers and Dbs in that game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

edit: I will say that if you think I am being over the top go take a look at the reddit reactions by Arizona fans to the Nansen news. Or their boards / reporters reactions. You will see almost more comments about "hope we can keep Akina in some capacity" than you will "oh man it sucks to lose Nansen".

Would you place the same credibility on the fan judgement of the UT Reddit board?  Seems like a great place to find rampant idiocy.  

• Haha 1

I didn’t realize Arizona was Nansen’s first DC/co-DC job. Pretty impressive leap of faith by Fisch that paid off.

The fact Nansen has bounced around and coached so many different positions (including offense) speaks to his recruiting ability. Type of guy you always find a spot for on your staff.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1