2024 Texas Football Coaching and Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

16 minutes ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Should totally hire an assistant the players want in order to hold the team together. Just ask Texas basketball.

This never ends well. Not to mention that Arizona is not a terrible job. They could easily snag a good lower level coach or rising star coordinator. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Zona 247 mod said a decision between Nansen and Brennan is coming tomorrow. AD is desperately trying to keep guys out of the portal.

Sure seems like it’ll be Nansen since players are tweeting #StayingwithNansen

The NIL guys apparently want Brennan. Probably going to start getting that more and more going forward where the dudes who pay the players salaries are holding AD’s hostage. 

The good AD’s will be able to maintain alignment. The bad ones will get run over.

• Hook 'Em 2

All due respect to Mr. Nansen - was he on anybody's radar as a HC candidate?  Anywhere?  Because that seems like a mistake if its just to placate players and 'hold together roster'.  That school in College Station tried that - offseason hasn't quite gone how they had hoped.

Texas will just go out and hire another LB coach.  But Arizona might hire a guy, who no one thought of as head coach material, because of a hashtag.

• Hook 'Em 4

46 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

It’s gonna end up being Nansen isn’t it 

It's probably a good thing to have your coaches, or potential new coaches poached. Surly has a whole new thing for the offseason. Sark has his rehab clinic, just like Saban.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

But Arizona might hire a guy, who no one thought of as head coach material, because of a hashtag.

It's the future Big 12 model. Decisions will be made via Twitter polls and hashtags

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

All due respect to Mr. Nansen - was he on anybody's radar as a HC candidate?  Anywhere?  Because that seems like a mistake if its just to placate players and 'hold together roster'.  That school in College Station tried that - offseason hasn't quite gone how they had hoped.

Texas will just go out and hire another LB coach.  But Arizona might hire a guy, who no one thought of as head coach material, because of a hashtag.

He’s probably on a head coach trajectory, but definitely not power 5 head job in 2024 trajectory.

Edited by Hookem2147

54 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

My wife's uncle is an Iowa fan that lives in Iowa City. He told me a few days ago that Chryst turned them down with the reason that his wife didn't want to move again. Supposedly they're looking at Marion and Rees now.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The NIL guys apparently want Brennan. Probably going to start getting that more and more going forward where the dudes who pay the players salaries are holding AD’s hostage. 

The good AD’s will be able to maintain alignment. The bad ones will get run over.

IMO, defensive coaches rarely make good long-term head coaches in the modern college game, especially at Tier 3 programs. ***(Saban/Smart cheated and they are Tier 1)*** The reasons for this:

1. It's hard to win with defense at a school that can't recruit top talent.

2. Evaluating defensive personnel that fits the scheme, with high upside but raw skills is more important than the actual defensive schemes or gameday coaching. Some of this can be done with off-the-field hires. In other words, it's easier to find a defensive coordinator.

On the other hand, offensive coaching takes a more cerebral approach, where scheme and playcalling make a huge difference. One can also argue that offense requires more repetition and timing, so a stable influence is important. You can replace your defensive coach if he is hired away. It is much harder to replace the OC without missing a beat. Stoops (Tier 1) succeeded because he had such a huge offensive coaching tree created by Mike Leach

But if you want to stick to the defensive side of the ball, why hire a guy with very little coordinator experience like Nansen? Barry Odom is sitting out there right now. He's a much more proven commodity and he's got a good OC with him, even if it won't last for long. He has a network of coaches to fill out his staff.

This hire would make no sense, IMO. Players should not determine the head coach. They have no idea what they're doing. They are emotionally invested in their guy.

I'd trust the collective before I'd trust an administrator or a bunch of players, but none of them should be making this decision. It's beyond time for GMs at this level of ball.

I'd hire an offensive wizard with head coaching experience at the lower levels. Kalen DeBoer a few years ago is a perfect example.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't buy Nansen going back for the same role. You're telling me the school with a $250 million deficit can afford to make Nansen one of the top paid coordinators in the country after we already money whipped him along with having the daughter factor? Doesn't pass the smell test. Just placating the fanbase so they stop doomposting about the roster all leaving

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

I don't buy Nansen going back for the same role. You're telling me the school with a $250 million deficit can afford to make Nansen one of the top paid coordinators in the country after we already money whipped him along with having the daughter factor? Doesn't pass the smell test. Just placating the fanbase so they stop doomposting about the roster all leaving

It reads as “holy crap the portal freaks us out!” logic. If the San Jose State guy is good, let him make good hires. Don’t foist the beloved coordinator on him. 

9 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Good take. Money is likely the biggest issue. Even it's not Nansens pay rate, the support may not be there for that program.  Then adding in that the NIL guys want someone else instead of Nansen... If you have them out things get tight. Maybe this is a play by the AD? "See guys, we tried. He wants to stick with his pay increase at Texas." Maybe it gets him some good will from both sides.

Question for anyone who would know:

Is Nansen, or any other coached announced by the team under contract immediately? Is there some quick opt-out provision or something? I thought the Board of Regents had to vote on approving coaching contracts, or is that merely a formality?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Just now, BornAndRaised said:

Question for anyone who would know:

Is Nansen, or any other coached announced by the team under contract immediately? Is there some quick opt-out provision or something? I thought the Board of Regents had to vote on approving coaching contracts, or is that merely a formality?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

My understanding is Nansen is already under contract and the buyout for him to leave Texas is ~500K. That is what the Arizona side was saying during the HC buzz anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 2