2023 Heisman

Hondo

It’s absolutely fascinating how little people give a shit about the heisman that this thread is only 3 pages and no one even put the name of the winner in the replies or the title. Hahahaha 

Jayden Daniels is a dude. I hope he hits the portal that would be so fucking funny. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

It’s absolutely fascinating how little people give a shit about the heisman that this thread is only 3 pages and no one even put the name of the winner in the replies or the title. Hahahaha 

Jayden Daniels is a dude. I hope he hits the portal that would be so fucking funny. 

first player to win the heisman at 2 different teams

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Did you watch the 30 for 30 after the ceremony? They were dedicated to Heisman coverage for the entire 1997 season. Oh how times have changed

51 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

It is simply an award that outlived its usefulness. 

I think its original intent is still useful.   But the purity of the award, the standards of measurement have been bastardized into a popularity contest, instead of what the individuals bring to the game and their team.  The integrity of the award has not been the same since Earl won it.  I will never forget Ross Browner and Parseghian dissing UT and Earl from the Heisman podium.    

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

At least Torretta ended up having an NFL career and passed for quite a few TDs. 

This field was WEAK!

Um...you realize the player they passed over to give it to Torretta was Marshall Faulk right? Everybody in the whole country knew Faulk was a better player than Gino Torretta. Everbody.

But Faulk played for a G5-type school so they just gave it to Gino for that and no other reason.

I remember them interviewing Gino's parents during a game asking why he should win the Heisman and his mom said "because he is the best player in the country" but it was no unconvincing I remember thinking: "damn. I don't even think Gino's mom thinks he is better than Marshall Faulk."

Anybody who thinks there was some golden age of the Heisman where the best player won is completely mistaken. It was always BS but somehow it was more tolerable back then. Maybe because you didn't have the stupid sportswriters justifying their dumbass votes on social media.

Marshall Faulk: the #2 overall pick in the 1993 NFL Draft (and the only reason he wasn't #1 was because the Bengals Bengal'ed it up)

Gino Torretta: a 7th round pick in the 1993 NFL Draft.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Drool 1

36 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Giving it to USC over VY made me angry. Giving it to OU over Colt made me vow to never watch it again.

Fucking Billy Simms...2008 was just some kind of game to suck off OU and waive it in our faces. It was bizarre. Barry Switzer announcing the BCS Standings, fucking Billy Simms screaming BOOMER!! over and over at the Heisman ceremony. It was ridiculous. Like was all that really necessary ESPN? We get it, you think we are dogshit and OU is amazing. We get it. Just let us off with some dignity ok?

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

Dead to me when VY didn’t win it and I couldn’t give less of a shit now. 

Now don't get me wrong. It would be cool if a Texas player won it.

However, since the 1993 incident with Marshall Faulk I haven't had much respect for the award. I know what it is.

2005 was definitely a moment I started to care even less and it wasn't even VY not winning, it was Kirk Bohls bullshit. His dumbass and unfair and bullshit explanation was so nauseating it kind of killed my interest to even follow it anymore. Like I knew the voters were morons but it was different hearing their idiocy explained to me by one of the idiots. And of course his truly pathetic mea culpa later.

16 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

However, since the 1993 incident with Marshall Faulk I haven't had much respect for the award. I know what it is.

2005 was definitely a moment I started to care even less and it wasn't even VY not winning, it was Kirk Bohls bullshit. His dumbass and unfair and bullshit explanation was so nauseating it kind of killed my interest to even follow it anymore. Like I knew the voters were morons but it was different hearing their idiocy explained to me by one of the idiots. And of course his truly pathetic mea culpa later.

I was 18 in 93 and stupid beyond belief, but I don’t recall ever really caring about it that much until Ricky was in the race. I remember thinking man we’ve had some crazy good players and only twice? Plus my folks were pissed Rosey didn’t win it years and years before. I proved not to listen to them about much but apparently I listened to what they had to say about Texas football. Fuck the heisman, paraphrasing my momma.

• 4 months later...
On 12/10/2023 at 2:22 PM, troph said:

Dead to me when VY didn’t win it and I couldn’t give less of a shit now. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:09 PM, n64ra said:

Giving it to USC over VY made me angry. Giving it to OU over Colt made me vow to never watch it again.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:31 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Yep. I completely forgot it was a thing until this afternoon. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:40 PM, Valmy77 said:

Bush getting back his Heisman

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/40014492/reggie-bush-heisman-trophy-returned