Shit your kids listen to that ain't half bad

Goredho

I thought i had weird musical tastes in High School (my classmates sure thought i did), but my teenage son is listening to some pretty interesting stuff lately. He texts me youtube links every now and then for me to peruse. Here are 3 recent ones he sent me.

• Margin for Error,
  • The Field
  • Sweet Trip (which honestly, i should have been listening to 20 years ago)

• 2 weeks later...

My kid isn't old enough to listen to music on her own, but my buddy's 11 year old daughter got him listening to Olivia Rodrigo, and he turned me onto that, and I legit like it.  It's like if the Blue Album was made by a sexy 20 something instead of an emotionally crippled Gen X incel.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I am 41 and 100% washed, but I try to keep up with what's going on in the music world.  I gave Olivia Rodrigo a shot and like a lot of it.  She makes some good pop/rock ("Good 4 You", "Bad Idea Right?") and some good ballads ("Enough for You", "Drivers License").  It's all cleverly written and she wears the late teens/early 20's angst/rebellion well.  Certainly much better than a lot of other who have tried the same thing.  I also really like "Vampires", but it kind of loses me by the end.  I found a full piano version and it's pretty great.

Quick CSB.  I tend to listen to music loudly in my car and when I was going through Olivia Rodrigo songs, I happened to drive by McCallum High right as school got out.  I had to turn it down, so a bunch of teens didn't see some creep in his 40's (probably look 60 to them) listening to her in front of their school.

On 12/4/2023 at 11:37 AM, Goredho said:

98% of what my kids listen to is crap, but I think this is a great song.  How about yours?

That’s 2 years old. I heard it for the first time one night on NPR last October. I brought it up with a couple Millennials I knew the next day and they were familiar with him. It’s not like he was hip or happening or “now.” But yeah, I thought that was kind of funny. Pretty good. Not like, ‘OMG, you gotta check this out!’

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/14/2023 at 3:41 PM, stc said:

it's avril lavigne for the current generation, with slightly better songwriting...maybe. 

It's quite a bit more askew of the modern zeitgeist than Avril Lavigne was, IMO.  Her music was an even more radio friendly version of the pop punk that was absolutely dominating youth culture at that time, which I can speak to in an educated sense as I was a pop punk inhaling teen at that time.  Olivia Rodrigo seems to be digging back into music that hasn't been particularly fashionable as of late.

On 12/4/2023 at 12:17 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Last year for Christmas, my 18 yo got us tickets to a show at Emo's of her favorite little known artist - Noah Kahan.  Great show with approximately 1600 people. 

I'll bet that was a really good show.  He's blowing up now.  My youngest got me listening to his music.  We will be going to the show when he  comes to Denver this summer.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I'll bet that was a really good show.  He's blowing up now.  My youngest got me listening to his music.  We will be going to the show when he  comes to Denver this summer.

Yeah.  We saw him again at ACL Fest in the fall and my daughter is going to one of his shows at the Moody Center this summer.  Moody is a 15000 seat venue and he added a second night.  He is definitely blowing up.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 3:05 PM, Stringer said:

I am 41 and 100% washed, but I try to keep up with what's going on in the music world.  I gave Olivia Rodrigo a shot and like a lot of it.  She makes some good pop/rock ("Good 4 You", "Bad Idea Right?") and some good ballads ("Enough for You", "Drivers License").  It's all cleverly written and she wears the late teens/early 20's angst/rebellion well.  Certainly much better than a lot of other who have tried the same thing.  I also really like "Vampires", but it kind of loses me by the end.  I found a full piano version and it's pretty great.

Quick CSB.  I tend to listen to music loudly in my car and when I was going through Olivia Rodrigo songs, I happened to drive by McCallum High right as school got out.  I had to turn it down, so a bunch of teens didn't see some creep in his 40's (probably look 60 to them) listening to her in front of their school.

Her tour is starting-- all the young women in my household and their friend group are more excited about this than the Eras tour.