When I heard we had a crack at a Jew doctor from New York City, well, I don't have to tell you I jumped

austingirl

I seriously LOLed at the episode where Maurice fires Chris from the radio because he mentions Walt Whitman's homosexual tendencies, then proceeds to play nothing but show tunes the whole time he fills in for him. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Been waiting for this to start streaming for a long time.  One of my all time favorites.   I particularly like the more odd and surreal episodes, like Aurora Borealis and The Body in Question.  The minor characters like Bernard and Adam are also wonderful. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

Been waiting for this to start streaming for a long time.

I’m really shocked Amazon pulled it off, even though they have all the money.  It’s been in licensing hell for years because of all of the various licensed music played during the series.  If Amazon can get Northern Exposure, I wonder if they could get the old school Muppet Babies, given all of its movie clips.

I just noticed it last night, as I've been more Paramount focused lately.  It's easily one of my favorite series of all time.  It feels like the timing of this with Prime's upcoming ads policy is not coincidental. 

5 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

I don't know enough about the original run to be able to tell, but I assume a lot of music has either been cut out or replaced? Anyone know?

4 hours ago, Deej said:

The series box set has the music replaced. The European version has all the original music, I’d assume Amazon has the replacement music.

You know, I did noticed most of the music is well-known songs but covers I'd never heard of. I thought it was just an artistic choice but now that you mention it, it makes sense that they'd swap it out for the originals.

1 hour ago, austingirl said:

You know, I did noticed most of the music is well-known songs but covers I'd never heard of. I thought it was just an artistic choice but now that you mention it, it makes sense that they'd swap it out for the originals.

Yeah, looking through http://www.moosechick.com at the episode guide, and it's hard to tell.  I'm not far into the pilot, but the two songs so far are what's listed on MooseChick.com as the original songs/artists.

It's clearly Hank Williams Jr's "Family Traditions" playing in the bar in the pilot episode.

They list the Richard Berry version of Louie, Louie on Moosechick.com and that's what played in the opening where Ed and Joel are in the truck.  It sounds different from the one we all remember (The Kingsmen), but it's possible this was the original soundtrack from the 90s, because Ed mentions R&B when he's asking Joel about music, and this is the R&B version, sung by the original writer, which is a very Ed thing to have (Kinsgsmen was more rock and roll/pop).

Okay, poking through reddit, the US Blu-Ray of Northern Exposure has some licensed stuff, some replacement, but a lot of fans say "Who put the bomp” is the litmus test - in the opening shower scene in S1 E5, the original song was below, and it's not in the US Blu-Ray or Amazon Prime streaming versions (apparently all the original music is in the overseas physical media versions).

With that said, the substituted music seems to be decent (and there is plenty of the original licensed music, so it's probably just a few studios or artists).

On 1/8/2024 at 2:12 PM, Ollie Slatt said:

Been waiting for this to start streaming for a long time.  One of my all time favorites.   I particularly like the more odd and surreal episodes, like Aurora Borealis and The Body in Question.  The minor characters like Bernard and Adam are also wonderful. 

The best episode of the entire series was that Aurora Borealis one. Adam and Bernard were both great in that one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

The best episode of the entire series was that Aurora Borealis one. Adam and Bernard were both great in that one. 

Completely agree. Joel reminds me of Dennis the Menace when he's with Adam.

Texas Monthly did a nice article, “The Seven Ages of Barry Corbin” talking about all of his roles

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/the-seven-ages-of-barry-corbin/

Over his sixty-year career, he’s had more than two hundred roles onstage, on TV, and in the movies. They’ve mostly been supporting roles, often authority figures—a natural fit, given his large frame and confident presence. He’s played fifteen sheriffs, several generals, a few wise uncles, a swaggering astronaut, and a hard-core basketball coach. He’s also played psychotic patriarchs, wealthy Texans, Santa Claus, and Lyndon Johnson. Even when his characters are overbearing or murderous, Corbin finds ways to make them human and likable—so much so that he often steals the show, as he did portraying General Jack Beringer in WarGames and astronaut Maurice Minnifield in Northern Exposure. Known as a character actor, he always seems like he’s genuinely enduring whatever his character is enduring—while also somehow remaining Barry Corbin. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/10/2024 at 9:28 PM, YChang said:

My god, I forgot how smoldering hot Janine Turner was in this show. 

Great show. I watched it regularly back in the day.

As mentioned earlier upthread, the classic music from the original has noticeably been changed and is a little jarring at times. I don't remember what song it was, but I noticed it sounded familiar yet it still took me a few moments to identify - it was a little bit distracting.

Lastly, as Ychang correctly pointed out, Janine Turner was absolutely gorgeous in a decidedly non-glamorous role. 

• Like 1

My wife bought me the box set for Christmas about 10 years ago.  My then 15-yo daughter hijacked it and watched the whole set in about 5 days.  She later named her first car Cicily.

Ed Chigliak and Marilyn were my favorite regular characters.  

The last season really sucked, IMO.  I don't think I've ever watched the finale.

I used to always go fishing near Roslyn, WA before the show started, so it was always weird to see the Roslyn Cafe mural every show.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Thanks for bringing this up, all the shit that's out there, after a while I get tired of scrolling and flip over to this. Forgot how good it was, at least for the first couple seasons. Good enough for me. 

For an early 90s show, they did a pretty good job of dealing with issues of race amongst the natives as well as homophobia. Not perfect, but I like how Joel's super empirical science mind is challenged by Native beliefs and how the non-native locals are open to them. And I've already mentioned Maurice and how his love of musicals and fine food, among other things, are kinda gay-coded. He gets so offended when the gay couple shows up in season 2, who wants to buy something from him, and he realizes they think he's one of them, but he still likes what he likes. (Also, one half of the gay couple is Duncan from Seinfeld, but I digress.) 

On 1/19/2024 at 12:49 AM, Beau Vine said:

My wife bought me the box set for Christmas about 10 years ago.  My then 15-yo daughter hijacked it and watched the whole set in about 5 days.  She later named her first car Cicily.

Ed Chigliak and Marilyn were my favorite regular characters.  

The last season really sucked, IMO.  I don't think I've ever watched the finale.

I used to always go fishing near Roslyn, WA before the show started, so it was always weird to see the Roslyn Cafe mural every show.

I lived nearby too. Made an evening XC ski run on the old coal trail to the Brick and happened upon their prime rib night. I also made it to the town movie theater whenever I could which is located in a renovated funeral home, I believe.

Great show. I watched it regularly back in the day.
As mentioned earlier upthread, the classic music from the original has noticeably been changed and is a little jarring at times. I don't remember what song it was, but I noticed it sounded familiar yet it still took me a few moments to identify - it was a little bit distracting.
Lastly, as Ychang correctly pointed out, Janine Turner was absolutely gorgeous in a decidedly non-glamorous role. 

Janine was banging Troy Aikman around that time.

We loved this show from day one. It was so original and funny.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Texzilla58 said:

Janine was banging Troy Aikman around that time.

Her daughter, Juliette Turner-Jones, was born in 1997. Juliette legally hyphenated her surname in 2006 to include the name of her father, Jerry Jones Jr., son of the Dallas Cowboys' owner. Turner was once engaged to Alec Baldwin and also dated Troy Aikman, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Mark Grace and Sylvester Stallone

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Her daughter, Juliette Turner-Jones, was born in 1997. Juliette legally hyphenated her surname in 2006 to include the name of her father, Jerry Jones Jr., son of the Dallas Cowboys' owner. Turner was once engaged to Alec Baldwin and also dated Troy Aikman, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Mark Grace and Sylvester Stallone

7cb5d8ea-b5b1-4e87-ae93-d48b9907f25b_tex

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/26/2024 at 7:43 PM, tx 3 putt said:

That's a pretty elite set of Eskimo brothers. My most famous Eskimo brother is Bruce Willis.

I'm pulling for you Bruce, my bro.