Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

26 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I read over the weekend that we're missing the tournament this year and won't even make the NIT next year

Thanks for weighing in Ms. Haith. 
I never made either of those statements because I don’t think it’s that making is that big of an achievement but should be a minimum expectation.  Good win and credit the coaches for not losing the team after last week. It was actually fun for a change. However, not being competitive in the Houston and Kansas games is probably a better barometer of future success than beating a diminished Tech team.  

4 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I never made either of those statements because I don’t think it’s that making is that big of an achievement but should be a minimum expectation.  Good win and credit the coaches for not losing the team after last week. It was actually fun for a change. However, not being competitive in the Houston and Kansas games is probably a better barometer of future success than beating a diminished Tech team.  

Every time this season I thought they were about to crash and bun they turn it around out of nowhere. 

tenor.gif

But on the other hand, every time we show a glimpse of potential for a few games, they lay an egg and remind us they are a poor defensive, low IQ, basketball team. And ultimately, that's on RT for them not playing to their capabilities. We shouldnt have so much wild fluctuation in our play. 

5 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Every time this season I thought they were about to crash and bun they turn it around out of nowhere. 

tenor.gif

But on the other hand, every time we show a glimpse of potential for a few games, they lay an egg and remind us they are a poor defensive, low IQ, basketball team. And ultimately, that's on RT for them not playing to their capabilities. We shouldnt have so much wild fluctuation in our play. 

At no point this year have I thought we were a final 4 team. But, my assertion has always been that we had better individual talent than was showing up in the collective results of the team.  Hence why I don’t believe RT has done a good job coaching this team. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reality Check said:

No, I think going 22-8 and taking Texas to the Elite Eight (with one of our four best players sitting on the bench due to injury) and following up with an 18-10 start (No. 24 BPI) to this point means it's absurd to be talking about firing the guy.

Texas has lost by 20+ to three teams -- all road games at Top 10 opponents. You can even throw in a 15-point loss at home vs. Iowa State. None of that suggests a 20-point loss to an unranked team, albeit one that is still a lock for the NCAA Tournament. 

And I'm not going to bother "come getting you" because you've chosen to be miserable. You and others are so invested in Terry's failure that you were probably ready to throw (ironically) beer cans and water bottles at the TV when the Horns were up 30. 

I think Chris Ogden could have coached last year's team to the elite 8 or beyond.

*Love Oggy. No disrespect 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

tenor.gif

You mean like when Chris Beard's 1st Texas team went 6-7 after January ended, and saw one of the most talented portal players leave.

Edited by HtownHorn

46 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You mean like when Chris Beard's 1st Texas team went 6-7 after January ended?

There are definitely more than a few similarities between that team and this team. But as I've pointed out before, we were just so starved for a tournament win and we finally got it, and it erased a lot of the bad memories that happened down the stretch.

We lost by double digits 3 times in conference play that year, and we've lost by double digits 4 times in conference play this year. We beat 3 ranked teams in 2021, and we've beaten 3 ranked teams this year. We lost 3 home conference games in 2021, and we've lost 4 home conference games this year. That team was preseason top 5, this team was preseason top 15ish. 

Edited by Hookem2147

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We lost by double digits 3 times in conference play that year, and we've lost by double digits 3 times in conference play this year. We beat 3 ranked teams in 2021, and we've beaten 3 ranked teams this year. We lost 3 home conference games in 2021, and we've lost 4 home conference games this year. That team was preseason top 5, this team was preseason top 15ish. 

Four times, I'm afraid. At home to Tech, and on the road to BYU, Houston and Kansas.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Houston lost by double digits at Kansas 

And Kansas lost by 29 at Tech in addition to losing at WVU and at UCF

But please, keep throwing out misogynistic personal insults and pretending like you have some clue what you’re talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Houston lost by double digits at Kansas 

And Kansas lost by 29 at Tech in addition to losing at WVU and at UCF

But please, keep throwing out misogynistic personal insults and pretending like you have some clue what you’re talking about. 

I admire your dedication to tilting at windmills. While not the most articulate of stances, I do commend your effort. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

You mean like when Chris Beard's 1st Texas team went 6-7 after January ended, and saw one of the most talented portal players leave.

Look, RT isnt going to be fired at the end of this season. I actually agree with that, it would be unfair. He has the right to try and figure this thing out. The people who are upset (me included) with him are due to the sloppy play and low IQ shenanigans game after game. He also doesnt have a pedigree of success like Beard did, so that 100% should factor in. He has no pedigree at all, so his leash will be much shorter. Let's see what he does next year. I think he will need to be a top 6 seed in the tournament and finish top 4 in the SEC in order to keep his job. 

Actually, Texas has five double-digit losses this season, four of which are to teams in the Top 13 BPI -- @Houston, @Kansas, vs. Marquette, home to Iowa State -- and home to Texas Tech.

None of which changes the fact that we have a No. 24 BPI rating and three winnable games down the stretch -- vs. Oklahoma State, @ Baylor and vs. Oklahoma. 

And I imagine we'll go 1-1 in Kansas City, losing by double digits to Houston or Iowa State, and 1-1 in the NCAA Tournament, losing by double digits to UConn or Purdue. 

So does a 21-10 (10-8) or 20-11 (9-9) Big 12 record and 23-12/22-13 overall record warrant 21 pages of discussion on firing a coach in his second season after being thrown into a dumpster fire and reaching the Elite Eight a year ago? 

Only in Austin, man. Only in Austin. 

On 2/19/2024 at 5:32 PM, shadow_operative said:

which falls on the coach. 

No. It falls on genetics and upbringing... A coach can only maximize / optimize what a player will bring.

There is a reason only certain players go play for Kelvin Sampson. I'm not convinced all of these dudes would...

Having said that, I liked how they played last night. That shows me what they can do. The coach has to keep them at the level consistently. THAT is on him.

All I know is that last night's win was glorious. I refuse to root for Terry to lose and miss the tournament just so I can be correct. I want to be wrong. I want Texas to win in basketball and be very successful. If that's under Terry, I'll be thrilled. 

I was ready to stick a fork in this team for this season, and then they pull that thumping in Lubbock. That was so much fun! 

• Hook 'Em 5

22 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Look, RT isnt going to be fired at the end of this season. I actually agree with that, it would be unfair. He has the right to try and figure this thing out. The people who are upset (me included) with him are due to the sloppy play and low IQ shenanigans game after game. He also doesnt have a pedigree of success like Beard did, so that 100% should factor in. He has no pedigree at all, so his leash will be much shorter. Let's see what he does next year. I think he will need to be a top 6 seed in the tournament and finish top 4 in the SEC in order to keep his job. 

I’m not sure there is anyone on this board who actually thinks RT was going to be fired this year.  I sure didn’t.  
The things you point out are facts that the pro RT crowd refuse to admit. I actually think we are stuck with him for three years. Either he earns an extension at that point or not. 
My opinion is that his roster management and coaching were average at best this year. I’m personally really invested in Texas basketball both emotionally and financially and do think we could have done better than a guy with RT’s historical level of performance. 
Next year will be critical to RT’s future. If he makes strides and sets himself up for serious success in year three things could get interesting. The thing is, I just don’t really see anything that leads me to believe he’s capable of doing that.  If he does, I will be happy to admit I was wrong and give him all the credit he deserves. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

You are a sooner right?

And I think he deserves another year as well.

Yes, it's more tongue in cheek.  But I really don't think he's as shitty as most here.  But I overreact to OU coaching too, although I think Moser is the guy...just in the NIL era, UT's hoops ceiling is significantly higher than OU's most years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yes, it's more tongue in cheek.  But I really don't think he's as shitty as most here.  But I overreact to OU coaching too, although I think Moser is the guy...just in the NIL era, UT's hoops ceiling is significantly higher than OU's most years. 

I think Moser knows basketball and can evaluate talent but is an average game day coach.

I am really not sure what RT is good at.  I guess just being a good guy that players like?

43 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I am really not sure what RT is good at.  I guess just being a good guy that players like?

pretty much. as a HC his teams have only been consistent at three things:

•they don’t turn the ball over 

•they give up lots of offensive rebounds

•they don’t get to the FT line

so, of the three things that his teams consistently do, two of them are bad. pretty much everything else that kenpom tracks shows his teams to be all over the place. there’s no apparent identity or philosophy here.

IMG_9698.jpeg

IMG_9699.jpeg

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

So does a 21-10 (10-8) or 20-11 (9-9) Big 12 record and 23-12/22-13 overall record warrant 21 pages of discussion on firing a coach in his second season after being thrown into a dumpster fire and reaching the Elite Eight a year ago? 

Only in Austin, man. Only in Austin. 

So says the guy posting on . . . page 21.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think Moser knows basketball and can evaluate talent but is an average game day coach.

Yeah I think with the UT brand he can get some players and is likeable.  Any tough outpost he would suck at - he’s already proven that.  

2 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Low IQ shenandigans are player problems. You think Terry is coaching Hunter and Mitchell to be mentally and physically weak with the ball. It's amazing that a shitty coach like Scott Drew routinely had sloppy play and low IQ shenanagins game after game until he stopped recruiting those types of players and became a coach that won the tournament. Now, if you want to blame Terry for something it was thinking Hunter and Mitchell could be salvaged. Even though both are having career seasons in terms of shooting, they still aren't playing consistent winning basketball. That doesn't fall on the coaching staff, unless you think he should be benching Hunter and Mitchell until their game to game effort improves.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

He's showing he can be an elite recruiter, and we have seen what he can do when he has elite college talent.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Low IQ shenandigans are player problems.

maybe for freshmen, or for guys who are still inexperienced. we are 5th in the country in D-1 experience with an average of 3.21 years played. playing stupid basketball, being volatile, being unpredictable, these should not be descriptors of a team with this much experience. 

also LOL at the idea that scott drew just started recruiting a more mentally strong type player and that’s why his program got good. give me a break. there are coaches who demand a certain level of competence, effort, and reliability from their players, and RT is not one of those guys.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Low IQ shenandigans are player problems. You think Terry is coaching Hunter and Mitchell to be mentally and physically weak with the ball. It's amazing that a shitty coach like Scott Drew routinely had sloppy play and low IQ shenanagins game after game until he stopped recruiting those types of players and became a coach that won the tournament. Now, if you want to blame Terry for something it was thinking Hunter and Mitchell could be salvaged. Even though both are having career seasons in terms of shooting, they still aren't playing consistent winning basketball. That doesn't fall on the coaching staff, unless you think he should be benching Hunter and Mitchell until their game to game effort improves.

I don’t really agree with all of that. I think a staff does have a responsibility and need, to be able to develop players. Now, if your position is that they are beyond anyone being able to coach them or scheme them to improve or be more effective, then why are they on the team?

I’m also not sure I agree with Mitchell being a scrub although I do see how minds could differ on it. He does need some work on his offensive game and strength but his athleticism is off the charts and he generally plays better than average defense. I’m just not sure why he’s not a better shooter.  I’m anxious to follow him after he leaves because I just really feel like someone should have been able to develop him more than he is currently showing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s not the coach it’s the players is the shift when it fits his narrative. But it is the coach for the rockets when he hated Silas and now the same guy(green) is playing worse under the new coach but it’s green now. Either way Terry will get his shot. College basketball is a combination of great coaches that recruit kids to a system(we don’t have one) and makes them better throughout the season and year to year. It’s probably better to just say that great coaches are few and far between and we haven’t found ours yet. Welll we did but you know. 

with all that, props to Terry for last night. We looked prepared and we played hard so I just would love to see consistency from his team. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I’m also not sure I agree with Mitchell being a scrub although I do see how minds could differ on it. He does need some work on his offensive game and strength but his athleticism is off the charts and he generally plays better than average defense. I’m just not sure why he’s not a better shooter.  I’m anxious to follow him after he leaves because I just really feel like someone should have been able to develop him more than he is currently showing. 

I don't think Mitchell will suddenly learn to shoot in the pros. So what will he be with all that height, wingspan and athleticism? I fear he'll be Kai Jones without the dance moves. 

13 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I don't think Mitchell will suddenly learn to shoot in the pros. So what will he be with all that height, wingspan and athleticism? I fear he'll be Kai Jones without the dance moves. 

kai is actually an nba level player, he just weirded himself out of the league. mitchell will have a long and decent career overseas. really too bad about kai.

it bothers me that we still have people saying that rodney terry “led us to the elite 8”, because, well, no he didn’t. jabari rice led us there; marcus carr led us there; dylan disu led us there; our three point defense, one of RT’s biggest weaknesses as a coach, led us there. us going to the elite 8 got RT the job, but let’s stop acting like he did anything in particular to lead that team to those wins. the senior laden team who had been well drilled by their previous HC won those games.

Every team in this league has a few games where everything goes their way and so they look like world beaters. I believe Fran was talking about that during the game. The great teams are more consistent than the average ones obviously. While beating Tech is always fulfilling, we need to play with more consistency to be great and to prove that those games are not flukes.

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it bothers me that we still have people saying that rodney terry “led us to the elite 8”, because, well, no he didn’t. jabari rice led us there; marcus carr led us there; dylan disu led us there; our three point defense, one of RT’s biggest weaknesses as a coach, led us there. us going to the elite 8 got RT the job, but let’s stop acting like he did anything in particular to lead that team to those wins. the senior laden team who had been well drilled by their previous HC won those games.

Yeah... Krzyzewski stealing credit from Laettner and Grant Hill for what they did has always pissed me off. Ditto for Phil Jackson claiming he led the Bulls to a three-peat.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Yeah... Krzyzewski stealing credit from Laettner and Grant Hill for what they did has always pissed me off. Ditto for Phil Jackson claiming he led the Bulls to a three-peat.  

yep, that’s an apt comparison. 👌🏻 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7ywq20xn89m2qktocrr

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I think he will need to be a top 6 seed in the tournament and finish top 4 in the SEC in order to keep his job. 

But if THIS YEAR he's a seven seed in the tournament and finishes tied for fourth in a conference that's better than the SEC he's going to have to prove his value to you in 2024-25, huh? 

3 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

But if THIS YEAR he's a seven seed in the tournament and finishes tied for fourth in a conference that's better than the SEC he's going to have to prove his value to you in 2024-25, huh? 

Yes. Because he is underachieving with this current team and if he cant reach that low bar of 4th in the SEC and a 6 seed next year; that is what we call regression. Trajectory is important. 

25 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

If he makes a series of Sweet 16s he's never getting fired. If he doesn't, he will at some point. People can predict whatever they want about his career trajectory at Texas. For example, I don't think he's going to make it long term. But I'd love to be proven wrong, and the way to prove me wrong is to have some level of consistent NCAA tournament success. 

To me he gets some credit for that team making it to the Elite Eight, even if Chris Beard was the architect for the program. That was some crazy stuff that went down. Things could have easily gone sideways. They didn't, and it was a blast to follow. I'm not able to be completely dismissive of him because of that. I'm also not watching what he's done this year and thinking I've misjudged him as a coach. I have no idea what team is going to show up from game to game. If that ends up being a formula to make it to the second weekend of the tournament, he has a lifetime position. 

I also don't mean if he falls short of the 2nd weekend one time he will be canned. I'm just saying if he can't make it there again after his first season over the next few years, I don't see him being extended. To me that's pretty much the bottom line. Things can be accelerated if he fails to make the tournament, but the victory over Texas Tech has me hopeful in a way I wasn't prior to that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

CDC has said multiple times he wants his programs to be top 10 consistently because eventually you can "preparation meets opportunity" your way to a title.

I look at this a bit differently.  what is most important is a high seed, not if you make it to the sweet 16 consistently

If he really wants basketball to win a title he needs a coach that can consistently get into the 3 or maybe 4 seed line.  Since 1985 33 out of the 38 champs were 1,2, or 3 seeds. a 3 seed is basically top 12.  That's what you need to do consistently(not every year but consistently).  Until you do that the chances of winning it all or even making a final four are pretty remote.

I'm just thinking that Terry ain't that guy.  He's a decent coach, and certainly not a bad coach, he's just not the guy to put you in a position to win it all at some point.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

CDC has said multiple times he wants his programs to be top 10 consistently because eventually you can "preparation meets opportunity" your way to a title.

I look at this a bit differently.  what is most important is a high seed, not if you make it to the sweet 16 consistently

If he really wants basketball to win a title he needs a coach that can consistently get into the 3 or maybe 4 seed line.  Since 1985 33 out of the 38 champs were 1,2, or 3 seeds. a 3 seed is basically top 12.  That's what you need to do consistently(not every year but consistently).  Until you do that the chances of winning it all or even making a final four are pretty remote.

I'm just thinking that Terry ain't that guy.  He's a decent coach, and certainly not a bad coach, he's just not the guy to put you in a position to win it all at some point.

Del Conte can say whatever he wants, and you can interpret it anyway you want, but the fact still stands coaches aren't fired after making it to the second weekend. They're fired for not making the tournament. And if they go on a long enough string of losing in the first or second round, that can do it as well. 

I'm not saying you have to be satisfied with making it to the Sweet 16 and nothing more. I'm simply saying it's enough to keep his job. 

I also believe college basketball is heading towards a future where we won't see many future star NBA players on college rosters. NBA role players, sure, but not star players. It's going to be more challenging to put together a loaded lineup. What will count for more is having a vision, being able to bring in the right players from the portal, add them to existing players brought in as freshmen and developed, and then getting players bought in to your vision. I feel like it's going to be easier to advance deeper in the tournament in the future than it has in the past. While last year may have been extreme, I don't think it's going to be an anomaly. 

12 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Del Conte can say whatever he wants, and you can interpret it anyway you want, but the fact still stands coaches aren't fired after making it to the second weekend. They're fired for not making the tournament. And if they go on a long enough string of losing in the first or second round, that can do it as well. 

I'm not saying you have to be satisfied with making it to the Sweet 16 and nothing more. I'm simply saying it's enough to keep his job. 

I also believe college basketball is heading towards a future where we won't see many future star NBA players on college rosters. NBA role players, sure, but not star players. It's going to be more challenging to put together a loaded lineup. What will count for more is having a vision, being able to bring in the right players from the portal, add them to existing players brought in as freshmen and developed, and then getting players bought in to your vision. I feel like it's going to be easier to advance deeper in the tournament in the future than it has in the past. While last year may have been extreme, I don't think it's going to be an anomaly. 

and you can say whatever you want and think whatever you want.  Terry isn't going to consistently get to the 2nd weekend.

26 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and you can say whatever you want and think whatever you want.  Terry isn't going to consistently get to the 2nd weekend.

Well, you and I are on the same page there. I'm just saying that's the criteria. Not 1, 2 and 3 seeds. And we don't know for sure until we know for sure, even when we think we do. I just know I'm rooting for him to be successful, regardless of my personal opinion of the likelihood of that happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think that next year’s team will be better than. This year’s team, but Disu will be sorely missed.

Hmmm. Who make up your 7 deep for Texas next season? If one of them is a 6-10 or taller freak of nature with skills now playing at another college, and another is a big, quick transfer guard who can shoot, I might agree with you. But those are hardly givens, no matter how the freshmen pan out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This thread's very enlightening.

I learned that last year's success was thanks to Chris Beard and the players. Chris Beard's associate HC and then interim HC for the majority of the season had nothing to do with it.

And this year when we win it's thanks to the players. When we lose it's because RT picked bad players to play for his team. 

It all makes a lot of sense.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4