Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

38 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

For a couple years late in Rick's tenure at Texas, no school produced more solid draft picks with less to show for it.

And then Shaka kept it going! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

55 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

For a couple years late in Rick's tenure at Texas, no school produced more solid draft picks with less to show for it. When he followed up a string of disappointing postseasons with quotes like this, I think we all knew he was on thin ice:

"We would love to win a national championship, but we're not obsessed with it because we're obsessed with these guys trying to live their NBA dream. What's happened to Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge, T.J. Ford -- I'd give up a national title for all of our guys to be able to live their dream."

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2011/06/29/rick-barnes-and-the-nagging-question

It’s somewhat amazing to me the amount of people that failed to understand what Rick was saying here. This lives on somehow. The next one will be Sark’s scripted play nonsense.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

For a couple years late in Rick's tenure at Texas, no school produced more solid draft picks with less to show for it. When he followed up a string of disappointing postseasons with quotes like this, I think we all knew he was on thin ice:

"We would love to win a national championship, but we're not obsessed with it because we're obsessed with these guys trying to live their NBA dream. What's happened to Kevin Durant, LaMarcus Aldridge, T.J. Ford -- I'd give up a national title for all of our guys to be able to live their dream."

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2011/06/29/rick-barnes-and-the-nagging-question

I was pretty upset when I read this back in the day but I get Ricks perspective.  Hes a genuine guy that cares about people.  
the rumor when he got canned was he could’ve saved his job by firing his staff.  He decided not to

12 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

It’s somewhat amazing to me the amount of people that failed to understand what Rick was saying here. This lives on somehow. The next one will be Sark’s scripted play nonsense.

What was Barnes trying to say, then? Because he said some other things that made about as little sense, from a Texas fan's perspective. Regardless of quotes, though, he recruited extremely well but to a great extent squandered that talent in March. Not that he's the only coach to do so, but his last few Texas teams trended downward as the season went on. His overall record belied those swoons. 

The real problem with that quote is that it hints at an either/or situation, which couldn't be further from the truth.  You can win a shit ton of games and even titles with the kind of talent he brought in.  The fact that we didn't doesn't mean those guys got drafted higher and thus benefitted from Barnes' master plan.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The real problem with that quote is that it hints at an either/or situation, which couldn't be further from the truth.  You can win a shit ton of games and even titles with the kind of talent he brought in.  The fact that we didn't doesn't mean those guys got drafted higher and thus benefitted from Barnes' master plan.

I’ve been told winning too much is bad for the kids. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I was pretty upset when I read this back in the day but I get Ricks perspective.  Hes a genuine guy that cares about people.  
the rumor when he got canned was he could’ve saved his job by firing his staff.  He decided not to

When he lost Terry and Haith after they both took head coaching jobs, the recruiting tailed off.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

he also lost russell sprigmann and rob lanier to HC jobs, and both of them were good recruiters, particularly Springmann who landed KD.

He didn't lose Springmann to a head coaching job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

gotta give Terry credit.  after Tech, Cinci, WVU, and UCF things looked pretty grim.  Beat Baylor at home,  Tech, and OU on the road to get in position where barring massive collapse they are in.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

He didn't lose Springmann to a head coaching job. 

that’s right, i was thinking of ken mcdonald.

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

gotta give Terry credit.  after Tech, Cinci, WVU, and UCF things looked pretty grim.  Beat Baylor at home,  Tech, and OU on the road to get in position where barring massive collapse they are in.

disu getting healthy and back into the lineup + the emergence of chendall weaver have been a huge help as well.

Eh, let's please not use today's outing as a fuel for the fire. Disu was sick, then benched on account of some uneven calls, and then injured on a freak play.

The team did fall apart and lose their shit about that time, but by then, refs were going well out of their way to make sure BU had every advantage to win tonight. 42 motherfucking free throws and all our "bigs," plus our fireplug (Weaver) in foul trouble.

Not saying there aren't reasons to be unhappy with Terry, but after that monumental horse-fucking we were just subjected to, it's rubbing salt in the wound.

• Hook 'Em 1

Eh, let's please not use today's outing as a fuel for the fire. Disu was sick, then benched on account of some uneven calls, and then injured on a freak play.
The team did fall apart and lose their shit about that time, but by then, refs were going well out of their way to make sure BU had every advantage to win tonight. 42 motherfucking free throws and all our "bigs," plus our fireplug (Weaver) in foul trouble.
Not saying there aren't reasons to be unhappy with Terry, but after that monumental horse-fucking we were just subjected to, it's rubbing salt in the wound.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 9:55 AM, Red Five said:

That was not a great quote, then or now. When you're paid millions to win basketball games, it's not a super idea to say "we're not obsessed with winning". 

Shallow perspective.

Remember, at the time, the only way to get the best players (and win) was to be focused on getting NBA players to come spend a year or two in your program. That was the recruiting pitch of champions. Even Duke was starting to crack under the pressure of guys leaving early, which was totally against the culture there.

Winning basketball games at that time was about getting the best players... The same applies today, really.

Posted (edited)

i cannot roll my eyes far back enough in my head whenever somebody brings up that quote as an indictment on barnes. first off, lots of coaches did/do say the same thing. second, the context of the quote was, “we aren’t obsessed with winning championships, we’re obsessed with developing young men and helping them reach their ultimate goals.” it’s absolutely standard coach speak/recruiting stuff, yet it’s been used as some huge red flag for rick barnes for years. as if you all don’t know for a fact just how hard barnes actually is working and trying to win titles; as if you actually believe that he was “admitting” that he doesn’t care about winning. he’s one of the winningest coaches of all time and people are crying about how he doesn’t care about winning. give me a break.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/25/2024 at 12:53 AM, Reality Check said:

We're on track for 20 wins and a No. 8-10 seed in the NCAA Tournament in a rebuilding year that's further been saddled with Kadin Shedrick's injury That means we're getting fewer than 18 minutes per game from one of our only two players over 6-6.

Even money says we get to 20 wins in the regular season. But people will still bitch when we lose to Houston in Kansas City and to UConn or Purdue in the Round of 32.

This.

4 minutes ago, El Squared said:

And we should bitch cuz we saw what a real elite coach could do before he got pussay strangled.

You mean like blow a 20 point lead in the conference tournament and then lose to Purdue in the round of 32.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, El Squared said:

And we should bitch cuz we saw what a real elite coach could do before he got pussay strangled.

What does RT have to do to prove he's a "real elite coach"? Honest question. 

So far he has a Big 12 tournament title, elite 8, and #5/#21 in Kenpom in 2 years. I get it was Beard's roster last year but all he's done as the actual coach at Texas is win 1 NCAA tournament game and 0 Big 12 tournament wins. 

Maybe Beard would have accomplished more with last year's roster but it's all speculative. The Beard dick sucking based on his actual achievements at Texas is odd in the context of RT. 

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

So far he has a Big 12 tournament title, elite 8, and #5/#21 in Kenpom in 2 years. I get it was Beard's roster last year but all he's done as the actual coach at Texas is win 1 NCAA tournament game and 0 Big 12 tournament wins. 

Maybe Beard would have accomplished more with last year's roster but it's all speculative. The Beard dick sucking based on his actual achievements at Texas is odd in the context of RT. 

Recruit and win.

Which means nobody knows what he is right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Recruit and win.

Which means nobody knows what he is right now. 

Agreed.   He has to build a roster than doesn't consist of "starters" who you hope don't get too many minutes.  And then win something with said roster.

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

•tourney every year

•regularly competitive for league title

•2-3 trips to the second weekend per decade

•at least one FF appearance 

•win the league multiple times

•consistently recruit either highly ranked classes or classes of guys who fit your specific style

•high level roster management- recruiting, transfer portal, NIL dealings, roster composition, etc

the thing is, if RT was an elite coach he would have done all of that by now, at other schools. i don’t care that he’s not elite. that’s not news. what i do care about is that two months ago we were barely in the top 50 of kenpom, we had our worst defense in a decade, and we had a shitty early conference run, and now we are no.21 in kenpom, our overall defense (if not our 3P defense) has improved, RT has figured out his best lineups, and that he has clearly done a good job of making in-season adjustments and has Texas on the upswing in march. that’s as much i could as of RT, and he’s done that. really nice job of addressing his teams issues mid season.

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

•tourney every year

•regularly competitive for league title

•2-3 trips to the second weekend per decade

•at least one FF appearance 

•win the league multiple times

•consistently recruit either highly ranked classes or classes of guys who fit your specific style

•high level roster management- recruiting, transfer portal, NIL dealings, roster composition, etc

the thing is, if RT was an elite coach he would have done all of that by now, at other schools. i don’t care that he’s not elite. that’s not news. what i do care about is that two months ago we were barely in the top 50 of kenpom, we had our worst defense in a decade, and we had a shitty early conference run, and now we are no.21 in kenpom, our overall defense (if not our 3P defense) has improved, RT has figured out his best lineups, and that he has clearly done a good job of making in-season adjustments and has Texas on the upswing in march. that’s as much i could as of RT, and he’s done that. really nice job of addressing his teams issues mid season.

Hop on the bandwagon, G.

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the thing is, if RT was an elite coach he would have done all of that by now, at other schools. i don’t care that he’s not elite. 

Thing is you don't have to be an "elite" coach at Texas to win if you know how to utilize the resources. 

Sark was far from an "elite" coach before Texas but he's figured out how to stack talent with our resources. Feels like RT has the right formula with the #9 recruiting class and landing highly sought-after transfers like Abmas/Shedrick. 

• Hook 'Em 2

the thing is, if RT was an elite coach he would have done all of that by now, at other schools.

Would he have pulled this off at Fresno State or at UTEP?

I mean, you're expecting him to have already done this even though only a handful of programs in the country do, and to have done it with infinitely fewer resources.

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Thing is you don't have to be an "elite" coach at Texas to win if you know how to utilize the resources. 

Sark was far from an "elite" coach before Texas but he's figured out how to stack talent with our resources. Feels like RT has the right formula with the #9 recruiting class and landing highly sought-after transfers like Abmas/Shedrick. 

sark is an offensive genius with a well earned reputation as a QB coaching savant. he’s a disciple of the cfb GOAT, and he has an established culture and identity. that’s not an apples to apples comparison. sark has always been on the path to being a star coach with his main issue being his own personal demons and alcohol abuse. RT is much nearer the end of his career is well established as a coach who is not/will not become an elite coach, barring an unprecedented disney movie story type evolution in his third decade as a college coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Would he have pulled this off at Fresno State or at UTEP?

how many times has this been addressed? the answer is yes, yes he would have. that is literally what good coaches do. brad underwood won at SFA; grant mcasland won at UNT; nate oats won at buffalo; chris beard won at UALR and took TTU to the EE and FF in his second and third seasons there; bill self won at oral robert’s and tulane. these are all just very obvious examples that i came up with in 5 seconds off the top of my head. YES. yes rodney terry would have done better in his decade as a HC if were truly a high level coach. stop making this argument, it’s asinine.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

how many times has this been addressed? the answer is yes, yes he would have. that is literally what good coaches do. brad underwood won at SFA; grant mcasland won at UNT; chris beard won at UALR and took TTU to the EE and FF in his second and third seasons there; bill self won at oral robert’s and tulane. these are all just very obvious examples that i came up with in 5 seconds off the top of my head. YES. yes rodney terry would have done better in his decade as a HC if were truly a high level coach. stop making this argument, it’s asinine.

But he's doing good here.

Now.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He needs to be white and suck off derka...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

On 3/4/2024 at 10:43 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Why are you bringing common sense to this thread?

20-11, 9-9 in conference with this roster is pretty good, IMO. This team has two scorers, one of whom is a diminutive streak shooting guard and the other is hurt all the time. Mitchell and Hunter are JAGs, great evals by St. Beard there. Johnson and Holland bailing so late was a tough roster management thing to deal with for any coach, and I really thought we were gonna go sub .500 when we dropped the UCF and WVU games. Next year the team will be more talented (assuming no late bailers). I think we're fine. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Grant McCasland made the NCAA Tournament one time in 7 years coaching at UNT and Arkansas State. Rodney Terry made it once in 10 years at Fresno and UTEP. Not a huge difference.

I agree that RT is not an elite coach and probably will never be one. But to date he is outperforming Shaka at Texas, who many thought was an elite coach both before and after his time at Texas. And the team has finished strong, both this year and last year - something we missed in the later Barnes years.

If he makes the tournament every year, it is going to be hard to get rid of him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

If he makes the tournament every year, it is going to be hard to get rid of him.

I could see a Penders-esque run.  Make the tourney most years, get bounced in the first weekend well more often than not, random Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight appearances.  (He's checked that last box already.)

RT has had a nice turnaround from the start of the season to go from out of the tournament to not in the last 4 in. 

Combined with last season, this is a solid start for RT at Texas. If he builds on this, the sky is the limit, if he repeats this the next two seasons, does he get an extension?

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

Grant McCasland made the NCAA Tournament one time in 7 years coaching at UNT and Arkansas State. Rodney Terry made it once in 10 years at Fresno and UTEP. Not a huge difference.

I agree that RT is not an elite coach and probably will never be one. But to date he is outperforming Shaka at Texas, who many thought was an elite coach both before and after his time at Texas. And the team has finished strong, both this year and last year - something we missed in the later Barnes years.

Is McCasland  the comparison? Because he has coached his ass off this year, inheriting an absolute dumpster fire of a program while also losing the best player early on in the season, and playing the middle of conference without the existing best player on the roster.

Case could easily be made that RT has had more to work with this season than McCasland.

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

how many times has this been addressed? the answer is yes, yes he would have. that is literally what good coaches do. brad underwood won at SFA; grant mcasland won at UNT; nate oats won at buffalo; chris beard won at UALR and took TTU to the EE and FF in his second and third seasons there; bill self won at oral robert’s and tulane. these are all just very obvious examples that i came up with in 5 seconds off the top of my head. YES. yes rodney terry would have done better in his decade as a HC if were truly a high level coach. stop making this argument, it’s asinine.

There are 351 NCAA basketball teams. Nobody on your list has done what you claim Rodney Terry should have done at Fresno State and UTEP to earn your praise. 

***Brad Underwood cheated at SFA. All three of his NCAA appearances were vacated because they used academically ineligible athletes. 

***Grant McCasland made the NCAA Tournament once in six years at UNT, never making it to the Sweet 16.

***Nate Oats was in Buffalo for four years and made the NCAA Tournament twice, never making it to the Sweet 16. 

***You can't compare Chris Beard's success at Texas Tech (a Power 5 conference school) to Terry's time at Fresno and UTEP. He had one year at a mid-level D I school (UALR) but didn't make the Sweet 16 there.

***Bill Self was 55-54 in four years at Oral Roberts and 42-22 in his first two years at Tulsa (a one-and-done in the NCAAs) before making his Elite Eight appearance in his final season. 

Edited by Reality Check
  • Hook 'Em 2