2024 Presidential Election Thread

bolverk

13 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
39 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:
Pick your candidate.  Who would be a better choice than Biden right now?

Hell, I'd kill for someone like Obama or Clinton. But the left went batshit crazy and there is none of these types around I guess.

Confused Threes Company GIF by MOODMAN

Hell, I'd kill for someone like Obama or Clinton. But the left went batshit crazy and there is none of these types around I guess.

Find a time machine and go back to 2014 and tell yourself that in one decade your party will be anti Bud Light, NFL, most country music, and the general concept of democracy but very pro Russia, Kanye, Tesla, and book burning… all because Donald Trump said so. Let me know what past you says about those developments.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This post is completely and utterly detached from reality. Amusingly so. Joe Biden was old as shit in 2019 too, and the Democrats couldn't find anyone worth a damn to beat him. The cast of characters would have largely been the same had Biden not sought reelection.

Sadly, the reverse argument is closer to the truth than what you wrote: Biden--and the power of incumbency, a thriving economy, and low unemployment--might be one of the few people on earth who can beat Donald Trump right now.

Uh huh, tell us more how the left went batshit crazy.

Isn’t that always the thing that enlightened centrists tell us? The left went batshit. Silence about the right going absolute batshit. It’s a hallmark of a troll

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Isn’t that always the thing that enlightened centrists tell us? The left went batshit. Silence about the right going absolute batshit. It’s a hallmark of a troll
Did you not read my post 4 up from your gem of a post?

Just want to remind people on immigration

it was Republicans who went on Fox News and sold our state out after cultivating this environment for 30 years. They went on national TV and said Texas has open borders. And then our Governor gave them an incentive with bus and plane passes. Democrats did not go on news channels and encourage that.

2 minutes ago, cabowabo said:
6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Did you not read my post 4 up from your gem of a post?

Yea you minimized it with a both sides argument acting like it’s been the same intensity and same outcome

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

It’s called Real Wages. There’s a report for that. Post Covid, working class people have seen their pay go up pretty remarkably.

Have these gains overcome the losses?

“In June (2023), for the first time in 26 months, US workers’ real weekly earnings (a week’s worth of wages adjusted for inflation) grew on an annual basis, according to data released this week from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Annual real weekly wages were up 0.6% last month, a rate that’s a tick below the 0.7% gain seen in February 2020.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/16/economy/real-wage-gains-inflation/index.html

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You know two things can be true, right?  

The left tacked too hard left for a lot of centrists like me.  The only reason we vote D is because the right went off the fucking rails.

We are faced with a choice between two octogenarians that can barely string a sentence together, but I'll hold my nose and vote for Biden, not because I think he's a good candidate, but because I'd prefer to not live in a fascist dystopia.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The left tacked too hard left for a lot of centrists like me.  The only reason we vote D is because the right went off the fucking rails.

We are faced with a choice between two octogenarians that can barely string a sentence together, but I'll hold my nose and vote for Biden, not because I think he's a good candidate, but because I'd prefer to not live in a fascist dystopia.

I promise that I'm asking this sincerely--I'm genuinely curious--but what policies have Democrats passed while Biden has been in office that you would consider too hard left?

• Hook 'Em 7

10 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Specify how. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I promise that I'm asking this sincerely--I'm genuinely curious--but what policies have Democrats passed while Biden has been in office that you would consider too hard left?

Passing laws is too far left 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

There really is a lot of batshit craziness in the woke progressive movement

And they’re not really the policy makers of the Democratic Party. They’re not even a majority of the elected officials in DC

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Basically this.  There really is a lot of batshit craziness in the woke progressive movement, but at least they’re not nominating deranged authoritarian lunatics.  It’s a low bar.

No doubt, but are the crazies the ones pushing the policies on the left (as they obviously are on the right)? It sure doesn't feel that way. Do the crazies even hold office?

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, aggie08 said:

No doubt, but are the crazies the ones pushing the policies on the left (as the obviously are on the right)? It sure doesn't feel that way. Do the crazies even hold office?

I think Anthony Devolder is the Democrat taking George Santos' seat next Tuesday.  I hear he's a real Leon Trotsky.  

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree.  The Squad and Bernie are off to the side for the Democrats.  The GOP has the lunatics actually running the asylum. 

Yep. The Progressive Caucus hasn’t taken over the Democratic Party, despite having 99 seats in the House. 

Meanwhile, the 43 members of the Freedom Caucus have total control over the GOP agenda 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Find a time machine and go back to 2014 and tell yourself that in one decade your party will be anti Bud Light, NFL, most country music, and the general concept of democracy but very pro Russia, Kanye, Tesla, and book burning… all because Donald Trump said so. Let me know what past you says about those developments.

And they hate the military.  And they worship a draft dodger who mocked Vietnam POWs.  That’s the icing on the cake.  Ronnie welcomed them home in the 80s, Trump shit all over them in the 2010s.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

it was Republicans who went on Fox News and sold our state out after cultivating this environment for 30 years. They went on national TV and said Texas has open borders. And then our Governor gave them an incentive with bus and plane passes. Democrats did not go on news channels and encourage that.

The Office Thank You GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

Also, as I think everyone has basically alluded to, the crazies on the left want things like free higher education, basic universal income, and universal healthcare. Naive, perhaps, but well-intentioned.

The crazies on the right say out loud things like, "Hey, maybe we shouldn't allow Jews to own stuff."

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Agreed on the unhinged part. Probably not on who exactly is unhinged.  

32 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Have these gains overcome the losses?

“In June (2023), for the first time in 26 months, US workers’ real weekly earnings (a week’s worth of wages adjusted for inflation) grew on an annual basis, according to data released this week from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Annual real weekly wages were up 0.6% last month, a rate that’s a tick below the 0.7% gain seen in February 2020.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/16/economy/real-wage-gains-inflation/index.html

Yup. Check out the poster accusing @wildcat09 of being a blue MAGA as they agree in lockstep with one of the most vocal, far right, racist posters on this website. Look at that horseshoe theory go! 

• Hook 'Em 4

44 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

GOP: DEMS SAY THE BORDER IS OPEN

Real life:

Kamala Harris Dont Come GIF by GIPHY News

Biden starts speaking about 15-20 minutes in this video, and he completes every sentence for the “He’s Skeletor” and can’t finish a sentence crowd.

The only time he abruptly stops, is when he realizes he’s giving them what they wanted when defending his memory regarding his sons death.

• Hook 'Em 1

I read lots of screaming on here about the Left, and I get it. The Left is VERY online and punches way way above its weight in communication capability. You'd think they would be the bloc to make or break the Democrats.

Here's the thing: politically they are irrelevant, as the following evidence will support. Certainly not enough to warrant the hand wringing on this board. There just aren't that many of them, at least those who vote.

Biden has been crushing the primaries up until now. If the Left was such a large presence, surely they could drag themselves to the polls and vote for Marianne Williamson at a greater clip than the 2% she has been getting? Nicely matches the 2% Tulsi Gabbard was drawing back in 2020. Now, Bernie had a good showing in the primaries in 2020 as a Leftist, but he at least has some responsibility and mainstream cred after being in the Senate like 20 years. He heads the Senate Finance Committee, FFS. That takes the edge off.

Next comes the Border Bill, which - let's be honest - was a fucking awful conservative's wet dream of a bill. It had the potential to be a total wedge issue for the entire left-of-center crowd. But most Democrats would have happily voted for it and Biden was going to sign it. Why? Because they know damn well that the number of independents/moderates they could have courted vastly outnumbered the amount of Leftists they would have pissed off. It was a total poison pill but worth it electorally, because the Left is loud but otherwise inconsequential. Now it's the Republicans, in their extreme idiocy, who decided to not only torpedo their own Democrat subversion efforts, but to OWN it. Fucking clowns. There are Republican strategists tearing their hair out right now.

AOC is basically a team player at this point. Ditto Bernie and Warren. Sadly, they have both stopped talking about single payer healthcare, but there is a simple explanation. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Your base assumption is off.  The GOP controls the House, so virtually nothing is getting passed.  And it's not about Biden...it's the direction the party as a whole is headed.

With that in mind I'll list a few issues I have.  Note, these are all issues I have liberal leanings for but think the left has/wants to go too far.

- Immigration is a big one for me.  I'm not saying Biden has an "open border" policy, that's lazy, but look at the sanctuary cities and they are all democrat run.  In courting the hispanic vote, the Democrats have lost the plot.  I don't think walls are the answer, but neither is giving out free money ala the NYC.

- LGBTQ...I'm an ally, or at least I consider myself to be one.  I have many gay friends, work out at a predominately gay gym (I was the first straight member), and enjoy drag shows, but it's getting to the point that you either think trans-women should compete in women's sports or you're an evil, raging homophobe.  Same goes for transitioning children. 

- Reparations.  I don't even know where to start on this one.  It is absolutely a terrible idea.

- Multiculturalism.  This is a little more nuanced.  I think immigrants bringing aspects of their cultures such as foods, music and other arts is healthy.  But I think the US (or any country) needs a national ethos for lack of a better term.  A cliche to illustrate the point, we were meant to be a melting pot, not a quilt.  You came to this country for a reason.  Either assimilate or go back.  When I lived abroad in Europe and South America, I did everything I could to fit in and not expect them to cater to me.  It was once like that here.  I grew up with friends from Russia, Iran, and Vietnam and all of them wanted to be "Americans".  

- The idea of cultural appropriation.  

Obviously I hate the right wing even more, which is why I vote D, but you asked so I answered.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, DixonHur said:

Your base assumption is off.  The GOP controls the House, so virtually nothing is getting passed.  And it's not about Biden...it's the direction the party as a whole is headed.

With that in mind I'll list a few issues I have.  Note, these are all issues I have liberal leanings for but think the left has/wants to go too far.

- Immigration is a big one for me.  I'm not saying Biden has an "open border" policy, that's lazy, but look at the sanctuary cities and they are all democrat run.  In courting the hispanic vote, the Democrats have lost the plot.  I don't think walls are the answer, but neither is giving out free money ala the NYC.

- LGBTQ...I'm an ally, or at least I consider myself to be one.  I have many gay friends, work out at a predominately gay gym (I was the first straight member), and enjoy drag shows, but it's getting to the point that you either think trans-women should compete in women's sports or you're an evil, raging homophobe.  Same goes for transitioning children. 

- Reparations.  I don't even know where to start on this one.  It is absolutely a terrible idea.

- Multiculturalism.  This is a little more nuanced.  I think immigrants bringing aspects of their cultures such as foods, music and other arts is healthy.  But I think the US (or any country) needs a national ethos for lack of a better term.  A cliche to illustrate the point, we were meant to be a melting pot, not a quilt.  You came to this country for a reason.  Either assimilate or go back.  When I lived abroad in Europe and South America, I did everything I could to fit in and not expect them to cater to me.  It was once like that here.  I grew up with friends from Russia, Iran, and Vietnam and all of them wanted to be "Americans".  

Obviously I hate the right wing even more, which is why I vote D, but you asked so I answered.

lol turn off the fox news man, literally everything you listed ranges from exaggerated portrayals of a segment of gen z twitter (itself a very small segment of society) to outright fabrication 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Something something BLM CRT LGBTQ something something.

Everything boils down to race for you.  You're like a broken record. 

But yes, I should have included CRT.  

Slavery and racism have existed in almost every culture for at least 10,000 years and will likely continue to happen for at least another 10,000 years.  

News flash:  As a species, humans prefer to be around people who are like them.  Get over it.

9 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

I obviously don't agree with all of this--or at least its severity in real life society away from our online bubbles--but thank you for sharing.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Heidi Klum Wow GIF by Lifetime

Nice rebuttal.  Very thought provoking. 

Another aspect of the left and right wings is their inability to tolerate dissenting views.  That's why I'm happy in the middle. 

I have balance between conservative ideas and liberal ideas.

34 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Biden starts speaking about 15-20 minutes in this video, and he completes every sentence for the “He’s Skeletor” and can’t finish a sentence crowd.

The only time he abruptly stops, is when he realizes he’s giving them what they wanted when defending his memory regarding his sons death.

Man I don’t know.  I say all this as someone who voted for him in 2020 and will proudly vote for him over Trump again in November.  In the moment where he most needed to show he is of sound mind he failed to finish his thought several times and made several mistakes (e.g. Mexico instead of Israel).  There were certainly moments where he seemed very sharp and appeared to have a firm grasp of the subject matter he was speaking about.  But in my view it is clear he is suffering from significant age-related cognitive impairment.  This is not good.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DixonHur said:

Nice rebuttal.  Very thought provoking. 

Another aspect of the left and right wings is their inability to tolerate dissenting views.  That's why I'm happy in the middle. 

I have balance between conservative ideas and liberal ideas.

You’re so much better than us. Thank you for gracing us with your presence 

image.gif.4118442bd979f7d7bf96879ce28e0e5e.gif

You may spend too much online if you think reparations are one of the core platform of the Democratic party. 

And you think the Democratic Party is about force transitioning of kids? That’s some Fox News/Facebook bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Js1 said:

You’re so much better than us. Thank you for gracing us with your presence 

image.gif.4118442bd979f7d7bf96879ce28e0e5e.gif

You may spend too much online if you think reparations are one of the core platform of the Democratic party. 

And you think the Democratic Party is about force transitioning of kids? That’s some Fox News/Facebook bullshit. 

What are you like 12?  

You're projecting.  I never said anything about forcing.  These are ideas on the left that I disagree with, yet somehow you interpret that as me saying Biden, or anyone else on the left is using Gestapo tactics.  

But at least I learned to never try and engage you in an honest political discussion, so thanks for that.

9 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Man I don’t know.  I say all this as someone who voted for him in 2020 and will proudly vote for him over Trump again in November.  In the moment where he most needed to show he is of sound mind he failed to finish his thought several times and made several mistakes (e.g. Mexico instead of Israel).  There were certainly moments where he seemed very sharp and appeared to have a firm grasp of the subject matter he was speaking about.  But in my view it is clear he is suffering from significant age-related cognitive impairment.  This is not good.

Perhaps the most irritating thing is the same kind of sourced accounts that painted a picture of terrifying incompetence in the Trump White House have quoted Republicans admitting Biden is plenty sharp in private settings; debt ceiling negotiations, for example. Biden has always been a public gaffe machine, now he's a little bit more of one because he's 109 years old. That's really all it is as far as I can tell.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Perhaps the most irritating thing is the same kind of sourced accounts that painted a picture of terrifying incompetence in the Trump White House have quoted Republicans admitting Biden is plenty sharp in private settings; debt ceiling negotiations, for example. Biden has always been a public gaffe machine, now he's a little bit more of one because he's 109 years old. That's really all it is as far as I can tell.

If we're being honest, Biden's pitch to most of America is, "I'm not Trump".  Period.  

I will repeat it.  We have an election coming up that may very well be for the soul and survival of this nation.  We have a poster who had already said he is voting for the guy I think most here would agree is the candidate who isn't going to destroy this country.  And some of you are arguing with him over ideology, policy whatever.

I guarantee you this is what Aaron Sorkin meant when he had Jeff Daniels utter, "If liberals are so fucking smart how come they lose so goddamn always."  It's THIS right here.  It's more important to be right than to fucking win.   I get it..... more intellectual people like to play chess, they want to turn over angles, probe weakness, engage in combat of the mind, BUT sometimes you gotta play checkers and jump a motherfucker.  

If we were on SEC Rant and Dixonhur said, "I'm voting for Trump even though I'm more of a centrist and don't support his direction on all the issues" the gumps over there would say "damn straight, Trump's the man" and that's it.   

TAKE THE WIN

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If we're being honest, Biden's pitch to most of America is, "I'm not Trump".  Period.  

I mean yeah, that's what it was in 2020. It's pretty compelling. Trump was a disaster as President and will be worse a second time around. If Republicans hadn't been thoroughly cucked they would have this election in the bag, but that's their problem.

The funny thing is that if one takes five minutes to look over the record and apply a bit of critical thinking Biden actually has an objectively good record - certainly better than what I expected - but that's typically too much to ask of the American public.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Everything boils down to race for you.  You're like a broken record. 

But yes, I should have included CRT.  

Slavery and racism have existed in almost every culture for at least 10,000 years and will likely continue to happen for at least another 10,000 years.  

News flash:  As a species, humans prefer to be around people who are like them.  Get over it.

So what?

Also, wow.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I will repeat it.  We have an election coming up that may very well be for the soul and survival of this nation.  We have a poster who had already said he is voting for the guy I think most here would agree is the candidate who isn't going to destroy this country.  And some of you are arguing with him over ideology, policy whatever.

I guarantee you this is what Aaron Sorkin meant when he had Jeff Daniels utter, "If liberals are so fucking smart how come they lose so goddamn always."  It's THIS right here.  It's more important to be right than to fucking win.   I get it..... more intellectual people like to play chess, they want to turn over angles, probe weakness, engage in combat of the mind, BUT sometimes you gotta play checkers and jump a motherfucker.  

If we were on SEC Rant and Dixonhur said, "I'm voting for Trump even though I'm more of a centrist and don't support his direction on all the issues" the gumps over there would say "damn straight, Trump's the man" and that's it.   

TAKE THE WIN

Yes I’m done with it. I fundamentally disagree on what he thinks the Democratic Party/left stands for, but we are united in making sure Trump doesn’t win again. Let’s fight it out after November if things go our way

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yup. Check out the poster accusing @wildcat09 of being a blue MAGA as they agree in lockstep with one of the most vocal, far right, racist posters on this website. Look at that horseshoe theory go! 

Yeah, for sure dude.  I have that guy on ignore btw.  I like how pointing how anything in the 'not good' section of the economy for folks is somehow the equivalent of being a republican tool, which is what your super normal wildcat friend came in with right away at me.   Or pointing out any other of Biden's faults is the same thing.  Sure, Chicken and I are on the same page and worthy of the same derision.  It is easier then thinking.  Horseshoe indeed.

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

TAKE THE WIN

The problem with not engaging on the bullshit is that it leads to moderates thinking a lot of completely ridiculous nonsense about Democrats. We had a moderate poster here thinking Hillary had removed classified markings from documents and then emailed them because they fell for the right wing’s bullshit about Hillary, in part because nobody ever pointed out that that was an insane thing to believe until I did it literally last year.

It’s fine to not agree with me on everything. But it’s insane to think, for example, that the Dems are anywhere close to passing reparations or would be if they had the political power to do so.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yeah, for sure dude.  I have that guy on ignore btw.  I like how pointing how anything in the 'not good' section of the economy for folks is somehow the equivalent of being a republican tool, which is what your super normal wildcat friend came in with right away at me.   Or pointing out any other of Biden's faults is the same thing.  Sure, Chicken and I are on the same page and worthy of the same derision.  It is easier then thinking.  Horseshoe indeed.

You should take him off ignore. Maybe seeing when you two are posting the same exact shit would be a wake up call for you. But I guess living in ignorance  is easier than thinking?  

but yes, parroting far right talking points isn’t in any way being a right wing pawn. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It’s fine to not agree with me on everything. But it’s insane to think, for example, that the Dems are anywhere close to passing reparations or would be if they had the political power to do so.

This is the problem with trying to have an honest political debate on this board.

I was pointing out policies on the left I disagree with.  To act like the left isn't the party that has proposed reparations is either willful ignorance or disingenuousness.  Newsome literally appointed the reparations task force in California.

Will it pass?  Probably not, but don't act like it's not a policy being discussed on the left.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1