The Perfect 10 - Heisman to Hall of Fame

orange dream

Checked and didn't see this posted anywhere.  Apparently this has been out for about a year, but i saw it randomly last night and thought it was great. 

7 of the 10 guys who are Heisman winners and Pro Football Hall of Famers sit down to have a discussion. Obviously seeing Earl is awesome, but the others are cool to see also. Just a bit over an hour and worth it!!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

At the end they started talking about next to join- you'd think Lamar is a lock if he gets another MVP or wins SB this year.  Derrick Henry maybe?

It's astounding how many Heisman winners are busts.  It's almost like the award is a media driven award ...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

At the end they started talking about next to join- you'd think Lamar is a lock if he gets another MVP or wins SB this year.  Derrick Henry maybe?

It's astounding how many Heisman winners are busts.  It's almost like the award is a media driven award ...

Was just looking at that. After Charles Woodson in 1997, it's been pretty rough. Number of Pro Bowls in parentheses.

• Maybe???: Newton (3 + 1 MVP)
  • Good-but-not-quite-Hall-worthy: Ricky (1), Palmer (3), Ingram (3)
  • Meh: Dayne, VY (2), Bradford, RGIII (1), Winston (1), Mariota, Mayfield
  • Terrible: Weinke, Leinart, Troy Smith, Tebow, Manziel
  • Non-existent: Crouch, White
  • Jury's still out: Henry (4), Jackson (3 + 1 MVP), Murray (2), Burrow (1), DeVonta Smith

Cam's on the outside looking in, but I guess it's theoretically possible. Current trajectory looks promising for Henry and Jackson. Henry's likely done as part of the "best RB in the NFL" conversation, but if he squeaks out a couple more 1,000 yard seasons it's probably a done deal. Jackson's gotta stay healthy and a Super Bowl win wouldn't hurt. Interestingly, Henry and Jackson were drafted 45th and 32nd overall. A lot of the rest of these guys were high first rounders.

To be fair, there was a big string of crap before Woodson as well. Heisman winners being bonafide NFL stars pretty much ended with the 80s.

Edited by tokamak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Was just looking at that. After Charles Woodson in 1997, it's been pretty rough. Number of Pro Bowls in parentheses.

• Jury's still out: Henry (4), Jackson (3 + 1 MVP), Murray (2), Burrow (1), DeVonta Smith

Cam's on the outside looking in, but I guess it's theoretically possible. Current trajectory looks promising for Henry and Jackson. Henry's likely done as part of the "best RB in the NFL" conversation, but if he squeaks out a couple more 1,000 yard seasons it's probably a done deal. Jackson's gotta stay healthy and a Super Bowl win wouldn't hurt. Interestingly, Henry and Jackson were drafted 45th and 32nd overall. A lot of the rest of these guys were high first rounders.

To be fair, there was a big string of crap before Woodson as well. Heisman winners being bonafide NFL stars pretty much ended with the 80s.

You include Vince in a list of actual Heisman winners just to put him in the "Meh" category?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

Interestingly, Henry and Jackson were drafted 45th and 32nd overall. A lot of the rest of these guys were high first rounders.

Of the Perfect 10, nine were first rounders.  Top ten picks, in fact.

The outlier was Roger - a 10th round pick, due to his service commitment. And the only QB in the bunch.

2 hours ago, tokamak said:

I will always believe Ricky gets in if he laid off the weed***.  I wonder what his take is on that.  Even with the suspensions, he is just over 10,000 yards rushing.  

***I had no issues with him doing it.  I would gladly toke along with him given the opportunity.

4 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I will always believe Ricky gets in if he laid off the weed***.  I wonder what his take is on that.  Even with the suspensions, he is just over 10,000 yards rushing.  

***I had no issues with him doing it.  I would gladly toke along with him given the opportunity.

he probably gets in if he doesn’t hire Master P as his agent, sign the worst contract ever, and then try to play hurt to reach his impossible incentives so that he could get paid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Bo Jackson will be a member at some point.  Plus, he was a baseball All Star. 

Earl ..."steak all week?"  LOL.

Staubach's story about the girl friend was a good one. 

BTW, Angela Hornung....would.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

19 hours ago, tokamak said:

Are you high? Cam Newton is maybe and Ricky and Carson Palmer are close?

I’d guess Joe Burrow is most likely, and he’d make that smaller #1 overall pick club too. Jackson depends on how far off his peak is and if his legs start breaking down. 

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Too lazy to look up myself, but do any of the 10 have a Heisman, a Super Bowl ring, and an MVP?

Paul Hornung was on the Packers Super Bowl I team.
Staubach has 2 super bowls.
Tony Dorsett has one (SB XII).
Marcus Allen has one (SB XVIII). 
Charles Woodson won with Packers (SB XLV)

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Bo Jackson will be a member at some point.  Plus, he was a baseball All Star. 

Earl ..."steak all week?"  LOL.

Staubach's story about the girl friend was a good one. 

BTW, Angela Hornung....would.

Oh, yeah. She's very GILFy.

I love the unintentional evidence of Texas as clean under DKR. At about 7:40, Earl discusses working a construction job the summer before his Heisman season and hearing about the supposed benefits Dorsett received because of the award. I think it was Marcus Allen, but one of the other guys there acts surprised and doubtful about actually working. Earl proceeds calmly to describe the hard work he did for his summer money.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

I love the unintentional evidence of Texas as clean under DKR. At about 7:40, Earl discusses working a construction job the summer before his Heisman season and hearing about the supposed benefits Dorsett received because of the award. I think it was Marcus Allen, but one of the other guys there acts surprised and doubtful about actually working. Earl proceeds calmly to describe the hard work he did for his summer money.

Hell yeah!