Texas (+4.5) vs Houston- 8pm on ESPN

shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we lost that game on the boards.  

A common refrain. Our poor roster construction has become more evident as the season's gone on. If Houston played that haphazardly on the road against a physically tougher team, they'd have lost. 

Edited by Gut Wagon
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

It’s not roster for the boards differential. It’s basketball IQ and coaching. This has been a constant all season and Texas has the athletes to compete on the glass. Poor fundamentals.

This is a hard-headed take they tell kids in middle school. 

Rebounding is a whole lot more than coaching and basketball IQ.

• Hook 'Em 1

Houston does a good job penetrating, causing our bigs to play help defense which frees their rebounders for good position for offensive boards. Plus they’re well coached to crash and be relentless on the boards. Seems like it’s a culture thing for them.

Edited by sunset87
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

It’s not roster for the boards differential. It’s basketball IQ and coaching. This has been a constant all season and Texas has the athletes to compete on the glass. Poor fundamentals.

It's partly physical.  Disu gets shoved around because he doesn't have a strong base.  Shedrick too, to a lesser extent.  Mitchell was a warrior on the boards but he is giving up height and weight to a lot of guys.   Brock is just too small.  We are physically disadvantaged against a team like Houston or Connecticut.   It limits the ceiling of the team.

5 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

It's partly physical.  Disu gets shoved around because he doesn't have a strong base.  Shedrick too, to a lesser extent.  Mitchell was a warrior on the boards but he is giving up height and weight to a lot of guys.   Brock is just too small.  We are physically disadvantaged against a team like Houston or Connecticut.   It limits the ceiling of the team.

Makes you wonder why Onyema didn’t get used to see if he be better matchup.  If his size is not used in a game like this what’s his role?

Edited by Horn80

Hunter 42 minutes, 5 points and awful counting numbers otherwise. He has to be better if this team is ever going to do anything. 

No meaningful Disu touch on offense at the end. I know he struggled but that’s the best option when it slows down to possession by possession late.  

• Like 1

What is the difference this year with the offense where Disu was in position to do that moon shot that was so effective last year?  He seems out of position for that playing up for the pick and roll and that shot has all but disappeared. 

Since I feel compelled to shit all over Rodney Terry when we lose games I don't think we should, I'd like to say that he's not absent leadership skills. It doesn't make me want him to be our long term coach any more than I do - which is not at all - but I honestly thought this team was done for after losing 3 out of 4 to Tech, WVA, and UCF. That UCF game in particular just felt like a stick a fork in them kind of game.

I hate the way we play. I hate our defense. I hate our lack of continuity or overall vision. But I'll tell you what. Beating Baylor the way we did, taking out OU in Norman, and now going toe to toe against one of the most relentless effort programs in college basketball at least makes me feel like the team buys into Rodney Terry. I appreciate that. Doesn't make me a fan, but I at least admire the effort from the guy and the effort he's bringing out in these players. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Since I feel compelled to shit all over Rodney Terry when we lose games I don't think we should, I'd like to say that he's not absent leadership skills. It doesn't make me want him to be our long term coach any more than I do - which is not at all - but I honestly thought this team was done for after losing 3 out of 4 to Tech, WVA, and UCF. That UCF game in particular just felt like a stick a fork in them kind of game.

I hate the way we play. I hate our defense. I hate our lack of continuity or overall vision. But I'll tell you what. Beating Baylor the way we did, taking out OU in Norman, and now going toe to toe against one of the most relentless effort programs in college basketball at least makes me feel like the team buys into Rodney Terry. I appreciate that. Doesn't make me a fan, but I at least admire the effort from the guy and the effort he's bringing out in these players. 

Fair take. Effort was good tonight. But there were several times coming out of time outs at end of regulation and especially near the end of overtime that it looked like we had absolutely no plan on the offensive possession.  In light of the effort by the players it was just maddening.  I don’t underestimate Haith being one of the issues with this team. 

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

Fair take. Effort was good tonight. But there were several times coming out of time outs at end of regulation and especially near the end of overtime that it looked like we had absolutely no plan on the offensive possession.  In light of the effort by the players it was just maddening.  I don’t underestimate Haith being one of the issues with this team. 

There is no assistant hire that's going to fix this program. And by fix, I mean put it in a place where it's competing for national championships. I don't actually think we'll be competing for Sweet 16s, and that should be the minimum. 

That said, I thought Terry was about to completely lose the team. He didn't. That speaks well of him, even if he's still not good enough to be the long term coach at Texas, IMO.