Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

21 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I know you were being sarcastic but damn you called it!

Given that she was interacting on twitter with Manning before they shacked up here in Austin, and given his personality, and his inability to refrain from interacting with anybody or anything that catches his attention, I can't believe he wouldn't try and read her DMs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Given that she was interacting on twitter with Manning before they shacked up here in Austin, and given his personality, and his inability to refrain from interacting with anybody or anything that catches his attention, I can't believe he wouldn't try and read her DMs.

What would have been truly epic is if they decided to communicate via other means (email perhaps) and Elon paid $44 billion to read essentially worthless DM's.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's been 6 years since I've been out of Austin and I can't tell you how much it breaks my heart to have missed the golden years.

So as I understand it, Eva Braun Holmes Musk, upset about their subjectively low twitter engagement compared to the President of the USA, encouraged everyone to remove any blocks they have, hoping a lot of those blocks that people have on Holmes Musk would be lifted in the meantime. Later he came right out and admitted his previous changes in the algorightm (ya know, the new algorightm that's designed to give more weight to the types of speech Braun Holmes Musk prefers) wasn't actually doing its intended job. Did I miss anything?

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, NoName said:

why buy it? even for $1b when you can just recreate it on your own for way less. that's the meta/FB way

Yup, that's why the built their own image sharing platform instead of buying Instagram. And built their own messaging platform instead of buying WhatsApp. And built their own VR HW platform instead of buying Oculus. Oh wait...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Yup, that's why the built their own image sharing platform instead of buying Instagram. And built their own messaging platform instead of buying WhatsApp. And built their own VR HW platform instead of buying Oculus. Oh wait...

They have copied some stuff, HOWEVER this is with a very heavy caveat - their primary method of getting something is acquisition

https://www.techwyse.com/blog/general-category/facebook-acquisitions-infographic/

They have been able to take some adjacent products and do slight pivots with them - like Instagram morphing into a TikTok clone etc - to copy the competition.

I would argue that FB hasn't actually created anything since debuting. I mean their biggest "new" things are all acquisitions. And give that just about no more acquisitions will likely be allowed, they probably will continue to not innovate for the near future.

Edited by Captain Ron

53 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I would argue that FB hasn't actually created anything since debuting. I mean their biggest "new" things are all acquisitions. And give that just about no more acquisitions will likely be allowed, they probably will continue to not innovate for the near future.

Facebook has certainly aided in the creation of a massive conspiracy theory and the accompanying domestic terrorists to make it all our problem

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Ralph Nader is taking him on.

https://www.thestreet.com/technology/elon-musk-attacked-by-an-old-and-powerful-enem

It is with this notoriety and reputation that Nader has just attacked Elon Musk, whom he called "welfare king," with unprecedented vigor. In this scathing charge, the consumer advocate downplayed Musk's entrepreneurial side. He credits the billionaire' success to the federal support Musk reportedly received.

It is not insignificant that Nader targets Tesla and Starlink. Both helped make Musk popular with the general public. Tesla  (TSLA) - Get Free Report succeeded in convincing authorities and the entire automotive industry to transform itself, by developing electric vehicles at the expense of gasoline-powered cars. Today, when consumers talk about green and clean vehicles, Tesla is the name that comes up. 

Starlink, for its part, helped propel Musk onto the global geopolitical stage and made him an influential leader.

Nader therefore attacks two symbols of the billionaire's power. He thus seeks to weaken it and to deconstruct the image that millions of people around the world have of the serial entrepreneur. Musk seems to have sensed the trap and did not hesitate to respond immediately. His response is just as shattering as his opponent's attack.

"Ralph Nader, you are lying – shame on you!" Musk hit back, dismissing the fact that Tesla owes its success to the financial assistance of the federal government. "I personally provided almost all Tesla funding, based on my proceeds from PayPal, from Series A in 2004 until Series C in 2007."

This one will be a slow burn, and Musk does not realize that Nader probably has a lot to talk about.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, texasdago said:

And I hope that Adams thought his little rant was worth it, because he's being dropped across the country due to this.

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/25/dilbert-gannett-scott-adams-comic-dropped

His quote to the Washington Post on this was:

The Washington Post, the USA Today network of hundreds of newspapers, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Los Angeles Times and other publications announced they would stop publishing “Dilbert” after Adams’s racist rant on YouTube on Wednesday. Asked on Saturday how many newspapers still carried the strip — a workplace satire he created in 1989 — Adams told The Post: “By Monday, around zero.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/02/25/scott-adams-dilbert-canceled/

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

i think i see why he and Elon get along so well.

i mean what exactly did he think was going to happen? is he that stupid or is there some long game? 

Trying to tiptoe around CR here, but perhaps Dilbert revs were waning -- how lucrative could it be anymore, given hold old the strip is and how little money newspapers have? -- and he realized that, by doing that, he now has a rabidly loyal ~-30-35% of the US population that will buy anything he puts out (an independent strip, merch, etc.)

The grift is real and that could be his play.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, mchookem said:

i think i see why he and Elon get along so well.

i mean what exactly did he think was going to happen? is he that stupid or is there some long game? 

Sounds like after decades of drawing a daily cartoon he wanted to retire. But why not claim you're a victim of "cancel culture" on the way out? His Dilbert compilations are about to be bought up by PACs and used as props at conventions. And he can re-brand his characters for future payouts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Sounds like after decades of drawing a daily cartoon he wanted to retire. But why not claim you're a victim of "cancel culture" on the way out? His Dilbert compilations are about to be bought up by PACs and used as props at conventions. And he can re-brand his characters for future payouts.

Guaranteed he will turn it into a grift

8 hours ago, mchookem said:

I mean what exactly did he think was going to happen? is he that stupid or is there some long game? 

When I read the poll question: "Is it ok to be white?" I thought, wow, that is a stupid way to frame a question but (no CR) Rasmussen does stuff like that. I am eagerly awaiting the question, "is it ok to be male?" and what folks make of that one. My favorite, however, will be "is it ok to be sooner?" No way anyone could interpret any of those in a variety of ways now is there? So, either Adams then reading Rasmussen's report on their 1000 respondent answers to the initial stupid question, extrapolating his own twist on it really could be that stupid or.....

1 hour ago, choripan said:

I mean, what @GhostOfTomJoad says has some merit. I even mulled over if Adams has a domicile in Florida and he plans on suing everyone who tabs him as racist via the recent legislation pending in that state.

Back to Elon, though. People reveal their insecurities in strange ways. If you've ever read interviews with his father, that fellow is a piece of work (similar to Woody Allen via fathering children with his stepdaughter), his mother is also a strong personality and Elon is a reflection of some rather chaotic dysfunction. It doesn't excuse his behavior, but it does reveal a lot of his internal strife. He tweets to feel better about himself but it's an odd world isn't it?

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, choripan said:

Trying to tiptoe around CR here, but perhaps Dilbert revs were waning -- how lucrative could it be anymore, given hold old the strip is and how little money newspapers have? -- and he realized that, by doing that, he now has a rabidly loyal ~-30-35% of the US population that will buy anything he puts out (an independent strip, merch, etc.)

45 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I don’t think either of these views are wrong. From the sense of how Adams sees this decision:

• He likely wants to retire.
  • he knows this rant will pretty much make that happen tomorrow (literally in his words)
  • Then he gets to play the “I’m the victim! I’m being cancelled!!” Card. 
  • MAGA bros now have a mascot they can license!
  • I have a rabid fan base that will now buy my stuff!

But his perception and reality are very different things.

I listened to a podcast the other day talking about corporations making decisions, even “social” ones with money in mind. The guy cited Nikes decision to sponsor Kaepernick, understanding that their customer base wasn’t the guys going on YouTube burning their Nike gear.

He also cited Musk, who’s latest decisions have soured his primary customer base, citing who politically is buying Teslas and then citing how Musk’s net favorability scores have moved on each side of the aisle and applying that to his sales numbers would result in a very noticeable drop off in sales.

So how does this apply to Adams? 

Again, I agree the bullet points are how he sees this going. 

And that might happen. 

But the other path, which I see as more likely, is that Adams gets dropped by everyone newspapers, publishers, just about every sales outlet. He figures out self publishing and sells to his new target group. But compare what he current sells (just punch ‘Dilbert’ into Amazon.com) and what that groups buying power is I’m not sure his revenue stream remains the same.

Anyway, well this thread is about Musk. So we should start an Adams thread if anyone cares. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

When I read the poll question: "Is it ok to be white?" I thought, wow, that is a stupid way to frame a question but (no CR) Rasmussen does stuff like that.

I wondered about this, so I google it …

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/its-okay-be-white

The phrase “It’s Okay To Be White” is a slogan popularized in late 2017 as a trolling campaign by members of the controversial discussion forum 4chan … Whether the original trollers were white supremacist or not, actual white supremacists quickly began to promote the campaign—often adding Internet links to white supremacist websites to the fliers or combining the phrase with white supremacist language or imagery.

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

I wondered about this, so I google it …

https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/its-okay-be-white

So while I was waiting on the rest of the family, I did some googling as well. What you found got me curious and so I dug a little into Rasmussen Reports (the pollster). The founder, Scott Rasmussen, left in 2013 and the CEO is Ted Carrol. The managing editor is now Fran Coombs. Fran used to work for The Washington Times, a right-of-center publication. Whooo boy this guy.  Fran Coombs, and his wife, Marion Kester Coombs-a writer for The Occidental Quarterly (an anti-Semitic white nationalist 'journal,' are fairly well known among the farther to the right of right set. He published several of her pieces in WT w/o acknowledging the relationship.

Fran Coombs has had quite a few sexual harassment claims against him, which he has denied but he is OTR as aligned with such pols as David Duke among others. 

I can't elaborate much further w/o getting really Cloaky, but the trifecta of Elon, Fran, and Scott Adams makes sense when you're trying to take a certain message mainstream, regardless of the grifting potential.

So what you're saying makes the stupid poll question make rather more sense.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?