Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

2 hours ago, BearMace said:
2 hours ago, Chopper said:

Techies: Did the error message ("your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint...") mean twitter locked themselves out of their own API?

Probably stopped paying themselves.

Yes and yes - sort of on both.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/03/twitter-suffered-embarrassing-api-failure-apparently-breaking-all-links/

It's not verified yet, but it appears that is the general thought on what happened today, somehow stuff broke because the API is no longer free and the change broke internal tools that relied on it.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Gee Elon, I wonder why.

twit.png.465329d8b03d99f607531e9d78a00f6a.png

Uh Elon, you just had your engineering team make a wholesale change to the system that you weren't ready for. If anything, they didn't do a full code review that in theory found that they make calls into that external API and thus were breaking their own access. The system is working exactly as intended.

I'm a little torn on this (as a developer too). Twitter internal likely should not be using outward public facing API for internal functions. They should have internal API that they make calls to themselves and the public API is nothing more than wrapper functions which are publicly facing.
As the same time, clearly this decision (to allow internal use of their own public API) was made/allowed long ago to use that API when they were planning on twitter being always free, so in theory it should not be an issue.

That all said, for Musk to call the code base brittle - he's really full of shit on this one. It's not brittle. It worked fine. The problem is that he wants things done so fast now with a skeleton crew that they are doing exactly what was mentioned when the sale first went through - just commit code and quality reviews be damned.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

as a reminder, he has owned it for four months now.

THIS.

Plus The API announcement was made over a month ago!!! In that time no one said "hey guys, you know we need to subscribe to that API now, right?"

That means either he's fired so many people no one left knew what was going to happen when they flipped the pay switch OR no one spoke up that realized what was going to happen (either out of fear or they knew and let this happen anyway).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

More details here

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/6/23627875/twitter-outage-how-it-happened-engineer-api-shut-down

The change in question was part of a project to shut down free access to the Twitter API, Platformer can now confirm. On February 1st, the company announced it will no longer support free access to its API, which effectively ended the existence of third-party clients and dramatically limited the ability of outside researchers to study the network. The company has been building a new paid API for developers to work with. 

But in a sign of just how deep Elon Musk’s cuts to the company have been, only one site reliability engineer has been staffed on the project, we’re told. On Monday, the engineer made a “bad configuration change” that “basically broke the Twitter API,” according to a current employee.

Dude runs a publicly used website with billions of daily submissions and he has 1 reliability engineer on the job? LOL.

Oh, but it's the code that is brittle.

• Haha 3

One engineer brought down Twitter today.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/6/23627875/twitter-outage-how-it-happened-engineer-api-shut-down

“Some parts of Twitter may not be working as expected right now,” the company’s support account tweeted. “We made an internal change that had some unintended consequences.”

The change in question was part of a project to shut down free access to the Twitter API, Platformer can now confirm. On February 1st, the company announced it will no longer support free access to its API, which effectively ended the existence of third-party clients and dramatically limited the ability of outside researchers to study the network. The company has been building a new paid API for developers to work with. 

But in a sign of just how deep Elon Musk’s cuts to the company have been, only one site reliability engineer has been staffed on the project, we’re told. On Monday, the engineer made a “bad configuration change” that “basically broke the Twitter API,” according to a current employee.

The change had cascading consequences inside the company, bringing down much of Twitter’s internal tools along with the public-facing APIs. On Slack, engineers responded with variations of “crap” and “Twitter is down – the entire thing” as they scrambled to fix the problem. 

Musk was furious, we’re told.

“A small API change had massive ramifications,” Musk tweeted later in the day, after Twitter investor Marc Andreessen posted a screenshot showing that the company’s API failures were trending on the site. “The code stack is extremely brittle for no good reason. Will ultimately need a complete rewrite.”

Nonstop layoffs have left the company with under 550 full-time engineers

Some current employees are sympathetic to that view, which places at least part of the blame for Twitter’s problems on technical failures that predate Musk’s ownership of the company. The fail whale became an icon of the old Twitter for a reason.

In many ways, Monday’s outage represented the culmination of Musk’s leadership at the company so far. In a single-minded effort to cut costs on his $44 billion purchase, he has been slashing the staff and reducing Twitter’s free offerings.

This paved the way for a single engineer to be staffed on a major project — one that is linked to several critical interconnected systems that both users and employees depend on. 

And with few knowledgeable workers on hand to restore service, it took Twitter all morning to fix the problem. “This is what happens when you fire 90 percent of the company,” another current employee says. 

Inside Twitter’s HQ, however, the mood was almost light. “We’re laughing all the way down,” says a different current employee.

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Elon’s lawyers: 🤦‍♂️

5066B57F-EADF-4E40-B161-FF373E83EA00.jpeg

Not quite.

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

#itsatrap

This. Elon is about as trust worthy as a fix guarding a hen house. I’m not even sure I would trust having it in writing. The guy is a lying piece of shit.

The fact is, he thinks he can do anything because he has so much money. That’s going to bite him in the ass eventually. 

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

He’s not a visionary or a fraud.

He’s just a piece of shit.

If X.com had not worked out/merged with PayPal or whatever, we wouldn't know who he is.  He bought X.com back from PayPal to create his "everything app"

From the interview below:

On October 4, 2022 Elon Musk described his acquisition of Twitter as "an accelerant to creating X, the everything app". This has been linked to x.com. In conversation with Ron Baron a month later, Musk said he will execute the X product plan "with some improvements" which will make Twitter "the most valuable financial institution in the world."

2 hours ago, NoName said:

image.png.5a3b934e7999240c87b0fcd0620770a6.png

Humor Boomer GIF

the guy has been in a wheel chair since he was 25. he is currently in his mid 40s.

image.png.9feed56100061296103cda6bc02bbc8a.png

here is the guy's response, which is a long thread

text here:

Reveal hidden contents
Hi again @elonmusk 👋

I hope you are well.

I’m fine too. I’m thankful for your interest in my health.

But since you mentioned it, I wanted to give you more info.

I have muscular dystrophy. It has many effects on my body.

Let me tell you what they are:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633011448459964417
My legs were the first to go. When I was 25 years old I started using a wheelchair.

It’s been 20 years since that happened.

In that time the rest of my body has been failing me too. I need help to get in and out of bed and use the toilet
For a long time I thought my arms would remain strong. A doctor told me they would.

But they ended up losing strength. Which, I don’t mind telling you, was hard to accept.

But you okay the cards you are dealt and I’ve managed to create a wonderful life.
My family is the best. I have two kids. I see them every day. I recommend that.

My wife is fantastic. Strong, kind, smart, amazing artist. Couldn't be happier with her.
About nine years ago I started a company called @uenodotco

I worked a lot, it didn't do my body any favors but it's what I felt I needed to do.

The hard work paid off and the company became very successful.
We worked for more or less every big tech company.

We grew fast and made money. I think that's what you are referring to when you say independently wealthy?

That I independently made my money, as opposed to say, inherited an emerald mine.
But after seven years I was tired. Covid was running for longer than the two weeks you said it would.

And my body was also continuing to get weaker.

After looking at many options I decided to sell my company to Twitter.
Financially it wasn't the best decision. My company was making a lot of money and Twitter's offer was lower than any smart valuation would say.

But like you I made a bet on Twitter having a lot more potential than it has had.
I joined at a time when the company was growing fast. You kind of did the opposite.

There was a lot going on. The company had a fair amount of issues, but then again, most bigger companies do.

Or even small companies, like Twitter today.
Anyway, I digress, are you still reading? Or is the bathroom break over?

What was I saying? Ah yes, and then you bought the company and told employees you weren't firing 75% of them. Which you then did.
I wasn't in the first batch. Or the second or third or fourth. I'm not sure which layoff round I was in there were so many of them.

Each one came after you promised the last one was the final one.
During my time at the new Twitter, or 2.0 as you called it, I talked to my manager every week and asked what I should focus on.

And then I proceeded to do those things. Every one of them.
I also contacted HR regularly and asked if my job description was correct or needed updating. I wanted to make sure I was doing what I was supposed to.

They always said they were looking into it but I never got a reply.
And now finally to my fingers, which I know you have great concern for. Thank you for that btw.

I'll tell you what I told them. I'm not able to do manual work (which in this case means typing or using a mouse) for extended periods of time without my hands starting to cramp.
I can however write for an hour or two at a time.

This wasn't a problem in Twitter 1.0 since I was a senior director and my job was mostly to help teams move forward, give them strategic and tactical guidance.
But as I told HR (I'm assuming that's the confidential health information you are sharing) I can't work as a hands on designer for the reasons outlined above.

I'm typing this on my phone btw. It's easier for because I only need to use one finger.
I hope that helps! Let me know if you are going to pay what you owe me?

I think you can afford it?

he literally was voted the https://www.icelandreview.com/news/haraldur-thorleifsson-sweeps-person-of-the-year-awards/Person of the Year in Iceland in 2022 across the 4 different publications that do it. he has muscular dystrophy. been in a wheelchair since he was 25.

image.thumb.png.7a2b64dd34cb3df819ab1382b1aba641.png

just when you think someone can't be more of an asshole...turns out they can. also shitting on employees is a bad look. then again everything the guy has done with twitter over the last 4 months is a bad look.

That dude's name is Haraldur. The name conjures an image of a bunch of pissed off Vikings loading up boats at Kattegat so they can go fuck up Elon and the "your meme game is strong" dorks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

image.png.5a3b934e7999240c87b0fcd0620770a6.png

Humor Boomer GIF

the guy has been in a wheel chair since he was 25. he is currently in his mid 40s.

image.png.9feed56100061296103cda6bc02bbc8a.png

here is the guy's response, which is a long thread

text here:

Reveal hidden contents
Hi again @elonmusk 👋

I hope you are well.

I’m fine too. I’m thankful for your interest in my health.

But since you mentioned it, I wanted to give you more info.

I have muscular dystrophy. It has many effects on my body.

Let me tell you what they are:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1633011448459964417
My legs were the first to go. When I was 25 years old I started using a wheelchair.

It’s been 20 years since that happened.

In that time the rest of my body has been failing me too. I need help to get in and out of bed and use the toilet
For a long time I thought my arms would remain strong. A doctor told me they would.

But they ended up losing strength. Which, I don’t mind telling you, was hard to accept.

But you okay the cards you are dealt and I’ve managed to create a wonderful life.
My family is the best. I have two kids. I see them every day. I recommend that.

My wife is fantastic. Strong, kind, smart, amazing artist. Couldn't be happier with her.
About nine years ago I started a company called @uenodotco

I worked a lot, it didn't do my body any favors but it's what I felt I needed to do.

The hard work paid off and the company became very successful.
We worked for more or less every big tech company.

We grew fast and made money. I think that's what you are referring to when you say independently wealthy?

That I independently made my money, as opposed to say, inherited an emerald mine.
But after seven years I was tired. Covid was running for longer than the two weeks you said it would.

And my body was also continuing to get weaker.

After looking at many options I decided to sell my company to Twitter.
Financially it wasn't the best decision. My company was making a lot of money and Twitter's offer was lower than any smart valuation would say.

But like you I made a bet on Twitter having a lot more potential than it has had.
I joined at a time when the company was growing fast. You kind of did the opposite.

There was a lot going on. The company had a fair amount of issues, but then again, most bigger companies do.

Or even small companies, like Twitter today.
Anyway, I digress, are you still reading? Or is the bathroom break over?

What was I saying? Ah yes, and then you bought the company and told employees you weren't firing 75% of them. Which you then did.
I wasn't in the first batch. Or the second or third or fourth. I'm not sure which layoff round I was in there were so many of them.

Each one came after you promised the last one was the final one.
During my time at the new Twitter, or 2.0 as you called it, I talked to my manager every week and asked what I should focus on.

And then I proceeded to do those things. Every one of them.
I also contacted HR regularly and asked if my job description was correct or needed updating. I wanted to make sure I was doing what I was supposed to.

They always said they were looking into it but I never got a reply.
And now finally to my fingers, which I know you have great concern for. Thank you for that btw.

I'll tell you what I told them. I'm not able to do manual work (which in this case means typing or using a mouse) for extended periods of time without my hands starting to cramp.
I can however write for an hour or two at a time.

This wasn't a problem in Twitter 1.0 since I was a senior director and my job was mostly to help teams move forward, give them strategic and tactical guidance.
But as I told HR (I'm assuming that's the confidential health information you are sharing) I can't work as a hands on designer for the reasons outlined above.

I'm typing this on my phone btw. It's easier for because I only need to use one finger.
I hope that helps! Let me know if you are going to pay what you owe me?

I think you can afford it?

he literally was voted the https://www.icelandreview.com/news/haraldur-thorleifsson-sweeps-person-of-the-year-awards/Person of the Year in Iceland in 2022 across the 4 different publications that do it. he has muscular dystrophy. been in a wheelchair since he was 25.

image.thumb.png.7a2b64dd34cb3df819ab1382b1aba641.png

just when you think someone can't be more of an asshole...turns out they can. also shitting on employees is a bad look. then again everything the guy has done with twitter over the last 4 months is a bad look.

All of this looks like an ADA lawsuit. You can’t have much stronger “I was fired bc my disability” proof than direct comments from the CEO that ridicule his accommodations and claim he “never worked” because of his MS

5 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Yeah - this guy is right 

• Hook 'Em 5

Musk, who now requires bodyguards flanking him anytime he’s at Twitter HQ ... He also tweeted a bunch of memes. Now, what do you call this sort of person? What do you call people so utterly lacking in charm and grace; people in such constant need of validation despite meriting none of it; people so DYING to be popular and enraged that they aren’t?

I’ll tell you what you call them: Dorks. Fucking dorks.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

If I was any good at Photoshop or After Effects, I’d put Elon in as Walter claiming that the elder Lebowski isn’t even disabled, then throwing him to the ground. 

- I've seen a lot of spinals, Dude. And this guy's a fake. A fucking goldbricker. 

- Stay away from me Elon!!

- This guy types. I've never been more sure of anything in my life!

- [THUD!]

• Haha 5

Interesting.

March 7, 2023Updated 7:46 p.m. ET

The Federal Trade Commission is intensifying an investigation into Twitter’s data and privacy practices and is seeking testimony from Elon Musk, who has laid off the bulk of Twitter’s work force since acquiring the company last year.

The investigation is focused on whether Twitter has adequate resources to protect its users’ privacy after the mass layoffs and budget cuts ordered by Mr. Musk, said five people familiar with the investigation who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Spoiler

The agency, which currently has oversight over Twitter, investigated a former executive’s claims of security problems last summer and ramped up its inquiry following the abrupt resignations of three top executives responsible for privacy, security and compliance. They left Twitter in November shortly after Mr. Musk acquired the company.

The agency has requested a conversation with Mr. Musk, two of the people said. It has also sought to interview former Twitter employees who worked on privacy and security at the company.

The inquiry has been criticized by a subcommittee of the Republican-led House Judiciary Committee, which said on Tuesday that the F.T.C. was engaged in an “aggressive campaign to harass Twitter” and had issued more than 350 requests for information since Mr. Musk took over the company in October.

Mr. Musk’s takeover of Twitter has drawn scrutiny from several enforcement agencies. While the F.T.C. has dug into whether Twitter has the resources to abide by its privacy promises to consumers, the European Union has pressured Twitter to release more data about how it fights disinformation. The Securities and Exchange Commission also probed whether Mr. Musk’s purchases of Twitter stock had been properly disclosed.

“Protecting consumers’ privacy is exactly what the F.T.C. is supposed to do,” Douglas Farrar, an agency spokesman, said in a statement. “It should come as no surprise that career staff at the commission are conducting a rigorous investigation into Twitter’s compliance with a consent order that came into effect long before Mr. Musk purchased the company.” The S.E.C. declined to comment.

The F.T.C. has pressed Twitter to explain its management structure and to define Mr. Musk’s precise role at the company. It has also questioned whether Twitter has the necessary staff and financial resources to keep up with its privacy obligations, as Mr. Musk continues to cut costs and lay off workers.

The agency has also asked for details about recent sales of Twitter’s office equipment, including whether computers had been wiped of user data, and about Twitter’s plan to sell verification check marks, House Republicans said in a report that was released on Tuesday.

Under a consent decree it reached with the agency in 2011 and expanded in 2022, Twitter is required to conduct regular security audits and keep the F.T.C. informed about how it handles sensitive data.

The arrangement began in March 2011, when the company settled charges that it had failed to safeguard users’ personal information after two data breaches in 2009. Last year, the F.T.C. fined Twitter $150 million for misleading users about the fact that personal data collected for security purposes was actually being used for advertising, and it expanded its oversight of the company.

The compliance process is laborious, two former Twitter employees said, and once relied on supervision from hundreds of people in Twitter’s privacy, engineering, legal and security teams to run smoothly.

Twitter also used software made by a company called Collibra to keep track of its progress on compliance, but it stopped payments to Collibra as Mr. Musk sought to cut costs at Twitter, two people familiar with the arrangement said. Collibra did not respond to requests for comment.

The F.T.C. has questioned whether Twitter still has the staff or the budget to keep up with its compliance obligations. The agency has also sought to understand whether Mr. Musk has the final say on privacy issues, and which other executives might be involved in those decisions.

“These demands have no basis in the F.T.C.’s statutory mission and appear to be the result of partisan pressure to target Twitter and silence Musk,” the House Judiciary subcommittee said in its report, which called the F.T.C.’s investigation into Mr. Musk “unusual.”

The subcommittee also criticized the F.T.C. for asking Twitter about access to internal company files that it had provided to a group of journalists. An F.T.C. spokesman said the agency routinely sought information that companies under consent orders, like Twitter, provided to third parties.

In November, three senior executives responsible for overseeing security, privacy and compliance resigned from Twitter, a day before a deadline for Twitter to submit a compliance report to the F.T.C. The F.T.C., led by Reenah Kim, a longtime staff attorney who was involved in the agency’s earlier investigation of privacy issues at Facebook, has spoken with at least two of those executives, Damien Kieran and Lea Kissner, three people familiar with the matter said.

Mr. Musk’s mass layoffs have roiled the company’s legal department, which has drawn in support and lawyers from Mr. Musk’s other companies including the electronic car manufacturer Tesla and the rocket maker SpaceX. That has led to confusing directives and caused previously junior employees to take up new responsibilities for which they are not qualified, three current and former employees said.

Over the past several months, Twitter has asked the agency for more time to answer its questions about staffing and resources, saying its corporate structure and the appointment of top leaders are still in flux. The F.T.C. has the power to fine Twitter again, or to punish executives with criminal penalties if they mislead investigators about the state of the company’s privacy practices.

In addition to its investigation of Mr. Musk’s takeover, the agency is also scrutinizing claims raised by a former security executive, Peiter Zatko, who said in a whistle-blower complaint that Twitter, under its previous management, made false and misleading statements about its security practices.

Lina Khan, the chairwoman of the F.T.C., said during a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing in November that she was “extremely disturbed” by Mr. Zatko’s claims, particularly his assertion that Twitter had misled the F.T.C. about its compliance practices.

“There has absolutely been a problem with companies treating F.T.C. orders as suggestions,” Ms. Khan said. “We have a program underway to really toughen that up.”

Mr. Musk’s Twitter also faces potential challenges abroad. In November, Thierry Breton, the European Union internal market commissioner, said in a statement that the company had “huge work ahead” to become compliant with the bloc’s Digital Services Act, a wide-ranging set of laws set to come into effect in 2024 that addresses disinformation, targeted advertising and content moderation on social media platforms.

Last month, a Twitter security manager also became aware that the company could have been violating the European Union’s Global Data Protection Regulation by saving some user data for two years, despite the law requiring deletion after 13 months. If it wasn’t fixed, the European Union could fine the company up to 4 percent of Twitter’s global revenue, which amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars, the manager warned in internal messages seen by The New York Times.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Only took 16 hours.  Probably would have been quicker had Elon did all of his usual stupid shit during non-Dracula hours.

I can see the fanbois being terribly confused; cheering him on late last night, and now, seeing (attorney-induced) contrition from their hero.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Interesting.
[/url] By Kate CongerRyan Mac and David McCabe
March 7, 2023Updated 7:46 p.m. ET The Federal Trade Commission is intensifying an investigation into Twitter’s data and privacy practices and is seeking testimony from Elon Musk, who has laid off the bulk of Twitter’s work force since acquiring the company last year.
The investigation is focused on whether Twitter has adequate resources to protect its users’ privacy after the mass layoffs and budget cuts ordered by Mr. Musk, said five people familiar with the investigation who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Spoiler

The inquiry has been criticized by a subcommittee of the Republican-led House Judiciary Committee, which said on Tuesday that the F.T.C. was engaged in an “aggressive campaign to harass Twitter” and had issued more than 350 requests for information since Mr. Musk took over the company in October.
Mr. Musk’s takeover of Twitter has drawn scrutiny from several enforcement agencies. While the F.T.C. has dug into whether Twitter has the resources to abide by its privacy promises to consumers, the European Union has pressured Twitter to release more data about how it fights disinformation. The Securities and Exchange Commission also probed whether Mr. Musk’s purchases of Twitter stock had been properly disclosed.
“Protecting consumers’ privacy is exactly what the F.T.C. is supposed to do,” Douglas Farrar, an agency spokesman, said in a statement. “It should come as no surprise that career staff at the commission are conducting a rigorous investigation into Twitter’s compliance with a consent order that came into effect long before Mr. Musk purchased the company.” The S.E.C. declined to comment.
The F.T.C. has pressed Twitter to explain its management structure and to define Mr. Musk’s precise role at the company. It has also questioned whether Twitter has the necessary staff and financial resources to keep up with its privacy obligations, as Mr. Musk continues to cut costs and lay off workers.
The agency has also asked for details about recent sales of Twitter’s office equipment, including whether computers had been wiped of user data, and about Twitter’s plan to sell verification check marks, House Republicans said in a report that was released on Tuesday.
Under a consent decree it reached with the agency in 2011 and expanded in 2022, Twitter is required to conduct regular security audits and keep the F.T.C. informed about how it handles sensitive data.
The arrangement began in March 2011, when the company settled charges that it had failed to safeguard users’ personal information after two data breaches in 2009. Last year, the F.T.C. fined Twitter $150 million for misleading users about the fact that personal data collected for security purposes was actually being used for advertising, and it expanded its oversight of the company.
The compliance process is laborious, two former Twitter employees said, and once relied on supervision from hundreds of people in Twitter’s privacy, engineering, legal and security teams to run smoothly.
Twitter also used software made by a company called Collibra to keep track of its progress on compliance, but it stopped payments to Collibra as Mr. Musk sought to cut costs at Twitter, two people familiar with the arrangement said. Collibra did not respond to requests for comment.
The F.T.C. has questioned whether Twitter still has the staff or the budget to keep up with its compliance obligations. The agency has also sought to understand whether Mr. Musk has the final say on privacy issues, and which other executives might be involved in those decisions.
“These demands have no basis in the F.T.C.’s statutory mission and appear to be the result of partisan pressure to target Twitter and silence Musk,” the House Judiciary subcommittee said in its report, which called the F.T.C.’s investigation into Mr. Musk “unusual.”
The subcommittee also criticized the F.T.C. for asking Twitter about access to internal company files that it had provided to a group of journalists. An F.T.C. spokesman said the agency routinely sought information that companies under consent orders, like Twitter, provided to third parties.
In November, three senior executives responsible for overseeing security, privacy and compliance resigned from Twitter, a day before a deadline for Twitter to submit a compliance report to the F.T.C. The F.T.C., led by Reenah Kim, a longtime staff attorney who was involved in the agency’s earlier investigation of privacy issues at Facebook, has spoken with at least two of those executives, Damien Kieran and Lea Kissner, three people familiar with the matter said.
Mr. Musk’s mass layoffs have roiled the company’s legal department, which has drawn in support and lawyers from Mr. Musk’s other companies including the electronic car manufacturer Tesla and the rocket maker SpaceX. That has led to confusing directives and caused previously junior employees to take up new responsibilities for which they are not qualified, three current and former employees said.
Over the past several months, Twitter has asked the agency for more time to answer its questions about staffing and resources, saying its corporate structure and the appointment of top leaders are still in flux. The F.T.C. has the power to fine Twitter again, or to punish executives with criminal penalties if they mislead investigators about the state of the company’s privacy practices.
In addition to its investigation of Mr. Musk’s takeover, the agency is also scrutinizing claims raised by a former security executive, Peiter Zatko, who said in a whistle-blower complaint that Twitter, under its previous management, made false and misleading statements about its security practices.
Lina Khan, the chairwoman of the F.T.C., said during a Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing in November that she was “extremely disturbed” by Mr. Zatko’s claims, particularly his assertion that Twitter had misled the F.T.C. about its compliance practices.
“There has absolutely been a problem with companies treating F.T.C. orders as suggestions,” Ms. Khan said. “We have a program underway to really toughen that up.”
Mr. Musk’s Twitter also faces potential challenges abroad. In November, Thierry Breton, the European Union internal market commissioner, said in a statement that the company had “huge work ahead” to become compliant with the bloc’s Digital Services Act, a wide-ranging set of laws set to come into effect in 2024 that addresses disinformation, targeted advertising and content moderation on social media platforms.
Last month, a Twitter security manager also became aware that the company could have been violating the European Union’s Global Data Protection Regulation by saving some user data for two years, despite the law requiring deletion after 13 months. If it wasn’t fixed, the European Union could fine the company up to 4 percent of Twitter’s global revenue, which amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars, the manager warned in internal messages seen by The New York Times.

Elon: I’m gonna go batshit, say “fuck your consent decree, fuck data privacy, and fuck you!”

FTC: looking into it.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Only took 16 hours.  Probably would have been quicker had Elon did all of his usual stupid shit during non-Dracula hours.

I can see the fanbois being terribly confused; cheering him on late last night, and now, seeing (attorney-induced) contrition from their hero.

March 2023 = Elmo spent the better part of the last 5-6 months (I'm counting a few months prior to full ownership) being owned/embarrassed on his own platform over actions of his own choosing.  Russia spent the better part of last year being owned/embarrassed in a war of their choosing.   These are like watching aggy football seasons play out on larger stages.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I’m not the one who just got buttfucked on his own website, Elon.

To be fair, he gets buttfucked on there multiple times a day, on average. Sometimes entirely self-inflicted.

But…his meme game is strong. I heard a guy who was totally not a battered, bedraggled suck up say so once.

Incels and Elon fanbois…this is your fucking hero, your alpha. The only thing more pathetic than your existence is that you voluntarily choose to worship this guy. Every single thing about you is pathetic, to the molecular level.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

This is the kind of stuff that should be concerning Elmo more than picking fights with employees.  Jalopnik got their hands on a Lightning

2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Pickup: The Jalopnik Review

Even with its mega price tag and its handful of flaws, the Lightning remains a massive achievement for Ford. It feels like a real truck, ready to do all the real truck things owners buy trucks for. As a first effort, it’s a staggering achievement. Now, Ford needs to work on driving the price down. Even the “work truck spec” Pro version starts at $59,014, and that’s still likely too much for most people to want to make the switch. Even at that price, it’s cheaper than a Rivian R1T, which starts at around $73,000 and is aimed at a much more overland-y buyer.

Should you buy a Ford F-150 Lightning? If you’ve got the cash, you’re prepared to deal with the current crappy state of America’s charging infrastructure, and you don’t need to tow crazy loads, then yeah, absolutely. It’s a killer drive, offers unique and useful features, and, thanks to Ford’s “Power Up” over-the-air updates, is likely only going to get better with time. It lives up to the F-150 name and adds new value to it too, which is a massive achievement.

7ae2b426ef03e61ebf58589b25d0d985.jpg

bd48b0e7b0847f660de303de9f50ad34.jpg

5026e7f274bdd35fd8d30f742123f01b.jpg

d69545b1c7016c07009927cd78ede76d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This is the kind of stuff that should be concerning Elmo more than picking fights with employees.  Jalopnik got their hands on a Lightning
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Electric Pickup: The Jalopnik Review
Even with its mega price tag and its handful of flaws, the Lightning remains a massive achievement for Ford. It feels like a real truck, ready to do all the real truck things owners buy trucks for. As a first effort, it’s a staggering achievement. Now, Ford needs to work on driving the price down. Even the “work truck spec” Pro version starts at $59,014, and that’s still likely too much for most people to want to make the switch. Even at that price, it’s cheaper than a Rivian R1T, which starts at around $73,000 and is aimed at a much more overland-y buyer.
Should you buy a Ford F-150 Lightning? If you’ve got the cash, you’re prepared to deal with the current crappy state of America’s charging infrastructure, and you don’t need to tow crazy loads, then yeah, absolutely. It’s a killer drive, offers unique and useful features, and, thanks to Ford’s “Power Up” over-the-air updates, is likely only going to get better with time. It lives up to the F-150 name and adds new value to it too, which is a massive achievement.
7ae2b426ef03e61ebf58589b25d0d985.jpg
bd48b0e7b0847f660de303de9f50ad34.jpg
5026e7f274bdd35fd8d30f742123f01b.jpg
d69545b1c7016c07009927cd78ede76d.jpg

Yes, but is it CYBER? Is it EXTREMELY HARDCORE? Yeah, I thought not. GAME, SET, MATCH TO ELON!
  • Haha 4

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?