Wildfire 2024 Thread

atomheartbevo

6 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Last time I was in Borger doing a turnaround and we stayed in Pampa they had a crazy ass wildfire

Half of Surly is wondering what a turnaround is….  How long ago was this?  Both towns have a Hampton Inn and HIExpress. Pampa has a newer La Quinta.  Borger has a Bennigans. 😀

24 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Watch the first thirty seconds of the first video, then fast forward to the 17:34:00 and see how fast it has progressed in 5 minutes. Then, at the 17:34:30 mark is when the wind shifts and you can see just how fast this shit moves

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/Y2Hu9AGfgtKeb2U8/?mibextid=Ly78Ri

Holy crap

^^ That’s fucking wild. How can something like that ever be contained?

Lots of luck and some timely weather is your only chance. There is no way to get far enough ahead of that. Embers are traveling .25-0.5 miles and lighting off ahead of the flames, then you end up with crews caught between two fire lines which is how you get people killed. Structural protection of certain areas may be possible, depends on the surrounding area and terrain.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, slorch said:

Half of Surly is wondering what a turnaround is….  How long ago was this?  Both towns have a Hampton Inn and HIExpress. Pampa has a newer La Quinta.  Borger has a Bennigans. 😀

The Hampton and HIE express had no vacancies so we had to do Pampa.  We ate at that Bennigans 4 out of the 5 nights we were there.  The McDonald's was the first place I saw that had a self service kiosk.  It had to have been at least 7 years ago.  

It was the most expensive Hampton I have ever stayed in.  It was 300 bucks a night.  

Edited by FartingMonk
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

That combines ‘nice thing to do’ with very savvy business acumen.   I would bet if you lost your home, you’re gonna need more than 30 days of storage.  So U-Haul will wind up in the in the black overall and steer those needing storage to their facility.

That is how you natural disaster as a business boys and girls.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, slorch said:

I just assumed it had something to with a combination of sex, drugs, and alcohol 

41 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The Hampton and HIE express had no vacancies so we had to do Pampa.  We ate at that Bennigans 4 out of the 5 nights we were there.  The McDonald's was the first place I saw that had a self service kiosk.  It had to have been at least 7 years ago.  

It was the most expensive Hampton I have ever stayed in.  It was 300 bucks a night.  

Humblebrag?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Stinkpalm said:

I just assumed it had something to with a combination of sex, drugs, and alcohol 

Humblebrag?

I mean we did drink.  I was inspecting rich old dudes pipes in the middle of the night at the swankiest hotel in Pampa so maybe?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Feds are bringing in more air assets.  I’m assuming they already have US Forest Service personnel there, but if not, they will.  

Well firefighting efforts had been led by The Texas A&M Forest Service, so everyone knew they would aggy it up.   Now Big Brother will step in and clean up their mess.

But they will be there once others fix their problem to try and take credit and build a monument.  

18 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

That combines ‘nice thing to do’ with very savvy business acumen.   I would bet if you lost your home, you’re gonna need more than 30 days of storage.  So U-Haul will wind up in the in the black overall and steer those needing storage to their facility.

That is how you natural disaster as a business boys and girls.

Maybe someone will store their cattle in one.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, MontereyMX said:

god damn that lake is low

It's gonna have planes at the bottom of it when they hit the sand bars.

21 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I mean we did drink.  I was inspecting rich old dudes pipes in the middle of the night at the swankiest hotel in Pampa so maybe?

16 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

IMG_2408.gif.91b4aaa814c3db3af11348b0470b80d4.gif

I did a few turnarounds back in the 80's. I worked the 7pm-7am graveyard shift for 2 weeks inspecting the companies old and new pipes at the processing plant, and then I stayed at the swankiest hotel in Enid, Oklahoma. Coldest I've ever been in my life, standing outside in below zero weather with the wind blowing hard enough to blow the welders bead out of the pipes they were trying to weld. The only thing between Enid and Canada was a few fences.

Don't talk to me about hard working conditions.

As far as "...inspecting rich old dudes pipes in the middle of the night ...", I got nothing.

20 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Windy Deuce?!? And here I was thinking there couldn’t be a more apt name for a wildfire than Smokehouse Creek. 

The Wind was angry that day, my friends.  Like an Old Brisket sending back a Deuce to a plumber.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PTINS said:

As far as "...inspecting rich old dudes pipes in the middle of the night ...", I got nothing.

3 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

^^^ and they were missing a couple of strands of wire.

Male pattern baldness is nothing to laugh at

20 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Any chance you fucks could not cloak this up? The dipshits in Austin staying in Austin is the best thing that could happen.

I just haven't heard him taking an active role. Am I wrong?

32 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Any chance you fucks could not cloak this up? The dipshits in Austin staying in Austin is the best thing that could happen.

Yep, they fucked up Bastrop response. Something about photo ops, not having the airplanes ready, etc. , and then the Feds came and put out the damn fire.

Older sister's husband is a firefighter with the Forest Service. They live in Borger. No damage to their home, but a barn on his mom's property in Fritch went up in smoke, and her neighbor's placed burned up completely.

He got recalled from a fire in Oklahoma last week to help combat this. It's obviously very personal for him and, I imagine, for all those trying to extinguish the blazes.

Strength and stamina to any of those in danger. Wish it were possible to send all the recent rain and snow we've gotten here in Idaho down your way.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Well, that's not cloaky at all.  Any chance you could read what you fucking write?

• Hook 'Em 3