2024 Spring Practice to Fall Camp Thread - Who’s a JAG now?

sith_horn

On 4/3/2024 at 5:41 PM, Askew said:

It's a little embarrassing i even sleuthed this, but "I am checking on the now part" is actually just the dude asking Nahlin. 

image.thumb.png.ec84445dfd6bf12486c3425071651e80.png

image.thumb.png.d601669baf363165894a761c0c0f08fb.png

image.thumb.png.b8b0675efe2123a0683667c70eefbe37.png

On 4/3/2024 at 5:49 PM, immamac said:

YOU DONT KNOW WHO I AM BITCH. 

On 4/3/2024 at 6:12 PM, closetojumping said:

Holy shit. 

I am 98% sure that I am the “source” this dudes talking about lol I am sure I have a DM from this guy on IT but I ain’t lookin

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2024 at 10:31 PM, GTJ1982 said:

The hat is cleanWould definitely cop if the price was reasonable.  The shirt is a no go but kids are into 80/90's vintage nowadays. 

On 4/4/2024 at 10:34 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

image.jpeg.e90a2251d4a4dc5a4732454980aa9873.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I am 98% sure that I am the “source” this dudes talking about lol I am sure I have a DM from this guy on IT but I ain’t lookin

You should tell the guy that he is right. Let him go for a few days and then PM again with the message jk.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

Practice updates from scrimmage this morning?

I think the scrimmage is taking place in the afternoon today based on some comments in OTF video. This might well be because of a lot of recruits are on campus today.

This video was posted about 50 minutes ago. Opening comment states team headed over to practice field. Closing comment at 17:20 says they'll address practice later today.

Team Notes from Scrimmage No. 1 - OTF

Spoiler

Texas was on the field this morning for the first scrimmage of the spring season. Some notes that were passed on to On Texas Football following the live action.

– RG DJ Campbell did not finish the scrimmage in pads and was treated with an ice wrap on his shoulder. 

When Campbell was out of the lineup, Neto Umeozulu was the filler at right guard with Hayden Conner occupying the left guard position.

– I am told the offense had a very strong day in the red zone today with multiple conversions consecutively in a designed goal-to-go period of practice. Ewers had a pair of touchdowns in the session, and the OL was able to create push for scores as well.

– OTF also learned Texas OL Payton Kirkland was seen getting individual work with the training staff on the back field during the first half of practice. Kirkland has been recovering from a knee injury suffered last year.

– From a recruiting perspective, OTF has learned five-star ATH Jonah Williams took a trip midway through the scrimmage to Disch-Falk Field. First pitch for Texas Baseball in the rubber match with BYU this afternoon is at 2:30 p.m., so Williams was able to catch some pregame warmups and views of the Disch.

• Hook 'Em 4

More from Hamilton.

UPDATE:

A few more notes have been shared with On Texas Football regarding the scrimmage this afternoon:

– QB Arch Manning connected with portal TE Amari Niblack for a 30-yard touchdown.

Both Manning and Ewers had solid showings today. Neither threw an interception during the afternoon. There was a span in which touchdowns were scored on four consecutive drives between the two quarterbacks.

– RB Jaydon Blue found the end zone on a physical run that left David Gbenda and Derek Williams Jr. on their backs. I was told Blue is running much more physically this spring and remains a massive threat in space with the ball.

– The lone turnover on the day was a fumble from CJ Baxter.

– There was great praise for EDGE Trey Moore in his first scrimmage as a Longhorn. While the splash plays weren't necessarily the headliner here, I was told it is only a matter of time before you hear more about Moore this spring. Cam Williams and Moore have had some entertaining battles during the spring and today added to their ongoing war.

Adding to the EDGE spot, I was told Barryn Sorrell was nearly unguardable. There were very high remarks for Sorrell specifically in the running game – goes without saying, but a massive development for Texas.

– Freshman WR Ryan Wingo earned some reps with the first and second units today.

– All in all, it was a much better day for the offense than the defense per a source. Quinn Ewers looked poised and confident throwing the ball and both offensive line units were able to manufacture success in the run and pass game.

– "David Gbenda just flies around everywhere." 

• Hook 'Em 7

IT notes.

At one point, during a ‘best on best’ for 15-20 minutes, “the offense ran down the defense’s throat.”

There was tons of mixing and matching both on offense and defense which led to, “(Trevor) Goosby is a monster.”

Another factor the offense had going in its favor was the usage of “headset comms”. That “gave offense complete advantage over the defense.”

“Jaydon Blue has another gear, just needs a crease.” Creases should be in abundance this year.

“Sark knows what he has on offense. The defense needs the help. Poor run fits.” Aside Thursday’s practice “run fits” have been an issue.

EDIT: Sat. 2:59 p.m A. D.

Here’s a different firsthand point of view:

There were some moments late where the offense ran it well but in general I thought the run defense held up well. Broughton was active. 

I thought the defense handled the offense and it wasn’t all that close until they switched to red zone/situational stuff at the end when the offense responded with 3 straight touchdowns.” 

Two of those were really the result of deep throws (arch to Niblack for a td) (Quinn to Helm for a big gain) and then one where they ran the ball well. Other than that, defense won the day. Was one other touchdown during the full session but that was the result of Sark letting Quinn stay out on a 4th down and a questionable decision of them converting. Lots of sacks and passing game certainly wasn’t there.

Saw 1 that definitely would have been one (a sack for Colin Simmons). Don’t recall a 2nd but there were a lot of plays where there were 2 guys there and they blew it dead.

Gbenda led the scrimmage off with a sack.

DJ Campbell went out with a shoulder injury fairly early but didn’t look serious. 

CJ Baxter had the only fumble of the day. 

Jaydon Blue looked good but had a drop on a wheel route. 

Wisner impressed me the most today. Had a couple of great runs and a great run and catch. Then proceeded to have a bad drop though.

I definitely didn’t walk away thinking the offense won. I’d give defense the day for sure, even with the tough ending. That was more about stamina and getting back in football shape which sark emphasized.

• Hook 'Em 6

It's not good hearing Baxter losing a fumble. I assumed that would have been fixed afrer the Washington fiasco. Kid needs to get it together. Plenty of time to get it fixed. 

I read an article today that the author (I have no idea who it was) was adament that Blue would end up being the #1 back due to him having another gear and he's running between the tackles. I wish I would have saved it. Fml. 

49 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's not good hearing Baxter losing a fumble. I assumed that would have been fixed afrer the Washington fiasco. Kid needs to get it together. Plenty of time to get it fixed. 

I read an article today that the author (I have no idea who it was) was adament that Blue would end up being the #1 back due to him having another gear and he's running between the tackles. I wish I would have saved it. Fml. 

I believe this. I think Blue is going to be the better back.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

They complement each other perfectly IMO. Blue will likely make more splash plays and fans will probably be bitching for him to get more carries, but he wouldn’t be as effective without Baxter 

• Hook 'Em 6

On 4/5/2024 at 6:45 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

So, uh, to get back on topic, who's standing out so far after 8 practices. Let's hope these recruits see some bad ass work from the WR's and the DB'S + safeties show major improvement. The team has to show out well, especially considering we have the top 4 WR's in attendance, as well as the top 3-4 DB'S. 

I hear Michael Taaffe is looking like an All-American.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Let's hope he turns into Earl Thomas. Fingers crossed 

Taaffe is a future longhorn legend. Mark my words. He is a coach on the field now and he will very likely be a coach off the field when his playing days are over. He just has IT.

45 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Taaffe is a future longhorn legend. Mark my words. He is a coach on the field now and he will very likely be a coach off the field when his playing days are over. He just has IT.

Carrying his lunch pail. 

But seriously, I'd bet you're right that he becomes a really good coach when his playing days are over. He's a smart kid who gets it. Shit, I'd take him as an analyst right now. 

4 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I’ve been saying you can’t convince me this isn’t a 310lb nose tackle 

image.png.010cb611e6a58509f44bac075b302ad9.png

Ever since I first saw his roster photo I thought he had that Ezekiel Elliott style face/body disconnect. Of course, Zeke went on to add a few (several) pounds to make it more of a match, but I agree with your Blue take. And put me in the “Blue will be the lead back before it’s said and done” camp. Just too explosive, sees the hole better, and we need to see CJ overcome his nagging injury issues. I think Blue is gonna crush it this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

They call him Michael "Saltwater" Taaffe because he lurks like a crocodile, daring the QB to throw it over the middle.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Team Notes from Scrimmage No. 1 - OTF

Hide contents

Texas was on the field this morning for the first scrimmage of the spring season. Some notes that were passed on to On Texas Football following the live action.

– RG DJ Campbell did not finish the scrimmage in pads and was treated with an ice wrap on his shoulder. 

When Campbell was out of the lineup, Neto Umeozulu was the filler at right guard with Hayden Conner occupying the left guard position.

– I am told the offense had a very strong day in the red zone today with multiple conversions consecutively in a designed goal-to-go period of practice. Ewers had a pair of touchdowns in the session, and the OL was able to create push for scores as well.

– OTF also learned Texas OL Payton Kirkland was seen getting individual work with the training staff on the back field during the first half of practice. Kirkland has been recovering from a knee injury suffered last year.

– From a recruiting perspective, OTF has learned five-star ATH Jonah Williams took a trip midway through the scrimmage to Disch-Falk Field. First pitch for Texas Baseball in the rubber match with BYU this afternoon is at 2:30 p.m., so Williams was able to catch some pregame warmups and views of the Disch.

Shit. Don’t take recruits to the baseball games, Texas is playing like ass this season. 

• Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

13 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

12 hours ago, Newy25 said:

This is our running back 1b. Not a situational player. I think he has 1000 all purpose yards this year. 

Blue was the better back at the end of last season and it wasn't particularly close. Baxter is getting the hype because he was the 5 star and you'd expect a bigger jump from a player going from year 1 to 2 than one going from 2 to 3, but I don't think it's a hot take to say Blue will be heavily involved or will be the best back. That'd just mean picking up where things left off (ideally a better version where both have made progress).

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He is a very highly rated mlb prospect who wants to continue playing baseball.

My point still stands. Texas just lost two of three to worst team in conference, I might have just told him they were on road. 

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Blue was the better back at the end of last season and it wasn't particularly close. Baxter is getting the hype because he was the 5 star and you'd expect a bigger jump from a player going from year 1 to 2 than one going from 2 to 3, but I don't think it's a hot take to say Blue will be heavily involved or will be the best back. That'd just mean picking up where things left off (ideally a better version where both have made progress).

I'm with you. I think Blue is the better back. He's better at running through tackles, his vision is better, and he's clearly a fast mf'er. I think by the 3rd game it'll be 50/50 and slowly move more towards 60/40, and if he balls out like we expect, it's another RB Choice can point to making the NFL in hopefully the late 1st/early 2nd. 

On 3rd and Longhorn Blue mentioned that Choice told him he's a better Gibbs, and I don't think Choice just pulled that out of his ass. 

RB is going to be interesting. I think Burton has a pretty good eye at RB. That makes me really curious to  Christian Clark. I wasn’t very impressed with Blue or Baxter last year. I don’t think either locked up the spot. Blue has ball security and blocking issues. Baxter ran tentative at times. Sark trotting Baxter out to talk to the media is a clear sign he is at the top of the depth chart. Plenty of potential in the room, will be fun to see if someone emerges 

11 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

RB is going to be interesting. I think Burton has a pretty good eye at RB. That makes me really curious to  Christian Clark. I wasn’t very impressed with Blue or Baxter last year. I don’t think either locked up the spot. Blue has ball security and blocking issues. Baxter ran tentative at times. Sark trotting Baxter out to talk to the media is a clear sign he is at the top of the depth chart. Plenty of potential in the room, will be fun to see if someone emerges 

You weren't impressed with Blue last year? That's a first. Even those of us who wrote him off multiple times are kind of giddy over him now.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Baxter is going to be much improved next year.

I also expect Blue to take a huge jump because he is talented, but he also has a massive carrot going into this year and has been going about his business as such. 

Both guys will be needed heavily this year. If the OL can run block more consistently this year, both guys and maybe a third will eat. 

Edited by Atticus

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You weren't impressed with Blue last year? That's a first. Even those of us who wrote him off multiple times are kind of giddy over him now.

I thought he was kind of as advertised. Speed was always there, the question was would he develop to be a complete RB. If you get chalkboard blocking, he is the RB I want with the ball. Like to see both Baxter and Blue show more between the tackles. Run harder. He had 2-3 fumbles with like 60-70 carries. That isn’t going work. In the last 4 games of the season Blue had a higher YPC rating once (Tech),  compared to Baxter 

Edited by Codaxx

Posted (edited)

Baxter has to learn to like contact a bit more to improve.  At the end of the season he had a couple runs that were an improvement on that but he also had a game where he had 18 carries and 1 yard of YAC..   

Edited by Hook1997

15 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Like to see both Baxter and Blue show more between the tackles. Run harder.

I don't see this, at all. Blue does run hard. We had him running short yardage stuff towards the end of the season, and he looked good doing it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You weren't impressed by Blue  lol wut? 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Ever since I first saw his roster photo I thought he had that Ezekiel Elliott style face/body disconnect. Of course, Zeke went on to add a few (several) pounds to make it more of a match, but I agree with your Blue take. And put me in the “Blue will be the lead back before it’s said and done” camp. Just too explosive, sees the hole better, and we need to see CJ overcome his nagging injury issues. I think Blue is gonna crush it this year.

Ezekiel? 

pulp fiction hamburger GIF

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I’ve been saying you can’t convince me this isn’t a 310lb nose tackle 

image.png.010cb611e6a58509f44bac075b302ad9.png

Aer you talking about the fastest running back in college football? Cause that's who I think you are talking about.

Shades of Jamaal Charles. Speed power and vision. He will create touchdowns from nothing.

Edited by Thetexashammer