Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

I am on record as not thinking it would be smart to trade McCormick this year, but I do think it’s worth noting that the current expected crop of position players available at the deadline is extremely weak.  If the White Sox don’t shop Luis Robert and if the Angels hang on to Taylor Ward, McCormick would probably be the best position player available.

Posted (edited)

If they made up an injury and made it a rehab assignment, he could play for up to 20 days in the minors.  Jeff Bagwell don't care about numbers though and his ego says that Abreu is fixed.

Edited by kevwun

Unpopular opinion: Tucker needs to be traded this year.

Tucker has been one of my favorite players and I’d love to see him around for the better part of another decade but whatever remaining window we have is not only going to come slamming shut but also locked tight for the majority of that deal if it were to be made.

we’d have way too much money invested in way too few guys and absolutely no reinforcements coming through the minors.

Realistically, we’re going to be sitting around the Christmas tree 2025 without Tucker and no prospect haul, save a QO compensation pick. 

one trade will never re-stock an entire system, but a chip like Tucker could lay a pretty strong foundation.

I’m looking at the Red Sox. Kyle “Ted” Tucker playing where the actual Ted did. And we can reset with a guy that looks a lot like maybe the next Tucker (#17 prospect Roman Anthony…Florida kid, plus power, decent speed, solid arm). And also pull #12 Marcelo Mayer and move him to third when Bregman walks and find one or two other lottery tickets if the Sox will throw them in 

I would agree trade him if we kept going towards the shitter....but we are turning this bitch around(and gonna win the division) so he can stay.

I have never seen....and still don't... him taking an offer from us without testing the waters. So next season will be something

I do love Marcelo Mayer though

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

I would agree trade him if we kept going towards the shitter....but we are turning this bitch around(and gonna win the division) so he can stay.

I have never seen....and still don't... him taking an offer from us without testing the waters. So next season will be something

I do love Marcelo Mayer though

IMG_6221.jpeg

IMG_8624.jpeg

8 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Kessinger and Cabbage.  Neither have been playing anyway.  Singleton, Dubon, and Loperfido are going to lose playing time now.  Although it would not shock me if Yordan went on the IL or got a few games in a row off; he looks like he’s battling something in his arms/upper body.

I HATE that they are bringing back Abreu.  He was clearly washed up and all theyre doing is destroying their team momentum to satisfy somebody’s (Crane or Bagwell) ego and pay courtesy to a guy who couldn’t live up to the contract he signed.  Fucking stupid.

Hasn't the Astros front office noticed the team actually winning games recently.   

1. They dump abreu

2. Team starts winning 

3 team brings back abreu

WHAT?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

was pena ever a top 100 ?

Pre-2022 

Baseball America - #72

Baseball Propectus - #16 - they were all over him for 3 seasons.

FG had his FV at 55 - Above average regular 2.5 to 3.3 WAR, which is where his WAR has been the 1st 2 seasons, with this year being more closer to 60 because he's likely an AS if he keeps hitting.

So, Pena was properly rated as a prospect.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)

Astros signed Eric Lauer to a contract today and assigned him to AAA. He was awful last year, but was really good in both 2021 and 2022 for the Brewers posting a ERA+ of 130 and 109 respectively. He has opt out dates in his contract if he's still in the minors, but definitely gives the Astros some potential rotational depth. His career ERA+ of 95 would currently match Verlander and be the 4th best of the starters on the team.

If he hits then you could move Arrighetti or Brown into the bullpen and be able to trade a guy like Pressly.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Why Would You Do That Ross Geller GIF

Astros fan base is about 10% trash. They goto games for the free giveaways, then try to resell for cash. They steal those giveaways from other fans, to resell. These caps were bought up to be resold 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Astros fan base is about 10% trash. They goto games for the free giveaways, then try to resell for cash. They steal those giveaways from other fans, to resell. These caps were bought up to be resold 

10% is about 50% too low….

and goes for all of society, not just Astros fan base 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, UTexasFight said:

10% is about 50% too low….

and goes for all of society, not just Astros fan base 

Last year my dad had two give away rings to give to his brother and sister. Stolen from under his seat 

• Rage+1 3

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Last year my dad had two give away rings to give to his brother and sister. Stolen from under his seat 

That pisses me off

i’d have taken my 1988 Gulf-sponsored full-size bat giveaway to that asshole if I had the opportunity 

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Big 2-out rbi for Yainer

39 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

How'd he get two extra give aways?  Stole them?

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Yeah my friend said they are on eBay for $150-$175

Office Boss GIF