Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

8 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Now is where you admit you might have been a tad too reactionary about Dana Brown. 

I just want us to win and have the best team on the field. I’m not trying to win the internets here. I will give credit where credit is due. Ronel’s no-hitter last night is a feather in Dana’s cap. I just hope we get the reinforcements to our pitching staff that Dana is banking on in terms of a return to form for Javier and Framber, a return from injury for Garcia and McCullers, and the bullpen gelling with the spare parts in middle relief that’s been assembled. A lot has to go right for that to happen. I hope that it does.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Espada is the first manager in MLB history to get his first managerial win via a no-hitter.

This has to be extremely high on the list of things in baseball that will never happen again.

Awesome.

Dana Brown pitched a hell of a game last night. He called a great one too. Hitting two home runs didn’t hurt his batting average either. Dana also caught that line drive in foul territory that almost took that fan out. He fried a hell of a corn dog too. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

In the span of 1 year + 8 games, we’ve had the luxury to see 3 no-hitters. Each started by guys currently in the starting rotation.

when’s the last time a team has had an active starting rotation with 3 starters with a No-hitter in that short of a timeframe?

guessing never 

14 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

In the span of 1 year + 8 games, we’ve had the luxury to see 3 no-hitters. Each started by guys currently in the starting rotation.

when’s the last time a team has had an active starting rotation with 3 starters with a No-hitter in that short of a timeframe?

guessing never 

Never from what I can see unless it was before the modern era and I got bored before I found it. https://www.espn.com/mlb/history/nohitters

You could likely get it in a 3 year period a few times

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, TejasPedro said:

Dana Brown pitched a hell of a game last night. He called a great one too. Hitting two home runs didn’t hurt his batting average either. Dana also caught that line drive in foul territory that almost took that fan out. He fried a hell of a corn dog too. 

dana brown served some damn fresh peanuts pre game 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Can someone post this article ?

You can get an offer for an Athletic subscription for $1 a month for 12 months.

The athletic is at least worth that

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

You can get an offer for an Athletic subscription for $1 a month for 12 months.

The athletic is at least worth that

They signed with Texags and said it was because of their great journalism. They may have severed the relationship (I think they did at least)  but nobody that stupid and/or blatantly greedy will ever get my money if I can get their shit for free. Ever. 

That plus Mandel is annoying. 

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

They signed with Texags and said it was because of their great journalism. They may have severed the relationship (I think they did at least)  but nobody that stupid and/or blatantly greedy will ever get my money if I can get their shit for free. Ever. 

That plus Mandel is annoying. 

You'd hope they would have dropped aggy when they got that NY times $$$.

Mandel is annoying yes.

But they do a decent enough job covering the Astros and it's a lot cheaper than a chronicle subscription 

17 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

You'd hope they would have dropped aggy when they got that NY times $$$.

Mandel is annoying yes.

But they do a decent enough job covering the Astros and it's a lot cheaper than a chronicle subscription 

I think I pay 2.30 a quarter for the chronicle website or something silly like that.  I pay $12 for the Athletic.  Athletic is much more value but constantly pisses me off with who they hire to cover Houston.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

guessing never 

Is that good?  That seems good.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

We do have something, another no-hitter and several new MLB firsts

Haha

yes but no-hitters are often notoriously flash in the pans (The Rat has two for chrissakes). I’m looking for real stabilization in the back end of the rotation until the calvary arrives and cautiously optimistic we found it. 

Edited by UTexasFight

Yes, sorry for my pedantic joke. I feel pretty good about his ability to keep it together. The guy is built like a house and if he can keep that fastball 93-95 and locate that changeup on a regular basis, watch out. 

Obviously the league will adjust to his first game throwing changeup on more than a third of his pitches. But if he can continue to locate and “tunnel” as they say these days, no reason to think he will be just a flash in the pan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Wait, Diaz can actually bat the day after he got 2 home runs? I didn't think that was allowed. 

Yeah I about lost it when I read from the bottom up and saw Caratini was catching …before realizing diaz was at least dh’ing

• Hook 'Em 1