Duck boat sinks in Branson, at least 13 dead

Celery Man

It is a result of gas absorbed in your tissues under pressure (from depth under water), expanding when the pressure is released (ascending).
if you’re only down at 40 feet for a few seconds, history tells us you won’t absorb much gas.  Deeper for longer and it starts to approach problem time.  There are tables and dive computers that will tell you how deep/long is safe.
there is also something called an expansion injury where you take a deep breath at depth and then don’t exhale as you ascend.

But he’s right, those things only happen if you’re breathing compressed air under water. That’s why free divers don’t get the bends or gas embolisms.

8 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

But he’s right, those things only happen if you’re breathing compressed air under water. That’s why free divers don’t get the bends or gas embolisms.

Well we’re pretty far off track from duck boat sinking now but, I would rather speak truth to silliness than maintain order.

Free divers do get the bends - you’re wrong.

http://www.skin-diver.com/departments/ScubaMed/FreedivingCauseDCS.asp?theID=626

On 7/29/2018 at 7:08 PM, CoTex said:

Ama, the topless Japanese female pearl divers, on surfacing exhale with a long whistling sound to prevent the bends. 

You don't have to be diving to be susceptible. 300 feet below Milwaukee there is a 17 mile long system of tunnels created to prevent sewage overflows into Lake Michigan during thunderstorms. Each worksite had a hyperbaric chamber in the event of decompression sickness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoogey said:

Ama, the topless Japanese female pearl divers, on surfacing exhale with a long whistling sound to prevent the bends. 

You don't have to be diving to be susceptible. 300 feet below Milwaukee there is a 17 mile long system of tunnels created to prevent sewage overflows into Lake Michigan during thunderstorms. Each worksite had a hyperbaric chamber in the event of decompression sickness.

If you ever think your job sucks, remember, at least you don’t have decompression sickness in a sewage tunnel underneath Milwaukee.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stoogey said:

Say what now?

• Like 1

Well we’re pretty far off track from duck boat sinking now but, I would rather speak truth to silliness than maintain order.

Not on single dives. It has to be loads and loads of repetitive dives to saturate the blood, as with the one weird oddball case you managed to dig up. Doesn’t apply to these folks.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, CoTex said:

Ain't nothing free.

• 2 months later...

damn. this is a bold strategy from the duckboat owners.

https://www.ajc.com/news/how-1851-law-being-used-deny-liability-duck-boat-tragedy-that-killed/zz9L6viFpJVDkGE2TkKi1H/

The companies, Branson Duck Vehicles and Ripley Entertainment, cited an 1851 maritime law to limit or eliminate liability for the tragedy that killed 17 people in July, according to Tia Coleman's lawyers. 

In a filing in federal court in Missouri, the defendants denied negligence in the sinking of the boat. But the filing said that if a court does find negligence, their liability is zero. That's because "the Vessel was a total loss and has no current value. No freight was pending on the Vessel."          

damn. this is a bold strategy from the duckboat owners.
https://www.ajc.com/news/how-1851-law-being-used-deny-liability-duck-boat-tragedy-that-killed/zz9L6viFpJVDkGE2TkKi1H/

The companies, Branson Duck Vehicles and Ripley Entertainment, cited an 1851 maritime law to limit or eliminate liability for the tragedy that killed 17 people in July, according to Tia Coleman's lawyers. 

In a filing in federal court in Missouri, the defendants denied negligence in the sinking of the boat. But the filing said that if a court does find negligence, their liability is zero. That's because "the Vessel was a total loss and has no current value. No freight was pending on the Vessel."          

Just to be clear the Limitation of Liability Act is not some obscure/ancient/never used law. Yes it dates back ages, but is regularly used by Defendant’s in maritime cases today.

I think I currently have 5 cases where the shipowner has filed a Petition under the act in an attempt to limit what my injured Client can recover.

11 minutes ago, ERhine said:

Just to be clear the Limitation of Liability Act is not some obscure/ancient/never used law. Yes it dates back ages, but is regularly used by Defendant’s in maritime cases today.

I think I currently have 5 cases where the shipowner has filed a Petition under the act in an attempt to limit what my injured Client can recover.

What's the rationale?  Assumed risk?

18 minutes ago, ERhine said:

You've got 5 cases where people were hurt on boats?

What's the rationale?  Assumed risk?

Rationale being it was 1851 and Congress wanted to help out/encourage development of maritime industry. I think there were similar provisions a number of other countries had in place, and Congress wanted to equalize the playing field.

It applies to more than just personal injury/death claims. Applies to collisions/allisions, cargo loss, sunk vessels, etc.

On 7/20/2018 at 9:35 AM, kevwun said:

It didn't because it wasn't designed for open water.  It was supposed to ferry men from larger ships to shore where it would be going with the waves on to the beach and then once inland to be able to cross rivers.  The top that they added to it just made it ride lower in the water.  Whoever was driving it should have turned with the wind and headed for the closest land.  That thing had no chance going in to the waves.

Wrong. First of all they shouldn't have been out there with pending bad weather, but when you get stuck out in it you NEVER want to turn with the wind. You want to keep the bow into the wind/waves. The fastest way to swamp a boat is to try to turn it around and have it sideways to big swells. If they had enough time to head to the nearest bank then fine,  but if not you have to keep the nose of the boat into the waves. And what a ridiculous looking boat. At least the owner has the balls to speak honestly and take responsibility. That boat definitely should not have been out there. What a fucking nightmare for those people  

Edited by immortal13

6 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Wrong. First of all they shouldn't have been out there with pending bad weather, but when you get stuck out in it you NEVER want to turn with the wind. You want to keep the bow into the wind/waves. The fastest way to swamp a boat is to try to turn it around and have it sideways to big swells. If they had enough time to head to the nearest bank then fine,  but if not you have to keep the nose of the boat into the waves. And what a ridiculous looking boat. At least the owner has the balls to speak honestly and take responsibility. That boat definitely should not have been out there. What a fucking nightmare for those people  

That's boat isn't capable of jogging in to the wind.  It doesn't have a bow like a ship designed for actual open water does.

5 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Speak honestly and takw responsibility? The same owner trying to weasel out of paying the victims? Real stand up guy, we should all be like him.

Apologoes if you meant some other owner but this one is proving to be a piece of shit.

That isn't what I meant and i didn't know about any "weaseling". I'm just saying in response to the post about him making a remark the insurance company wouldn't like. Sounds like he was making an honest statement as to the boat being out there or not.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The shape.  It can't cut waves and they will break right over the front of it and swamp it.

Ok gotcha. In that case as a captain, I would have bee-lined to the nearest bank. If there wasn't a near bank, then the next option is still bow into the wind....no other choice.

Edited by immortal13