Duck boat sinks in Branson, at least 13 dead

Celery Man

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/branson-missouri-ride-the-ducks-tours-boat-capsizes-table-rock-lake-today-2018-07-19/

BRANSON, Mo. -- At least 13 people, including children, died after a boat carrying tourists on a Missouri lake capsized and sank Thursday night, the local sheriff said. Stone County Sheriff Doug Rader said five people remain missing and seven others were hospitalized after a Ride the Ducks boat sank on Table Rock Lake in Branson.

4 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
43 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:
Looks like a storm blew up on them while they were on the water.  The water got pretty violent.    If you see this video, you will see the water.  Only the strongest swimmers could survive that.

Video of Duck Boats in Storm

Ok. I was wondering why they would go out in that kind of weather in a duck boat.

$$$$

The people, I don't know. They figure if the captain is going it must be ok. maybe the weather hit after thy got out there.

Edited by po elvis

There was plenty of warning that afternoon from the weather service and the radar.  It was a long line of storms formed several hours earlier, not something that 'just popped up.'  No one at Duckboat of Death Tours had a phone?  Easy to check the radar, even easier to check the weather service.  Inexcusable to decide to go out there, either the owner or yesterday's manager needs to go to jail.

Press conference now:  13 dead, 4 still missing.  Sank in 40' of water, now sitting in 80', divers will go back later today to retrieve the remaining bodies.

Edited by clapclapclap

A one year old. FUCK. That makes me sick. 

And I'm sure this guy's insurance company will love this answer. He should have just said families of those that died please go ahead and sue me.

The owner of the duck boat tour company involved in the incident, told "CBS This Morning" on Friday the boat "shouldn't have been in the water."

"I don't have all the details, but to answer your question, no, it shouldn't have been in the water if, if what happened, happened," he said when asked why the tour continued in such rough conditions.

59 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'm not sure that boat had much of a chance, big, odd shaped, single screw... dont know about the engine, but I'm guessing its seen better days. Wind took hold of that boat and sank it. Tragic

It didn't because it wasn't designed for open water.  It was supposed to ferry men from larger ships to shore where it would be going with the waves on to the beach and then once inland to be able to cross rivers.  The top that they added to it just made it ride lower in the water.  Whoever was driving it should have turned with the wind and headed for the closest land.  That thing had no chance going in to the waves.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

Unfortunate wording:

Laugh and Learn by Land and Lake on this quack-tastic sightseeing adventure. Get a duck’s-eye view on our 70-minute tour through the Branson Entertainment District, over Table Rock Dam, and through the beautiful Ozarks. Fun for all ages, this amphibious vehicle makes its rolling entrance into Table Rock Lake.

Every sightseeing adventure includes about 30 minutes on beautiful Table Rock Lake, a scenic, natural, Ozark treasure. During the lake cruise, you can take the wheel of your Duck as it tours the calm and clear waters of Table Rock Lake. 

Ride The Ducks

Edited by jimmyjazz

6 minutes ago, smuggs said:

There's an island with trees on it ~40 yards from the boat. Spin that piece of shit around and run it up on the rocks. 

Yeah...this.  I've been in a boat in water that turned rough in a hurry.  While we were able to make it back to port, we were also keeping an eye on the beach -- if it got too hairy, we'd go WITH the waves and get to safety, and worry about how to re-float the boat later.  But man, sometimes you get tunnel vision of "if I can just make it back to port."

This may be a stupid question, but assuming you knew capsizing was inevitable (which I am sure none of these people did) would you have a better chance just abandoning ship before hand?  Is the risk of getting trapped underwater on a capsized boat worse than being in rough water any longer than you have to?

17 minutes ago, midtown said:

Damn.  Poor kids.  Better believe I'd grab my two kids and be out one of those windows and swim our asses to the shore

man, i'm a decent swimmer, but those are ocean like waves.  i've tried swimming a survival situation with one kid-  it's hard enough in a pool with him struggling.  two kids in waves like that, you wouldn't make it five yards.  best bet is to somehow get the boat turned with the wind.

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

This may be a stupid question, but assuming you knew capsizing was inevitable (which I am sure none of these people did) would you have a better chance just abandoning ship before hand?  Is the risk of getting trapped underwater on a capsized boat worse than being in rough water any longer than you have to?

Fear of water especially rough open water when you are at least on something that is currently floating and aren't a strong swimmer is very powerful.   I know a lot of people who are very high level competitive pool swimmers but are scared of open water races. 

Edited by midtown

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

it's hard enough in a pool with him struggling.  two kids in waves like that, you wouldn't make it five yards.

I'd make it.  No doubt about it but I've also won numerous ocean and lake 1 and 2 mile swims.  And I know how to shed clothing asap.  And my kids are excellent swimmers.   I doubt anyone on that boat had that type of swim experience. 

Edited by midtown

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Do life vests keep you afloat in waves like that?

Yes and No depending on a ton of variables. At the very least they should have bought people time to be rescued. It wouldn't be like being in a pool with one on but depending on the type they had and if they were on properly, in most cases should have saved a few lives. 

I don't know if this was part of the same system that hit eastern Kansas a few hours earlier but there were numerous reports of 80+ mph straight line winds with the front that came through my neck of the woods yesterday afternoon.  That said the NWS was spitting out severe thunderstorm warnings an hour before it hit up here and there is a NWS forecast office in Springfield.  You would think a weather radio would have been a worthy investment for that type of business.

The crazy thing is the tour only spends 20-30 minutes on water.  How could you not know -- hell, how could you not SEE a thunderstorm is rolling in time to get to dry land? 

It's a big lake, I've boated on it many times.  Visibility is not an issue.

32 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

man, i'm a decent swimmer, but those are ocean like waves.  i've tried swimming a survival situation with one kid-  it's hard enough in a pool with him struggling.  two kids in waves like that, you wouldn't make it five yards.  best bet is to somehow get the boat turned with the wind.

Doing the odds in my head I would think the risk of the boat capsizing was less than my chances swimming to shore (especially if I have small children or old people to save too).  I would, however, be right at the damn edge of the seat so I could get out if the thing sank instead of getting caught under the canopy.

Edited by 'stache

23 minutes ago, midtown said:

There should have been coast guard approved vests on-board.  First sign of heavy waves and everyone should have had those on and they would have kept people afloat for a good while even in heavy waves. 

This.  Captain should have had everyone put on a life jacket once that storm kicked in.

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

This.  Captain should have had everyone put on a life jacket once that storm kicked in.

The canopy had to cause problems though.  If the boat sinks and they're caught under the canopy, I'm not sure a life jacket would help.

• Like 1