Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Patrick Bateman

52 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Both trailers are good. The first one reverently treats them as Gods, the second one shows them going all-out in slugfests. They play off each other well.

Every time someone tries to pack a Godzilla movie with mindless action, it bombs. The whole point of the violence and the character is the underlying message. That's why Shin Gojira was a hit in Japan.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, MissingInAction said:

Godzilla sprinting with a squad of jet fighters in support sent me from 6 to midnight. 

Same.  One of my favorite shots...and if Godzilla is helping us fight, even more awesome.

On 7/23/2018 at 10:03 PM, Helobious said:

You might be the dumbest poster ever made, because Godzilla & Mothra are teaming up for this.

Fun fact: Godzilla is the longest continuously-running movie franchise in history. I’m stoked as fuck for this, huge Godzilla nerd.

first godzilla 1954, first king kong 1933.  How are we calculating this fact?

3 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

first godzilla 1954, first king kong 1933.  How are we calculating this fact?

I really don't know, but fuck Kong. Ask the Guiness Book of World Records. "Continuous production" are the keywords I guess. 

• Longest continuously running film franchise: Its latest installment in 2014 extended theGodzilla franchise over a total span of 60 years, and counting.

Godzilla continues to have sequels in production and therefore is worthy of the title.  King Kong has had a number of stoppages during it tenure.  It was dormant from the 30’s to the 60’s, when a Godzilla story brings him back into relevance. King Kong was dormant again after a film in the 80’s until Jackson’s version.  King Kong has 8 feature films and 3 of them are simply retelling da of the same story.  No doubt Godzilla is King of the Monsters....

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

With Godzilla movies I always wonder, couldn't a handful of 1950s era Air-2 Genie rockets take down that fucker in a few seconds?  Godzilla may be pretty tough, but there's no way he's standing up to a few kilotons.  

You know his origin story is that he was created by a nuclear bomb, right? The Oxygen Destroyer killed him in the original movie, but since then he's like a skyscraper-sized version of The Hulk. Insane healing ability combined with nearly impenetrable skin make him basically indestructible. He was created by nuclear bombs, has survived countless explosions and his cells even survived passing through a black hole, which created SpaceGodzilla. He did die due to an internal nuclear meltdown in Godzilla vs Destroyah, but his son absorbed his radiated energy and mutated into a new Godzilla. In GMK, probably the best of the Millenium Godzilla movies, he was virtually destroyed by a special rocket after an insane battle with a bunch of other monsters. But his still-beating heart is shown on the ocean floor at the very end. He really can't die. 

Duh. 

• Like 2

On 12/13/2018 at 7:19 PM, Helobious said:

You know his origin story is that he was created by a nuclear bomb, right? The Oxygen Destroyer killed him in the original movie, but since then he's like a skyscraper-sized version of The Hulk. Insane healing ability combined with nearly impenetrable skin make him basically indestructible. He was created by nuclear bombs, has survived countless explosions and his cells even survived passing through a black hole, which created SpaceGodzilla. He did die due to an internal nuclear meltdown in Godzilla vs Destroyah, but his son absorbed his radiated energy and mutated into a new Godzilla. In GMK, probably the best of the Millenium Godzilla movies, he was virtually destroyed by a special rocket after an insane battle with a bunch of other monsters. But his still-beating heart is shown on the ocean floor at the very end. He really can't die. 

Duh. 

You made me think of the original movie. It always got me that the scientist thought he would impress the girl by killing the fish and turning them into skeletons. Why not just electrocute a cat? 

• 5 months later...
18 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Saw it today & loved it. Weak storyline & characters but who gives a shit. 

Has roughly 400x more monster fighting scenes than the 2014 movie. 

Fuck yah. Going Sunday 

This was big, loud, silly, and fun as shit.  The overall plot is ridiculous and full of holes and inconsistencies but who gives a fuck.  Godzilla (or Kong) has never been about ultra high brow storylines or dialogue.  It's about popcorn fun of seeing monsters beat the shit out of each other.  This was way better than the last movie which was dark, sullen, and took itself way, way too seriously.  It was campy as fuck, even some of the F/X was campy as shit and it was hilariously fun.

Oh, and Zhang Ziyi, who you might recognize from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is still smoke.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

On 5/31/2019 at 9:05 PM, Neonmoon said:

Just got back. The special effects, monsters, and monster fights were thoroughly enjoyable and worth it. The human plot was retarded and many of the actors were horribly cast. If you can ignore that, you will love the monsters. 

Yep.  Dude sitting next to me smelled like ass.  Not the most enjoyable experience.  Assigned seating is good and terrible.  Saw it on the 270 degree screen thing, it was rarely used.

All the kaijus we saw on screen:

• Gozilla
  • Mothra
  • Rodan
  • King Ghidorah
  • Muto 1 and 2 (flashbacks from 2014) and 3 (awakened in Godzilla: KOM)
  • Behemoth (gorilla/wooly mammoth thing)
  • Scylla (spider)
  • Methuselah (the one with the forest on its back in Germany)

All the ones on the computer screens:

• Mokele-Mbembe
  • Baphomet
  • Tiamat
  • Typhoon
  • Abaddon
  • Leviathan
  • Sargon
  • Bunyip

And Kong is #17